• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

felipepepe

Oct 28, 2017
東京
BTW, now that the hardcover book is sold out the PDF will be freely distributed again. I'm adding hyperlinks to it as well, should start posting it soon. In the meanwhile, feel free to share the Bitmap Books PDF.

Also, we raised over 16,000 dollars for charity, so thank you everyone who bought the book and helped make it :)

felipepepe

Oct 28, 2017
東京
Thanks, but I got nothing planned. I want to do an updated version of the book in the future, adding the games from 2016-2019 (since the book is divided in 5-year blocks) but that will likely be 2021 or 2022. You need hindsight for this kind of thing.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Thanks, but I got nothing planned. I want to do an updated version of the book in the future, adding the games from 2016-2019 (since the book is divided in 5-year blocks) but that will likely be 2021 or 2022. You need hindsight for this kind of thing.

In the future, a more console-rpg focused book would be fantastic. Or updates with Japanese micros and their expansive rpg libraries...

felipepepe

Oct 28, 2017
東京
In the future, a more console-rpg focused book would be fantastic. Or updates with Japanese micros and their expansive rpg libraries...
Sorry, but I don't have the energy, time or interest to deal with those. Besides, there's already the wonderful OLD GAMERS HISTORY Vol. 3 & 4 here in Japan that do a wonderful job of covering them: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4896101324/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_V-dVCb8HGYTR4

A translation of those books would be way better than anything I could come up with.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I couldn't wait any longer because the book is supposed to be a present by the end of April, so I chose the option 2 and take the risk of the book not being in 100% perfect condition. I waited so long and was fine with the first delay in March because I still had time but due to the fixed date I became more and more impatient. I'm also excited and will have a read before I'll give it away.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I was impatient and chose to get a potentially imperfect copy of the book a bit early with the £5 refund. Glad I did because it just arrived and is in perfect condition. Gold lettering is pristine and it was so well packaged that the lack of shrink wrap wasn't an issue. Absolutely gorgeous book.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if im reading correctly, new print of the book will be available in july? I couldn't get into it the first time because of money but i'll be fine in july.

Like i-Lo said above, is it possible to ship in Canada or it's only US? Because otherwise I have familly there

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine today. No visible blemishes. Absolutely amazing cover, paper quality, colors, look and feel. Even my co-workers and my wife were impressed. This is one to keep for the ages, amazing work!

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
So if im reading correctly, new print of the book will be available in july? I couldn't get into it the first time because of money but i'll be fine in july.

Like i-Lo said above, is it possible to ship in Canada or it's only US? Because otherwise I have familly there
Shipping is available worldwide. For US orders, use bitmapbooks.com; for anywhere else, including Canada, you need bitmapbooks.co.uk.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These impressions are making me thirsty. July and my Collector's Edition can't come soon enough.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Mine arrived last week. Tiniest mark on the gold lettering, had to actively look for it to spot it.

Book is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously impressive piece of work. Delighted I picked it up

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
My copy arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with the quality despite it not being shrink-wrapped. It has very, very little 'damage' only if you insist on using that term. See the Google album for reference:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o94iLGHntn6ftjFS9

Only picture two and three show minor wear on the book. My brother will most definitely appreciate this as a birthday present, despite the minute flaws and I'm very happy for having this book (even if it's only for a few days, but he will love it).

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
The Art of Point and Click Adventures was the first Bitmap Books book I've bought and I'm really impressed with it - will probably pick up this, too.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
The Art of Point and Click Adventures was the first Bitmap Books book I've bought and I'm really impressed with it - will probably pick up this, too.

You won't be disappointed. To be honest, if you are in any way a CRPG fan, the Adventure book doesn't really hold a candle to this. So much more content. It really is an actual "Guide to CRPGs". It contains hundreds of chronologically ordered, deep, personal reviews of RPGS from the 80s up to the present, including recommendations for mods and patches for most of the really big games. Unless you played every CRPG on the planet, this book will certainly point you towards some gems you have missed and provide some tips on how to get started, what to expect and why it's important. I'm still floored that this even got made. Simply incredible!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So is there another pre-order window coming? I can't figure out when it's happening. I completely missed that this got a physical edition and I'm really frustrated. I need this book in physical form.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
So is there another pre-order window coming? I can't figure out when it's happening. I completely missed that this got a physical edition and I'm really frustrated. I need this book in physical form.
A single new print run is expected in July, standard edition only. You can't yet order, but I'd suggesting signing up for their newsletter as they'll probably mention there when ordering opens up.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/colle...g-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Just received my hardcover copy in the mail today! What a tome... looking forward to perusing it, if I can pull myself from actually -playing- RPGs!

67363834_10156723944523983_3641918755593781248_n.jpg

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Mine showed up today and it's just gorgeous. Plus, it was packed impeccably. Cellophane wrapped, then inserted into a foam sleeve. Then four large form corners held it almost floating-like in the box. The box was doubled sealed as well. They really went out of their way to protect it and I super appreciate it.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Mine showed up today and it's just gorgeous. Plus, it was packed impeccably. Cellophane wrapped, then inserted into a foam sleeve. Then four large form corners held it almost floating-like in the box. The box was doubled sealed as well. They really went out of their way to protect it and I super appreciate it.
Mine arrived from the UK packaged just like that. The level of care that went into packaging and shipping was obvious (and appreciated). The book is also a labor of love, and looks great. I was just going to browse a few minutes before dinner but ended up engrossed for the next hour like I was lost in a time warp.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
Mine arrived today too. I'm so glad Bitmap did another print run since I procrastinated too long and missed out on the first run.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017

^^^

Looking forward to diving in.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you played every CRPG on the planet, this book will certainly point you towards some gems you have missed and provide some tips on how to get started, what to expect and why it's important. I'm still floored that this even got made. Simply incredible!

There was already an older book very much like it, "Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games" by Matt Barton, so it's not that incredible that it got made. Some of that book was published on Gamasutra so was also available online.

The overlap seems pretty large (for obvious reasons), but if you want "even more" I recommend it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Got mine today! The packaging was excellent. Book is in perfect condition and I'm going to dive into it tonight.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Got mine as well and, as mentioned, it was packaged very well -- really appreciate that. I really need to order some of the other books from Bitmap Books (have the earlier printing of Artcade as well as the C=64 book; been eyeing the Amiga and Point and Click books).