• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
mv5bnjvjodzmywetnjzhnc00mtdkltgymgytndbiodrmmzjkmd_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t4i-pre.jpg

Trailer

Behind the scenes look

Season 1

10 Episodes: Out now.

Reviews

ddf5w1c-6114b216-1cd3-4382-a0b3-cdbbb5360ace.jpg

ddf5thu-424c6d11-059a-44b3-bedb-7c4f33ff8184.jpg

Enjoy The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance for what it is, a masterpiece of expertly crafted puppet-driven fantasy, and do it while you can. It's not just a new Netflix series, it's an event, and you don't want to be left out. - Collider
Executive-produced by Lisa Henson, "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" is, quite simply, one of the all-time great fantasy epics, as well as the masterwork of puppetry most closely aligned with Jim Henson's humanistic philosophy since his son Brian helmed 1992's holiday perennial, "The Muppet Christmas Carol." ... A wondrous, fully realized masterpiece. - RogerEbert.com
It's dense going, until the outlines of the heroes' journey snaps into focus. ... Age Of Resistance is the best type of YA fantasy fiction, engrossing and escapist and full of hidden depths, ideal for viewers weaned on Harry Potter and The Legend Of Zelda but not quite ready for George R.R. Martin. - A.V. Club
One of the most ambitious and immersive TV events of the year. ... The level of detail in the puppets and their surroundings is, to be blunt, astonishing. Still, "Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" would've been nothing more than a technical feat without a story and characters to match, so it's to the writers' credit (not to mention the voice actors' and impressive puppeteers') that the interwoven stories are equally compelling. - Variety
The absolute joy [is] evident in every frame of "Age of Resistance," where puppetry skills and computer-generated artistry combine to exult in seamless perfection. Muppet fans will surely recognize the intuitively expressive Henson style; others might admire the skill with which the writers balance simplicity (and humor) with the intensity and complexity of the plot. - The Washington Post
The visual detail is astounding, from the puppets' ornate hairstyles to an immersive backdrop of enchanted forests, imposing castles and cave cities constructed in miniature. ... The premise is more fantasy boilerplate, though it does resonate in divisive times. The real problem is the pacing; the show spends so much time panning over landscapes and watching puppets hang out that you can start to lose the plot. It takes nearly half of the 10-episode season to get the quest set up. - Time

enc_lan_historiography_r_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t0k-fullview.jpg

enc_darkcrystal_title_short_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t14-fullview.jpg

The land of The Dark Crystal is beautiful and mysterious. Sometimes frightening, but always magical, it is a world where no human walks. Nature has its own intelligence and the kingdom of plant and animal no boundary. In this world trees walk, mountains move and rock, water, and plants converse in a myriad of unknown ways.

Over all rises the Castle of the Dark Crystal, home of the Skeksis, the masters of all evil. Inherited from a legendary group of wise beings who vanished mysteriously years ago, the Castle is evidence of the Skeksis' decadent corruption. The grandeur of the past is dimmed by the filth of years of greed and decay.

The Castle is guarded by the Garthim, a band of fierce warriors encased in shell-like armour, who enforce the Skeksis' rule. Deep in the heart of the Castle lies the Dark Crystal. This glowing stone is the key to the Skeksis' power and focal point of their rituals.

The Skeksis fear one thing, an ancient prophecy that the Gelfling, a race of elf-like creatures, will somehow destroy their power. To save their corrupt dynasty these cruel rulers have tried over many years to eliminate the Gelfling race. Unknown to the Skeksis, one Gelfling, Jen, was saved, plucked from death, and raised by the urRu, a group of hermit-like mystics.

Jen grown up certain he is the last of his race and his life is shattered when his Master dies. With his dying breath the urRu sets Jen a task. He shows him the image of a crystal shard and tells Jen this must be found and returned to its rightful place before the coming of the Great Conjunction when three suns make one, or, all things whole and good will be destroyed.

Wrenched from the tranquility of the Mystic Valley, Jen is thrust into the danger and excitement of a quest upon which depends the future of his entire world. As he travels through the wilderness, an alien landscape alive with strange, chattering creatures, a bat bird with a seeing-crystal betrays his existence. Fearful that the prophecy will be fulfilled, the Skeksis send the Garthim warriors to track down Jen.

