• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Personally I don't care about Holland Spider-man appearing in Sony movies. If these movies are good then great, I'll watch them and enjoy them, but anything not made by Marvel Studios is not canon as far as I'm concerned so even if they're bad I'll simply ignore them.
Pretty much summed it up, small price to pay for having him in the MCU

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I would be surprised if they didn't reference the MCU Spider-Man movies. That's the main benefit of having Tom Holland versus recasting a Spider-Man for their universe.

I would say the only reason Sony wants Tom Holland as Spidey is because he's a well received Spidey as opposed to having a completely new unknown Spider-Man.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This is strangely worded. Sony owns the rights to all cinematic versions of spider-man, Holland included. They have the ability to do whatever they want with him. If Sony wanted to make a Spidey Holland x Jumanji x Men in Black crossover film, there's nothing disney/marvel could do about it. A Spidey/Venom crossover film is an inevitability. Sony was always going to make that film no matter what Disney wanted.

That part isn't the compromise. I read Feige's statement as a concession that in exchange for Sony bending on revenue, Disney is simply going to have to learn to live with a bunch of Sony produced spider-adjacent films they'd rather not be there.

afaik, it's been pretty widely reported that Marvel Studios vetoed previous attempts by Sony to put the character in their own spinoffs. the deal they signed in 2015 presumably gave them creative control over anything Sony might do with the Tom Holland MCU version of the character, at least while that deal was in effect

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
afaik, it's been pretty widely reported that Marvel Studios vetoed previous attempts by Sony to put the character in their own spinoffs. the deal they signed in 2015 presumably gave them creative control over anything Sony might do with the Tom Holland MCU version of the character, at least while that deal was in effect

Nope. Marvel couldn't "veto" anything. Theres a gentleman's agreement between the two where Sony would like to keep Disney happy to keep the MCU integration going, but that's where it ends.

Theres never been a shred of evidence that Sony relinqushed any of their rights to spider man back to Disney. The contracts with Holland and Co. were always with Sony Pictures.

If Sony decided they wanted Holland in Venom 2, then he would be- but as we saw when talks broke down there would be no further MCU integration and Feige would walk. That's it.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Note: I wrote this post without reading the last 2 pages.

I read his news as Spider-Man being utilized by both Sony and Disney but not necessarily meaning a cross-over.

Disney was a bit too eager this time around. I think this is the smart play. Wait for the self-inflicted wounds like Morbius and Madame Web to hurt Sony's bottom-line and then go in for the crazier deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Nope. Marvel couldn't "veto" anything. Theres a gentleman's agreement between the two where Sony would like to keep Disney happy to keep the MCU integration going, but that's where it ends.

Theres never been a shred of evidence that Sony relinqushed any of their rights to spider man back to Disney. The contracts with Holland and Co. were always with Sony Pictures.
of course the film rights to the property were always Sony's. No one outside Marvel/Sony has access to the original contract from early 2015, so I have no idea exactly how Marvel Studios' creative control was laid out there, but giving Marvel Studios creative control/approval over the Tom Holland version of the character isn't the same as giving up the film rights.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Disney was a bit too eager this time around. I think this is the smart play. Wait for the self-inflicted wounds like Morbius and Madame Web to hurt Sony's bottom-line and then go in for the crazier deal.
I think that's Disney's long-term plan, especially with the current deal covering less than the last one. They want to see how things shake out for Sony's other Spidey-adjacent films.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope the Sony Marvel movies just keep mentioning Tony Stark.

Just let the salt flow.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So who do we think will guest star in the third Spidey film? Falcon-Cap? Captain Marvel? Ms. Marvel? Doctor Strange? She-Hulk?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So 2021 is ShangChi, Spidey, Thor Fhor, Hawkguy, Bucky/Cap, Strange 2

Who else am I forgetting? I think Ms. Marvel since it's filming next year.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier is 2020.

I also very much doubt Moon Knight and She-Hulk are 2021. Ms. Marvel may be if they're filming next year.

So 2021 would be:

Shang-Chi
WandaVision
Doctor Strange 2
Loki
Spider-Man 3
What If
Thor: Love & Thunder
Hawkeye
Ms. Marvel (maybe)

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Falcon and the Winter Soldier is 2020.

I also very much doubt Moon Knight and She-Hulk are 2021. Ms. Marvel may be if they're filming next year.

So 2021 would be:

Shang-Chi
WandaVision
Doctor Strange 2
Loki
Spider-Man 3
What If
Thor: Love & Thunder
Hawkeye
Ms. Marvel (maybe)
They said all of those are Phase 4 (Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, & She-Hulk included), so I'd imagine that the plan is to get them all out before the end of 2021.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
They said all of those are Phase 4 (Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, & She-Hulk included), so I'd imagine that the plan is to get them all out before the end of 2021.
I know they're phase 4 but I can't see them produce that many projects in the next year. But maybe they've really become this efficient. They might change/expand phase 4 into 2022, maybe make BP2 and that year phase 4, or move the two shows into phase 5. 7 shows and 4 movies for 2021 seems way too wild.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I won't bother posting in the thread on the etc page since it's probably a trash fire, but I'll just say that I'm really happy and the news made my day.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I'm very happy Holland is back in the fold but I really hope the next Spidey films is a bit more self-contained. Him being on the run should help with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
In other news:

While Marvel Studios is moving into TV with the Disney+ series, Marvel Television seems to be on the decline, with few new shows in development.

gonna be interesting to see how much/little of the stuff Loeb alluded to in this interview from just last month (the other "Adventure into Fear" shows for Hulu, further street-level series, projects for Disney+, the female-focused project in development at ABC) actually comes to fruition

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah with Rider now done, C&D still in a weird spot for the future, Runaways is going to S3 but who knows after and the Animation team in a weirder spot.

That all female team show planned is likely cooked.

The Hulu animated stuff could get revealed more next week.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Is Hellstrom still happening? What other characters fall in the "Adventures into Fear" line?

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah with Rider now done, C&D still in a weird spot for the future, Runaways is going to S3 but who knows after and the Animation team in a weirder spot.

That all female team show planned is likely cooked.

The Hulu animated stuff could get revealed more next week.

Why next week? As was said on the other thread, Loeb and Marvel TV should focus on creating original Marvel animation content whether it be movies or tv shows. I feel Marvel Studios is not going to delve too deep into that besides What If.

Dec 31, 2017
I would say the only reason Sony wants Tom Holland as Spidey is because he's a well received Spidey as opposed to having a completely new unknown Spider-Man.
You're right, but it goes beyond that. Sony Pictures is using the goodwill, brand power and other marketing intangibles of a $22.5 B franchise for free.

It's the equivalent of you making something, and selling with say an Apple product logo on it. How much is that worth to you?

Nov 1, 2017
Accoridng to this the budget for Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist were 3.8 million per episode? Could that possibly be true??

Isn't filming in New York very expensive? I'm guessing adding that with CG, fight choreography and destroying objects/cars will cost you a ton of money in an expensive city like that.

I read somewhere on reddit that a tv production crew (not Marvel) paid someone $3000 just to move their car out their driveway for a background shot.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Loeb and the TV division should just fold into Marvel Studios and help work on the Disney+ shows at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.