• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Either way you essentially get 2 digital copes + blu ray and UHD for the same price. Not a bad deal. I always sell them since it brings down my cost from $27 to $17 if I sell the second code for $10.
Yeah, that's cool. Nice way to gain back some cost.

I've never tried selling a digital code before, though. Only tried Disc + Digital because the Target exclusive didn't include a 4K copy. I usually get those for MCU movies when I can.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, that's cool. Nice way to gain back some cost.

I've never tried selling a digital code before, though. Only tried Disc + Digital because the Target exclusive didn't include a 4K copy. I usually get those for MCU movies when I can.
There's a very reputable Buy/Sell/Trade here that i've never had any issues with and have sold/purchased several codes from.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bu...ew-rules-in-the-op.454/page-452#post-25111888

Just thought i'd let you know in case you ever decide to do it in the future.

1 gift from utricularEwe001

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from utricularEwe001 utricularEwe001!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

utricularEwe001 said:
This is a pretty good game, if you are interested in RTS genre.

These are our awesome prizes:

Oct 31, 2017
I'm trying to think of the best way for both parties to continue this partnership long-term in an amicable manner.

But of course, the smart thing to do would be for Sony to poach someone from Marvel Studios to be the Feige of their SUMC. I mean, the head of Sony Pictures Entertainment and Motion Picture Group came from Fox. The head of SPTV came from Hulu (and previously Fox). The head of Sony Pictures Animation was poached from DreamWorks. Rothman immediately poached Gabler and Fox 2000 to form 3000 Pictures when Disney closed that studio down. So clearly Sony is not above poaching from the competition.

If Sony can get someone with an iota of intelligence to map out their universe from Marvel Studios with Feige's blessing, Marvel can have Spider-Man for crossover events and Sony only shares profits with them for the main solo Spider-Man films, I don't know how this isn't the best way forward for both corporations and fans.

I don't think this deal is sustainable long term, but we'll see. In 2-4 years we'll be doing the same dance. This dance will end with either Disney acquiring the license in full or Sony yanking the property to go on their own IMO.

Problem with "getting their own Feige" is that Feige is a genius savant. Not easy to replicate. And the problem with your last sentence is how to share profits and ownership. Why would Marvel and Disney help develop another Cinematic Universe if they don't have an ownership stake in it, at the very least? Or don't get compensated appropriately? You're better off using Feige to expand the MCU even further with TV shows and 4 movies a year and/or expand the Star Wars universe where you get all the proceeds.

Can DIsney just completely buy back Spidey please?
Another Spidey movie with Sony involved is like a new fresh pair of shoes with a damn rock in it.
After the next 2 mcu appearances we'll just be back here again waiting for them to either pull the plug or - if we're lucky - extend it once again.

Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

The license is worth A LOT more to Sony than it is to Disney. If the situation was reversed (i.e. worth more to Disney than Sony) then the license would have been bought. To a lesser extent it's the same situation as Hulk and Universal, it's worth more to Comcast to keep it from Disney than it is for Disney to pay for it. Same with the theme park rights. Same with Indy rights from Paramount.

When Disney wanted something, they overpaid (at the time) and got it, i.e. Paramount distribution rights.

Unlikely. With Men In Black disappointing, Sony doesn't really have any more movies to kick-start a new franchise. I don't know how Charlie's Angels going to perform and if it flops, only franchise stopping Sony Pictures from going down under is Spider-Man.

So, They are not going to let go their only money maker for anything. Best case scenario would be to extend the current deal with holland appearing in other mcu films (like Civil War)

Charlie's Angels looks just okay and without the charm that DIaz, Liu, and Berrymore brought. Naomi Scott got some name recognition and charm due to Aladdin, but not enough to make it a hit. Jumanji still needs to prove itself as a franchise and might suffer the 2nd movie nostalgia remake drop that SW, Jurrasic, etc suffered. Sony is going to double down on Spidey even more IMO. I think they should just rid themselves of this division and double down on PS. They can't compete. They could also double down like CBSViacom is doing, but choices for that are getting more and more limited.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
May I propose changing the title of the thread to Marvel Not Cinematic Universe?
kGXCqvS.gif

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much the Infinity Saga box-set is gonna cost....already making preparations

The closest comparison I could think of is the Bond 50 box set, which was 22 Bond films and had a MSRP of $299

The MCU property right now is, of course, hotter than Bond was when that box set released. So I'm gonna predict $300-$400 for the Infinity Saga box set.

either way that's a lot of Canadian dollars ; _ ;

EDIT: OH GOD WAIT IT'S CONFIRMED

6384410_sa2qkmg.png

THAT SPINE ART IS FUCKING GODLY

$549 ; _ ;

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The closest comparison I could think of is the Bond 50 box set, which was 22 Bond films and had a MSRP of $299

