• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Age of Camelot is still actively maintained and still receives a butt load of expansions
Same goes for all the recent Korean MMOs that chose to use it.
Again no the netcode and network features of Gamebryo are plentyfull and aren't to blame here either since they work just fine on any other MMO projects made with it.

I'm of course talking about the fork used by Bethesda.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
But this is exactly the thing: it's not the codebase.

The codebase isn't making faces look shitty, animation be janky, and gameplay be buggy. It's Bethesda's management not prioritizing art direction, quality asset and animation production, and QA that's resulting in these things.

Bethesda could come out tomorrow and say "we're using Unreal Engine now" and it wouldn't fix shit.
There are significant issues with Bethedsda games where it absolutely is the codebase though.

(Now I'm slightly concerned that "codebase" will be the next buzzword on they Youtube cycle :P)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's not entirely misguided imo, because the framework the systems are built upon, the iterations over and over they've built upon has engrained into it a lot of the issues that have persisted.

You can not honestly tell me if they scraped it all and went to an entirely new engine that they would still have the physics tied to the frame rate and other problems that have existed through multiple games of theirs? That they'd purposely embed a new engine with these same problems? I wouldn't think so.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Gamebryo was made with MMOs in mind, and quite a few were made in it.
This I didn't know.

Though it should be noted that a game is more than a graphics engine. Bethesda is quite correct in saying that their engine isn't Gamebryo. They have a lot of systems in their engine that core Gamebryo does not have. The issues they suffer has less to do with graphics, but rather the stuff that they added.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm not sure what to think of this article to be honest (saying that as a gamedev).

Of course Bethesda's engine evolves over time, but a lot of it reads like an apology for a company which is not really caring about improving their engine (or changing it if they really can't).
Then on top of that, saying that game engines don't have a default look for the most part is just plain wrong. That obviously doesn't mean you can't customize your engine to look different, but it's usually relatively easy to tell from a glance what game is using what. Less nowadays, thanks to better tools, which is great. An engine can evolve a lot "internally", in terms of tools, etc, but not necessarily in terms of output.
And those results shown in Bethesda games are not really due to ambition, especially as it implies that it's not possible to have good looking games with ambition, nor is it possible to do so without tons of bugs (some relatively simple and easy to see).

It would have been a lot more interesting to really explain what a game engine is and how it works (this is vague at best here, not even high-level) than this weird article defending Bethesda's Creation Engine's "evolution" (or rather lack of) over the years and speculating on its future. It's not really making a point.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
That is wildly missing the point of all the Bethesda criticism regardless if someone is using "engine" correctly or not.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
There are significant issues with Bethedsda games where it absolutely is the codebase though.

This is the part of this conversation that is getting under my skin. I don't understand how you can see defects that persist across multiple titles more than a decade and tell me that engine / pipeline isn't compromised. Sure, players trying to shove 100% of defects under "jank" is misguided; a lot of the defects in Bethesda titles can be fixed within that game's cycle. Hell, tons of them are just basic scripting errors that have jack shit to do with their toolset. But there are definitely systemic issues here that would absolutely get addressed by rebuilding a new pipeline around a completely different core toolset, even if they might create new ones.

senj

Nov 6, 2017

(Now I'm slightly concerned that "codebase" will be the next buzzword on they Youtube cycle :P)
(Clinton voice) I guess it depends on what we mean by codebase...

The shitty art direction aside, most of the bugs I see strike me as bugs in gameplay scripts that didn't get caught in QA, and switching to some other engine probably isn't going to make the gameplay scripting any less janky.

I'm not saying the engine itself is without bugs in its own right, but I don't think when people complain about "bugs in the codebase" they're mostly meaning scripting bugs.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

The codebase isn't making faces look shitty, animation be janky, and gameplay be buggy. It's Bethesda's management not prioritizing art direction, quality asset and animation production, and QA that's resulting in these things.

