• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Our Top 10 Top Cross Play Implementations
GRGNt21.png

Cross-Play Games
  • #IDARB: Xbox One, PC
  • Ark: Survival Evolved: Xbox One, PC
  • Astroneer: Xbox One, PC
  • Brawlhalla: PS4, PC, Mac
  • Crackdown 3: Xbox One, PC
  • Chess Ultra: Xbox One, Switch, PC / PC, PS4
  • Dauntless: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
  • Deep Rock Galactic: Xbox One, PC
  • DC Universe Online: PS4, PC
  • Disc Jam: Switch, PC / PC, PS4
  • Eve: Valkyrie: PS4, PC
  • Fable Fortune: Xbox One, PC
  • Fortnite: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac, Mobile
  • Forza Horizon 3: Xbox One, PC
  • Forza Horizon 4: Xbox One, PC
  • Forza Motorsport 7: Xbox One, PC
  • Full Metal Furies: Xbox One, PC
  • Final Fantasy XIV: PS4, PC, Mac
  • Full Metal Furies: Xbox One, PC
  • Games of Glory: PS4, PC
  • Gears of War 4: Xbox One, PC
  • Guns of Icarus Online: PS4, PC, Mac
  • Gwent: The Witcher Card Game: Xbox One, PC
  • Halo Wars 2: Xbox One, PC
  • Happy Wars: Xbox One, PC
  • Hearthstone: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
  • Hero Siege: PC, Mac, Mobile, Switch / PC, Mac, Mobile, PS4
  • Hex: PS4, PC
  • Hover: Xbox One, Switch, PC / PC, PS4
  • Kabounce: PS4, PC
  • Killer Instinct: Xbox One, PC
  • Mantis Burn Racing: PS4, PC / Switch, Xbox One, PC
  • Mushroom Wars 2: Switch, PC, Mac, Mobile
  • Minecraft: Xbox One, Switch, PC, mobile
  • Next Up Hero: Xbox One, Switch, Mac, PC
  • Overload: Xbox One, PC / PS4, PC
  • Paladins: Switch, Xbox One, Pc, Mac
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: PS4, PC
  • Pinball FX 3: PS4, PC / Switch, Xbox One, PC
  • Pox Nora: PS4, PC, Mac
  • Pure Chess: PC, 3DS
  • Rec Room: PS4, PC
  • Realm Royale: Xbox One, PC
  • Riptide GP Renegade: Switch, PC / Xbox One, PC
  • Roblox: Xbox One, PC, Mac, Mobile
  • Rocket League: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac, PS4
  • Sea of Thieves: Xbox One, PC
  • Siegecraft Commander: PS4, PC / Switch, Xbox One, PC
  • Smite: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
  • Spacelords: PS4, PC / Xbox One, PC
  • Sports Bar VR: PS4, PC
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew: PS4, PC
  • Street Fighter V: PS4, PC
  • Square Heroes: PS4, PC
  • Super Dungeon Bros: PS4, PC, Mac / Xbox One, PC
  • Super Mega Baseball 2: PS4, PC / Xbox One, PC
  • Trailblazers: PS4, PC, Mac / Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • Treasure Stack: Xbox One, Switch, PC
  • Tooth and Tail: PS4, PC, Mac
  • Ultimate Chicken Horse: PS4, PC, Mac / Switch, PC, Mac
  • War Thunder: PS4, PC, Mac / Xbox One, PC, Mac
  • Wargroove: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
  • Weapons of Mythology: New Age: PS4, PC
  • Werewolves Within: PS4, PC
Cross-Progression / Purchasing
  • Hearthstone: PC, Mac, iOS, Android
  • Paladins: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
Cross-Parties
  • Minecraft: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mobile
  • Paladins: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac
  • Rocket League: Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac, PS4

Cross Activity Coming / In Development
  • Apex Legends: PS4, Xbox One, PC

Cross Play Discord

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
As Cross-Play is gathering steam and there has been so much news this week, along with the other threads I thought it would be great to make one for those of use who are into and are following this movement.

I'll try to keep the op up to date and make changes as they happen.
Already need to update the table for Rocket Leagues News.

News this week

Last edited:

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I really wish cross-buy was more of thing. It'd be nice to be able to take Wargroove on the go with my Switch.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
As this is taking off it's interesting to see the approach devs are taking.

Merging the matchmaking pools seems like the simplest option to connect their communities but now with cross-parties it's leading to friends lists for those games to manage.
Rocket League will have it's own, I'm sure HiRez will use it's account for Smite, Paladins and Realm Royal, Epic has it's friends list for Fortnite which I'm sure will work in Dauntless and then you have Xbox Live for Minecraft.

Kinda makes you see where Xbox and looking in wanting to use live to bring everyones accounts together on Xbox, PC, Switch & iOS/Android.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
there is also the mess of cross network play on the same platform. Steam and Xbox Live games on PC for instance. Call of Duty ran into that issue when it launched with Xbox Live play on the Microsoft Store and couldn't cross play with battle.net, or maybe it was on Steam at the time.

