• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Disney CEO Reveals Battles With Marvel Entertainment's Ike Perlmutter To Make BLACK PANTHER And CAPTAIN MARVEL

There was a time when Marvel Studios came under the purview of Marvel Entertainment and its controversial CEO Isaac Perlmutter. That changed when Disney CEO Bob Iger made the decision (partly at the behest of Kevin Feige) to make the divisions two separate entities and the Marvel Cinematic Universe is very different as a result. Now, more details on that split have been revealed.

According to Iger in his new book - The Ride of A Lifetime - that decision came after Marvel Entertainment put forward some pretty shocking concerns about movies with diverse characters.

Iger reveals that Kevin Feige was on board with Black Panther from the start but an unnamed Marvel executive in New York said they were reluctant to let it happen because movies led by black actors often underperformed at the international box office. "I've been in the business long enough to have heard every old argument in the book, and I've learned that old arguments are just that: old, and out of step with where the world is and where it should be," Iger writes.

"We had a chance to make a great movie and to showcase an underrepresented segment of America, and those goals were not mutually exclusive. I called Ike and told him to tell his team to stop putting up roadblocks and ordered that we put both Black Panther and Captain Marvel into production."

Believe it or not, it's also revealed that Feige became so exasperated during the build up to Captain America: Civil War that he considered leaving Marvel Studios altogether.

Woooow, fuck Perlmutter. Dude could have nearly ruined the MCU with his insipid bullshit. Glad him and his cohorts are eating crow after the tremendous success of Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
As if there was any doubt. Dude still doing damage in regards to the relationship between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios to this day.

Remember when Agents Of SHIELD writers thought Thanos threat will be dealt similar to how Ultron or Loki was? If Perlmutter is still in charge for Infinity War, that's totally something that would happen.

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, fuck that cunt.

He is the main reason for a weak ass villain in Iron Man 3.

Wikipedia said:
Rebecca Hall confirmed that her character's role was greatly reduced in the final film, saying, "I signed on to do something that was a substantial role. She wasn't entirely the villain—there have been several phases of this—but I signed on to do something very different to what I ended up doing.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Have you ever hated a movie so much, that you wanted to call the studio boss and make a complain about it?

That's exactly what Steve Jobs did.

ROFL

He also thought you could cure cancer with peach pits, so maybe we shouldn't take his opinion as gospel. I just watched IM 2, and I still like it. I don't know how anyone could think it as being worse than IM 3

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
He also thought you could cure cancer with peach pits, so maybe we shouldn't take his opinion as gospel. I just watched IM 2, and I still like it. I don't know how anyone could think it as being worse than IM 3

I agree. Iron Man 2 has improved retroactively through all of its MCU connections that made it frustrating at the time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it was kind of fun to go back and watch Black Widow's first appearance. The quasi peter parker cameo, Senator Stone, Howard Stark.

Exactly. Even the movie's main plot made more sense. I remember being very annoyed at what I found to be an extreme case of plot convenience when it was revealed that Howard Stark had left Tony the plan to synthesize a new element seemingly just to solve the movie's main obstacle. But later we find out that Howard Stark was one of the founders of Shield and in possession of the Tesseract, a piece of actual alien technology, which then makes Howard having knowledge of new elements at the very least plausible.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ffs. I know they mention creative impasse, but can't stop to wonder if there's any truth to the speculations about Feige wanting to use Ghost Rider. Since it seems like this is the case I'm okay with this development.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
honestly unless the TV shows are going to be magically high quality, every hero should probably be in the movies instead of the shows.

Now if we can get high quality minis, that's a different story. But even the Netflix shows sucked

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I am going to get tired of telling people how Spirit of Vengeance has better shot action setpieces than 90% of MCU movies though

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
...I forgot Sony made those Ghost Rider films.
I take it back. They can do worse than Venom.

D_2DUD4WkAcFbXA.jpg

tumblr_mzfc19ENDX1rgbk02o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzfc19ENDX1rgbk02o2_1280.jpg

look i dont make the rules this movie kicks major tail

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I know a few of my online mutuals were looking forward to this, whether it was because of the lack of MCU connection or the darker, R-rated tone (although that might've been more of an assumption than anything else) but this probably means the Feige rumors were legit and I'm much more excited about MCU Ghost Rider than whatever Hulu's version was gonna be

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I doubt that the Ghost Rider news has any direct connection to what Marvel Studios may or may not be planning with the character, but it does make a Marvel Studios Ghost Rider project a bit more likely, since there's no longer a risk of brand confusion.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I thought Ghost Rider was one of the shows to lead to a Spirits of Vengeance team-up show. How's that going to go now?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Reyes drive a car instead of a motorcycle? If so, that's the one thing I wish they'd keep from Blaze.
While I do enjoy a good motorcyle

The idea, the premise of homie being called in he's driving a whole ass car , and he's just driving into situations that logically make no sense like nico from devil may cry v is too good. And funny MCU marvel might actually do it

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
While I do enjoy a good motorcyle

The idea, the premise of homie being called in he's driving a whole ass car , and he's just driving into situations that logically make no sense like nico from devil may cry v is too good. And funny MCU marvel might actually do it
To me, the character is synonymous with the motorcycle. I understand making Reyes drive a car in comics to differentiate him from Blaze, but if they are going to go with Reyes instead of Blaze and not in addition to him, I'd prefer they kept the motorcycle. Or compromise and have him ride both in different situations.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
We really need more latinx representation in the MCU. Luis is probably the only latinx character period, right?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
That's really a shame and hope going forward that Fiege and Co. do more to include latinx characters since it seems like every other demo is getting some major representation except us.
Well, there were Ms. America rumors not too long ago!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eternals is going to do a lot of good for Marvel's diversity in general.

They're relatively short on Hispanic/Latino characters though, that's for sure. You've got Robbie and SamNova. Maybe Ms. America but I'm not sure how bankable she is. Maybe the White Tiger family?

There's a bunch of X-Men characters but of course they're way down the line at this point. Unless they racelift some of the major characters.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I was meaning more in terms of racial demos but I would love to see some trans representation as well.

I hadn't seen those rumors about Ms. America - although i'm not too familiar with her so not really sure how she's been received.

Part of the reason why I love Spiderverse is because it's latinx representation but you aren't beat over the head with it so it feels real and not forced. Give me something like that and i'd be 100% ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.