Bethesda could come out tomorrow and say "we're using Unreal Engine now" and it wouldn't fix shit.
I don't know where it was sourced from, or if it was verified and still applies, but the information quoted in this post makes me think that the codebase has some fundamental flaws:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...s-misguided-kotaku.80983/page-3#post-14980961

Oct 27, 2017
So I am reading the other articles that are linked from the Kotaku article. They all mention that the engine is modified as well. I do not understand how the Kotaku article is much different other than trying to call them out for something that really isnt there. There is really no more information in the Kotaku article about what is changing than what is in the linked articles. Confused.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I think that it isn't reasonable to expect your average consumer to be able to root cause any given issue accurately, or from a distance. On the other, Bethesda in this case being the knowledgeable party, should be able to take those (misguided or not) complaints, and interpret and forward them correctly to those that can make the necessary changes to meet the level of quality that is expected of them.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's not entirely misguided imo, because the framework the systems are built upon, the iterations over and over they've built upon has engrained into it a lot of the issues that have persisted.

You can not honestly tell me if they scraped it all and went to an entirely new engine that they would still have the physics tied to the frame rate and other problems that have existed through multiple games of theirs? That they'd purposely embed a new engine with these same problems? I wouldn't think so.
Again no timings and tying something like physics to a capped frame rate is a configuration choice in most engines.
(Otherwise japanese studios wouldn't use Unreal for fighting games if they couldn't tie up damage to frame timings )

It's not the hammer the problem it's the blacksmith the problem here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Technical debt and software rot (in this case active rot where continuing to modify software it begins to lose its integrity) is very much a thing. Lack of modernization, slapping on features, to lack of optimization, it gets tougher to do the longer it goes. So it can be very much both Bethesda's management and the engine causing problems.

Jun 26, 2018
Man, Schreier's really got a thorn in his side when it comes to YouTubers, huh...

Bethesda games being a buggy mess at launch is more the exception than the rule at this point, and I can't fault people for looking for something to blame it on when it keeps happening, again and again, despite the fact that Bethesda seems to put a lot of money into the games.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know where it was sourced from, or if it was verified and still applies, but the information quoted in this post makes me think that the codebase has some fundamental flaws:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...s-misguided-kotaku.80983/page-3#post-14980961

Thanks, it's an interesting read. And yeah, it sounds like some of what they've added on in terms of modules they've had to add because of engine limitations, and the modules themselves are buggy.

So sure, an engine upgrade would let them throw out some of their work and use, say, a stock inverse kinematics setup or w/e. But if your QA processes are letting through a bunch of buggy extensions to Gamebryo you're probably going to end up letting through a bunch of buggy customizations to whatever engine you end up working with, honestly. You've just traded buggy IK for buggy-some-other-customization.

And god knows all of the gameplay scripting bugs are likely to continue apace. I still think the primary problem at BGS, aside from the appalling art, is a real deprioritization of QA and bug fixing in favor of a "the fanbase doesn't care" attitude.

Sindee

Banned
Oct 26, 2018
Changing code in the engine to optimize performance for a given platform is integral to the enjoyment of set game; unfortunately Bethesda has a history of not optimizing their games for each platform. They also have a habit of shipping their games as is; which at times makes me wonder if they even have a QA team at all.

I think the reason why people want a 'new engine' is because they feel that a new engine with a positive track record on performance, optimization, scalability and visuals will allow Bethesda to focus on the game itself instead of the technical side. And I can't blame them. People want Bethesda to maximize the positive sides of their games while minimizing the negative parts. And while I do believe that a new engine can help alleviate and offset some of the problems, I am not 100% sure it will fix everything. Realistically speaking the option of a new engine is only even possible for The Elder Scrolls 6 as Starfield is already too far in development.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Technical debt and software rot (in this case active rot where continuing to modify software it begins to lose its integrity) is very much a thing. Lack of modernization, slapping on features, to lack of optimization, it gets tougher to do the longer it goes. So it can be very much both Bethesda's management and the engine causing problems.
Yeah, I'm a senior software dev in a non-game field. I'm familiar with technical debt. I'm also familiar with the pitfalls of "we'll throw this shitheap out and get it right this time" project that just ends up trading bugs-you-knew-about for exciting-new-bugs-you-just-wrote, because you didn't address the underlying cultural and time pressures that keep you shipping bugs.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
This is funny because, very obviously, Jason Schreier doesn't know what he's talking about and he's way too dumb to realize it.