The MCU property right now is, of course, hotter than Bond was when that box set released. So I'm gonna predict $300-$400 for the Infinity Saga box set.

either way that's a lot of Canadian dollars ; _ ;

EDIT: OH GOD WAIT IT'S CONFIRMED

6384410_sa2qkmg.png

THAT SPINE ART IS FUCKING GODLY

$549 ; _ ;
FUCK IT IM GOING IN
OH BUT I WANT IT ON AMAZON
BEZOS PLZ

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You all actually like the art on the box set? I think it is incredibly mediocre and much less than I was expecting. That price tag is also insane and not worth it without the digital copies.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just praying someone puts the bonus disc content online. The phase 2 bonus content has some great scenes, but I don't even think those are all available online.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
That box set is kinda perfect for me. I already own most of the MCU via steelbook, but most are not 4K. This is the quickest and easiest way to get those 4K discs and save a bunch of shelf space.

I have no use for digital copies so that doesn't bother me. Ripping blu rays ain't hard.

Hardest pill to swallow is the price with this Canadian dollar. fuck me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That box set is kinda perfect for me. I already own most of the MCU via steelbook, but most are not 4K. This is the quickest and easiest way to get those 4K discs and save a bunch of shelf space.

I have no use for digital copies so that doesn't bother me. Ripping blu rays ain't hard.

Hardest pill to swallow is the price with this Canadian dollar. fuck me.
I have a select few MCU films digitally, & I have enough Google credit to get whatever I want on digital. Assuming that the PS5 can play 4K Blu-Ray discs, I'll need to upgrade my MCU collection to 4K anyway.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The cynic in me feels like they didn't include the digital copies so that you have to subscribe to Disney+ to watch them.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
lol he's Martin fuckin' Scorsese, not some mouth-breathing tribalist Zack Snyder fanboy. he has the right to dislike the MCU as much as he wants, frankly
Disliking something is very different from claiming that it isn't cinema. It just sounds incredibly petty. It also reminds me when some directors claim that movies that don't release on movie theaters are simply "below" the others.

It's just a dumb statement plain and simple.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
lol he's Martin fuckin' Scorsese, not some mouth-breathing tribalist Zack Snyder fanboy. he has the right to dislike the MCU as much as he wants, frankly

It's less an issue that he holds this particular statement - and more that he paints all 23 movies with that brush when he admits he's only watched a few of them. Has he even seen the Guardians movies? Possibly not, so I'd be a little hurt too if I were James Gunn.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love for whedon to get another shot at something. Maybe he'd direct an episode or two for she hulk?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Disliking something is very different from claiming that it isn't cinema. It just sounds incredibly petty. It also reminds me when some directors claim that movies that don't release on movie theaters are simply "below" the others.

It's just a dumb statement plain and simple.

Pretty much. Just because he's Martin Scorsese doesn't mean he should be able to gatekeep. All he's done with this arbitrary argument is provide confirmation bias to a bunch of film snob wannabes.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the thing: you can be highly regarded and revered in your specific field, and still have a bad take. No one is immune to having bad opinions or thoughts about something. His movies may be considered masterpieces, which means that many people will give his opinions more clout, but it's still wrongheaded, and goes too far to make his point.

This goes back to the concept of who decides what is and isn't art. No one decides that. All visual art IS "Art", for example. The question shouldn't be the if, but the quality. Whether it's a good example or a bad one. People might overwhelmingly think the Mona Lisa is an example of good art, and see some canvas with random splotches of paint on it and think that's bad art. That's fine. But they are both art.

If Scorsese said that the MCU movies aren't what he thinks of when he thinks of cinema, that would be one thing. Or if they were bad examples of cinema. People would disagree with him, naturally, but you can respect that take. Not everything is for everyone. But to dismiss it entirely, as if it doesn't even qualify to be called a movie, is disrespectful of the hundreds of people who made these films, as well as the medium itself. It's another person trying to gatekeep an art form which doesn't need it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Charlie's Angels looks just okay and without the charm that DIaz, Liu, and Berrymore brought. Naomi Scott got some name recognition and charm due to Aladdin, but not enough to make it a hit. Jumanji still needs to prove itself as a franchise and might suffer the 2nd movie nostalgia remake drop that SW, Jurrasic, etc suffered. Sony is going to double down on Spidey even more IMO. I think they should just rid themselves of this division and double down on PS. They can't compete. They could also double down like CBSViacom is doing, but choices for that are getting more and more limited.
Microsoft, Google, Apple and Amazon are all worth around $1tn with gaming ambitions. You want Sony to sell its film division and take that $20bn and...go into a bidding war with any of the aforementioned players for a gaming publisher? Sony needs diversification, if the PS5 is not as successful as the PS4, they are screwed.

