• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Some of you may recall that the interview with Fusion GPS was leaked a while back. It's a long old thing but recently people noticed something. Fusion GPS think that Britians top Brexititier and all around smarmy bag of shit, Nigel Farage was acting as a go between for wikileaks and the trump campaign. In particular between Assange and trump.
You see old naughty Nigel had been visiting Assange in the ecudorian embassy and having a good old chit chat. A chit chat that Nigel simply doesn't want to talk about, even when he was pressed about it by a german reporter. Fusion however believes there was much more to it.
Now we all know just how much wikileaks has shilled for the Trump government. However there have been long held suspicions in the UK that Farage and the UKiP party have been involved with russia. Nothing concrete but the whiff of vodka has always been around.
Here is the part of the interview relating to Farage and his "Trips"

Pages 100-101:

MR. SIMPSON: And so, you know, some of it - so there's -- it really isn't, I don't think, that Cambridge is the nucleus. I think that it's there's some Bannon connections. I know there's - and there's some other Bannon Stone associates, a guy named Theodore Roosevelt Malloch, who was — is an American who was living over there and associating with UKIP and, I believe, is a significant figure in
this. So I don't - I had had some run into Cambridge and Analytica previously, and I would - there was a lot of skepticism about whether they really were capable about doing anything or whether they were just selling snake oil, and that was certainly my view when I first heard about them years earlier. So I don't view them as nucleus. The Mercers, I think are significant.

MR. SCHIFF: And, I mean, were you able to find any factual links between the Mercers and Assange or WikiLeaks or Farage?

MR. SIMPSON: Well, I mean, the things that we heard, which, you know, I think could be sorted out by an official inquiry are that Nigel Farage made a number of trips to New York and had a number of meetings — Nigel Farage and Air Bank had a number of trips to the U.S., and that they sort of — that there's been a misrepresentation of the length of that relationship and the extent of it. There's -- I've been told and have not confirmed that Nigel Farage had additional trips to the Ecuadoran Embassy than the one that's been in the papers and that he provided data to Julian Assange. IV1R. SCHIFF: What kind of data?

Tut tut Nigel....

OP
OP

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Now there is a very important typo in the record above. It mentiones "Air bank". This is a mistake. What they actually refer too is Mr Aaron Banks. For those that don't know Aaron banks is a very rich man and aslo the head of the Leave.eu campaign which Nigel endorsed. Leave.eu/Aaron bankjs are currently being investigated for a less than spotless campaign financing issue. They were also guitly of some of the most gob smackingly bigotted and evil peices during the Brexit referendum.
Aaron banks is also a very big fan of a certain Orange man and friends with Nigel Farage. Indeed here is a lovely picture of them all together meeting after the american election.
screen%20shot%202017-03-02%20at%20113304.png

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suspect the UK government doesn't look into Russia much because London is swimming in Russian money. They don't seem interested beyond a slap on the wrist to Farage and Banks, if that. In cahoots I think.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I suspect the UK government doesn't look into Russia much because London is swimming in Russian money. They don't seem interested beyond a slap on the wrist to Farage and Banks, if that. In cahoots I think.
I think the biggest takeaway, when all is said and done, is going to be that Russia has been deeply ingrained in US and EU politics for decades, on all sides. I'm guessing we're going to find out a lot of politicians and groups received Russian money dating as far back as the 80s at least.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest takeaway, when all is said and done, is going to be that Russia has been deeply ingrained in US and EU politics for decades, on all sides. I'm guessing we're going to find out a lot of politicians and groups received Russian money dating as far back as the 80s at least.

I don't think it will be 80s. It will be starting in 90s after the cold war ended with it really taking off as Putin took power in Russia. There really was an ingrained hate and fear of Russia through the cold war that discouraged this type of behavior. Once it ended and Putin was consolidating power and money I think is when it took off.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it will be 80s. It will be starting in 90s after the cold war ended with it really taking off as Putin took power in Russia. There really was an ingrained hate and fear of Russia through the cold war that discouraged this type of behavior. Once it ended and Putin was consolidating power and money I think is when it took off.
I mentioned the 80s specifically because, in the past, I had heard rumors that Ted Kennedy was potentially taking money from Russians at the very tail end of the Soviet Union. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true anymore.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe we are ever going to find evidence of widespread Russian ingerence besides some Twitter fuckery and maybe some advisory role regarding Leave and UKIP, which is something Russia has never been particularly coy about. Nothing about the Leave campaign was nearly as explosive as the Clinton scandal and the news coverage regarding the issue was basically the same as always. British tabloids don't need Russian help to crank out the vilest, most xenophobic and racist covers in the Western hemisphere and it's not like they carried any particularly shocking story trying to discredit the Remain camp.

Leave and the Tories just tapped into the dormant British ethnonationalism. Things just went the only way they could go after decades of blatant Europhobia and dog whistling.

I think The Guardian had an interesting story about how the Tories don't like Russia's meddling at all, but there's a chance nothing important may come out from any investigation because there's a metric fuckton of Russian money tied to prominent British businessmen, but also the UKIP being absurdly popular among high ranking officials in positions involving defence and the police, which would seriously hinder any effort to shed some light.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned the 80s specifically because, in the past, I had heard rumors that Ted Kennedy was potentially taking money from Russians at the very tail end of the Soviet Union. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true anymore.
That's probably just be red scare bullshit given the time frame and his profile at the time.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
It only occurred to me last week to look at the way the two probably most prominent (certainly most puissant) western powers have been split down the middle by these events. It's deeply suspect, and worryingly grave.