The only two games I think that have done something to resolve this has been Killer Instinct and Rise of Nations on Steam / Microsoft Store. Each uses their respective store's online id for authentication but still play together on the same network. So thats nice. I hope that kind of stuff continues.

I guess usually games just make you log into a certain network with that network's ID, uplay etc... no matter the store. Microsoft decided to cut that part out and just have people's existing login work as authentication. Odd but, people don't like Xbox on PC so best to hide it I guess lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the thread, nice work. In an era where mobiles have the power to run proper games, when a portable console like the Switch can run experiences close enough to the home console counterparts, and in which high speed connections are available in more and more places, both wired and wireless... cross-play and cross-progression are the inevitable target every developer should aim for when releasing on multiple platforms. Gaming is no longer an isolated offline activity, and games are no longer a "beat 'em and drop 'em" experience: longevity and versatility matter. As cloud gaming is also becoming more and more feasible and comfortable, the artificial barrier between platforms needs to go down, as there is no logical reason why an xCloud game I am playing on my phone should not comunicate with the same game being played on the Switch by someone next to me.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ
Vainglory launched today on Steam:

It has cross-platform multiplayer with Windows, OSX, iOS, and Android. It looks like it also has cross-progression, since you can use the same account for all versions.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I think this should specify storefront connectivity on PC as that also makes a difference. Win10, EGS, Steam, can make a difference.

Edit: Great job on putting it together.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think Realm has cross-progression, does it? I was never asked to log in to my Hi-Rez account in it and there are no options to link an account. With Smite and Paladins adding it recently I assume it WILL, but, my progression on the PC version is nowhere to be found on Xbox One.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I don't think Realm has cross-progression, does it? I was never asked to log in to my Hi-Rez account in it and there are no options to link an account. With Smite and Paladins adding it recently I assume it WILL, but, my progression on the PC version is nowhere to be found on Xbox One.
https://www.hirezstudios.com/crossplay/

Realm Royale will support cross-play from day 1 of release. Cross-progression will be added to Realm Royale at a later dat

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Popped in and checked out HiRez's games today.

Realm Royale has cross play on by default, it's on or off.

Paladins is also on by default but can be changed to console only or off.

The UI designer hadn't made it to smite yet.
It was off by default but can be set to on, console only or off.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
There are some small errors regarding Minecraft on the image.

Minecraft has two main versions. Java Edition is on and has crossplay with Windows, macOS, and Linux. Bedrock Edition (not official name but people call it that even devs sometimes) is on and has crossplay with Windows 10, mobile, Xbox One, Switch, Gear VR, and Fire TV.

Also, the game doesn't have voice chat so it can't have cross platform voice chat lol. It does have cross platform text chat.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Here might be a good place to ask.

Is pinball fx3 the only asynchronous crossplay multiplayer game?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Apex Legends is supposed to be getting cross play of a minimal sort, based on this interview with Respawn: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans

Although cross-play is unavailable at launch, Respawn told Eurogamer it "plans to allow players to play with their friends on other platforms". Cross-progress and cross-purchases, however, will never be possible in Apex Legends, "due to the way systems were set up early on" which "can't [be] reconciled after the fact". In other words, as cross-play only recently became a possibility, it will never be fully integrated into Apex Legends.

--

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition is Cross-Buy between Xbox One and PC, but does not have cross-play.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Apex Legends is supposed to be getting cross play of a minimal sort, based on this interview with Respawn: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans
Despite the very definite language used to say cross-progression will never happen for Apex Legends, I hope EA gives Respawn all the resources to try to rework that dead end. Of course, expectations in check. I'm at least very excited for the planned cross-play.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Despite the very definite language used to say cross-progression will never happen for Apex Legends, I hope EA gives Respawn all the resources to try to rework that dead end. Of course, expectations in check. I'm at least very excited for the planned cross-play.
Yeah it's 100% the wrong move, they need cross progression via EA accounts.

It wont play it on any other platforms even tho I have the opportunity as I don't want to split my progress.

Nov 1, 2017

I don't buy that excuse from Respawn. Any game can be changed enough to include things like cross-progression, they just have to want to do it. Smite was released back in 2014 for gods sake before any of this cross-whatever stuff took off in a major way, if they can retool their entire game to include all 3 benefits then Respawn can.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I don't buy that excuse from Respawn. Any game can be changed enough to include things like cross-progression, they just have to want to do it. Smite was released back in 2014 for gods sake before any of this cross-whatever stuff took off in a major way, if they can retool their entire game to include all 3 benefits then Respawn can.
I feel like Respawn saying never to cross-progression just prior to launch can be interpreted between the lines as a political issue (rather than a technical one) with something like their premium currency system (the scenario of outside purchases and currency transferring over to PS4). I feel like scenario is possible when they explicitly state that cross-play is a planned feature (presumably the aspect of the cross-platform handshake that involves MTX in the least awkward way for the competing platform holders). My speculation could very well be off, but I can see the way the premium currency was designed prior to/at launch being the dead end hinted at in this launch interview when Respawn especially didn't have the influence that a company like Epic Games' has.