Anywho, I have no interest in buying a boxset, but I was thinking of going back and seeing the MCU films I skipped, AoU and Ant-Man 2. I hear AoU is meh though and I can't get excited about AM2 (and I like Rudd!).

Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft, Google, Apple and Amazon are all worth around $1tn with gaming ambitions. You want Sony to sell its film division and take that $20bn and...go into a bidding war with any of the aforementioned players for a gaming publisher? Sony needs diversification, if the PS5 is not as successful as the PS4, they are screwed.

I never said anything about purchasing a publisher, though that is an option they should pursue. The latter three companies that you mentioned have been having gaming ambitions for as long as I can remember, and Stadia is the only time I see something half serious from them. Let's see how long that lasts, we know how Google is quick to drop low margin units.

None of the companies you mentioned have gone all out on gaming except Microsoft and the only time they were competitive with Sony was in the 360 days......and even then the PS3 outsold the 360. Microsoft has always had a 10x+ market cap over Sony, and that hasn't mattered. Not sure why you're bringing up market cap. If any of those companies were going to go into gaming to kill Sony, they would have, but they are not. Diversification sometimes is a fools dream. We all know the bread and butter of the near 1T companies you mentioned, and it ain't gaming.

If you want Sony to diversify so bad then should want them to go back to robotics. They were way ahead of the game on that one in the early 2000s and that's a serious goldmine to whoever can get that right in the next 10-20 years in the consumer, manufacturer, or corporate space. Or maybe have phones in carriers in the US, that would be nice eh? Or having impressive laptops, tablets for consumers and not sell them like they did Vaio?

Anyways, I know how passionate you are about SPE, and you know how bearish I am on SPE's movie division, so let's agree to disagree.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If the Sony deal was dead by the FFH release why was Feige acting like it was assumed SM3 would be in the MCU?

Dec 31, 2017
Sony is more interested in non-Tech diversification though, such as corporate services.

Pictures makes a tiny profit for Sony but they are more likely to find a suitor than its loss-making Telco division, which continues to bleed money and doesn't have any IP that would interest its competitors.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Don't know why so many are getting angry at Scorsese's comments, he admitted himself he doesn't even watch the damn movies, imagine if some random on Twitter said the MCU isn't cinema without watching the movies, they'd be accused of trolling or fanboyism

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know why so many are getting angry at Scorsese's comments, he admitted himself he doesn't even watch the damn movies, imagine if some random on Twitter said the MCU isn't cinema without watching the movies, they'd be accused of trolling or fanboyism

Someone trolling without having seen the movies seems like a legitimate reason to be angry about. He's one of the best directors of all time but that doesn't mean that everything that comes out of his mouth is gospel.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb take that borders on disrespectful to the artists behind it, but I'm not too pressed about it.

Do people expect Martin Scorcese of all people to be like "I saw Ant-Man in theaters and it showed me the power these movies have"

Dec 12, 2017
Just wanted to say, i lurk this thread a lot and it is refreshing how positive its tone generally is for the most part.

Counter to peeps elsewhere that would say otherwise. 🙂

Oct 29, 2017
That's true but he also made it clear he tried to watch 'them' at some point but doesn't anymore. Which means when he's saying they're not 'cinema' he's doing it with an incredibly narrow view of what he's talking about, having not actually seen the films. I love Scorsese, he's a phenomenal director but it was an atrocious take and I do think people are right to criticise it, it's not like it can't be wrong.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Instead of getting angry I'd just disregard his comments and then keep it moving,, but since this debate has been going on for the past 3 days with no end in sight I'm in the minority I suppose
He's not the first highly director/writer/actor to say these things about the MCU, and he definitely won't be the last, so instead of making a fuss every time, I'm just gonna enjoy riding the MCU train while it's riding high, which is gonna be for a long, long, long, long, long, while yet, no matter how many media outlets are licking their chops for the faintest hint of superhero/MCU movie fatigue, so, I suppose Scorsese's just gonna have to get used to these "theme parks" dominating for the forseeable future, hell, Disneyland seems to still be going strong :P

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about The Thunderbolts the more I'm convinced they'll be the Dark Avengers of the MCU. Right now there's no official Avengers team assembled and that leaves a void. That's the perfect opportunity for someone like General Ross, who was deeply involved with the Sokovia Accords (and I presume has close ties with the UN) to step in and take the lead. Of course an Avengers team made of
some sort of villains doesn't make much sense but I think they'll find a way to justify it. I can totally see Yelena being a member of it.

God damn I just want movies focused in villains.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I think the Marvel's Avengers game is going to give a pretty good look into how Kamala's powers are gonna look live-action.

GOnvtMP.gif

zbPDNt2.gif

wrg5Sni.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the face (or any of the faces) but otherwise, she looks great. Kamala is currently the only reason I'm interested in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.