• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
CLOSED AND OPEN BETAS HAVE ENDED!

Gold Edition which gives 3 days early access and includes the season pass releases 26 June. Standard edition on 29 June.

Last edited:

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow, they made the whole map AND car collection available for the beta!? Can't wait to try this when I get home!

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll give it a go tonight on PS4 Pro. Will post my impressions.

Really want to hear from everyone who is playing it on PC to see how the performance is there.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will re-visit every area I did like from the previous episode, and there are so many. Hope they are still there, for example that ramp in the military base next to Seattle.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I am really loving it! I thought The Crew was great but flawed, this really seems to take that concept and polish it.

OP
OP
Certinfy

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, they made the whole map AND car collection available for the beta!? Can't wait to try this when I get home!

Jesus that's a lot of content. It's really the entire car selection??
You're limited to what you can use in events and the open world.

But you can test drive any car for a minute or so before it resets you back as many times as you want. Better than nothing. Was great to drive the Red Bull F1 car!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Salty here right now that I didn't get a code after signing up immediately last year. Damn it.

I would love to know how well a racing wheel works with this? I'm guessing it's going to rule out flying the planes, but boat and cars should be fine.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to trying it tomorrow, the first game was really enjoyable.

Happy to see some positive impressions.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
the beginning of this beta is quite nice even if it is very arcade the grip is nice .. the photo mode is available is a lot of things including changing the weather on the fly ^^ screens from pro with photomode ;)

180531124227944940.png

180531124227616046.png

180531124229124073.png

180531124229786990.png

OP
OP
Certinfy

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quick thoughts:
- Game is everything a game like this should be. I might even say it feels more like Forza Horizon and Test Drive Unlimited than the first game (which is a good thing).

- Map is amazing. Builds off the first so well but with more life, colour and detail. Honestly surprising how many vehicles and pedestrians there are on screen at times.

- Can't believe how beautiful the game is. No open world game this big should look this good. The water, sunset and stuff like that look the best I've ever seen in a game.

- Cars look and sound great, even the interiors. Meanwhile, EA couldn't even be assed to include interiors in NFS Payback.

- Planes and boats are alright, they at least offer something different when not wanting to stick to the road which is good enough.

- Photo mode is amazing as Dumbmugi pointed out, so many options even to rewind gameplay to get the exact shot you want as well as changing time of day, weather etc.

- Handling is way better than the first, not even close really.

- Assuming the game keeps the same money system it's a lot better than the first, I already have $200K and the high end Ferraris are like $500K. In the first game you could finish the story and still not even have enough to buy a decent.

- Cutscenes and dialogue are cringy but it fits the theme of gaining popularity and followers I suppose. At least they can be skipped.

- When flying the world looks a bit iffy, popin doesn't help. But it's nothing too major.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Tried the X1X version. Did not like it at all. There are hardly physics and the cities are just lanes with houses at both sides. Good to try the beta to confirm my impressions of the gameplay videos released a couple of weeks ago.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Game is pretty, handling is miles better, car selection feels solid and varied, on par with the first game after all DLCs.

Its lots of improvement so far

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The boat races are a bit dull, but aside from that, I love it. Planes are more fun than I thought they'd be, and the car physics have been improved a lot. Well, rather... the handling. It's extremely arcadey, maybe even more so than the first game (though, warning: don't forget to check your driving assistances, by defualt everything is on, and it does feel a bit railroad-y) but its more FUN. Cars simply feel better. I'm also glad it didnt go the NFS route of drifting everywhere, there's decent amount of grip.
The game still has a story, but it's a lot more light hearted and classic "be the best" type of thing. You can finally choose your own character though, and while there's a lot of dudebro voice over, at least it's fitting in terms of atmosphere.
I love the added immersion stuff like walking around the dealers or having your own house. Kudos for revamping the interior view as well and getting rid of the silly wobble animation when driving straight.

Visually the game is a huge step up as well, and not just graphically but the HUD and menus are much slicker too. They also got rid of the microstutter in the PC version, so now it feels smooth, though still capped at 60 fps unfortunately.

Negatives? Well, I'm saddened by the fact that there's LESS snowy areas instead of more, which I hoped for :(. The coop connectivity also remains mixed. There's a nasty bug affected quite a lot of people in the first game that got carried over, which means that certain people will simply unable to see/invite eachother, regardless of their NAT status. This affects me and one of my friends in our group which unfortunately does kind of ruin the whole coop aspect.

