• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
crpgbookj0kwr.png

Pre-Order (US site)
Pre-Order (UK site)

Last year felipepepe completed and released The CRPG Book for us all to enjoy, and now it's finally available in physical form. I've spent the past year reading through it, and it's a remarkable work on the genre and its history. I can't state enough how refreshing it is to see such care being placed on this medium's history, and this book is an excellent example of it.

Thank you again Felipe Pepe for all your hard work.

About the book

Spread over more than 500 pages, CRPG Book: A Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games reviews over 400 seminal games from 1975 to 2015, covering the role-playing classics we all know and love such as Ultima, Wizardry, Fallout and Mass Effect – all brought to life with vibrant and engaging in-game images. Each entry also shares articles on the genre, mod suggestions and hints on how to run the games on modern hardware. The book is completely by written by fans, AAA developers, indies, journalists, modders and industry personalities such as Chris Avellone, Ian Frazier, Scorpia, Ferhegón, Richard Cobbett, Brian 'Psychochild' Green, Durante, George Weidman and Tim Cain, to name but a few.

CRPG Book: A Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games comes as a hardback as standard and uses thread sewn binding for extra durability. Each copy is then shrink wrapped. The cover features a specially created artwork by fantasy artist Jan Pospíšil.

In line with the project's non-profit nature, all of the author's profit will be donated to the Vocação charity in Brazil, where the books author, Felipe Pepe comes from. Vocação helps kids and teenagers from poor areas to get education and employment, who then go on to help others around them to do the same, changing the community for the better.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered instantly. Bitmap puts out good shit and the author's profits go to a good cause. No brainer

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I had a reminder on my calendar to order it today. It's a very cool project and I'll be happy to have a physical version.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Much as I'd like it, I can't really justify the cost for the CE as it's only really the slipcase that I'd particularly want over the standard - but I've put in an order for the standard edition.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought The Art of P&C Adventure from them, so no budget for preorder. Will probably buy this when it's released on March.

ctz_mikey

Sep 24, 2018
Immediately pre-ordered. I got the CC-licensed PDF book before the author took it down due this book project. The 1.0 version already 10/10 for me and I'm happy this got updated & touched-up for the official HC book.

I was already discussing with few friends about printing the book with custom HC cover ourselves but the price seemed to be a bit too much at the time. Then the book project announcement happened! The author has promised to to bring back the free PDF version after the book deal is done and donates his share of the sales to charity. Prime example of quality "open source" project.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was about to preorder it but can't ship to Canada *sigh*

felipepepe

Oct 28, 2017
東京
Thanks Arulan for posting this!

And just to clarify, both versions are limited, I'll be able to distribute an updated version of the free PDF once they are all sold out or a certain amount of time has passed. ;)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Lovely book, instantly put down a pre-order. Bitmap Books really are more than worth it.

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really justify paying the price for a physical copy, but I ended up donating some money to Vocação instead.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to get the Collector's Edition, but settled for Standard (thank goodness the UK shop ships overseas). Really happy to see this materialize, and it looks fantastic.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the collector's edition, it looks glorious. I hope the 1000 units are not sold out yet because I need this.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered instantly. So glad Bitmap now has a US site/shipping location since the shipping cost was the only bad thing about ordering from them before.

felipepepe

Oct 28, 2017
東京
Does anybody know if they added or changed anything from last years PDF-version?
We added reviews for the Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates series, Academagia: The Making of Mages and Gates of Skeldal / Brány Skeldalu, updated some reviews (for example, mentioning the Bard's Tale remake) and changed some screenshots.

But I think the biggest difference is that the entire book was proofread by a professional.

Print Error and Delay

xDaex

Designer at Prior Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
Hello guys!

Have you heard the bad news?

"Hi everyone
Sam here from Bitmap Books. I'm afraid I have some not-so positive news about The CRPG Book. As mentioned in the last update, the books arrived to my UK warehouse this week. Shortly after it was noticed that the standard editions had not been shrink wrapped. This in itself isn't a disaster but it's disappointing as the books can pick up scuffs on the laminate during transit. This is why I always specify our books have shrink wrapping. I then discovered from my fulfilment house that some of the standard and collector's editions had a kind of 'scratch' on the gold lettering on the front of the book (example photos here). The rest of the book is fine, it's just this scratch issue and a few very light scuffs on the laminate due to the non shrink wrap. Some people may not care, or not think it's a huge deal, but personally, I don't think it's up to our usual high standards.
So, that's the situation and it's my job to put this right so I've come up with a couple of options. I appreciate that none of them are ideal but I hope you'll see that what has happened is totally out of my hands and just a dose of bad luck. I've used the same printer for years and never had an issue and it seems like something wrong has happened 'on press' and somehow slipped through their quality control.
Here are the options I propose. Please read each one carefully and decide what you'd like to do.
Option 1

Wait until a reprint arrives and you'll be sent a perfect copy. If you choose this option, you don't need to do anything. We'll be looking at July for delivery.

