• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Stereogum:
Smith's choice to record a new album was mainly motivated by the artists he recruited for his annual Meltdown festival in London. This year's event boasted a lineup of 60 eclectic acts with performances spread across ten days. "Primarily because of the Meltdown thing, seeing all these new bands inspired me to do something new," Smith told hosts Mark Goodman and Alan Light. "We're going in about six weeks time to finish up what will be our first album in more than a decade. It's very exciting times for us all around." Listen to a clip from the show below.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
hey just in time for the fortieth anniversary of three imaginary boys

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome! Can't wait, get to see them again on the Glasgow date of the european tour next year also.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic news. And a message to whatever record company The Cure is with now: Let Smith do what he wants this time, ok? Especially if it's releasing a double album like last time!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Oh thank God I see this thread.

Can't wait for their new album.

Hope it's good at least... ._.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like The Cure, they're basically the prime example of a band that went shit when they got a bit old.

Actually, they weren't even that old. Pretty much anything after Friday I'm in love is bad.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I don't think they've got worse over time. They've always done what they wanted, and if you look at Trilogy you can see three albums that are spaced between 1982 to 2000, that are just superb. I would say that the last album wasn't my favourite, but nor is The Top, which is 1984.

I guess that when you've been making music for such a long time it can be hard to keep coming up with bangers. I'm looking forward to the new stuff, and hopefully seeing them live too. Last time I saw them was truely magical.

I'd also recommend, if people haven't already, listening to The Glove's Blue Sunshine. Smith and Severin collaberation from 1983 that's a decent album.

Oct 28, 2017
Their last record was surprisingly really good, and this probably means they'll tour again, which is exciting since I've always wanted to see them.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Will Pearl (formerly Porl) Thompson be on guitar?
If not I frankly don't care. Her guitar work makes The Cure for me. It's a shame she seemed so muted on her return to the band for 4:13 Dream.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I too miss Pearl. One of the best guitarists in the world imo.

Absolutely!
I love that she basically had to help Jimmy Page 're-learn' some old Zep songs when she played with Plant/Page in the mid-90s. Always made me sad when people would use the Page/Plant/Thompson version of Lullaby as a bathroom break during the live shows.