• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
For all those who ask about the movie, i don't think you need to sse it nor should fear seing it. If anything, i'm pretty sure the series will finish the story differently than the movie did.

As for why i'm saying that :
First, there's the Aughra scenes where she talks about infinite possibilities and all. As many others have already pointed out.

But for me, it's mostly the vision Deet had when the tree gave her the power/curse to absorb the corruption. In this vision, we briefly see Rian, on top of the Crystal, banging said crystal with the shard that was in the sword. So basically, what Jen does in the movie to save the day.

So i think the series is more an alternate timeline than a prequel to the movie. And i think that would be cool.
Ummm
Rian and Jen look the same to me ^^; she could have been seeing Jen

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Finished it last night. Really enjoyed.

Wish the ending explained a bit more (or maybe I missed) as to why they left the skeksis run away at the end? They were surrounded, the spiders had joined in, but they just let them go without a fight.

They were literally committing genocide, finish them off

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond

Wish the ending explained a bit more (or maybe I missed) as to why they left the skeksis run away at the end? They were surrounded, the spiders had joined in, but they just let them go without a fight.

It's a good point. Some of the writing decisions were quizzical at the end. Here's my take on it: at the end of the day this is a child-skewed family show. As a result it will feature simplified morality - killing not in absolute self-defense being categorically immoral. Therefore, you aren't likely to ever see "good guy" characters kill any of the "bad guys", and good guys will always let bad guys go to face their own demises.

Probable season 2 spoiler in light of the movie:

And remember the Gelflings are all dead at the start of the film so if they actually killed them in the show the film wouldn't make sense. Also, season 2 isn't gonna be pretty dark I bet....

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
It's a good point. Some of the writing decisions were quizzical at the end. Here's my take on it: at the end of the day this is a child-skewed family show. As a result it will feature simplified morality - killing not in absolute self-defense being categorically immoral. Therefore, you aren't likely to ever see "good guy" characters kill any of the "bad guys", and good guys will always let bad guys go to face their own demises.

Probable season 2 spoiler in light of the movie:

And remember the Gelflings are all dead at the start of the film so if they actually killed them in the show the film wouldn't make sense. Also, season 2 isn't gonna be pretty dark I bet....

Yeah, get the reasons why they left them run away (family friendly, season 2, film etc etc), just wish they had done it in a slightly better way.
Other than that, show was pretty much spot on

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Because otherwise the movie wouldn't happen.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
i think season 2 can be empire strikes back but in reverse - the gelflings gather together, and make serious pushbacks against skeksis rule. even with seladon's turn, i think one strategy the skeksis can have is guaranteeing safety to certain clans who fight against the three (or more) rian/brea/deet lead. maybe one of the big battles is against just one or two garthim, and then the final episode reveals a full army - and everyone's basically screwed.

then season 3 could more seriously tie into the events of the movie - have the main characters fighting a weakening resistance but are essentially being hunted to extinction. and then put important details where they'll need to be for the movie to make sense. ideally, the final episode or two would be a retelling or remake of the movie, except with stronger writing and pacing.

beyond that, i don't think there's much you can do. starting this series, i thought it was placed a lot earlier than the movie (centuries instead of decades), so i figured there could be more creative freedom, but it looks like this links up much more closely to the film. instead of doing more seasons of age of resistance, it would be great to have a sequel to the film instead. do power of the dark crystal and give it its own limited run series or tv show. netflix did it with wet hot american summer so why not.

I suspect there'll only be one more season. The show is hella expensive and time consuming to produce. Plus it doesn't really need more than another season. If it's a three act play set up then the next season is the second act being perfectly tied up by the third act movie. Artistically that would be really compelling too given this situation in the film.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Rian said it himself, he's no killer. He didn't try to finish off the General after severely wounding him. The Collector being killed by the Darkening from Deet wasn't particularly directed, and the Hunter died from another source. They were defending themselves primarily.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Gelflings going from all out servitude to basically genocide that quickly would have been weird too. Should have been set up a bit better but I can believe they all gathered to resist and defend not to annihilate. Attacking a fleeing enemy is generally out of bounds.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect there'll only be one more season. The show is hella expensive and time consuming to produce. Plus it doesn't really need more than another season. If it's a three act play set up then the next season is the second act being perfectly tied up by the third act movie. Artistically that would be really compelling too given this situation in the film.

then, alternatively, a season 3 that is a retelling of the movie would be really nice of everyone involved.

in short: i want more. gimme gimme gimme.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Chamberlain's "HmmMMMmmmm" is one of the best signature things in film.

It was my favorite takeaway from the first film, but on episode 5 of this series it's now a really good thing in the midst of other really good things. I'm really enjoying how this has been handled and has kept the spirit of the original while improving on it so much.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have two episodes to go - I don't want this to end :(

Have we heard anything about this being a success? I don't necessarily need a second season, I don't want this style of craft vanishing again though. Same as Laika for stop motion, this team should prevail to hold up the flag of puppetry. There's so many opportinuties to do with this kind of style for a show or a movie.