Amid the clutter of the observatory of Aughra the astronomer, Jen finds the crystal shard and learns something of his destiny. The Garthim attack and to escape Jen plunges into the swamp. Lost, and frightened by creatures of bizarre appearance, Jen's fear turns into astonishment when he meets Kira, a Gelfling girl, and realizes that another of his race is alive.
enc_aor_title_short_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t1g-fullview.jpg

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra, with an all new adventure. When three young Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

Director, Louis Leterrier on what to expect:
"As a filmmaker, one of my earliest influences was Jim Henson's masterpiece 'The Dark Crystal,' a movie that brought to life a universe rich in detail and teeming with incredible characters. The creativity in the film was limitless and groundbreaking for that time, restricted only by the special effects tools of its day.
"As I envision 'Age of Resistance,' I am most excited about joining today's film techniques with the practical visual effects that are such an integral part of The Dark Crystal – the artistry, the craftsmanship, the performances, and of course the puppets! It is a gift and an honor to work alongside the teams at The Jim Henson Company and Netflix, the artists at Jim Henson's Creature Shop, and the Frouds, as we begin this new adventure, diving deeper into the world of Thra and working hard to bring fans all they have hoped for."

enc_lan_characters_r_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t0o-fullview.jpg

Cast and characters:

Leading the voice cast are:

Taron Egerton, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Nathalie Emmanuel as Rian, Brea and Deet, three Gelfling heroes.

Other Gelflings voiced by:

Caitriona Balfe
Helena Bonham-Carter
Harris Dickinson
Natalie Dormer
Eddie Izzard
Theo James
Toby Jones
Shazad Latif
Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Mark Strong
Alicia Vikander

The Skeksis and Mystics are voiced by:

Harvey Fierstein
Mark Hamill
Ralph Ineson
Jason Isaacs
Keegan-Michael Key
Ólafur Darri Ólafsson
Simon Pegg
Andy Samberg

Aughra will be voiced by:

Donna Kimball

enc_lan_world_r_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5t09-fullview.jpg

ddf5t0u-951cbf43-76af-43ab-ab8a-1242aa060ad9.jpg

Gelfling are two to three feet tall. Female Gelfling have wings; males do not. Gelfling can have special abilities enabling them to share memories through touch. Gelfling were the people of Thra. Aughra described them as innocent, naive and forgetful. Their society was composed of many Gelfling clans during the Age of Harmony. During the Age of Division, with the help of the Skeksis, they formed a high civilization of seven great clans, led by a matriarch called the All-Maudra.

Over time, the Gelfling learned the truth that the Skeksis were draining Gelfling of their essence and drinking it to slow the Skeksis' aging process. In a time known as "The Gelfling Gathering," the Gelfling clans aimed to form a united front to defeat the Skeksis and heal their divided world.

Over time, the Gelfling learned the truth that the Skeksis were draining Gelfling of their essence and drinking it to slow the Skeksis' aging process. In a time known as "The Gelfling Gathering," the Gelfling clans aimed to form a united front to defeat the Skeksis and heal their divided world. The Gelfling sought to know if the Crystal might be healed and if the Skeksis rule must continue. They lit the fires of rebellion and their dreams were made into stone. There, in the ruins wrought by the Skeksis, the Prophecy etched into the Wall of Destiny stood for all to see.

In the Prophecy, the Gelfling were shown the quest for the lost shard, and they were shown the healing of the Crystal by Gelfling hand, replacing the Shard by the light of a Great Conjunction. They were shown the ruin of the Gelfling and the fall of the seven clans.

When the Skeksis learned of this prophecy, they immediately sought to thwart it. In their madness and paranoia, they created the Garthim soldiers and Crystal Bat spies, dispatching them to hunt down and exterminate the Gelfling. They even manufactured false shards to hinder the Gelfling in their quest to heal the Crystal.

Thus began the Garthim Wars. Only two Gelfling, Jen and Kira, are known to have survived.

ddf5szt-80834b36-f497-4660-939d-6d89d7b63db5.jpg

Reptilian and bird-like creatures with long necks and six limbs (four arms, two legs). The Skeksis are rapacious, whimsical and cruel.

At the close of the Age of Harmony, the second Great Conjunction occurred and marked the beginning of the Age of Division. During this Great Conjunction, the urSkeks stepped into the light of the suns that filtered through the Crystal and refracted through the urSkeks' mirrors. Unintentionally, the urSkeks were split into two separate creatures: the Skeksis and the urRu.

The Skeksis were the personification of their destructive, cruel and aggressive impulses while the urRu were the personification of their creative, healing and passive impulses. For every urRu, there was a corresponding Skeksis. Immediately following the split, confused fighting erupted. Two Skeksis, and therefore two urRu, were murdered.

Destructive behavior continued, and one of the Skeksis struck the Crystal and cracked it. The resulting release of energy – the kakoi – broke off a dagger-shaped shard and changed everything.

The Crystal darkened, turning from pure bright white to dimly glowing violet. And with the darkening of the Crystal, so too did the world turn dark. A blighted wasteland slowly and inexorably crept from the Castle and strange creatures began appearing throughout Thra's wilderness.

