• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The only question I have is, why is this not in the Gaming Forum?

Of course it can work. There's been plenty well received 3D Sonic games.

The problem is that every time they have something that works, they find a way to fuck it up.
Sega really should try building upon what is known to work instead of trying to build the wheel over and over. Things within the Sonic series WORK. Those things shouldn't be scrapped just to "try something new". What works, works (leave it in or fine tune it to work better), what doesn't, scrap it, and add some new ideas on the side.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say it again: No weird ass fanart allowed.

1f914.png

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay/movement looks like shit
I'm not sure how Sonic Utopia's low traction moon physics looks less shit than this. When people criticize the idea of these mechanics enabling empty levels with no way to funnel obstacles, Sonic Utopia's lack of any intimate momentum is exactly why. Project Hero, at the very least, solves most of the issue Sonic has when it comes to precision thanks to snappier controls, a more modest initial top speed, and the graceful presence of the bounce attack.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how Sonic Utopia's low traction moon physics looks less shit than this. When people criticize the idea of these mechanics enabling empty levels with no way to funnel obstacles, Sonic Utopia's lack of any intimate momentum is exactly why. Project Hero, at the very least, solves most of the issue Sonic has when it comes to precision thanks to snappier controls, a more modest initial top speed, and the graceful presence of the bounce attack.
Sonic is about speed and that Project Hero looks slow and boring

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is about speed and that Project Hero looks slow and boring
Sonic is more about using snappy and intricate mechanics to overcome gimmicks facilitated by speed, but then I guess Sega marketing and an era of lame boost games did a number on some people's perception of the series (which Utopia also rails against).

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Utopia is Tony Hawk. This is Sonic.

Utopia is also made by an alt-right dude.
Yup, can confirm. He's mostly kept his bullshit within Discords and such rather than more public-facing places like Twitter, but from everything I've seen and heard he's a bigoted garbage person. There actually is plenty of cool stuff the Sonic fandom's made (see other stuff people posted in this thread) but Lange isn't someone to hold up. At this point there are better looking 3D Sonic fan projects anyway (see Project Hero).

b00

Oct 28, 2017
This is great even if it's poking fun you can tell they know the source material. Their other animations are also pretty amazing.

This has the original sound track and dub subtitled. I still have fond memories of watching the original 2 vhs I imported and looking up a rough translation online. I even tried drawing the ova as a comic and pausing the vhs at what I thought was the perfect frames to put to paper lol. It sucks it was butchered when it was brought to the west but this is possibly the best way to watch for free

He has defended gamergate, constantly bashes feminism, loves posting pepe and has bullied some people in the community from what I've seen of him.

Well fuck

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Welp, after consulting with the Time Stones I can clearly see the direction where this thread's heading, and it's a baaaaaad future, boys.

Might as well post this gem while I can...

MOD EDIT: Inflammatory image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's just impossible to have a normal fuckin Sonic thread I guess. haha feet

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
great thread, the music of sonic is absolutely one of the coolest things of the franchise.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same tired-ass six pictures and videos over and over, people thinking they're comedy geniuses for dragging out Sonichu after over a decade now of the creator being harassed and tortured by every sad MF desperate to "milk a lolcow" to feel better about themselves. (And don't give me your excuses for it.)

Moving on.

Since the SRB2 Karts video was featured earlier, I figure I'd also link Logan's original SRB2 3D video. The dithering effect on the models can be divisive, but I like its use here, and the animation work is really great, particularly for a fan mod of a fan mod:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Discussing fan-originated Sonic works while ignoring all of the bizarre weirdness found therein is kinda like discussing the events of 14th century Europe without mentioning the Black Death. Once you're done talking at length about the wars and the Italian Renaissance and the various royal lineages and whatever the hell else happened in that era, it's impossible to overlook a highly contagious and incurable disease that killed millions and is still well-known centuries later to this very day.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that posting weird Sonic stuff will get you killed or (at the very least) banned on a video game forum.