While casually enjoying their games, I'm not too familiar with how Hi-Rez Studios had to retrofit their games, but I think their cross-progression efforts - that Sony doesn't currently participate in - are maybe more worthwhile since Switch is also included in the pool. Apex Legends doesn't have a Switch (or mobile) version in their potential pool, just PC, PS4 and Xbox (where just a split PS4/PC and Xbox/PC cross-progression might not be a deemed worthwhile resources spent when their Fortnite peers have had a pass for the ideal implementation since September).

I'm just a layman though. I hope Respawn loops back around to answering this question again post-launch since this game has blown up, which must be opening up new doors for them within EA and with the platform holders; at the very least a more detailed answer explaining why it's definitively never happening rather than the quick answer (what systems?) we got before so us cross-progression fans can move on.

Nov 1, 2017
While casually enjoying their games, I'm not too familiar with how Hi-Rez Studios had to retrofit their games, but I think their cross-progression efforts - that Sony doesn't currently participate in - are maybe more worthwhile since Switch is also included in the pool. Apex Legends doesn't have a Switch (or mobile) version in their potential pool, just PC, PS4 and Xbox (where just a split PS4/PC and Xbox/PC cross-progression might not be a deemed worthwhile resources spent when their Fortnite peers have had a pass for the ideal implementation since September).

I'm just a layman though. I hope Respawn loops back around to answering this question again post-launch since this game has blown up, which must be opening up new doors for them within EA and with the platform holders; at the very least a more detailed answer explaining why it's definitively never happening rather than the quick answer (what systems?) we got before so us cross-progression fans can move on.

Well apparently it did take Hi-rez about a year of work to get cross-everything working, gotta give them props for going above and beyond what could be expected from an old FTP game. I suspect the thorny issue of who gets what cut of micro-transaction sales is the culprit when it comes to AL because it always comes down to money i guess. Having said that i think there are some weird caveats on Smite when it comes to micro-transactions. From what i understand currency purchased on Xbox can be used anywhere, Switch can only be used on switch and possibly the same scenario for PC. I do think that companies going forward really should have cross-everything firmly in the sights and build their games accordingly. Even if there is the usual one company who wont play ball the rest of us can at least enjoy the benefits.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Cross Saves coming to Dungeon Defenders Awakened

We are currently working with and developing tech to ensure that CROSS SAVE is going to be available for Dungeon Defenders: Awakened!! Our end goal is to make it so that say you play on your PC, but you want to go chill on the couch and play on another platform with the same save, YOU CAN! This is a VERY important feature for us. There's much more alongside Cross Save that we want to do, but we're entirely dedicated to getting this working before we expand into additional awesomeness. This is only possible because of the support that we've received, so keep it coming — the more we get THE MORE WE DO! So tell your friends, family, neighbors, neighbor's dog, imaginary friend(s), and ANYONE who would want to help defend Etheria! It really helps us make the Dungeon Defenders franchise live up to it's maximum potential.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chromaticgames/dungeon-defenders-awakened/posts/2448183

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So the EGS/X1/PS4 version of Dauntless are coming Summer 2019, while the Switch comes later and the Mobile version coming even further after the Switch. There doesn't seem to be any change in the plan that they have which is cross-play and cross progression throughout every single platform INCLUDING PS4.

Guess we'll see come Summer if they pull it off!

https://playdauntless.com/roadmap/expanding-universe/

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Overwatch needs to do it with ps4 and xbox.
Overwatch would be the big one for me. Save for some sudden shadow drop of the feature (which I've been foolishly hoping for with every update lately, along with native Dolby Atmos support for Xbox...), I've been frustrated that we haven't had more updates on where they're at with that after Jeff Kaplan shared his new optimism for the feature in relation to OW in a post-Fortnite-crossplay industry.

In reference to Borderlands 3, interesting to see the possible beginning of third party AAA games launching with some form of cross-play on Xbox, even if it's just with PC as PlayStation has historically had that on lock. If there's cross-play between PlayStation and Xbox at launch, that'll be an event.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Appreciate how seamless the cross-play/progression worked with Dauntless on PlayStation and Xbox since I already had all my linking done with my Epic Account from Fortnite. Epic has made this feature relatively headache-free; I'm interested to see if/how they influence Psyonix in that facet.

I hope it's a productive E3 for advocates of cross-play/progression.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Need more cross progression games. I don't understand why Warframe doesn't do it. I'd love to jump back and forth with the Switch and PC.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
My dauntless squad is two PC guys a PS4 and an Xbox user. Everything works perfectly voice chat, invites etc. The only thing is we can't just join on each other like fortnite. It has to be an invite unless I'm mistaken. But I'm looking forward to more like this.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Its great to see, I wish bigger devs would start to step up and do more on cross play and progression.

Man I need to update that op!