A "game engine", as used in discussions in forums and articles, IS NOT A PIECE OF TECH. Nor it is a "collection", as he says.

A game engine is an heuristic. It's a term in language that works like an umbrella and that encompasses the overall "look and feel" of playing a game. *Playing* it, not building it.

Of course the look of Morrowind or Oblivion doesn't PRECISELY correspond to the look of Skyrim or Fallout, but the analogies and the general feel are absolutely there. You could make an experiment and let someone play a Bethesda game without knowing it's Bethesda and he'll know, if he's competent, within minutes. And certainly not because that game would be very complex.

If an engine is an engine, then it provides a structure. No matter how much you WRESTLE it, the structure is a structure and by being structure it imposes itself and will create limits.

No matter how many times Bethesda explains how they rewrote everything in their engine, PLAYING those games will always reveal the truth. And the truth is that they are too scared to abandon the pipeline they used until this point because they cannot afford to wipe everything clean and restart from zero. Because IT IS indeed an engine, and they don't want to discard it.

And yet it's the same shit, as glaringly obvious to anyone who played even for 5 minutes. All Jason Schreier says falls apart right there because it is PROVEN by playing the game and realizing how the "engine" is still the same.

What Jason Schreier says is only vaguely correct in the sense that "engine" is not a word used precisely in this context. But it's only a discussion on the specific use and meaning of that word, and it doesn't even remotely touch the actual discussion that takes place when players criticize this "engine".
i cant tell if someone posted this from a meme template or not

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
But the article is not about people's complaints, it's about the string of inflammatory headlines titled "Bethesda says it won't change engines for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI" and why those headlines are meaningless.
Oh man, fucking thank you for posting this article. I was genuinely planning on making a thread on here about how gamers don't seem to understand that engines are an iterative process and that Bethesda will update their Creation Engine to suit their games. People seem to latch onto the negatives like "iTs a gAmeBrYo fOrK!!!!" when they haven't even used it in a decade but with Fallout 4, BGS introduced
  • Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading
It's super important to note that engines are iterative. Source 2 is an iteration on Source which is an iteration on Goldsrc which is an iteration on idTech 2.

There's been a bunch of improvements BGS Austin have made to the Creation Engine and Creation Kit. It's what modders are comfortable with and I don't see Bethesda dropping it at all. Mod support is a huge part of their games and it's what increases the longevity of em'.

I've noticed on here that 'engine' is a catch-all term that gamers use to blame a game's poor textures or animations on without actually knowing what a game engine's purpose is or what it serves to do. It's the fucking worst when YouTubers who don't know shit just spew misinformation they read on here and other forums to justify their hate for a game. Thanks for this write-up.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Technical debt and software rot (in this case active rot where continuing to modify software it begins to lose its integrity) is very much a thing. Lack of modernization and slapping on features to lack of optimization, it gets tougher to do the longer it goes.
That on the other hand is very much true.

An actual example you ask ? In Linux the display server that most distribution uses is named X11 sure when it comes to managing analog video it goes unbeaten and shines like mad. So why did the linux communities felt like they had to rebuild it from ground up by creating Wayland (basically very much the same theory the delivery being more modern) ?
Because configuring X11 has gotten arcany and very much unwieldy. Heck one of the reasons why the Linux team at Unity decided to adopt the SDL library is very much so that they don't have to deal with X11 directly and leave it to the SDL team to deal with "the old Linux black magic" .