And I already have one foot in the grave.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
It really, really isn't. You just highlight something cool and don't even mention the not-cool shit. This isn't hard.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Discussing fan-originated Sonic works while ignoring all of the bizarre weirdness found therein is kinda like discussing the events of 14th century Europe without mentioning the Black Death. Once you're done talking at length about the wars and the Italian Renaissance and the various royal lineages and whatever the hell else happened in that era, it's impossible to overlook a highly contagious and incurable disease that killed millions and is still well-known centuries later to this very day.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that posting weird Sonic stuff will get you killed or (at the very least) banned on a video game forum.

There's a difference. You know there's a difference. You're pretending you can't stop posting unpleasant things when asked, because it's "too intrinsic" to the Sonic fandom? That's a sad excuse.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Or you could just not shitpost.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling; History of Similar Behavior
Sense-of-humor-GIF.gif

Let me put it simply without the silly analogy or jokes.

Threads like these are bound to become sidetracked due to the nature of the fandom, and with the OP specifically calling out weird fanart, guess what? Folks are gonna come in here and post weird fanart, because there aren't many opportunities to do it on the forum and there's an endless supply to choose from out there. The easy potshot humor is too irresistible, and I'm just as culpable as the other posters. I can't deny that.

Now we got a mod warning and a member got banned. The cycle's run its course, everyone's had their fun, and now hopefully the thread can continue unabated.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I dunno if it's cool, but the current run of IDW comics are honestly solid. The first four issues are a pretty rough intro, but once the series hit its stride, it got cool. I really dig it, and for a kid's comic, it certainly gets dark here and there. Robotnic has some menace to him.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
that you need this disclaimer says enough about the fandom

on topic: Sonic Utopia, a fan game that shows that a 3D sonic game does not have to be dogshit and can actually work:

3D Sonic works better without the moon physics this game has. Sega got the formula mostly right a few different ways already (Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Generations, and Lost World all get good reads on it). The problem is really just polish.

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of IDW, Diana Skelly (an illustrator on the current Sonic comics) did some insanely wild redesigns almost (?) a decade ago.

sonic_redesign__scrap_book_1_by_nerfuffle_d5fzbnu-pre.jpg

sonic_redesign__scrap_book_2_by_nerfuffle_d5fzc38-fullview.jpg

There were some more designs she did that are no longer online - I have some of her work backed up locally but it'd probably be shitty of me to repost without permission.

---

Anyone remember this?

This was a Unity fan project created in 2010 between Sonic 4 Ep 1 and Generations from the original dev behind forever-in-limbo-because-lol-Nicalis '90s Arcade Racer.
They released the original demo, a awesomely done monochrome version of that demo and a test demo of Chemical Plant - most of the links I came across for them are either dead or from suspect sites.

Hoarded all of them - once again, not sure it's ok to rehost. :X

EDIT: Another underrated fan gem is Project AXSX by Andrew75, a reimagining of the cancelled Sonic X-treme.

They've been working on this (albiet in different forms and engines) since mid-to-late 2000s IIRC back on Senntient (the site and forums of Chris Senn, a dev who worked on X-treme).

He's still making and showing off progress here:

There's a playable demo of the UE3 variant from 2011 still available here.

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Speaking of IDW, Diana Skelly (an illustrator on the current Sonic comics) did some insanely wild redesigns almost (?) a decade ago.

sonic_redesign__scrap_book_1_by_nerfuffle_d5fzbnu-pre.jpg

sonic_redesign__scrap_book_2_by_nerfuffle_d5fzc38-fullview.jpg

There were some more designs she did that are no longer online - I have some of her work backed up locally but it'd probably be shitty of me to repost without permission.

I still stand by these designs. They're less marketable, but hecka interesting!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Let me show all you edgy kids desperate to post meme-y fanart how it's done.

