• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther has heart and character as well, easily equal to that of Spider-Man 2. I'd say that's also the reason Wonder Woman was successful. Iron Man had it too. Hell, the heart and character of Iron Man is why the MCU became a thing at all.

I knew I left "heart and character" a bit too open. Spider-man is more than just characters that often quip off each other. It's in the setting and in the direction. Marvel wants the appearance to be taken seriously without being serious. Spider-man series knew itself was popcorn schlock and delivers on all levels. From the Evil Dead hospital scene where Doc Ock's arms chase doctors to the bank scene where Peter and Aunt May is trying to get a free toaster then it whip pans to the Doc Ock stealing from its giant vault. There is an overt silliness to the movie. From Mary Jane waiting on Parker to ask her out to her being the fiancee to an astronaut a week later. The movie is absurd and does it well. It's why I don't think Jay Jonah Jameson would work as effective if he was part of the MCU because JJJ is the embodiment of the movie's style. An old 40's personality in the modern world.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though he's changed his opinion a billion times, I would say Kevin Smith's quote "TDK is the Godfather of CBM" is dead on the nose. There hasn't been one before or after of such high quality. That's not saying everything else is bad. I have a soft spot for Batman 89 and even the cheesy Punisher. But it's in a league of its own. SM2 just a small notch down, both way above everything else.

My personal favorite thing about the movie is the lack of CGI fest.

Deleted member 13037

It's been playing on cable lately and I've enjoyed it but +1 to putting Spidy 2 and Black Panther over it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I knew I left "heart and character" a bit too open. Spider-man is more than just characters that often quip off each other. It's in the setting and in the direction. Marvel wants the appearance to be taken seriously without being serious.

Yes, I understood what you meant.

Black Panther is also "more than just characters that often quip off each other." And how in the world can you argue that part of Black Panther's heart and character isn't in the setting? That's a huge reason the movie is so successful.

This idea that Spider-Man 2 accomplished something no other superhero film has since is pure rose-tinted nostalgia.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i like plenty of movies better but TDK was my absolute best theater experience

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
i like plenty of movies better but TDK was my absolute best theater experience

It's definitely up there for me. Amazing time at the theater. The Avengers might be my best ever though. The huge amount of applause at the end was the longest I've ever been part of. And the pops during moments like Hulk smashing Loki were so great.

TDK had a similar moment when you find out that Gordon is alive. So good.

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I understood what you meant.

Black Panther is also "more than just characters that often quip off each other." And how in the world can you argue that part of Black Panther's heart and character isn't in the setting? That's a huge reason the movie is so successful.

This idea that Spider-Man 2 accomplished something no other superhero film has since is pure rose-tinted nostalgia.

Nah, I saw it recently. I don't mean setting in just the normal sense. I mean how the setting is influenced by the story. When Spiderman vanishes in act two of the story, the setting- the city- is influenced by his absence.

When killmonger takes the throne, there is a very minimal change to the setting. Not much changes. Which I know is because it is an MCU film so they cannot do the logical time skip necessary to show change.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Still in my Top 3 CBMs of all time.

Dark Knight transcends CBMs to being a great crime action movie.

So good

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Knight may not be the greatest movie of all time but to say it has pacing issues... so elite.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
it's good but it's no
51B0H48A4VL.jpg

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's not just some superhero shit. The acting, action, cinematography, soundtrack is all a masterwork. I don't even remember how many times I watched BluRay. But I watched 14 times in the theater, and they were all unforgettable. And of course, Heath Ledger is the man who brought this film to this ultra quality level. Rest in Peace.

4fAH.gif

I remember watching the first trailers, and when this scenes come up in one of them, I was taken aback on how "Joker"-ish this scene and Ledger looked. It looked totally in-character with the character; someone having fun creating chaos on the streets. It was what it actually convinced me to go to see the movie (I liked Begins, but wasn't a fan). And god it was a good movie.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I will drop whatever I'm doing to watch this when it's on TV. I saw this in theatres 4 times with separate people. Absolutely love it still.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Sadly in 10 years time this was the last good DC movie too besides Wonder Woman. Dark Knight Rises was like the beginning of the end.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Cineworld Unlimited pass when it came out and must have seen it three or four times at the cinema which I'd never done before or since. The only part where it dips is the at the start of the party but it gets going again soon enough and is immensely quotable probably because we weren't drowning in comic book moves like we are now.

Fantastic soundtrack as well it's a shame TDKR was was the most disappointing move sequel since The Matrix Reloaded.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Honestly, it hasn't aged that well. The Joker is well played but it's pretty much Nolan's very silly take on a stereotypical anarchist. Suits the underlying source material though. Batman has always been a bit iffy with the political themes and even more so with Nolan at the helm.

