• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I can see it happening as a limited series. I don't doubt that at the very least they entertained the idea after the crossover was done.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
This has probably already been asked and answered, but I'm sort of confused about how the multiverse works post-Crisis. Last night's Supergirl seemed to establish that there no longer is a multiverse, just the universe of Earth Prime. However, we clearly see other Earths at the end of the Crisis arc. Are those other Earths somehow in the same universe, just at different locations, or did they just mean that the universes of anyone formerly from another (non-Earth 1) universe who was now stuck on Earth Prime no longer had a universe?

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This has probably already been asked and answered, but I'm sort of confused about how the multiverse works post-Crisis. Last night's Supergirl seemed to establish that there no longer is a multiverse, just the universe of Earth Prime. However, we clearly see other Earths at the end of the Crisis arc. Are those other Earths somehow in the same universe, just at different locations, or did they just mean that the universes of anyone formerly from another (non-Earth 1) universe who was now stuck on Earth Prime no longer had a universe?
As far as the people are concerned they think the multiverse is gone cause they seen all there universe merged.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Watched all five episodes yesterday.

What I loved:

Flash-90 and the brief clip of 1990's Flash. Got me in the feels.
Ezra Miller cameo
Routh as Superman
Constantine and Lucifer
Wentworth Miller as the voice of the ship AI
All the other mini-cameos
The scene in the future Justice League building
The use of the old Superman and Justice League theme songs
The empty cage at the end

What I didn't like:

The terrible CGI
The godawful script
The convoluted plot

I knew from the start that I wasn't gonna fully understand everything because I only ever watched Flash and Legends (stopped watching them back in 2018 or 2019), but I still wanted to see the team-up. And, of course, I never read the original comic books, but I kinda understood its significance and what it was looking to do.

Still, the plot made sense only at times. Characters kept making some very dumb decisions (par for the course for the Flash, I suppose).

Anyways, I enjoyed it for the fan service, but that's about it.

Still don't feel like going back to Flash or to start watching any of the other shows. though.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of RouthMan being given one more chance is too damn good to ignore.

I would love it even more if somehow he was allowed to build his own brand new canon. Maybe some newer/re-purposed faces and love interests.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That gets a little confusing with the Ezra scene but I think it still works, it's up to the movies if that scene is ever acknowledged, just because another Flash exisited in the speed force doesn't mean he ended up on another earth, if it becomes something it doesn't mean prime Barry ignored it, just that it was something weird that happened inbetween multiverses existing.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Brandon Routh Superman on HBO Max please!!!
So sick of the CW production quality that is going to limit how good it can be.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Brandon Routh Superman on HBO Max with Green Lantern can slowly build up their own big budget Justice League universe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit. This kinda makes sense and I kinda like this. If they have no way of verifying that there is still a multiverse, how would they know?

Brainiac even said that he did a scan at the original multiverse's vibrational frequency and found nothing, so it seems like what happened is this new multiverse Oliver created operates at a slightly different frequency than the original one. Therefore trying to scan for other universes won't work with the original algorithms that Cisco generated.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok but why do DC TV shows got better action filmmaking than whole superhero movies? Better assistant directors or stunts people? Was watching some previous crossover specials like Elseworlds and noticed this, like the warehouse fight with the Nazis.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crisis fallouts so far
Batwoman
Beth and Alice are two separate people

Supergirl
Brainy doppelgangers and an evil Winn

Black Lightning
Might not be Crisis fuckery but Lady Eve is back and is revealed to be the one to put out a hit on Gambi

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis fallouts so far
Batwoman

Supergirl

Black Lightning
Might not be Crisis fuckery but Lady Eve is back and is revealed to be the one to put out a hit on Gambi

Wait, how the fuck is the first one possible? Doesn't that fundamentally change some character relationships?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Crisis fallouts so far
Batwoman

