• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I recommend this feature first of all:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/jet-set-radio-20-year-anniversary-sega-feature-interview

But there is an interresting tidbit why the veterans of JSR did not make a new game:

"This was more than 10 years ago, but producer Kawagoe once told us, 'You guys are too old and experienced to make a new 'Jet.' If someone were to create a new 'Jet,' it's going to have to be young daredevils like you guys were back then.' And I completely agree," says Hosokawa. "I've gained enough experience that I can identify what works and how to present things... I can see the path to the end goal, whether I like it or not. If I put it negatively, because of my experience, I can only create games in 'the smart way.' This means that I wouldn't be able to convey that passion in this title that could have only been born through all the struggles I faced. That's why I'm looking forward to a new generation of creators."

Oct 27, 2017
OK?
We are still not getting a sequel anyway so...

Honestly I don't care who makes it. Just give me a port of Future and a sequel. As long as it is good I am happy.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Hmm so the original creators cannot create the same tone of game because of their further experiences? I'm skeptical but okay.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can respect the decision and reasoning even if most of us (myself included) would be happy with a minor upgrade of a sequel

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
A new one wasn't made because the games didn't sell well. Period.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skating is sort of dead so it would be old designers if anything that would have the best vision for a game like that.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is they say they want young devs on it and yet we are not getting one. I am fine with young devs if it means getting a new one. Or senior devs.

Just give me a sequel please.
Well don't ignore the 'experienced' part. The 'struggles' he talks about, whatever it means, seems to be speaking more to that than simply age.

Oct 27, 2017
Well don't ignore the 'experienced' part. The 'struggles' he talks about, whatever it means, seems to be speaking more to that than simply age.
So if I understood it right, he means the mood he was in?
In that case I am not sure how they would even recreate that.

If he means the atmosphere and vibe of Jet Set Radio then I am sure passionate developers could still make a seqel that feels like it. We already saw that with Streets of Rage 4 which was an excellent sequel that was SOR through and through.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the deep dive they did in music and fashion culture at the time, I can see that.

lmao @ people dismissing creators explaining why they didn't create something

Also, concept of love is not from the original JSR, y'all.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Came into this thread thinking it was something logical like "sales" or "money"

The explanation offered doesn't make me feel good at all, but I'd still bet it comes down to "sales" or "money".

signal

Oct 28, 2017
lmao @ people dismissing creators explaining why they didn't create something
Yeah, a 'dumb as shit' mentality to be honest. If a dev feels like their inexperience was essential in creating the end product, then maybe it was important, whether or not players can understand why (without the creator explaining further, anyway).

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017

I... think is just this. I love Dreamcast, I fucking love that era of Sega creativity so much, it was a huge deal for AAA design ideas, but sadly excluding probably Super Monkey Ball (that was originally a DC game moved to GC as far as I know) I think all that era of Sega was a huge failure commercially, including their early Xbox games. JSR is a product of it's era than can be more popular now thanks to digital distribution and more indie appeal, but at that time for me it was one of those games who sold like shit but has a passionate cult follow.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

That's the most logical conclusion but Sega liked to take risks.
I think it was a case of wrong time, wrong console.
Had Jet Set Radio Future debuted on the GameCube or PS2, I think it would have had a better chance.
Kinda like how Monkey Ball took off by being on the right platform.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue, and Jet Set are the most troubled Sega franchises while also being exclusive for the original Xbox. Which just wasn't the right market for it.

And Sega at that time was crumbling down into third part status. So obviously they were going lean into sports and sonic keep funds coming in.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a 'dumb as shit' mentality to be honest. If a dev feels like their inexperience was essential in creating the end product, then maybe it was important, whether or not players can understand why (without the creator explaining further, anyway).
Another peak example of "fuck how you feel, just give me what I want" from gamers™

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I... think is just this. I love Dreamcast, I fucking love that era of Sega creativity so much, it was a huge deal for AAA design ideas, but sadly excluding probably Super Monkey Ball (that was originally a DC game moved to GC as far as I know) I think all that era of Sega was a huge failure commercially, including their early Xbox games. JSR is a product of it's era than can be more popular now thanks to digital distribution and more indie appeal, but at that time for me it was one of those games who sold like shit but has a passionate cult follow.

SMB was a Naomi arcade game, ported with extras (Monkey Target!) to GC.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Another peak example of "fuck how you feel, just give me what I want" from gamers™
I can understand wanting a new one (who doesn't) but dismissing the creator's reasoning is 🤷‍♂️. I'm sure lots of factors go into how a game turns out, I don't see why inexperience would be exempt.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Literally read this while i had the credits of dark souls 3 playing. The music in the background made reading this sad

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry the double post, but excluding that JSR wasn't exactly a best seller I kinda understand and accept these reasons, because I think this is not about "be too old" as a game developer, but because JSR is this super hip, urban, rebellious, youth-inspired product.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
2020 What a year...

In what galaxy does this make sense "Hey guys you have too much experience lets wrap it up. This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that this was the last game in that Jet Set Radio style. Should have had a Wii Balance Board port

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the creators of the Splatoon IP are definitely not all "young rebels", I find this silly, lolol.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i-can-tell-its-bullsht1jro.gif

Last edited:

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Hmm so the original creators cannot create the same tone of game because of their further experiences? I'm skeptical but okay.

I TOTALLY get it. I used to love photography. It was, basically magic when I took a good shot, etc.

Then I went to school for it. And did it professionally for a while. The magic is gone. My ability to experiment in wrong ways went away with intimate, technical knowledge. I lost the love of photography because I know how to take the best shot, not just get it by mistake or experiment.

I can see that in game creation, or any creative endeavor.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes don't relate to some of these ethereal explanations developers give. That reason sounds dumb and arbitrary. If you can make a good game you can make a good game no matter how old you are, hence Sakurai, Miyamoto, Aonuma, Miyazaki, etc. Surely Sega has younger dev teams that could do this, otherwise the company would be aging away.