Option 2
Have your copy sent now, receive a £5 refund and accept that there will be some marks on the gold on the cover. The standard edition will also not be shrink-wrapped. If you'd like this option, you should email[email protected] and state your order number. Please be aware that if you select this option, we cannot accept any returns and you would be accepting the defect. If your order contains x2 CRPG books, the refund would be £10 etc...

If you'd like option 2, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks, Sam"

This is the second time when they postpone dispatching the book as originally it was supposed to be dispatched in March. It really gets annoying... =o( I look forward to getting this fantastic book but July seems soo far away. =o( So do you think that its worth to get it even with the scratches or do I need to wait?

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hello guys!

Have you heard the bad news?

"Hi everyone
Sam here from Bitmap Books. I'm afraid I have some not-so positive news about The CRPG Book. As mentioned in the last update, the books arrived to my UK warehouse this week. Shortly after it was noticed that the standard editions had not been shrink wrapped. This in itself isn't a disaster but it's disappointing as the books can pick up scuffs on the laminate during transit. This is why I always specify our books have shrink wrapping. I then discovered from my fulfilment house that some of the standard and collector's editions had a kind of 'scratch' on the gold lettering on the front of the book (example photos here). The rest of the book is fine, it's just this scratch issue and a few very light scuffs on the laminate due to the non shrink wrap. Some people may not care, or not think it's a huge deal, but personally, I don't think it's up to our usual high standards.
So, that's the situation and it's my job to put this right so I've come up with a couple of options. I appreciate that none of them are ideal but I hope you'll see that what has happened is totally out of my hands and just a dose of bad luck. I've used the same printer for years and never had an issue and it seems like something wrong has happened 'on press' and somehow slipped through their quality control.
Here are the options I propose. Please read each one carefully and decide what you'd like to do.
Option 1

Wait until a reprint arrives and you'll be sent a perfect copy. If you choose this option, you don't need to do anything. We'll be looking at July for delivery.

Option 2
Have your copy sent now, receive a £5 refund and accept that there will be some marks on the gold on the cover. The standard edition will also not be shrink-wrapped. If you'd like this option, you should email[email protected] and state your order number. Please be aware that if you select this option, we cannot accept any returns and you would be accepting the defect. If your order contains x2 CRPG books, the refund would be £10 etc...

If you'd like option 2, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thanks, Sam"

This is the second time when they postpone dispatching the book as originally it was supposed to be dispatched in March. It really gets annoying... =o( I look forward to getting this fantastic book but July seems soo far away. =o( So do you think that its worth to get it even with the scratches or do I need to wait?
Quality is very highly prioritised by Bitmap Books, who have very exactly standards. I trust Sam to be making the right decisions and I'm happy to wait for my copy, but take a look at the photos and use those to decide which route you'd like to take.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I like it. Id jump right on it but ive been bleeding money for like two months ha. I hope its available when i get to it. What a cool book to have.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I like it. Id jump right on it but ive been bleeding money for like two months ha. I hope its available when i get to it. What a cool book to have.
As of 26 March:

Currently, we have around 100 Collector's Editions left across our UK and USA sites. The standard edition is out of stock. We will be closing pre-orders on the 31st March so if you're after the Collector's Edition, this is the LAST chance to bag one. The Collector's Edition will never be reprinted so this presents an opportunity to own a real collector's item.

We will, however, be looking into a small reprint of the standard edition but this wouldn't be available until the summer.

xDaex

Designer at Prior Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
Quality is very highly prioritised by Bitmap Books, who have very exactly standards. I trust Sam to be making the right decisions and I'm happy to wait for my copy, but take a look at the photos and use those to decide which route you'd like to take.

It is really an unfortunate turn of events as this is my first order from BB. I still trust them and hope that there will not be any more delay. =o)

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
It is really an unfortunate turn of events as this is my first order from BB. I still trust them and hope that there will not be any more delay. =o)
Lesser publishers would just have shipped the imperfect books, in the knowledge that only a small minority would bother to complain. You've still got the option to get your copy this month if you'd be happy with it as described, of course.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Really cool of them to be upfront with the printing issues and fix it like that. Going to wait for the fixed version personally as I'm not in a rush.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I've waited for years for this book so I can wait a few months more.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still bummed I missed this, was a huge fan of the work and even contributed the Ultima VIII writeup. At least I have it as a pdf... :'(