• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Note: When I say impactful, I mean positively and along the lines of what I mention in the next sentence.

There are always games that go down in history: Metal Gear Solid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario Galaxy. Whether it comes from their innovation, or just how fun they were, these games are remembered by many. So with this decade drawing to a close, what games do you all think will fall into the likes of what I mentioned?

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
- Mass Effect 2
- Skyrim
- The Last of Us
- The Witcher III
- Overwatch
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- God of War
- Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Portal 2 comes to mind.

The Last of Us, MGSV, RDR2, GTA V won't be forgotten, either.

Really just pull the top 2-3 games that get a lot of GOTYs every year like The Witcher 3.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think PUBG and Minecraft are the biggest ones.

Also, "fondly remembered" and impactful are completely different things so I think OP's title is wrong. Super Mario Galaxy is a great game, it made next to zero impact to the industry.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Indie games are the real winners this decade.

My brother, who hasn't played a video game in decades, told me that he thought the industry would see some kind of Renaissance. Games would go back to their roots, focusing on gameplay and simple graphics. Dev teams would be made up of just a few people at most. Projects would be inspired purely by passion and creativity would spawn from limitation.

Funny, how he ended up being right.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The Witcher 3
Hearthstone
Minecraft
Fortnite
Dota 2
PUBG

Most of these games will continue to be extremely popular and still played in the next decade. Witcher 3 is the GOAT.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I'll only list 5 but this list can be a lot longer:

GTA 5
The Legend of Zelda BOTW
Persona 5
The Witcher 3
Skyrim

Edit: I think Hollow Knight should be there too.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked to learn that Portal 2 and Dark Souls came out this decade.

Dark Souls, Minecraft, and PUBG are the ones.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
*types in "impactful games in 2010s to see list of titles*

Well that's a mixed bag, but I can at least agree on one game I saw there: Titanfall.

I think it is fair to say that both Titanfall games did wonders for shooter games due to the high speed action of both pilots and titans and how deep the fights can get rather than just the run of the mill we've seen out of games like Battlefield and CoD. We also had Minecraft too where (even though it came out 2009) has grown considerably since then.

The only two types of games I can say would be the Souls games at BR games. Souls games being how difficult they can be whole but rewarding when you mastered the game's mechanics. As for BR games, I refuse to say Fortnite. I will only refer to the genre itself considering how it brought out a style of gameplay that seems to get so many people invested (something to which I don't really play myself since I don't care much for BR games).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick only five...

Fortnite
Minecraft
GTA 5
Dark Souls
Breath of the Wild

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Red Dead 1 + 2
GTAV
TLOU 1 + maybe 2
Dark Souls
Destiny 1 (due to its pioneering of genre)
Witcher 3
PUBG
Fortnite
Minecraft

I guess Zelda but honestly I don't see anyone giving too many fucks about it outside of this forum nowadays.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Fortnite
  • Minecraft
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Dark Souls
These will likely be the 5 games that'll define this decade.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 will be fondly remembered for decades to come.

But will it? The mission design was archaic on release. Totally linear shooting gallery storywise.. did nothing new really besides looking amazing

Imo these games will be classics that affect many future titles

Zelda Botw for open world/freedom
Dark Souls for arpg
The Witcher 3 for storybased games
Minecraft for well crafting/creating
Fortnite for multiplayer pvp (events etc)

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Skyrim
- Fortnite
- PUBG
- Breath of the Wild
- Minecraft
- Hearthstone

, just to name a few.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
In terms of impact, Dark Souls is definitely up there. Its influence on game design trends is still widely felt, and mostly for the better.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Breath of the Wild
Fortnite
Overwatch
Gone Home
The Last of Us
Hearthstone
Journey
Nier: Automata

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Although Minecraft was technically out in 2009, it didn't gain its true momentum until it entered its "development" build.

So I would say something along the lines of:

Minecraft
Fortnite
The Last of Us
Dark Souls

I mean both Minecraft and Fortnite are just phenomenons that you can't argue with. They're the type of games that take the gaming culture and let it seap into other subcultures. The Last of Us felt like the first cinematic approach that wasn't awkward or stiff. Uncharted was a good start, but whilst presentation was in top, the dramatic moments didn't hit home for me. It did in the case of The Last of Us. And what can be said for Dark Souls... "Souls" this and "Souls" that. I'm so bad at those games, but man... Every core-gamer seems to have a special relationship to it, and I do understand why.

Oct 27, 2017
The Souls games certainly had a large influence on design, but for impact on a mass media scale I think you'd have to look at multiplayer. LoL, Fortnite, and Overwatch are definitive for their subgenres on that mass scale and are likely the ones that younger people will look back on in later years. I would bet they have a generational effect. Something in the way that, around 25, my friends and I would talk about Quake, Unreal Tournament, Halo, SF, and the first Smash.

nadbmal

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Definitely: Minecraft, Fortnite (sorry PUBG), Dark Souls, Breath of the Wild, The Last of Us
Probably: CSGO, Skyrim, Destiny, The Witcher 3, GTA 5
Maybe: Tetris 99, Doom (2016), Overwatch, Diablo 3, RDR 2,

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Surprised no one's said The Walking Dead yet.
Tell tale became incredibly popular and basically single handedly brought about a resurgence to Lisenced games.
The success also saw a decent rise in the profile of episodic gaming in general.
It appears to be on its way out, but shouldn't be discounted when talking about it the 2010s

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Journey has to be in there.

Another personal pick for me would be The Last Guardian

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
From the FAQ:

No list threads: A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. These threads tend not to generate much if any actual discussion or member interaction, and therefore are usually closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.