After the initial shock of the cracking of the Crystal, the Skeksis settled into their roles as Lords of the Dark Crystal. Led by Emperor skekSo, they played the role of extravagant hosts to both Gelfling and Podling alike, holding grand feasts and games.

Meanwhile, over the course of hundreds of trine, the Skeksis went from eccentric nobles to mad despots. With the passage of time, their powers began to fade. The Skeksis scientist called skekTek experimented with the Dark Crystal. It discovered how to use the refracted light of the Crystal to drain the essence and weaken the will of Gelfling and Podlings, turning them into mindless slaves.

This final act shocked the Gelfling out of their naiveté. Why would the Skeksis harm them? The Skeksis provided no answer other than to cull more of the Gelfling for use as slaves and sources of essence.

When the Skeksis learned of the Prophecy, they immediately sought to thwart it. In their madness and paranoia, they created the Garthim soldiers and Crystal Bat spies, dispatching them to hunt down and exterminate the Gelfling. They even manufactured false shards to hinder the Gelfling in their quest to heal the Crystal.

Ultimately, the Skeksis were seemingly successful in eliminating all but two of the Gelfling — Jen and Kira.

ddf5vlu-300b0217-dd07-4536-b286-a1edf2fec4ce.jpg

Slow-moving, peaceful, ponderous creatures with six limbs (four arms, two legs), hunched backs and long necks. Each Mystic wears a unique coat or robe worked with spiral patterns.

The urRu, the peaceful, passive counterparts to the Skeksis, came into existence when the light of the Crystal of Truth shined upon the urSkeks during the Second Great Conjunction and divided the urSkeks into two beings. While the Skeksis were rapacious, whimsical and cruel, the urRu, dubbed the "Mystics" by the Gelfling, were creative and healing creatures. Each was linked to a Skeksis opposite; whatever fate one suffered, the other suffered the same. Immediately after the urSkeks split, confused fighting erupted and two Skeksis (and therefore two urRu) were murdered.

After the division, it was the Mystics who took on the sorrows of the world. Although they had inherited the mystical wisdom of the urSkeks, they were powerless to use it outside their own valley, since the division robbed them of their ability to act.

After the Skeksis settled into their roles as Lords of the Dark Crystal, the Mystics slowly made their way to a nearby valley to contemplate their fate. They used their magic to speak to the stones of the valley, etching spirals on them that formed an impenetrable ward, which the Skeksis and their maleficence could not penetrate.

ddf5szx-e878a748-8a9e-4c82-b354-6d53df5a8d7e.jpg

The Pod People were highly skilled gardeners who lived inside great Pod plants. They had reached an advanced stage of symbiosis with the Pod plant, but also cultivated many other fruits and vegetables. They domesticated the Nebrie grub, their totem animal, from whose milk they made cheese and whose actions gave them auguries. They had also domesticated the Fizzgig, an active quadruped who they raised to herd nebrie and occasionaly used for keeping watch on plant tendrils. Their music, to judge by their instruments, was based on harmony quite close to our own.

The Garthim disrupted their peaceful peasant lives when they began to carry off the Pod People to the Castle. There, drained of their essence by skekTek the Scientist, they were reduced to slaves and made to serve the Skeksis' decadent lifestyle.
After the Garthim took Kira's mother, the Pod People adopted her (and named her Kira). They taught her herbalism and how to speak to living things. She learned to live in harmony with the woodland creatures that inhabited the swamps and forests surrounding the Podling village.

Kira brought Jen to the Podling village during their journey to the Castle. The Pod People prepared a feast for them, a festive occasion filled with food, music and dancing. But the Garthim raided the village and captured the Podlings, taking them to the Castle. Jen and Kira narrowly escaped.

enc_aughra_title_tall_2x_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf5vsc-fullview.jpg

Wizened, three-and-a-half feet tall, ram-horned, three-eyed, ornery, capricious, and maternal. Aughra has one working detachable eye and two blind eyes. She is the embodiment of Thra, similar to a nature god. Aughra is inscrutable and gruff.

Old enough to know the world that existed before the race of Gelfling came to be, Aughra remembered life on Thra before the Mystics and Skeksis evolved their separate codes.