And Jesus Christ, someone finally give Nolan some lessons on action. EDIT: hand to hand combat that is ... always seemed strange to me that he didn't brush up on it because it's such a big part of his trilogy

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Also, I remember the viral stuff and being in a damn AOL chat room on AIM with other people figuring out stuff and seeing pictures and other stuff. So damn cool.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cut above the rest of the genre (aside from Spider-Man 2) by a decent margin. I think I prefer Begins because of the first act, but The Dark Knight is a classic.

Oct 26, 2017
Man, Joker is really propped up by Heath Ledger's amazing performance.

Joker did jack shit throughout the movie. He robbed a bank, killed Batman's girlfriend, blew up a hospital with no one in it, put some people on two boats for a nice cruise, and turned Harvey Dent evil to prove a point that eventually didn't matter since no one knew about it. And if you want to include Dark Knight Rises lore, his actions stopped all crime in Gotham for 8 years. He basically scared a city for a couple of days and then everyone forgot about it and lived happily for several years.

GG Joker, you are responsible for the most peaceful time in Gotham's history.

Bane is better and actually did shit.

Joker killed a police commissioner and judge. He successfully got rid of any real competition in organized crime, disrupting all established operations and gangs. He blew up a police station. He got the citizens of Gotham to turn into hired assassins all on the threat of a public bombing which he carried out. He managed to corrupt arguably the brightest hope for Gotham into a goddamn killer.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it hasn't aged that well. The Joker is well played but it's pretty much Nolan's very silly take on a stereotypical anarchist. Suits the underlying source material though. Batman has always been a bit iffy with the political themes and even more so with Nolan at the helm.

And Jesus Christ, someone finally give Nolan some lessons on action. EDIT: hand to hand combat that is ... always seemed strange to me that he didn't brush up on it because it's such a big part of his trilogy
I always thought the Batmobile chase in Begins is pretty well done, the chase in TDK is afriggin' mess from an editing perspective though.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
One of the best midnight showings I ever attended. Went with then girlfriend at the time and she wore her Batman cape and got a lot of compliments. Only other film that had more excitement and longer lines was the force awakens back in 2015.

It's still my favorite comic book movie of all time.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and Black Panther are my favorite comic book movies ever. Keef Ledger killed his role though, just one of the best performances I've seen on film period.

I haven't seen TDK in probably 7 years or so. What age can a kid watch it? My son is interested in Batman, I forgot how graphic this was.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still remember when this came out. Nearly every scene is quotable or memorable. The audience reaction was nuts back then.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Remember seeing this in a pretty huge cinema screen in Manchester with a girlfriend I met at uni at the time (she was from there) and it was probably the greatest movie going experience I've had. Heath Ledger of course steals the show but the film has tension like little else. The entire scene trying to find and save Harvey and Rachael was just executed to perfection. The Hans Zimmer score incredible.

The opening was fucking marvellous too.

The only negative point probably was the ending feeling like a slight whimper but nah.. amazing film. That first time I won't forget.

Oct 28, 2017
Joker was great, but everything else felt like Batman-lite. Batman sanitized fir the masses because the writers were embarrassed by the characters origins as a comic book character. Also see XMen 1.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible film, it's easily the best superhero film by a considerable margin. Like many others, it's one of the greatest theater experiences I've ever had.
the 20 minute or so stretch from the chase scene with the Joker straight through to Rachel's death is top tier suspense for the genre as well.

You could hear a pin drop in my theater when Rachel died. The love interest dying in the middle of a superhero film never happened before.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Heath Ledger gives an all timer of a performance. That scene of him putting his head out the car window will be played during Oscar montages forever.
At my screening I remember the audible reaction the crowd had when the bat pod flips up and off the wall. People were so hyped.
I'm a big fan of Begins as well and depending on my mood I may rank it ahead of TDK.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
Still my favorite comic book movie. Begins ended with a great setup for the Joker and this movie didn't disappoint at all. Recently picked up the trilogy on 4K blu ray and just rewatched this the other day. Still holds up wonderfully in my opinion. A shame that Rises was easily the worst of the three, still I think it's probably the best super hero trilogy. The MCU Captain America films being a close second for me.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Saw the midnight show opening night and was in complete awe the entire time. About a month later I visited my cousin in NYC and we decided to go see it in IMAX and I was completely blown away the second time. This movie was an absolute classic the moment I saw it.

Did anybody else participate in the Comic-Con ARG for this movie the summer before it came out? The people online had to communicate the clues and info to the people at Comic-Con and there were Joker balloons being let off around San Diego and other crazy shit. I think the trailer was the reward for the game.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Rewatched it a few nights ago for a 10 year retrospective piece, have had conflicting opinions on TDK for years. Saw it in the theater, loved it, watched it at home, liked it, as time went on I was like "Yeah, maybe it's overrated."

