• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Wow.

The Dark Crystal was one of my favorite movies as a kid and this has got to be one of the best fantasy TV series on TV in years. I don't know what else to say but when is the next season?

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Knew nothing about the movie. Finished the show and thought.. well that was a nice happy ending.

2 minutes into the movie, welp.. season 2 is gonna be depressing.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the series, but I think I've ruined the movie for me, since I watched it right after.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I loved the series, but I think I've ruined the movie for me, since I watched it right after.
I think in this case it's better to watch the movie first considering it's been out so long. Pretty much everyone knows what's going to happen going in.

The documentary is great too. Thanks to whoever pointed it out.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm like obsessed with the Skeksis now that I've finished this show and I'm returning to rewatch their scenes.

If we get to a Season 2, I want to see the rest introduced. For the ones we havent seen yet:

• SkekLi the Satirist and SkekSa the Mariner have never been seen in the film or series.
  • SkekUng the Garthim-Master needs to be introduced since he's a big part of the original film
  • SkekNa the Slave-Master and SkekShod the Treasurer were in the original film, but I dont remember them doing or saying anything important
So that's 5 whole Skeksis that we might get to see introduced and expanded upon!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a chance that they'll just adapt/re-do the movie as a 3rd season?
Based on an interview with producers originally Netflix wanted to do a sequel but the director who came onboard convinced them that a prequel offers more interesting questions and premises.

Most likely if this series continues to succeed Netflix will do that sequel but with another director more interested in tackling that time period.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
From what I've read online it appears they're considering doing another season which could take place in another time period between this series and the next- so completely different Gelflings.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see another two, maybe three seasons, possibly taking the concept of Aughra's many potentialities and going a diffferent route to the film. The TV show and the film would then be two separate entities.

Realistically, I think one more season featuring the Garthim War is the safe option.

i think season 2 can be empire strikes back but in reverse - the gelflings gather together, and make serious pushbacks against skeksis rule. even with seladon's turn, i think one strategy the skeksis can have is guaranteeing safety to certain clans who fight against the three (or more) rian/brea/deet lead. maybe one of the big battles is against just one or two garthim, and then the final episode reveals a full army - and everyone's basically screwed.

then season 3 could more seriously tie into the events of the movie - have the main characters fighting a weakening resistance but are essentially being hunted to extinction. and then put important details where they'll need to be for the movie to make sense. ideally, the final episode or two would be a retelling or remake of the movie, except with stronger writing and pacing.

beyond that, i don't think there's much you can do. starting this series, i thought it was placed a lot earlier than the movie (centuries instead of decades), so i figured there could be more creative freedom, but it looks like this links up much more closely to the film. instead of doing more seasons of age of resistance, it would be great to have a sequel to the film instead. do power of the dark crystal and give it its own limited run series or tv show. netflix did it with wet hot american summer so why not.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This show is so fucking good.

the movie was there with labyrinth as one of those neat jim henson projects that were on the dark side, but slotted in well with the neverending story and don bluth's 80s films (and return to oz, but i didn't see that until i was a teenager). it was one of the lesser-watched films too because as neat as it was to look at, the film's kind of a slog - especially compared to labyrinth with david bowie lifting up the movie every time it starts to sag.

so... it was neat that they were making this series... but given how it was on the lower end of my childhood favorites, and that it was a prequel, it just kinda slid under my radar. didn't even check the reviews before i decided to check it out.

and holy shit - it has no business being this good. everyone put in the goddamn effort to make this thing work despite all the potential hardships. the documentary making of the show was pretty eye-opening at how much everyone cared to put their brains and bodies at work to make something this unique and special.

in short, i agree.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like obsessed with the Skeksis now that I've finished this show and I'm returning to rewatch their scenes.

If we get to a Season 2, I want to see the rest introduced. For the ones we havent seen yet:

• SkekLi the Satirist and SkekSa the Mariner have never been seen in the film or series.
  • SkekUng the Garthim-Master needs to be introduced since he's a big part of the original film
  • SkekNa the Slave-Master and SkekShod the Treasurer were in the original film, but I dont remember them doing or saying anything important
So that's 5 whole Skeksis that we might get to see introduced and expanded upon!
If we get another season I'm sure we see the other five. Satirist/Mariner (and Heretic) are not in the film so we can assume they have to die sometime in the series, and I'm sure they will relish giving more development to the Treasurer and Slavemaster who were background characters in the film with next to no lines or role, much as they did with characters like the Scroll-keeper and Gourmand.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
It was HARD getting through this as even though
I don't remember much from the movie I remembered enough to know that shit goes BAD for our lil friends and I couldn't handle seeing that play out when each episode was so heavy and full of great characters.

I hope that if they make a Season 2 they straight up say "The only way to win is to make the crystal whole at this special time ...so we're gonna fall back, hide MOST of our people underground to make it seem like we've died out and wait for the vision to come to pass. Those 2 will catch them off guard, basically strolling in there and make the crystal whole! Lets play that LOOOONG con!"

