• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Some screens from the first hour or so, man, imagine tech like this in the late Team Silent's hands.

3xik1a.png

7pfj5b.png

2a6k0e.png

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah but I can't imagine them wanting to continue if the interest isn't there. I mean they can probably get a niche following but if all their titles get mixed reviews like this, that's a sign that their idea isn't as good as they thought, and they might want to try something else. 8 games is kind of an insane commitment. Even if that was planned, I'm surprised they would publicly announce it.

You keep equating reviews to sales. Mixed reviews doesn't mean lack of interest, if games sell they sell regardless of reviews. And we don't know what they hope and expected.

On the first appearance of the curator, he clearly takes the second book off a shelf with 4 similar looking books on it. The first book has the icon of a boot (Man of Medan), the second one the icon of an effigy (this game), and then 2 other books.

So I believe there will be 4 games.

I noticed that, too, and on Bandai's site they are selling a special edition that has a steelbook that has four slots so four is a good bet, unless they're going to try and do a season thing where these four are 'season 1' or something to that nature

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Oh I'm sure for the next gen they will blow this out of the water, but imagine if PT had been realized into the full Silent Hills game and released within the PS4/XBO gen using tech like this.

Shit would have been wild.

A Fox Engine Silent Hills would have been a legitimate looker, no doubt.
Hell, even for a small sample in 2014 PT looked ridiculous.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
While it was not anywhere near Until Dawn, I liked Man of Medan for what it was.
I don't know why they don't simply make another game like UD, it was absolutely perfect. The forced co-op is very unnecessary and it's probably why the writing is a lot worse in these games. It's hard to write for two different perspective at the same time.
I mean, I haven't played Little Hope yet but it doesn't seem great.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm enjoying this a lot more than Man of Medan, but it's still far from Until Dawn. I'm playing on PC and there have been a number of times where I've been blown away by the look of this thing - would love to know their budget for these games.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm really digging it so far. Wow the faces, animation and motion performances are fantastic. It really feels like a horror movie but that you get to control different characters throughout.

Also I like the story. I'm really intrigued about the witch stuff going on and how it relates to our main characters.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Played through this last night with two other people in Movie Night mode.

Man what a step up from Man of Medan. The characters, performances, visuals and story are all a lot better.

We enjoyed it through to the end. I'm also far more curious about the alternative choices in this than I was with MoM.

House of Ash looks real interesting too, major The Descent vibes.

Also, on a side note, the Curator and the intermission between acts are awesome.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few hours into this and the script is fucking nonsense. Like not just bad/uninteresting, these characters say and do shit that makes ZERO sense.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I just finished Man of Medan and after a slow start,the second part was great...even though I hate QTE and I think they could of made them better(or easier lol),3 of the cast died because of me failing them but I know that is what the game is about so it is what it is...waiting on this one for now but will eventually buy it next gen...if they enhance it,it should look awesome,Medan looked great on the 1X with good HDR.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Bought it, but i decided to wait for Series X just in case there are fps problems.
Man of Medan was a mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I'll likely still enjoy it - I just wish there were more games in this style. It is a shame Until Dawn seems to be insurmountable for them to kick on from in terms of quality and novelty. Until Dawn was genuinely one of my favourite experiences of this gen.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
While it was not anywhere near Until Dawn, I liked Man of Medan for what it was.
I don't know why they don't simply make another game like UD, it was absolutely perfect. The forced co-op is very unnecessary and it's probably why the writing is a lot worse in these games. It's hard to write for two different perspective at the same time.
I mean, I haven't played Little Hope yet but it doesn't seem great.

There's no forced co-op in either games?

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing it.

I had big expextations for this anthology, I loved Man of Medan but I'm not liking this second episode. It's not scaring, the characters are boring with lines and lines of useless choices in the dialogues, and there's very little to explore. The boat in Man of Medan at least was great, full of legit scares and with a great atmosphere.

Can't wait to finish the game to resell it. The third game looks like will be more interesting, but now I'm a bit pessimistic about the future of this anthology.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Also,Man of Medan was short,like I mean really short,I think I finished it in 5 hours max...is this one a little longer...?
To be fair, being short shouldn't have been an issue if the story was well written, given the replayability nature of these types of games. I rather play a 5-hours game 10 times and have different endings then playing one 50-hours game.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ah okay,thanks guys,thought so but I dont feel like replaying games like this because I may get the same ending if I fail the QTE again lol...you know,give me different ending or paths not necessarily associated with failing them...hate to say this but will probably wait for it to come on GP then.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Ah okay,thanks guys,thought so but I dont feel like replaying games like this because I may get the same ending if I fail the QTE again lol...you know,give me different ending or paths not necessarily associated with failing them...hate to say this but will probably wait for it to come on GP then.

You can set the QTEs to be easy or like just a single button press I think

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You can set the QTEs to be easy or like just a single button press I think

Yes, there are multiple accessibility options.

- You can make all QTEs be the same button (so all QTEs are X instead of X Y A etc)
- You can stop QTE timers. So a decision isn't made automatically in timing based QTEs.
- You can make all 'rapid press' QTEs into a 'hold button' QTE which is always appreciated.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The main reason why Until Dawn was the better game so far was because of its story and it was not even written by Supermassive.

www.eurogamer.net

Until Dawn hires award-winning Hollywood talent to write it

Sony's Move exclusive teen horror parody Until Dawn is being penned by a couple of Hollywood horror gurus.Larry Fessend…

Neither was Man of Medan. Same writers as Until Dawn (and The Inpatient, Hidden Agenda). Little Hope is a different writer though.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this with my friend. It... sucked. Loved man of Medan and until dawn, but this one was just plain bad. Horrible writing, horrible scenario design. Actually left me feeling hollow and not at all excited for the next episode.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it more than Man of Medan but not by much.

