• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Boruto should be a lock for best fight. I feel like Megalobox or maybe violet evergarden should win for best chatacter design but I feel like jojo will win. Ancient Magus wife is my favorite ongoing series and of what's listed probably Megalobox would be my anime of the year.

I feel as though the zombie idol show will steal some awards though because it already gets more acclaim than it deserves. Its not a bad show from the several episodes I watched before dropping it. It's just not very compelling to me.

Is ainz al gool even really an antagonist? Yuri is my pick either way.

Also rimuru is a slime with no man parts. He's super OP too, but he's got my vote for best boy.

AoT didn't get nominated for it's OP. And personally I think it's an excellent and moving opening/song.
The chords remind me of Radiohead, Creep.

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't really agree with a lot of the nominations personally. But while I can understand that most of those are down to personal preference, there's one category that makes absolutely zero sense to me: best movie. Maquia got absolutely robbed. I don't even know how you could justify something like Fireworks over it. I don't even think I've seen a single person that actually liked Fireworks, versus the near universal praise for Maquia.

Maquia snub is really weird but on the other hand they threw a nomination to Liz which I didn't expect so....I guess it's a wash

Nov 2, 2017
Looking at the nominations, I just find it weird they got rid of the Genre Awards like best Comedy, Slice of Lice, Drama and Action. I feel like having those in would've added lot more variety to the nominations.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really agree with a lot of the nominations personally. But while I can understand that most of those are down to personal preference, there's one category that makes absolutely zero sense to me: best movie. Maquia got absolutely robbed. I don't even know how you could justify something like Fireworks over it. I don't even think I've seen a single person that actually liked Fireworks, versus the near universal praise for Maquia.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is pretty straightforward - more of the judges, who voted for what ended up on the final ballot, had actually seen Fireworks by virtue of the fact that it's been released in the US on home video already, whereas Maquia has only had a limited theatrical run. Folks aren't going to vote for something they've not personally seen.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty solid nominations.
Gonna be kinda disappointed when My Hero wins best fight even though All might vs One for all is kinda lackluster as a fight.

My list would be:

• Best Animation: Violet Evergarden
    [*]Best Opening: Kakegurui
    [*]Best ED: Megalobox
    [*]Best Film: N/A
    [*]Best Character Design: Devilman Crybaby
    [*]Best Boy: Haida
    [*]Best Girl: Hinata
    [*]Best VA (JP): N/A
    [*]Best VA (EN): N/A
    [*]Best Director: Masaaki Yuasa
    [*]Best Protagonist: Retsuko
    [*]Best Antagonist: Ryo/Satan
    [*]Best Fight: Satan vs Devilman
    [*]Best Continuing series: The Ancient Magus' Bride
    [*]Anime of the Year: A Place Further than the Universe

Then they need to watch this video before they decide:

I binged the Series over Saturday-Tuesday and I agree with the statement.

The fights are bland, but the messages of the fights are the real driving force.

...still shouldn't win though.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
haven't heard of most of the shows nominated for each category

voted Jojo or devilman crybaby for nearly everything they were up for

why isn't narancia up for best boy

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I nearly asked "Why no Devilman OP", then I remembered the opening was "Man Human" and not "Devilman no Uta"

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
No Bakugo for JP VA?

No Zombieland for OP?

Wat.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is pretty straightforward - more of the judges, who voted for what ended up on the final ballot, had actually seen Fireworks by virtue of the fact that it's been released in the US on home video already, whereas Maquia has only had a limited theatrical run. Folks aren't going to vote for something they've not personally seen.

If that's the case, then that would be a pretty disappointing reason, given how eligibility for movies is determined exclusively based on their US theatrical run date. I personally think it's pretty reasonable to assume that critics voting on the nomination for the best theatrical anime movie would actually watch anime movies in theatres, or otherwise abstain from voting.

But it wouldn't really surprise me, given how the rest of the nominations look like. Although on the other hand there's plenty of movies with no home release that were nominated.

