• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Eagerly awaiting this game. I love the Dark Crystal, and anything that expands the universe is great.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
To be honest, this is not what I (personally) would want from a Dark Crystal game. I mean when I think of the movie the last genre of games I think that it'd be a good fit for is a turn based tactical strategy game.

I'd have been much more interested if it was an adventure or rpg style game that was more focused on the narrative and characters/dialogue with an actual storyline and adventure to go on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, this is not what I (personally) would want from a Dark Crystal game. I mean when I think of the movie the last genre of games I think that it'd be a good fit for is a turn based tactical strategy game.

I'd have been much more interested if it was an adventure or rpg style game that was more focused on the narrative and characters/dialogue with an actual storyline and adventure to go on.
i think an RPG, even a top-down one would have been great. my guess is the genre choice came as a result of the budget. it's a genre where you can get away with a lot when it comes to details and animation for the characters.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I like sRPGs, I like Dark Crystal, I'm super excited for the new show... This sounds like a winning combination for me. For some reason the first footage didn't grab me but I thought this map looked fantastic so maybe I need to go check it out again!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

This.

Oneiroi17

Jan 11, 2018
UK

Gotta agree with this. The things I remember mostly about the movie were gorgeous sets and puppets (obviously), but also characterisation, rich lore, a fantasy storyline driven by people and their personal choices...not things that immediately lend themselves to this style of game. I hope it works out for them though - if it's successful, it might lead to a game more along rpg-adventure lines.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Looks surprisingly decent. The maps look a bit on the small side, I hope that doesn't affect how strategically you can play.

Oct 26, 2017

I think that type of game would have probably required a much larger budget than Netflix were willing to invest. This is still a very niche property.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Visuals look amazing for SRPG, but the artstyle is killing my interest.

The characters lack... character. They all look like some random NPC with different colors, not distinguished at all.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I am so perplexed by the direction for this, and I worry that Netflix is overinvesting in a very niche property. I love Dark Crystal to pieces but I would have much preferred a small scale adventure game/platformer which fits with the vibe of the original movie if they wanted to invest in a game.

I think Dark Crystal is not going to make anywhere near as big of a splash as they think because Dark Crystal is WEIRD. It never really caught the mainstream market in its original release, and I don't get why Netflix thinks it will now.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I am so perplexed by the direction for this, and I worry that Netflix is overinvesting in a very niche property. I love Dark Crystal to pieces but I would have much preferred a small scale adventure game/platformer which fits with the vibe of the original movie if they wanted to invest in a game.

I think Dark Crystal is not going to make anywhere near as big of a splash as they think because Dark Crystal is WEIRD. It never really caught the mainstream market in its original release, and I don't get why Netflix thinks it will now.
Because it's considered a cult classic and 80s are big now(Stranger Things).

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
is there going to be an OT for the show?

i'm hoping it releases at midnight EST but 3 AM seems more likely.