So yes your code base can get messy and need a major overhaul so hardcore that you're better off starting from scratch all over again.

Yet that's not it in the case of Bethesda again Creation Engine isn't really to blame here . Again countless other games have been made with Gamebryo and didn't suffer any of the problems reproached to Bethesda.
So once again it's very much how the tool set is being used that's at stake here.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
You always have to choice to not buy and support their games if you dislike them this much.

All the thing you are complaining about seem more like development decision rather than big issues.

Framerate issue? Most likely a development decision seeing as how that method is used. Maybe not the best for an online game? Sure, but it is still a dev decision.

This is not about defending them, you can criticize them all you want but you basically are saying they should be able to fix this as if it was an act of magic, a flip of a switch. Just because they have all this money their games have to be perfect, zero issues, just because they are big enough to publish their own and other AAA games then this means any single mistake made by a human being is unacceptable.

This attitude is a bit entitled and again I saw it is ignorant of what software development is like.

Because in my sincere opinion they made certain development choices that worked for them during their development cycle(s) for this game or thoughour the years that they have reused here.

Does it have issues? For sure and many have pointed them out.

Is it a glitchy mess? Not really that is an exaggeration of the issues from my point of view having played their games.

It is a choice. jus think maybe at your job you make a choices because it works for the better of all even if it is not the best. I work in the software industry and I run across it a lot. It sucks and I am 100% sure Bethesda knows and cares, but sometimes you have to just move along with the project. They seems to have done so throughout multiple interactions of their franchise.

I think what people really want or should ask if for Bethesda to blow over and have a lot of turnover so a new group can make the game and maybe change the way they do things. As long as Todd and the same guys are working there they will keep doing things their way because it works for them. How hard is that to comprehend. It works, their games are successful so why should they spend more of their budget fixing these things? Happens every day. If there is a workaround then the issue is not that bad.

Expecting the game to work well and being angry when its a janky mess isn't entitlement. You are entitled to a working product that you paid for.

This shit wouldn't fly in any other profession. If I sent any customers a product that was completely fucked at times and had a "Well shit, we (or the community) will just fix it later(maybe)!" attitude my ass would be out of a job and company would go under real quick. Try this nonsense attitude with manufacturing especially and you will see how insane it is to have.

Games are the only hobby/product I have ever seen where it is alright to sell something fucked up/unfinished...and people will defend it. Floors me every time.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Plenty of people in the industry started out as modders (and in the days where it was possible, level creators). Plenty more have no interest in joining the industry, possibly because they already have jobs and don't want the pay cut.

Your "argument" is rubbish.
And that is very cool and I love it when it happens. I know Cliffy B started this way and I did mention people in my posts that have done this.

But that does not make my argument rubbish. It is a false equivalency. Not every modder has gotten a job and at least in the case of the criticism against Bethesda I have not seen the modder scene get a legitimate job with them to help them fix the issues people say they have.

I still stand by them making a development decision be it good or bad and people are just armchair developing for them because they do not understand their software development cycle. If not why doesn't a modder apply or try to get their attention? Like you said it has worked in the past and Bethesada for better or worse has a very big and good modding scene. So again why?

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It's not replicated because It's a useless feature to have. Look, if we're going to turn the discussion to just being about moving forks and knives around then sure bethesda are the best dev at it right now since valve. But the poster suggested that the "complexity of interactions and objects that can be manipulated." are not on the same level, which is frankly incorrect since these game offer far more advanced tech for physics and ai.
It's not incorrect, though, and you're not disputing the example I gave despite reducing it to "moving forks and knives around." The description I gave is of a system that is incredibly complicated and is not replicated elsewhere. If you don't think it adds value to the games, that's totally fair, but that wasn't the point of contention you had with Vincent Grayson initially. So, honestly, our interaction feels acrimonious but upon re-reading I can't see how we're not in agreement on the core point, which is fine by me.