Supergirl

Black Lightning

For the Batwoman one, I wonder if this is where we get into the part of Bat lore where Kate tends to get more involved in the supernatural side of Gotham.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ok but why do DC TV shows got better action filmmaking than whole superhero movies? Better assistant directors or stunts people? Was watching some previous crossover specials like Elseworlds and noticed this, like the warehouse fight with the Nazis.
Ummm are you sure? You're saying the CW shows have better action scenes than, say, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ummm are you sure? You're saying the CW shows have better action scenes than, say, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc?
Definitely better than Marvel films. Not as good as Aquaman (which is an exception anyway for superhero films) but the long shots and choreography are still impressive for a TV show, it's not like the quick edits of Marvel films to hide the stunt actors. They must have great stunt coordinators, no surprise Lexi Alexander worked on Supergirl, possibly consulted on the other DC shows.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely better than Marvel films. Not as good as Aquaman (which is an exception anyway for superhero films) but the long shots and choreography are still impressive for a TV show, it's not like the quick edits of Marvel films to hide the stunt actors. They must have great stunt coordinators, no surprise Lexi Alexander worked on Supergirl, possibly consulted on the other DC shows.
I can't say I completely agree, but I will say that Marvel films tend to rely on CG effects way too much, to the point where everything looks fake and artificial. Meanwhile, the CW does whatever they can with peanuts. Sometimes it works, and sometimes, well... not so much (that final fight against the Anti-Monitor, oof).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
BL is my favorite post crisis. Shit Jenn wasn't even in Crisis and is showing more growth from it than people who were

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier in the thread, as much as I like Cryer's Lex, I'm imagining the reaction in this thread if Rosenbaum's Lex was randomly the one who replaced Routh-Superman at the end of Part 3, followed by that month-long cliffhanger.

Nah he doesn't have that shit eating grinning, very weasly vibe that Cryer has.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
What about Nash Wells / Pariah is still there, but he was manipulated by Reverse Flash in a way to do almost the same thing?

- Reverse Flash learns somehow about The Monitor and The Anti-Monitor.
- Reverse Flash decides if he can't win against The Flash, then The Flash should not be able to win against him too, so Reverse Flash wants The Anti-Monitor to be released and the multiverse to be destroyed.
- Reverse Flash recruits and manipulates Nash Wells / Pariah to do almost everything he already did.
- Reverse Flash or Nash Wells / Pariah releases the Anti-Monitor.
- Crisis on Infinite Earths happens.
- New multiverse happens.
- Nash Wells / Pariah is still there, as well as Reverse Flash.
- The Flash tells Reverse Flash: "We are still there. Your plan have failed, Thawne. We have succeeded to beat you once again!"
- Reverse Flash replies: "Well, I had to try... We'll meet again Allen. We'll meet again soon enough."
- Reverse Flash runs away and disappears.

Would it have make more sense for people that kept asking about Reverse Flash to be seen in Crisis on Infinite Earths?

I think this would've been good. But it still doesn't have the big fight between Flash and him like it was promised.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the long write-up here.

Finally caught up with the ending of this last night. I enjoyed the first three episodes, in spite of/because of how dopey they were, but I thought 4 and 5 were kinda...pretty bad. For being the climax of the story, it was a bizarre move to make part 4 mostly filler. Maybe they just didn't have enough story for 5 episodes (I mean, they clearly didn't lol) but that doesn't really excuse padding out the episode with the Paragons meeting past versions of other characters in the Speed Force...none of these scenes affected or amounted to anything, and existed purely to draw out long how it'd take to get everyone to the final battle. Speaking of, that final battle? Kind of a big let down! Everyone duking it out with shadow demons was a retread of what'd already been a lame fight (this time with the addition of Ryan Choi swinging around a screwdriver?), but also the characters didn't even do anything! Why were the paragons so important to saving the multiverse? Because they needed seven people to stare up at the sky, I guess. Come on. I'm sure there was a pretty limited scope of resources for this whole thing, but surely they could've thought something for these people to do! I couldn't believe that they were really just going to stage that shot as these seven people looking up, and nothing else, with no other effects or anything happening to signify that something was even going on.