Hopefully Netflix sees the potential and invests accordingly. This studio would be a crown jewel that's hard to replicate in craft and passion alike.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 7 and I'm enjoying this far more than I ever did the movie. Have to agree Skeksis are what make the show. I couldn't care less about any of the Gelflings. They're ugly and boring and I wouldn't mind them dying off ASAP so we can have a show about Skeksis ruling undisputed for 1,000 trine.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans

There were multiple moments where the Gelflings let Skeksis get away through inaction.

I really enjoyed the show, but it was my one main criticism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I have two episodes to go - I don't want this to end :(

Have we heard anything about this being a success? I don't necessarily need a second season, I don't want this style of craft vanishing again though. Same as Laika for stop motion, this team should prevail to hold up the flag of puppetry. There's so many opportinuties to do with this kind of style for a show or a movie.

Hopefully Netflix sees the potential and invests accordingly. This studio would be a crown jewel that's hard to replicate in craft and passion alike.
The only measure of success so far is reaching number 4 most watched in the UK. It was number 6 last time I checked though.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I just finished the season and I can honestly say it is a masterpiece. I can't stop thinking about it! Does anyone know if Netflix has greenlit more?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've watched through episode 8. It's the best thing Netflix have done by a mile. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts when I've finished it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This really is one of the best shows I've watched in a long time, 3 episodes left to watch now. The production value and visuals are incredible, Jim Henson's company have crafted something really magical here and the actors bringing the characters to life, have done a brilliant job too. This show deserves to win all the awards.

I grew up with films like the original Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and this really recaptures the magic of those movies perfectly, even improves on them in some ways, with deeper storytelling and more depth to characters. I NEED another few seasons of this in my life, hell they should do something like this with Labyrinth as well, the more fantasy shows with puppets the better.

ANuclearError

Nov 25, 2017
Hup may very well be the most attached I've been to a fictional character in a long time.

it's gonna be soul destroying when he sees what happened to Deet

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
There were multiple moments where the Gelflings let Skeksis get away through inaction.

I really enjoyed the show, but it was my one main criticism.

I'm not sure if it's a real plot hole. Gelflings (just about all creatures of Thra) are peace loving by nature. They are not killers.
The Mystics (who are not of Thra) are extremely passive. It's the reason why the Skeksis can get away with their schemes, their behaviour is incomprehensible to everyone else.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was debating with my wife whether to watch this with my kindergartener. After watching the first episode, definitely no.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Finished this earlier in the week. This is the most magical piece of entertainment I've experienced in years by far. I can't really think of anything that comes even half-way close. The story wasn't great-tier, but everything else was

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this. Perfect. Everything about this show is perfect. I want to show this to everyone I know.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished this. Perfect. Everything about this show is perfect. I want to show this to everyone I know.

Agreed. Absolute masterpiece.

It's a shame that the majority of people would rather waste their time watching mindless action films and reality tv. It makes it harder for real creative projects like this to get funded.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I really need a season 2 of this. One thing I find truly masterful about the writing is that the Skesis are clearly pure evil, yet they some how give them more depth than moustache twirlers.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I will say that the music was a big step down from the movie. It was fine but I feel like it didn't add anything to the show. The music in the movie was much more powerful and ethereal. I really hope they start moving in that direction if there is a season 2.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the music was a big step down from the movie. It was fine but I feel like it didn't add anything to the show. The music in the movie was much more powerful and ethereal. I really hope they start moving in that direction if there is a season 2.

I'm not sure I can disagree any more. I thought the soundtrack was magnificent. I've listened to it a bit outside the show and it's fantastic. The movie's was... alright.

I'm not sure the show should have a soundtrack like the movie or vise versa though. They're very different tones.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I can disagree any more. I thought the soundtrack was magnificent. I've listened to it a bit outside the show and it's fantastic. The movie's was... alright.

I'm not sure the show should have a soundtrack like the movie or vise versa though. They're very different tones.
I agree with you regarding the TV show's score, but it would have benefited the show to use the leitmotif from the film more often.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this show is one of the better things Netflix has put out. Only up to episode 6 but there have already been several twists and turns and the world continues to expand. Lore is a really cool character both the design and the idea behind it. I also wasn't expecting Seladon to go that hard for the Skeksis. Other than that Deet is awesome and I love her pretending to be some glowing monster to scare those guards early on.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a real plot hole. Gelflings (just about all creatures of Thra) are peace loving by nature. They are not killers.
The Mystics (who are not of Thra) are extremely passive. It's the reason why the Skeksis can get away with their schemes, their behaviour is incomprehensible to everyone else.

This answers one of my minor issues.

Finished it last night.

I was like.. why are they letting them run away, and celebrating this if it was to overtake them and end their rule? Why celebrate a weapon that is the dual glaive when they are about peace and not about killing as Rian stated in the last battle.

Other then that, I really loved it. And this being from someone with little to no nostalgia of the original movie.

Best line/moment?

"Hup, let's look for firewood"...

Hup looks around very confused.. "uhhhh".

Bahahahahaha.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Chamberlain's 'Hmmmmmmmmmmm' gives me life honestly.
My sister is watching it right now, in the living room, and I can listen to him and I can't help to chuckle every time.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I love Deet so much. ;_;

she is my role model for being a more cheerful person

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I did not expect this show to be this dark and gruesome. It says 7+ but I feel that's still too young.
Some scenes are downright scary and unsettling.