Finally, I have managed to buy quite a lot of cars in the few horus I played the beta, so I'd say they also rebalanced the economy. The first game was pretty bad in this regard, felt like you were aggressively pushed towards mtx.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played for a couple of hours on PS4 Pro and think I saw everything the beta has to offer, there is not a lot of content in there. Despite the endless cutscenes etc at the start there is little explanation on how the menus etc work which can be a bit confusing, but you do get a fair idea of what the world is like in the game. Based on the taster given in the beta I think I want to play the full game, here's a video of my stream if you're interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/267676344

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn it looks good, they way the first one looked, considering the diversity and the size of the map, was good, but this is a fair bit better.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
ah, here is the OT, nice, then i will write down my impressions here again:

played for 2 hours on PS4Pro: i like the motorboats the most, they handle well and it looks just great on the water. Cars are okayish, handling is very arcadey as expected but the physics could be better. then, i drove from L.A. to Las Vegas and there was much pop in on trees, that didn´t look so great unfortunately. the cities seem very lifeless, same problem that Forza 3 had, it is so sterile and devoid of life, you see a pedestrian here and there but that´s it.

Least favourite of mine are the planes, they handle too easy, there is no feeling of weight, it is more like an RC plane. but as something to transform to for flying around a little bit it´s okay i guess...all in all, it gives me what i want: cruising around, doing an event here and there and variety through the different vehicles.

It is a shame that the beta is locked to the first rank, would have loved to try motorcross or hovercraft.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Love reading the impressions, keep it coming.

How is the soundtrack? Does The Crew do it's own original soundtrack, licensed music, or no music at all?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is honestly amazing, might beat out Forza Horizon 3 for my favourite racing game this gen.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

by the "freestyle" HQ there is an hovercraft illustrated, but the discipline is called Jetsprint, so i don´t really know what´s up with that .-)
you can´t test it in the Beta because it is locked to the next ranks which are unobtainable in the Beta...it seems like the Hovercraft is an so called "Ultimate Vehicle" that you can earn for beating the "champion".

edit: there are also Monster Trucks .-) Variety is nice, many different vehicles obtainable

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
is the first person mode bit where you're walking around selecting a vehicle still feeling really weird?

i mean i know you won't spend long in this mode, but still it was odd a while back and had lean functions (think R6S)

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nope, I keep getting kicked from the game (server error) when I supposed to use the plane in the first race... this is freaking annoying, since you have to repeat the car and boat (wich is boring AF to use) part all over again... 3 times in a row, I give up for now -____-"

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It's a very meaty beta! Just played an hour and a half. Took time to wrap my head around things, but got it now : changing vehicles on the spot, replays etc.

My impressions : driving is indeed very arcadey, but satisfying too at the same time. Maybe tone down the rubberbanding slightly, it's a bit annoying when you complete almost 2 flawless laps with +13 seconds, and then towards the end just happen to brake a bit too hard :/

Planes and boats are fun (water is gorgeous, as is the game). Probably not the main attraction, but a fun diversion.

Pop in here and there. Noticeable but nothing bad.

My biggest concern however is:
the world is very sterile.

Also got 2 questions :
1)are there going to be any street races with regular traffic?. .. So far it's just races with no traffic.

2) off-road races, are they all just time trials/ ghost?

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Nope, I keep getting kicked from the game (server error) when I supposed to use the plane in the first race... this is freaking annoying, since you have to repeat the car and boat (wich is boring AF to use) part all over again... 3 times in a row, I give up for now -____-"
Are you on PC?
If you are:
For players on PC being kicked 1 minute into the first event, please disable Rivatuner and restart the game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
is the first person mode bit where you're walking around selecting a vehicle still feeling really weird?

i mean i know you won't spend long in this mode, but still it was odd a while back and had lean functions (think R6S)

yeah it is like a free floating cam with lean function

My biggest concern however is:
the world is very sterile.

also my main gripe with the game, very sterile, i mean in the middle of nowhere it is okay when you are flying through canyons but the cities are really lifeless...

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
also my main gripe with the game, very sterile, i mean in the middle of nowhere it is okay when you are flying through canyons but the cities are really lifeless...

I'm not sure, but this might be due to the complaints of AI traffic getting in the way of the races in the first game, lots of people really didn't like it.

willbsn

Oct 25, 2017
After playing a couple hours of this, I'm really impressed with it.

So much better than The Crew 1. It looks amazing on the One X. No more annoying Single Player story.

Handles much better, still work to be done here but it's much improved.

Honestly Forza Horizon has a big competitor here in The Crew 2.

Depending on how FH4 turns out, TC2 will outclass in many areas IMO.

Still need to see some proper off-road races versus AI and some PVP before pulling the trigger and pre-ordering this game tho.

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play this when I get home tonight. I really miss TDU this generation and The Crew 1 didn't fill that gap, The Crew 2 most likely won't fill it as well* but it looks to be a lot better than The Crew 1.

Hope that The Crew 2 will not feature rubber banding AI, or at least less aggressive rubber banding.

*Even if it's only because the map isn't 1:1 based on a real world location again. That was amazing in TDU1 and 2, driving around a real world location, more dense and complex roads than you'd normally would get in games.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i think the main draw is that there is something for everybody in the game: don´t like the boats? drive around. don´t like the cars? well there are planes too! don´t like street racing? go offroad! and it is a game where time flies by, it has this "just one more event!" thing going, there is always something to do. and yes, i think it will be or is the main competitor to the next Forza Horizon game. Forza has the better handling, this has the vaster world and more variety in the different vehicles