Fireworks just surprised me because I remember reading nothing but average to terrible impressions of it when it came out. I guess their tastes were pretty different from the tastes of Crunchyroll judges (I'd certainly think no one would vote on a movie they didn't like just because they haven't seen anything else).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
In what world does Zombie Land Saga not get a nomination for best opening, but still get a nomination for all these other things including Anime of the Year? The op is probably my favorite part of the show.

I never skipped it. It's so good. Hopefully Jojo will save us. Jojo also better win best character design and Lily best girl or I'm gonna scream.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
If that's the case, then that would be a pretty disappointing reason, given how eligibility for movies is determined exclusively based on their US theatrical run date. I personally think it's pretty reasonable to assume that critics voting on the nomination for the best theatrical anime movie would actually watch anime movies in theatres, or otherwise abstain from voting.

I mean, the judges aren't just critics per-say - it's a combination of critics, journalists, and other associated industry and influencer types. Trying to find a significant number of people who have actually seen every anime movie released theatrically in the US in a given year, whilst trying not to be too aggressively US focused (Crunchy is a global platform - some of the judges are from outside the USA as well) and ensuring that they are of the degree of either professionalism or notoriety that it seems reasonable to actually select them as a judge is not a particularly enviable task.

In addition to that, even just taking the US into account... theatrical anime distribution is kind of terrible. Given that most people working in the professional anime space in a writing capacity are doing it as a second gig to another unrelated job, most of them aren't going to go that far out of their way (when "that far" can sometimes mean a 2-3 hour roundtrip on a work night) to see a movie if they don't think it's likely to fit within their wheelhouse. It's probably why stuff like Liz and Mazinger that appeal to a very specific kind of audience would also make the cut.

(As for Fireworks, yeah... I mean, it's not actually that bad, but Average is a pretty good descriptor. I liked it more before I tracked down the original Iwai TV special, though)

Last edited:

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished Meglobox after reading this thread on friday and well... it was basically a really poor mans version of Ippo, where the main character seems to know fuck all about boxing and wins things by pure magic. World champ boxer and the most controversial move is to switch to southpaw lolsurely even with all the "gear" the people using it would know how to box in the first place!? Magic Counter saves the day.

Also for a show about "megloboxing" there is surprisingly little boxing, i swear half the fights starts 2 rounds in, the last was round 4!?

The animation was alright though ill give it that.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything about Devilman: Crybaby except the story it decided to tell. I know because it was an adaptation, there's not much that could be done, but I would have preferred it if the writers just went off and did their own thing.

Luckily, other works from the director came out this year that I actually liked (The Night is Short, Walk on Girl).

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Why is Megalo Box nominated in so many categories? It's not a very good show. Maybe I'm more critical of it because it's something that I was actually interested in, but the show overall just sucked.

Most of the animation was quite bad, it started off okay but quality degraded very quickly in future episodes. Fight choreography started off pretty decently but also went downhill fast, it was clear to me that the people behind the show didn't actually know much about boxing, and didn't do much research.

OP was ass, and the ending was awful, you can only pull off an ending like that when what preceded it was of high quality and justified such a thing. The original Ashita no Joe was so much better.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the judges aren't just critics per-say - it's a combination of critics, journalists, and other associated industry and influencer types. Trying to find a significant number of people who have actually seen every anime movie released theatrically in the US in a given year, whilst trying not to be too aggressively US focused (Crunchy is a global platform - some of the judges are from outside the USA as well) and ensuring that they are of the degree of either professionalism or notoriety that it seems reasonable to actually select them as a judge is not a particularly enviable task.

I'm not suggesting they should be expected to see every movie (that would be crazy). It's just that I thought Maquia was big enough that it would at least get enough views to get in. I guess this just shows how out of touch I am in regards to mainstream anime tastes though.