At some point, someone decided to to create the lowest quality drawing of Sonic they possibly could and post it online:

kj2gwUZl.jpg

Which was so funny and popular that it eventually became part of silly memes on the official Sonic social media accounts:

Which somehow, against all odds and common sense, lead to it actually becoming DLC clothing in an official Sonic game.

0hL3jcxl.jpg

It's like a bizarro Sonic Mania. Some might view it as shitty fanart but it's a perfect example of how Sega respects even the lowliest of fan creators. It's OK if you can't make a godlike comic like Tyson Hesse or a pitch-perfect recreation of the classic gameplay like Taxman, any form of love towards the series that makes people smile is appreciated.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic's fans are simply the best. The amount of dedication and effort they put in their fan games is just mind blowing. Rom hacks, mods, remakes, full blown games, engines.. it's simply fascinating.

There are too many great fan projects to highlight, so I'm going to limit this post my favorite 3D ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

A Sega fricking Saturn game, inspired by the cancelled project for the console.

This is like a DS demake of Lost World.

Sonic 3D Land.
I run Sonic The Hedgeblog and I genuinely try to find all the cool, fun stuff from the series, and not jump into meme territory. Wholesome content :P

Sonic The Hedgeblog (@Sonic_Hedgeblog) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Sonic The Hedgeblog (@Sonic_Hedgeblog). Discover the secrets, GIFs, photos & more of Sonic. https://t.co/GD5SNaHUWQ Maintained by @Rlan2. Support us on Patreon! https://t.co/31QETkyfbg. Green Hill Zone

tumblr_pr11boy0Rx1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_ps3tfksqwS1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_prbolw22Gc1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_pq8zcaXgYw1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_pmndnt2p5t1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_pk0xbmhRy91w1kerio3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_pihjw3TkLT1w1kerio1_400.gif
I love this!
Let me show all you edgy kids desperate to post meme-y fanart how it's done.

At some point, someone decided to to create the lowest quality drawing of Sonic they possibly could and post it online:

kj2gwUZl.jpg

Which was so funny and popular that it eventually became part of silly memes on the official Sonic social media accounts:

Which somehow, against all odds and common sense, lead to it actually becoming DLC clothing in an official Sonic game.

0hL3jcxl.jpg

It's like a bizarro Sonic Mania. Some might view it as shitty fanart but it's a perfect example of how Sega respects even the lowliest of fan creators. It's OK if you can't make a godlike comic like Tyson Hesse or a pitch-perfect recreation of the classic gameplay like Taxman, any form of love towards the series that makes people smile is appreciated.

Legend!

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yesterday I saw this video and really enjoyed it! The modding/fan game part of the fanbase is pretty great.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I never noticed the weird part of the fandom until like last year
I don't think the weird part of the Sonic fandom has been that big for a while now? Not that I've checked, but it's not like people have found much new material to dunk on how the Sonic fanbase is weird and gross. It's always the same bunch of drawings people found on deviantart forever ago.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sonic Mania has done a little to rehabilitate the franchise's image + proverbially slap those who claimed "Sonic was never good." Keep the cool stuff coming. I can't believe people made a Sonic game in the doom engine. Next step: Sonic in the Quake engine!

It's hilarious people caught bans in this thread, though. Speaking of catching bans - is Sonic Dreams on the weird side (cuz it's fucking weird), or the cool side (cuz the surrealness is the point)?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I dug this 4 image series that sort of takes Team Sonic Racing, with a bit of Heroes, into a Wacky Races approach. Some nice callbacks and clever groupings, as well. Silver making "ocean" for their boat to sail is great.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

I dug this 4 image series that sort of takes Team Sonic Racing, with a bit of Heroes, into a Wacky Races approach. Some nice callbacks and clever groupings, as well. Silver making "ocean" for their boat to sail is great.

I like this Roster more than the actual Team Sonic Racing. Nice deep cut on using Madonna also.