Oct 27, 2017
Expecting the game to work well and being angry when its a janky mess isn't entitlement. You are entitled to a working product that you paid for.

This shit wouldn't fly in any other profession. If I sent any customers a product that was completely fucked at times and had a "Well shit, we (or the community) will just fix it later(maybe)!" attitude my ass would be out of a job and company would go under real quick. Try this nonsense attitude with manufacturing especially and you will see how insane it is to have.

Games are the only hobby/product I have ever seen where it is alright to sell something fucked up/unfinished...and people will defend it. Floors me every time.

Because making games/programs is hard. I know that sounds like an oversimplification. But it is true. There is no other place where you make abstract things that you control virtually and have to maneuver in that orientation. They will always be able to be broken in some sense. How much is acceptable is up to the individual.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR

Yeah, I am out after this comment because no one seems to understand my point.

I am not saying that is entitlement at all. I have said in most of my posts that the criticism is valid.

Saying this shit doesn't fly in any other profession is such a naive argument. You'd be surprised how much shit flies in different industries, how people cut corners because of time and budget. This statement is just very ignorant in my opinion.

The product Bethesda has released is not completely fucked up and that is just hyperbole.

Have you never seen a movie? A TV show? Have you used other kinds of software not related to gaming? Music? This happens in all of those industries/mediums. Again you have to be very naive to say what you have said. Maybe you are young and don't have real experience but if you are a working adult you should knows this happens a lot.

Just mentioning it is not dismissing criticism, that is valid. But assuming it is a lazy thing, an easy fix, they should know better? that is where the entitlement starts because it lacks the perspective of their work,.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
BGS introduced
  • Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading
None of these address the core issues with the engine.

These are mostly rendering features, one cannot just make a laundry list of rendering features. The quality of the implementation is also important.

If you wanted to mention something they did to the core , you could have mentioned their multithreading updates to the engine. But in this case adding this was very much running in place, as core engine features seem to burn CPU cycles while doing nothing useful.

This seems to be a clear cut case of technical debt, where improvements only exist to soak up long standing architectural defects. They could fix the cause of the defect, but as they have added things on top they can't.

Last edited:

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's not incorrect, though, and you're not disputing the example I gave despite reducing it to "moving forks and knives around." The description I gave is of a system that is incredibly complicated and is not replicated elsewhere. If you don't think it adds value to the games, that's totally fair, but that wasn't the point of contention you had with Vincent Grayson initially. So, honestly, our interaction feels acrimonious but upon re-reading I can't see how we're not in agreement on the core point, which is fine by me.
This is a totally valid point.

The performance issues are the result of tracking more than any of their peers do, way more in fact. To me, that's an absurd decision to make. I feel most people would favour more robust performance over a bucket still being where you left it after fifty hours, but it is their call to make, and people can't get enough of their games, so maybe I'm wrong.

This is also an issue that may subside naturally as we have more memory available. Although it still happens on PC where RAM is as plentiful as your money.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I'm a senior software dev in a non-game field. I'm familiar with technical debt. I'm also familiar with the pitfalls of "we'll throw this shitheap out and get it right this time" project that just ends up trading bugs-you-knew-about for exciting-new-bugs-you-just-wrote, because you didn't address the underlying cultural and time pressures that keep you shipping bugs.
I fully agree with both aspects of this (having done software development for over a decade now and seen -- and sometimes been responsible for -- excesses in either direction).
But there are some persistent classes of problems with every Bethesda game since Oblivion at least that I assume would have been fixed by now if they could be fixed by anything other than a major revision of some core components.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Jason Schreier: Defender of corporate interests.
What the flying fuck are you on about? How is the article in the OP defending corporate interests in any way? He's trying to deal with the issue of a game's engine being used as a catch-all scapegoat for all technical criticisms and the misinformation that comes from doing that.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I still stand by them making a development decision be it good or bad and people are just armchair developing for them because they do not understand their software development cycle. If not why doesn't a modder apply or try to get their attention? Like you said it has worked in the past and Bethesada for better or worse has a very big and good modding scene. So again why?