The point about most anime critics not having that as their main job is pretty good though, and not something I considered. I guess it's pretty easy to forget how small the entire field is, and that most anime professionals don't necessarily make enough money solely off that, as sad as it is. And the non-US point is also good, as that makes eligibility based exclusively on US showings even more of an odd choice.

Not that it really matters, since Maquia probably had no chance of winning the public vote anyway (as it's here that theatre exclusivity is really going to hurt shows). Thinking about it, this is where eligibility becomes actually problematic, as most of the users voting on the movies probably haven't seen more than one or two of them.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I'm sorry but Megalo Box having that many nominations (particularly the big ones like best direction and AOTY) is a joke.

That show is nothing but wasted potential. Cool concept and character design in an absolutely mediocre anime. Poor pacing, tropey/heavy handed writing, inconsistent world logic, and – worst of all – bad, boring, and static animation making for lethargic and immobile fight scenes.

If you disagree with me, that's fine, but try not to be too harsh; the anime you liked more than me has more nominations than any other show this year, it clearly doesn't need much defending.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the nominations, I just find it weird they got rid of the Genre Awards like best Comedy, Slice of Lice, Drama and Action. I feel like having those in would've added lot more variety to the nominations.

Absolutely. And 2018 was a fire year for comedy and slice of life. Hinamatsuri, Asobi Asobase, A Place Further Than The Universe, Laid-Back Camp, Aggrestuko, just to name a few. Obviously these have nominations in other categories, but if they're wasting AOTY slots on stuff like Megalobox, they should allow these shows to shine in other notable categories.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Jojo Part 5 being up for Best Character Design is straight-up unfair to everyone else. It's like going up against Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor.

AgentChris

Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_pc472uJAZs1vtm42eo3_500.gif

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Lily vote bc we need more trans rep in media and anime in general, and I wanna see conservative/altright/TERF AniTwitter meltdown.

Kakegurui OP because that OP is lit.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They actually cut off the producers of DMC5 mid sentence LMFAO!!!

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Hmmm

No. Yeah devilman crybaby is a feat of style, but little else. It seemed like an excuse for tits and gore often.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm

No. Yeah devilman crybaby is a feat of style, but little else. It seemed like an excuse for tits and gore often.
I'm not sure how people get impression of the show considering how sex negative the show is in general. It literally never shows sex in positive manner every scene there is meant to disgust you. The same is true of the gore.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I'm not sure how people get impression of the show considering how sex negative the show is in general. It literally never shows sex in positive manner every scene there is meant to disgust you. The same is true of the gore.
The show does get bleak, but I dunno there were some scenes (such as the club scene in Episode 1) that really felt like they were trying to show off how much they could get away with. The show absolutely has some power fantasy scenes.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The show does get bleak, but I dunno there were some scenes (such as the club scene in Episode 1) that really felt like they were trying to show off how much they could get away with. The show absolutely has some power fantasy scenes.
The same club scene called the Sabbath that's explicitly stated to be where humans become demons?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
The same club scene called the Sabbath that's explicitly stated to be where humans become demons?
Let's just say the reaction I saw on twitter amongst my friends to that scene were more "FUCK YEAH THIS IS SO COOL/EDGY" than "wow this is a disgusting scene highlighting the central themes of hedonism corrupting humanity"

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Let's just say the reaction I saw on twitter amongst my friends to that scene were more "FUCK YEAH THIS IS SO COOL/EDGY" than "wow this is a disgusting scene highlighting the central themes of hedonism corrupting humanity"
I mean that speaks more to the person themselves rather than what the show was trying to say because the show was very meticulous regarding this. Not a single positive relationship in the show involves sex. Everything involving hedonism is portrayed badly and ends up badly, every single time.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The one show that I didn't want to win AotY won....

Also, the MHA Movie winning best anime film....

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah Devilman and Jojo. Happy with best girl too even though I wanted Lily to win. I was hoping the Naruto fight would win best fight because that shit was insane. All Might vs. All for One was good but come on. Also, what were the nominees for best movie? I refuse to believe a MHA movie was the best movie of the year.