I did like Oliver sacrificing himself against the Anti-Monitor to rebirth the multiverse and thought it was a better way to kill him versus the off-screen death of part 1 (for as rushed and largely unexplained as his Spectre transformation was). Still rubs me the wrong way though that the ones with Oliver at the end are Barry and Sara. The latter I get and like, but why is it, in both of Oliver's deaths, they couldn't contrive a scenario that has actual characters from the show Arrow there?!

Part 5 was ok, but felt like an unnecessarily long epilogue that was more geared around explaining universe-mashing continuity adjustments than anything else, as is the DC way. The Anti-Monitor's sudden return felt pointless. I dropped the Arrowverse years ago so I was pretty out of the loop on who or what the fuck Beebo was lol. There were some nice character interactions, mainly thinking Barry/Sara, and the Justice League formation was kind of cool in its own cheesy way. The Hall of Justice funeral for Oliver was fine but again, how could you do a funeral for Oliver Queen that doesn't include a single character from Arrow! It was especially jarring that Black Lightning was there, a man who by his own admission never even met Oliver! I get that the writers wanted to transition from this to the JL reveal in the same scene, but still.

Some highlights for me:
  • Jon Cryer as Lex. Haven't watched Supergirl since its first year so this is prob old news to most, but man was Cryer's performance a lot of fun.
  • Brandon Routh as the OG Superman. There was criminally too little of him! But what we had was great to see; the man fits the character like a glove. Hope there is something to that rumor of a Routh Superman series.
  • Lots of nice cameos in the first half of the series -- Burt Ward, Knox from Batman 89, Birds of Prey, Tom Welling who was great, Kevin Conroy in a role that didn't quite work on screen but hey hearing that voice in live action was still pretty cool. I also really liked that OG 1990 Flash was the one who plays the sacrifice, even though it didn't really amount to anything. Should we assume all of these worlds are still gone since they weren't seen in the final montage or no?
  • Matt Ryan's surprisingly large role as Constantine. Thought the guy was great as Diggle and Mia's guide to Lucifer (also a great cameo! I don't even watch the show but he was fun) and purgatory. A nice supporting role.
  • Generally liked the whole 'end of the world' vibe of the first few episodes. It immediately felt like higher stakes than these kinds of things normally do, and for as lame as the Anti-Monitor was in person, I think they did a good job with establishing the threat and a shit-is-getting-real tone to the whole thing.
Things that didn't work for me:
  • As mentioned above, the climax and resolution for the whole story felt super underbaked, and for as much as the Paragons were billed as the last hope and saviors for the multiverse, nobody really did anything. It all basically came down to Oliver -- which I like in its own right, being the one who started this all. But given how much of the story was built around the Paragons, the fact they were such a non-factor in the end felt like a huge scripting miscalculation.
  • Why wasn't there more Superman?!
  • Batwoman just doesn't work for me at all. Also wasn't a fan of using COIE as a backdoor pilot for Ryan Choi; feels like a cheap way of making someone who is so plainly unimportant feel essential (which, like all the other Paragons, he was not).
  • Monitor is a terrible character and is frustratingly vague for no reason. The clock is ticking on the end of the multiverse and he thinks a good use of time is to send Kate and Kara on a roundabout trip for Kate to discover she's a paragon, something he knew about already?!
  • Pariah. Feel bad for Cavanaugh on this, the dialogue he was asked to deliver was so bad. Making him the cause for the entire crisis was also such a bizarre story choice. He plays very little role in the whole story, and the characters never really grapple with the fact that all these trillions of deaths and the collapse of existence was entirely this guy's fault! J'onn chews him out a bit in the last ep but everything about Pariah just felt really off. He appears out of nowhere at the very end of the first ep, hangs around moping for most of the second and third, and then there's no real resolution for this character at the end. Just didn't get what the writers were going for here.
And there's prob some more stuff but this post is long enough as is. All in all, the first half of this event was dopey fun but it didn't really come together for me in the second half.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Hall of Justice funeral for Oliver was fine but again, how could you do a funeral for Oliver Queen that doesn't include a single character from Arrow! It was especially jarring that Black Lightning was there, a man who by his own admission never even met Oliver!

Oliver is getting a real funeral in the series finale, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.