What are you even going on about? The problem isn't lack of people or lack of some special "secret modder" knowledge, they simply lack good decision making. They don't need a modder to come in and show them how to get proper widescreen support or whatever, they know -- or can hopefully figure out -- how to do it.

They just refuse to, presumably because the market pressure isn't there to get even something trivial fixed, much less larger issues.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off of the people saying Jason is defending the interest of the corporate involved. The corporate being BETHESDA of all gaming corporations.

Jesus christ. Good article that you guys completely took out of context, but ok.

Last edited:

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Really think we are arguing symantics here. I don't see what's misleading about describing the culmination of the software an engine even though it really is a bit more then that. Yes things can be moved changed fixed, the fear is the probability of reiteration of the no so great parts being built on top of rather then being built from the ground up. Do we really expect people to take the time to do a technical break down of the entire engine just to voice an opinion? I don't think any one is wrong here per say but wouldn't it be better to segway this into talking about people's concerns rather then summarize that an engine is made of multiple parts and calling out other outlets?

I feel like I can't call my car a car anymore because it's really a combination of mechanical and electronic parts.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
His article is simply arguing semantics. Substitute "engine" for "collection of software and tools with inspiration from past iterations" and the dissatisfaction with Bethesda's products remains unchanged.

With that said, I do think the scope of a Bethesda game in concert with budget and/or deadlines have much to do with all the bugs, so I agree with him in that regard.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off of the people saying Jason is defending the interest of the corporate involved. The corporate being BETHESDA of all gaming corporations.

Jesus christ. Good article that you guys completely take out of context, but ok.
Especially considering he wrote an article about Rockstar working conditions not too long ago and remained as unbiased as you possibly can in that situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Schreier's recent stint of articles telling people to calm down have been great lol. Enjoyed his Diablo Immortal and AC Odyssey microtransaction coverage too.

He's asking for proper nuance to gamer outrage. And honestly, he's not wrong to do so.

But at the same time, he's basing a lot of impressions off of gamer youtube culture (and comments) which isn't a fair representation. Assassins Creed was a critical and commercial success that fans of the franchise enjoyed. So ultimately, its a vocal minority of gamers he's addressing that has very little purchasing power.

Unless you fuck shit up so much like Battlefront 2.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Really think we are arguing symantics here. I don't see what's misleading about describing the culmination of the software an engine even though it really is a bit more then that. Yes things can be moved changed fixed, the fear is the probability of reiteration of the no so great parts being built on top of rather then being built from the ground up. Do we really expect people to take the time to do a technical break down of the entire engine just to voice an opinion? I don't think any one is wrong here per say but wouldn't it be better to segway this into talking about people's concerns rather then summarize that an engine is made of multiple parts and calling out other outlets?

The issue is that people's complaints are basically making the pitchforks turn to the wrong problem. if you want to blame the jank of the games, blame bethesda directly and their investment into making it significantly better, not the engine that they decide to use. People automatically hear new engine and think everything is overhauled when its not exactly the case. It depends on the effort the dev puts in.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
jschreier This "Super Plumber Adventure" game you brainstormed in this article has some real promise to it.

With my staggering business sense, I think we could have another "Quick Blue Mammal" success story on our hands. Call me. Let's do business.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I am out after this comment because no one seems to understand my point.

I am not saying that is entitlement at all. I have said in most of my posts that the criticism is valid.

Saying this shit doesn't fly in any other profession is such a naive argument. You'd be surprised how much shit flies in different industries, how people cut corners because of time and budget. This statement is just very ignorant in my opinion.

The product Bethesda has released is not completely fucked up and that is just hyperbole.