"Of the race of Aughra, I, Aughra, am alone, the first and last. Born from the need for rocks and trees for an eye to see the world. The wind blew and the blind trees sang and roots twisted in the dark rocks and the roots sang and the rocks cracked and I was Aughra. This is my song. The rocks will me to be their eye; the roots willed me to be their eye. Blind rocks that felt the heartbeat of the World; blind trees swaying in the breathing of the wind made to view for them all the shapes of the World. Slowly, slowly the roots split the rock and I was free. The First Age of Aughra was of innocence and it was long. Then it was Aughra and the race of the Gelfling who shared the World. The Gelfling sang and danced for the joy of their lives, and I was part of their joy. - Aughra"

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Dope thread. I actually wasn't too sure how this would turn out but the reviews are tremendous. Really looking forward to this.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing and I don't even have much nostalgia for the original. Can't wait to get to it after I finish off Mindhunters.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Episode 1 was great, and the pacing is good.
This series' visuals are a feast for the eyes~

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I need some good screenshots of the Chamberlain to make me a new avatar. That little jerk won me over XP

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first episode earlier and it's a beautiful show. I'm not a big fan of the original movie but I'm enjoying the show so far at least.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
can't believe it's finally happened. granted it's not particularly "The Dark Crystal 2" that's been in limbo for years but who cares

one of my earliest memories is watching the movie when i couldn't have been older than 4... to think i'm pushing 40 and about to watch a prequel, like an honest to god decently budgeted production with practical effects and such, i never would've expected that. just nuts

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for breaking down the lore. Helpful stuff, OP.

I'm old enough that I should have seen the original by now but never have. I should get to that before diving into this new series

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Excited. I recently re-watched the original and unfortunately I agree it's probably one of Henson's worst written/paced projects with one of the more interesting worlds. There seems to be a lot to explore so I have high hopes for this mini series.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Great OP to much a great show. I am so in love with everything at the moment and I wasn't a fan of the original film.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming all of this backstory and lore is from some book somewhere, because I've watched the original movie a number of times since I was a kid and never even knew the world even had an established name, lol.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Excited. I recently re-watched the original and unfortunately I agree it's probably one of Henson's worst written/paced projects with one of the more interesting worlds. There seems to be a lot to explore so I have high hopes for this mini series.

Same

SUPER STOKED for this on principle alone but have never been able to finish the original. I was always a Labyrinth kid growing up :)

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Have finished the first 4 episodes and this is something special. The craft alone is worth your time but it is also a great ride that doesn't forget to be fun amidst its epic fantasy adventuring.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Deet <3
She is so cute.

Also i cant decide whether i hate or like the chamberlain more.

Also Captain Ordon is Titus from W40K Space Marine.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Only watched the first episode but what a treat this is. Immaculate set and creature design, unbelievably gorgeous, good fantasy setup so far. Feels kind of unbelievable that we have 10 hours of a fantasy show featuring actual puppetry in 2019. I cannot wait to watch more.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the original movie last night, it was still so beautiful.

My boyfriend gave me shit for enjoying some "weirdo" flick though. ;_;

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

Looking forward to hearing Simon Pegg's take on this character.

He's so good and sounds nothing like himself, most of the actors sound like themselves(more or less) but Pegg really disappears in the role, made me think Pegg should do more voice work.
Awkwafina is also great, she doesn't have that chameleon quality going but she uses her distinctive voice quite well.

Nathalie Emmanuel might give the best performance of all and, heck, everything about Deet is perfectly realized.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
This is...set as a prequel to the movie? Right?

Wouldn't that mean we know the quest undertaken here ends in failure as the movie has only two gelflings left alive.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
He's so good and sounds nothing like himself, most of the actors sound like themselves but Pegg really disappears in the role, made me think Pegg should do more voice work.
Awkwafina is also great, she doesn't have that chameleon quality going but she uses her distinctive voice quite well.

Nathalie Emmanuel might give the best performance and, heck, everything about Deet is perfectly realized.

Deet and Hup are developing quite the great friendship. Love them.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
This is...set as a prequel to the movie? Right?

Wouldn't that mean we know the quest undertaken here ends in failure as the movie has only two gelflings left alive.

Technically, but you can assume the things they do somehow set things in motion for the ultimate victory in the film.
Or, just think of it like star wars. We know going into the prequels that the republic fails and the jedi are wiped out, but it's (theoretically) interesting seeing how we got there.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Technically, but you can assume the things they do somehow set things in motion for the ultimate victory in the film.
Or, just think of it like star wars. We know going into the prequels that the republic fails and the jedi are wiped out, but it's (theoretically) interesting seeing how we got there.

Oh totally - I was just confirming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Okay guys, you win. I've made a request to the mods to update the thread subtitle.

In celebration, here's 2 hours of HmMMMMMmmmm

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
While you don't need to watch the movie before. Part of the fun of watching the film is not knowing what a Gelfling is exactly, and what their abilities are. This prequel show explains all of that pretty much right off the bat. I imagine watching the movie for the first time after the show will take away some of the discovery. So I would suggest watching the movie first.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is charming as fuck, but I was hoping for shorter episodes after the first. Gonna take me a while to get through this.