I thought the ending was garbage and in retrospect it really felt padded out. It also, as has been mentioned a lot, really wasn't that scary. I came to like the cast by the end, which is more than I can say for Man of Medan. And I liked how it kept moving too, even though some locations just felt the same.

I managed to keep everyone alive on my first playthrough and I might do an all-deaths run some time in the future, but this one was a bummer in the end. Ending left me utterly deflated and not in a good, sucker punch to the gut twist kinda way but a "Is that it?" way.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Can you not Share Play this on PS4? My sister can't connect when the game is started but can if the game isn't. Wanted to do Movie Night online.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm playing it right now and it's tons of fun if you're okay with Supermassive's previous games. Great graphics and presentation, intriguing mystery and premise, good acting.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better than Man of Medan at least (which isn't saying a lot, because MoM was trash), but not nearly as good as the great Until Dawn.
Overall mediocre.
Welp... gonna buy this for a few bucks a few months later.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018
Playing this right now really annoyed. Movie Night mode is broken as fuck, you select a character to play but it's not balanced well and your characters action sequences are given to other players to do and This failure can cause your character to die.

Shoddy frustrating design, don't know if the online mode works differently.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm watching the Easy Allies playthrough from last night and am super tempted to stop now and buy the game. It's clearly got some jank, at least in terms of snapping co-op playthroughs together, but I really like what I'm seeing.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm a little surprised at the negative impressions. I just finished the game and really enjoyed it. So far I would say:

Until Dawn > Little Hope > Man of Medan

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Does this game have collectibles where you are required to have the curators cut to get them from the other point of view, or to have a 2nd person? That was very annoying in man of medan

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my partner loved Until Dawn and we quite enjoyed Man of Medan, but this game is hot garbage. The writing is truly horrendous, the characters universally awful, and the acting doesn't, or cannot, lift it. Just truly dreadful.

Thank god for Steam refunds.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't tell if people overrate Until Dawn or underrate these but I enjoy both of the Dark Pictures games. This was fun and fine. Doesn't overstay its welcome (My playthrough was about 5 hours 15 mins but I didn't spend more than 4 or 5 mins looking for collectables). If you like watching mid-tier horror movies then you will enjoy these games.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
About two hours in and I'm really enjoying Little Hope so far. It served as perfect stay-at-home, socially distanced Halloween fun for me and I'm surprised by the lukewarm reviews.

Little Hope feels like Silent Hill meets The VVitch with a little Blair Witch Project thrown in the mix. It's a very atmospheric game and apart from some rough fire effects early on, the game looks great on PS4 Pro. Until Dawn was easily in my Top 10 this gen. Man of Medan wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to its predecessor for me. The setting in Little Hope might be more familiar from other horror games but I vastly prefer this deserted town and its foreboding mood over the cramped, samey backdrops of Man of Medan. The writing is tropey but (imo) perfectly fine by horror movie standards and I'm already more invested in the story than I was at any point in Man of Medan. Hope it keeps up till the end.

These yearly horror anthology releases with shorter, self-contained stories really work for me and I hope they get to keep doing them for a while.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it a little bit ago. I managed to save everyone and apparently got the good ending. I liked it. /shrug

Much moreso than Man of Medan which I thought was ok. It does take a bit really get going and for the characters to click but once they reach the
Bridge/Middle School
... switch, I was invested. I finished it in a single sitting.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Man, I can't tell if people overrate Until Dawn or underrate these but I enjoy both of the Dark Pictures games. This was fun and fine. Doesn't overstay its welcome (My playthrough was about 5 hours 15 mins but I didn't spend more than 4 or 5 mins looking for collectables). If you like watching mid-tier horror movies then you will enjoy these games.
I agree. Until Dawn had my favorite setting, my favorite group of characters and my favorite monsters/threats out of all 3 games. It's the clear winner for me, but Medan and Little Hope were both great fun too.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I find the variety of reactions interesting even puzzling. I kinda like Mom, not great but the people I play it with like it.

Just wondering if this is worth 20 bucks.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the shortish length of this game, I'm struggling to finish it.

There's something about it which is so incredibly boring. The characters are really unlikeable and bland, the QTE's are patronisingly easy which makes the set pieces a bit flat cos there's no tension there. At this point I'm quite sick of walking down a foggy road, exploring empty building, foggy road, empty building, foggy road etc

I would say I enjoyed Medan more, but at the time I think I overlooked its flaws because I was so excited to have another game from that team in this genre, but now they've released two pretty poor games in a row, it's hard to forgive them.

I'm going back to playing Pikmin 3.

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Me and my SO are having a blast. Apart from a corrupted save file after 1 hour of playtime. We are looking forward to start act 2 tonight. I hope they keep doing it and we are looking forward to every entry!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I can't really put myself in the mindset of enjoying this on a similar level to enjoying some dumb b-grade trashy horror movie, especially when this is a longer experience. There's obviously a difference between an 80-minute shlocker and a 4-to-5-hour experience.