Have you never seen a movie? A TV show? Have you used other kinds of software not related to gaming? Music? This happens in all of those industries/mediums. Again you have to be very naive to say what you have said. Maybe you are young and don't have real experience but if you are a working adult you should knows this happens a lot.

Just mentioning it is not dismissing criticism, that is valid. But assuming it is a lazy thing, an easy fix, they should know better? that is where the entitlement starts because it lacks the perspective of their work,.

I've been in my profession for 15 years. I understand cutting corners when you have to but due to the fact people's lives depend on my code and products being right the first time because thats all you have, perhaps my point of view is a bit skewed.

Maybe that is my problem, I expect everyone to have the same quality standards I do and I get frustrated when things I pay for don't.

Well we will agree to disagree on this one. Take care.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more that people are just amazed by Bethesda's general technical ineptitude and are looking for some kind of explanation. The engine is a convenient focal point.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I saw Oblivion for the first time or even Skyrim for that matter. They looked great, there was something special about it.

I'd hate for TES VI to begin and my first thought being "well.... this doesn't look too great at all." the game industry isn't sitting still and every year insanely good looking games come out. But BGS isn't gonna keep up. I want to be impressed about visuals in a BGS game again.

Hopefully all these worries are for nothing and the jump will at least be like going from Fallout 3 to 4. It sure as hell should be. We're talking about a game that will release when we're like halfway into next gen, maybe even further.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I fully agree with both aspects of this (having done software development for over a decade now and seen -- and sometimes been responsible for -- excesses in either direction).
But there are some persistent classes of problems with every Bethesda game since Oblivion at least that I assume would have been fixed by now if they could be fixed by anything other than a major revision of some core components.
I guess I'm assuming that whatever license they have with Gamebryo gives them full rights to customize the thing such that if they had the will to, they could ship-of-theseus the entire thing, and keep replacing core components until it was the same engine only in some abstract philosophical sense. You may well be right though, maybe they're limited in how much of that core they can get at.

OhmygoditsJROD

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You always have to choice to not buy and support their games if you dislike them this much.

All the thing you are complaining about seem more like development decision rather than big issues.

Framerate issue? Most likely a development decision seeing as how that method is used. Maybe not the best for an online game? Sure, but it is still a dev decision.

This is not about defending them, you can criticize them all you want but you basically are saying they should be able to fix this as if it was an act of magic, a flip of a switch. Just because they have all this money their games have to be perfect, zero issues, just because they are big enough to publish their own and other AAA games then this means any single mistake made by a human being is unacceptable.

This attitude is a bit entitled and again I saw it is ignorant of what software development is like.

Because in my sincere opinion they made certain development choices that worked for them during their development cycle(s) for this game or thoughour the years that they have reused here.

Does it have issues? For sure and many have pointed them out.

Is it a glitchy mess? Not really that is an exaggeration of the issues from my point of view having played their games.

It is a choice. jus think maybe at your job you make a choices because it works for the better of all even if it is not the best. I work in the software industry and I run across it a lot. It sucks and I am 100% sure Bethesda knows and cares, but sometimes you have to just move along with the project. They seems to have done so throughout multiple interactions of their franchise.

I think what people really want or should ask if for Bethesda to blow over and have a lot of turnover so a new group can make the game and maybe change the way they do things. As long as Todd and the same guys are working there they will keep doing things their way because it works for them. How hard is that to comprehend. It works, their games are successful so why should they spend more of their budget fixing these things? Happens every day. If there is a workaround then the issue is not that bad.

So stick with what's comfortable because it sells instead of trying to improve. Got it.

In the end it's a product which they are trying to sell. If they can still sell an amount they want with the same amount of effort whatever. Just means I sadly will not buy any more of their games.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A post that seemingly needs to be quoted in every thread like this:

When people complain about Bethesda's "engine" this is the shit they are talking about. Stuff that has been broken in the same way since before Oblivion.
Do you have a source for this, because I really think this list gets at the heart of the "engine" issue here.