• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's not intentional racism or sexism by any means. I think the character was fucked over by a Bendis being on auto pilot and the various comicsgate weirdos polluting the well enough that casual talk would be how the character sucks.

Also people already show their ass for Shuri
Even in Riri's case, she improved dramatically when she got her solo series separate from Bendis.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I mean in that people, even in this thread, are bringing up ideas of introducing Ironheart without using Riri.

I know what you mean... For some reason people are just fine to combine RiRi with previously introduced black genius, a previously introduced 50y/o black woman, or swapping her with a white girl.

I wonder what that reason could be...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nobody ever talked about streamlining Stark, Pym, Banner, and Strange into one character even though all of them are affluent white male geniuses.

This shit ain't hard to figure out.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nobody ever talked about streamlining Stark, Pym, Banner, and Strange into one character even though all of them are affluent white male geniuses.

This shit ain't hard to figure out.

I don't imagine we'll be getting any calls swaps or streamlining when Doom and Richard's are introduced either.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What, people not checking out her current run? It's actually part of my monthly pull.

The fact that in a genre where hero identity changes are a thing it's only a problem when it's black teenage girl.

The hate for Williams goes way beyond just not liking the character. She's one of the reasons why comicsgate got the little traction they did in thee first place.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I know what you mean... For some reason people are just fine to combine RiRi with previously introduced black genius, a previously introduced 50y/o black woman, or swapping her with a white girl.

I wonder what that reason could be...

Just to add a small correction, they said Monica, who's about 35 around Endgame (if she wasn't snapped). You're thinking of Maria.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hayley Atwell has already recorded lines for What If:

It was just announced that you'll be reprising Peggy Carter for Marvel'sWhat If…? animated series. How long have you been sitting on this news?

It kind of slipped on. What's remarkable is that this is a couple of work days for me. I'll do half an afternoon on Endgame, or then you're in the studio for a couple of hours on What If…? Because so many fans love this franchise, it's so much bigger than the time that affected my actual life, which is a remarkable thing. So, it just means that I can't really remember the details of when exactly it was, but I want to say a few months, maybe.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Even then, I don't see the issue with just using Riri.
If Marvel makes a Riri movie it'll probably be great, at the moment it just make no sense to me to have a random kid with no association with Tony take on the Iron Man mantle when you have Peter who's pretty clearly Tony's successor, Morgan in several years, and the kid in Iron Man 3 who came back in Endgame. Or even Norman Osborne taking over Stark Industries or something which would fit really naturally. Speaking as someone who mostly only knows the movies.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
If Marvel makes a Riri movie it'll probably be great, at the moment it just make no sense to me to have a random kid with no association with Tony take on the Iron Man mantle when you have Peter who's pretty clearly Tony's successor, Morgan in several years, and the kid in Iron Man 3 who came back in Endgame. Or even Norman Osborne taking over Stark Industries or something which would fit really naturally. Speaking as someone who mostly only knows the movies.

You're aware that there are five years between Infinity War and Endgame that weren't erased and not even explored at all yet..right?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As someone that watched FFH not that long ago, it's a firm reminder that you can get creative as fuck in how you tie things together from past movies. They can make it work.

And yea, I get that the idea of a daughter following her dad's footsteps is cute and all, but I'd immediately sour on it if they ever did that in place of adapting Ironheart. And you calling him the "kid in Iron Man 3" is exactly why they'll never make a movie about him haha, I don't remember his name either

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Any news on Whaleman?

4h8u69qcbjj21.png

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Ya know, for RDJ being as amazing as he was in the Ironman role, it's really a shame that we only got 1 good Ironman film out of him. I tried to rewatch Ironman 2 this weekend and boy does that movie SUCK. Feels so dated and cheesy compared to the quality of the MCU now.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ya know, for RDJ being as amazing as he was in the Ironman role, it's really a shame that we only got 1 good Ironman film out of him. I tried to rewatch Ironman 2 this weekend and boy does that movie SUCK. Feels so dated and cheesy compared to the quality of the MCU now.
I mean, Iron Man 1 feels pretty dated at this point too.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's sad, although I don't dislike Iron Man 2 that much. The subplot of Tony dying is good, it's the Ivan Vanko stuff and the third act that aren't very good. Civil War and the Avengers movies are the real Iron Man sequels with better antagonists for Tony - Ultron, Captain America, and Thanos.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
2 is okay and 3 is basically a Tony Stark film.

Reminder 1, they just winged it and it worked, 2 is what happened if they prepared.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, Iron Man 1 feels pretty dated at this point too.
It definitely is but it still holds up and is actually a good movie with a good plot and villain. I think I just hated Ivan Vanko so much that I could never give the film a chance.
Yeah it's sad, although I don't dislike Iron Man 2 that much. The subplot of Tony dying is good, it's the Ivan Vanko stuff and the third act that aren't very good. Civil War and the Avengers movies are the real Iron Man sequels with better antagonists for Tony - Ultron, Captain America, and Thanos.
That's kind of where i'm getting at since Civil War and Avengers Tony/Ironman was RDJ playing the character to perfection and it's just a bummer we didn't get more of that performance in a solo film.

I mean, I used 'great' pretty loosely. But yeah, Iron Man 3 is at number 6 out of the 23 for me as far as the MCU goes. So it's definitely towards the top of the MCU.

Wow, that high? I'm curious which films you rank above and directly below? Its not even in the top 15 in my list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur only works for one movie. By the time a sequel can come out the girl has grown three feet taller and is on her way to college and that's boring.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Iron Man 3 a lot. It's fun, it's flashy, it's snappy, it's got some creative (and weighty) action sequences. I'd put it over any MCU movie in the past two years.

...eh, maybe not over Ragnarok. That's a close one, though. They're both in my "solid second tier" if I had to rank them.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Wow, that high? I'm curious which films you rank above and directly below? Its not even in the top 15 in my list.
At the moment my ratings go, from number one to seven, as follows: Endgame, Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, Civil War, Infinity War, Iron Man 3, Avengers. So yes, Iron Man 3 above the first Guardians and Black Panther, among others. Blasphemy to some, I'm sure. I can't help it.

I understand why (quite) some people dislike it (to some extent), but I just love the Shane Black smoothness and the combo of him and RDJ just really works for me (just as in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Also, the chemistry between RDJ and Gwyneth is just so amazing. That really struck me on my rewatch of the movies before Infinity War. In all three Iron Man movies, they are just so very good together. And sure, Aldrich Killian is a shit villain.

For me, IM 3 is right above Hulk in my rankings of of MCU movies. It's disposable fluff, but not actively awful, like the hulk.
Hehe, that's pretty amazing to me. Ranking IM3 below something like The Dark World is mindblowing to me. But, hey, to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.