• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with this guy on all of his videos, but I really do enjoy the amount of effort that gets put into him.

His latest video, though, I think is pretty spot-on. Check it:

I'm sure that this thread will remain sensible and not devolve into hot-take after hot-take.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Was ready with my hot take, but decided to watch the whole video before commenting. :p

I think he's pretty spot on for most of it too, with the exception of his comments about Disney. LucasFilm is a pretty autonomous wing of Disney and ain't nobody telling Kathleen Kennedy what to do. She's one of the most successful and powerful movie producers in modern history. But yeah, LucasFilm did decide to play it safe. Small but important distinction.

He touched on one thing briefly that was kind of a hot take, but it's a take I agree with. Nobody hated this movie until it made a bazillion dollars.

Edit: I agree with the one critic who was saying that JJ Abrams has a very frenetic shooting style and doesn't always give each beat enough time for the audience to digest. While I really liked The Force Awakens, I think the biggest fuck up it had was when the Starkiller weapon was used to destroy the Republic planets and it's given all of about 10 seconds of screen time to be emotionally processed. That needed more weight.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I enjoyed it. But I have such a problem with people saying "They had to de facto remake A New Hope, to get the fans aboard!". Such fabricated nonsense.
Well sure they didn't have to do something that had those callbacks to A New Hope. But it's hard to call that the wrong move in hindsight when it was such a roaring success. It needed to be a good movie that reassured fans that the Star Wars brand was back on track and headed in the right direction. LucasFilm played it safe, but they didn't play it wrong. They have the receipts to prove it.