So good, rewatched the movie shortly after finishing and it's POSSIBLE that large groups of others are hidden away.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
After watching 6 episodes, I'm not sure it's for children at all. There are some creepy scenes. Anyway, this show hypnotizes me. I haven't seen such creativity in environments, settings and universes in a long time.

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
6 episodes in and loving it. Gorgeous design and amazing craftsmanship on display in every scene. The one thing that bugs me now and again is the dialogue - it feels so much more talky than the movie. The Skeksis in the movie were basically all grunts and simple sentences, so it's jarring in the show when the emperor or the scientist go into these wordy expository monologues. It leaves me with this weird tension between what's being said, which seems over-explanatory and aimed at 6 year olds, vs. the visuals and themes, which would terrify every 6 year old I've ever known. I guess I wish they'd trust the audience a bit more.

All that said, it's astonishing that it even exists, that Netflix gave it the budget they did and how well everything else is executed.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
6 episodes in and loving it. Gorgeous design and amazing craftsmanship on display in every scene. The one thing that bugs me now and again is the dialogue - it feels so much more talky than the movie. The Skeksis in the movie were basically all grunts and simple sentences, so it's jarring in the show when the emperor or the scientist go into these wordy expository monologues. It leaves me with this weird tension between what's being said, which seems over-explanatory and aimed at 6 year olds, vs. the visuals and themes, which would terrify every 6 year old I've ever known. I guess I wish they'd trust the audience a bit more.

All that said, it's astonishing that it even exists, that Netflix gave it the budget they did and how well everything else is executed.

i watched the movie again last night, and i really appreciate how much more the dialogue in the show fleshes the characters out. the old mystic who dies at the start of the film is like 'here's your quest oh man i should have said this sooner' and all of the dialogue feels like it flows that way - like it's just enough to explain what's happening in the scene, but not enough for actual characterization. characterization in the film is a lot of heavy lifting handled by the puppeteers and voice actors instead. this is an issue in labyrinth too, but there, characters like jareth and hoggle are more interesting because one is super charismatic singing man and the other has a noticeable character arc. jen and kira go and do a thing and aughra is also there, and skeksis are bad guys and that's it.

the film really could have done well to use something like this:

skeksil said:
Even if Rian talk, none will believe. They will shun him. Cast him out. How can they not? To believe him is not to believe themselves. Skeksis reign a thousand trine and will reign a thousand thousand more, until last star in sky goes dark. Gelfling will submit, head bowed, back bent as have always done. Gelfling want to be ruled. Gelfling need to be ruled. Because Gelfling are weak! Gelfling are small! And Skeksis are forever! We took the Crystal! Thra belongs to us, now! And is nothing... nothing Gelfling can do!

sml_x

Oct 27, 2017
the film really could have done well to use something like this:

That scene in the carriage is definitely a high point, as others have pointed out. Though part of why it works is because I think they did a much better job of capturing Chamberlain's speaking style from the film relative to the other Skeksis. Simon Pegg really just nails the role.

I was thinking more about the scene early on where the scientist discovers how to extract essence and prattles on and on with what is essentially a dictionary definition of the word essence. In the film, they extract essence, call it essence, and we get it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
That scene in the carriage is definitely a high point, as others have pointed out. Though part of why it works is because I think they did a much better job of capturing Chamberlain's speaking style from the film relative to the other Skeksis. Simon Pegg really just nails the role.

I was thinking more about the scene early on where the scientist discovers how to extract essence and prattles on and on with what is essentially a dictionary definition of the word essence. In the film, they extract essence, call it essence, and we get it.

ah i see what you mean. i guess some could use some trimming.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it today. GodDAMN at that final
scene w/skekMal, The Archer, the swelling music.

I love that the show is full of all these strange but interesting moments that add a lot of dimension, even if it's small--Aughra pleading with the others, saying they were friends once, that skekMal was the most beautiful of them, etc.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question-

This takes place before the movie right? Would it be better to watch this series before the movie if you haven't seen the movie yet?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
been a while since i've seen the movie, so was aughra as important in the original story or was it a retcon? as i recall, she was just some kooky lady who had the crystal shard for some unknown reason. don't think the skeksis cared too much about her either.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
She's a
been a while since i've seen the movie, so was aughra as important in the original story or was it a retcon? as i recall, she was just some kooky lady who had the crystal shard for some unknown reason. don't think the skeksis cared too much about her either.
She has always been the personification of Thra. No retcon

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Finished it and the first thing I did was go buy the movie on DVD so I can give it a re-watch. Telling anyone who will listen to give it a watch.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
7 episodes in and I just love it! It's like this show was tailored to my tastes.

They nail the atmosphere, they have pretty good characters and the craftsmanship and ideas for certain small things (the snake lock, or the way the golem states his mission) are absolutely fantastic.

Even if they will never do a season 2, I'd hope the studio sticks together and produces more in this way. I hope the coming Storyteller thing by Neil Gaiman is alsoade by this studio.