Rewatching it in 4K was like... transcendent. I went in with a clear mind and turned off my phone to just watch the movie. It's so good, so, so, good. Everything has set-up, payoff, there's themes that are big and small, so much complexity and subtlety, so much brilliance. Shocked I doubted this movie at any point. I was 7 when I saw it in the theater and despite loving it a lot then, it didn't have the same impact as it did on me today.

The message of hope is just beautiful. I was moved to tears during the ending which is the first time that has happened with this movie despite seeing it so many times. Absolute masterclass in writing and execution from Nolan.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rewatched it yesterday, goddamn does it hold up well. This has always been my favourite period in the comics, the time between when the gangs have a hold over Gotham and the freaks start showing up. It's such a masterful take on that period in the movie, I love the cold open with Batman stopping Scarecrow, it feels just like the opening to a Batman comic story starting in media res. Ledger's performance is just so good. But to be honest everyone is bringing their A game here, Bale plays plays committed but struggling very well and I really empathize with how desperate things go for him, same goes for Eckhart's take on Dent being so entrusting with the law and the partnership with Gordon and Batman that you just feel deeply sad for how things turn out for him. And Oldman, Oldman is so underrated in this movie.

Also the soundtrack, the usage of the Batman Begins track Molossus as the "Batman" theme is great. The first glimpse of the bat signal we hear "I'm Not a Hero" which has the heroic and but melancholic vibe to it, it's like Batman has been at it for a while. My favourite track though is probably "Like a Dog Chasing Cars".

People talk big about Affleck being the most Batman-y Batman with the warehouse scene, but Bruce taking out the entire swat team, Joker's goons and saving all of the hostages without a single death is the most Batman-y thing that's ever happened on film imo.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched it yesterday, goddamn does it hold up well. This has always been my favourite period in the comics, the time between when the gangs have a hold over Gotham and the freaks start showing up. It's such a masterful take on that period in the movie, I love the cold open with Batman stopping Scarecrow, it feels just like the opening to a Batman comic story starting in media res. Ledger's performance is just so good. But to be honest everyone is bringing their A game here, Bale plays plays committed but struggling very well and I really empathize with how desperate things go for him, same goes for Eckhart's take on Dent being so entrusting with the law and the partnership with Gordon and Batman that you just feel deeply sad for how things turn out for him. And Oldman, Oldman is so underrated in this movie.

Also the soundtrack, the usage of the Batman Begins track Molossus as the "Batman" theme is great. The first glimpse of the bat signal we hear "I'm Not a Hero" which has the heroic and but melancholic vibe to it, it's like Batman has been at it for a while. My favourite track though is probably "Like a Dog Chasing Cars".

People talk big about Affleck being the most Batman-y Batman with the warehouse scene, but Bruce taking out the entire swat team and saving all of the hostage without a single death is the most Batman-y thing that's ever happened on film imo.

Gary Oldman is the best part of the trilogy, and the glue that holds it all together. I despise TDKR, but the scene where Bruce reveals to him who he is one of my favorite scenes in a comic book film. It's so simple, but so good.

The SWAT scene is weirdly good, and def more Batman in character than the warehouse scene where he's straight mercing people, but the warehouse is def a better Batman ACTION scene, while losing a bit of who Batman is as a character.

Also for the people with 4K HDR TVs, buy this movie in 4K. The Hong Kong scene is fucking incredible with HDR.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The boat scene always felt a bit forced to me, as much as I love the film. I don't believe people are that "good" and would hesitate to push the button, and having the smug inmate throw the trigger out the window still makes me laugh out loud at how ham-fisted it is.

It would've been cool if someone pressed the button and Joker had the bombs rigged to their own boats, though.

Also Nolan for some reason writes most of the cop characters in these movies as total goofs. Batman Begins had "he's comin right up on yer butt!" and TDK has shit like "Have a nice trip, cya next fall, "Things are worse than ever" and "I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!" (you did) and "Is that a bazooka!?"

Also the "I suggest you buy American" line is proper cringe.

And I really hate the batpod flip off the wall. The CGI just looks kinda off and ends an otherwise awesome sequence on a really silly visual.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also the "I suggest you buy American" line is proper cringe.
It is, but it's setting up a standard of Dent being a goody-two-shoes American Boy Scout, which is later subverted. People who read the film tend to ignore that Dent was always a shitty dude - he had no problem torturing that mentally ill inmate even before he got acid on his face. The Two-Face transformation just makes his hypocrisy more literal.