And I'd love to see a Crossover with Pratchett from them. This style would work wonders for a discworld adaptation.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

It's not *exactly* a ret con. The movie hints at her importance, but the ancillary material that came out afterward in the 80s, like the World of the Dark Crystal book with all extra explanations really shows how important she is. The series just follows the stuff that was written about her that was never included in the film.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Based on an interview with producers originally Netflix wanted to do a sequel but the director who came onboard convinced them that a prequel offers more interesting questions and premises.

Most likely if this series continues to succeed Netflix will do that sequel but with another director more interested in tackling that time period.

Would it be a full on series or a film?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not *exactly* a ret con. The movie hints at her importance, but the ancillary material that came out afterward in the 80s, like the World of the Dark Crystal book with all extra explanations really shows how important she is. The series just follows the stuff that was written about her that was never included in the film.

She's almost like Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi if you want to look at it from a different angle.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Quick question-

This takes place before the movie right? Would it be better to watch this series before the movie if you haven't seen the movie yet?

Have prequels ever worked in chronological viewing? Many of the easter eggs in the Star Wars prequels fall flat if you watch the films in numerical order.

But Dark Crystal the film seems brisk in comparison to the Netflix series, and a lot of the easter eggs from the show don't work if you're a new viewer and decide to watch everything in chronological order.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I love this universe so much. Just started it today and it feels like such a natural continuation of the original movie. The kid in me that thrived on cult classics is winning so much rn.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Finished up with the show last night, and rewatched the movie (after probably nearly 30 years) tonight. What an amazing experience, and it's great that we can still get genuinely artistic television. Nothing really compares to it. The whole thing is really magical, and I like how the show does its own thing yet stays true to the ideas planted in the film. Cheers to to Mark Hamill and Simon Pegg for killing it too.

Question:

Do the Skeksis and Mystics actually line up from the show and movie? In the movie there's a Mystic called "the hunter".... but he's a Skeksis on the show. Also, there's a "general" in the film - is this a different character from the show?

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up with the show last night, and rewatched the movie (after probably nearly 30 years) tonight. What an amazing experience, and it's great that we can still get genuinely artistic television. Nothing really compares to it. The whole thing is really magical, and I like how the show does its own thing yet stays true to the ideas planted in the film. Cheers to to Mark Hamill and Simon Pegg for killing it too.

Question:

Do the Skeksis and Mystics actually line up from the show and movie? In the movie there's a Mystic called "the hunter".... but he's a Skeksis on the show. Also, there's a "general" in the film - is this a different character from the show?

The mystic is the counterpart to some other skeksis- not the hunter from the show. It's confusing but the general in the show is a different character than the one in the movie. The skeksis that is the Garthim master and the film's General is mentioned as being away from the castle.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Finally finished episode 5.

This show is pure magic. I find myself with glazed eyes sometimes simply because of how damn beautiful the show is. It is such a joy to watch and I keep wondering if this show will ever fucking stop. It's just constantly amazing, minute to minute. It is so fully realized, so full of life.

It's truly inspiring.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
For all those who ask about the movie, i don't think you need to sse it nor should fear seing it. If anything, i'm pretty sure the series will finish the story differently than the movie did.

As for why i'm saying that :
First, there's the Aughra scenes where she talks about infinite possibilities and all. As many others have already pointed out.

But for me, it's mostly the vision Deet had when the tree gave her the power/curse to absorb the corruption. In this vision, we briefly see Rian, on top of the Crystal, banging said crystal with the shard that was in the sword. So basically, what Jen does in the movie to save the day.

So i think the series is more an alternate timeline than a prequel to the movie. And i think that would be cool.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
For all those who ask about the movie, i don't think you need to sse it nor should fear seing it. If anything, i'm pretty sure the series will finish the story differently than the movie did.

As for why i'm saying that :
First, there's the Aughra scenes where she talks about infinite possibilities and all. As many others have already pointed out.

But for me, it's mostly the vision Deet had when the tree gave her the power/curse to absorb the corruption. In this vision, we briefly see Rian, on top of the Crystal, banging said crystal with the shard that was in the sword. So basically, what Jen does in the movie to save the day.

So i think the series is more an alternate timeline than a prequel to the movie. And i think that would be cool.

it could go either way at this point. so far there's been a lot to point towards this being a direct prequel:

aughra's wardrobe change upon coming back from death shows her in her clothes from the movie. the part with rian and the shard could be a fake - it looks like the shard he has doesn't fit. who seems to most likely be brea or one of her sisters is shown running with a child through the woods - and this seems to be the same scene shown in kira's dreamfast with jen where a garthim takes kira's mother.

it could be faking out people who've seen the movie but i don't see the purpose behind that. my interpretation behind aughra's line was that 'many endings' refers to the characters in the show. "some good" - the uru and skeksis reuniting; the crystal being healed; the gelfling escaping extinction. "most bad" - rian with a crystal shard that doesn't work; brea being forced to abandon her daughter and later taken by garthim; deet being corrupted by the darkening; the gelfling mostly going extinct. this is a little more explicit when aughra tells maudra fara that the skeksis will be defeated, but not by the stonewood clan. it makes the future seem a lot more definite.[/quote]