• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't think it's anything more than clickbait. What return will Disney make from Spider-Man when they already own the merchandise rights and cannot possibly pump out an MCU Spider-Man universe of films annually enough to justify paying more for his film rights than all of Marvel.

My understanding is that Disney isn't exactly thrilled about Sony's plans to create a competing universe of Spider-Films (which they absolutely, positively will do if left alone) and this would prevent that.

Would Disney make back 5 billion on Spider-Man films over and above what they already make via merchandising? No. but they prevent devaluation of the Marvel IP on questionable films, and their own movies won't be competing in release windows with Venom 3: Venom Hard with a Vengeance, Carnage 2: Electric Boogaloo, Black Cat and Silver Sable Strike Back, and Weekend at Morbius for the next decade.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
My understanding is that Disney isn't exactly thrilled about Sony's plans to create a competing universe of Spider-Films (which they absolutely, positively will do if left alone) and this would prevent that.

Would Disney make back 5 billion on Spider-Man films over and above what they already make via merchandising? No. but they prevent devaluation of the Marvel IP on questionable films, and their own movies won't be competing in release windows with Venom 3: Venom Hard with a Vengeance, Carnage 2: Electric Boogaloo, Black Cat and Silver Sable Strike Back, and Weekend at Morbius for the next decade.
Hmm. Still feel like working with Sony to make sure we never see a film as bad as Venom is the best (and cheapest) path forward for both parties. LMAO at weekend at Morbius

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hmm. Still feel like working with Sony to make sure we never see a film as bad as Venom is the best (and cheapest) path forward for both parties. LMAO at weekend at Morbius

Venom made nearly $900m at the box office. There is no reason for Sony to make a film any better than what they already did. The success of that film also has encouraged them to make any number of other questionable spinoffs and there is A SHIT TON of IP tied up in the Spider-Man franchise. Nearly as much as X-men.

Sony being in a position to make a lot of terrible movies using marvel IP that Disney can't stop isn't a great position to be in, and rumor had it that was one of the big sticking points for Disney during their agreement with Sony. Solo alone did a lot of damage to the viability of the Star Wars franchise. What happens when Sony decides that making movies around Hammerhead or Big Wheel are great ideas?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

"Now I'm going with a Marvel movie. I'm going on to play a superhero, which is cool. I don't know what I can say about it, I'm scared to sort of even mention it," Harington said at first before detailing a play he wanted to join. "I'm trying to choose things as far away from Jon Snow as possible, but I'm playing a superhero and he's got a sword."

So he does become Black Knight in the movie after all. Lol, he also recognizes the irony.

Oct 31, 2017

Venom made nearly $900m at the box office. There is no reason for Sony to make a film any better than what they already did. The success of that film also has encouraged them to make any number of other questionable spinoffs and there is A SHIT TON of IP tied up in the Spider-Man franchise. Nearly as much as X-men.

Sony being in a position to make a lot of terrible movies using marvel IP that Disney can't stop isn't a great position to be in, and rumor had it that was one of the big sticking points for Disney during their agreement with Sony. Solo alone did a lot of damage to the viability of the Star Wars franchise. What happens when Sony decides that making movies around Hammerhead or Big Wheel are great ideas?

This......is a good point. We all have seen how dilution can mess up a brand. FF is still damaged due to Fox. X-Men used to be one of the hottest and most popular super hero properties and have just gone into major bomba territory with an amazing story like Dark Phoenix. Star Wars had a major bomba in Solo making Iger say they are course correcting and "the buck stops here". Who ever thought a Star Wars movie would bomba? I have a hard time not seeing the brand diluting with 2 CUs and garbage movies like Venom being made. And if there's one CEO who has earned the goodwill from the board and shareholders to be able to spend that kind of cash for this - and sell that explanation - is Iger.

Still though 5 billy, or even 4 billy, would be a lot of money (or cash/stock) even if we include distribution and ownership to all Marvel products already produced by SPE. Higher dividends, deleverage, stock buyback would be better use of capital, but I would trust Iger. IIRC I did some back of the napkin math based on 10-12x profit per year for a valuation of the property. Disney would probably value it at 2-2.5B (assuming 1 movie per years). Sony would probably value it at 6-7.5B (assuming 3 movies per year).

Regardless this is a rumor based on someone who we don't even know if they are credible. That said I would watch Venom Hard with a Vengeance if it includes Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
This......is a good point. We all have seen how dilution can mess up a brand. FF is still damaged due to Fox. X-Men used to be one of the hottest and most popular super hero properties and have just gone into major bomba territory with an amazing story like Dark Phoenix. Star Wars had a major bomba in Solo making Iger say they are course correcting and "the buck stops here". Who ever thought a Star Wars movie would bomba? I have a hard time not seeing the brand diluting with 2 CUs and garbage movies like Venom being made. And if there's one CEO who has earned the goodwill from the board and shareholders to be able to spend that kind of cash for this - and sell that explanation - is Iger.

Still though 5 billy, or even 4 billy, would be a lot of money (or cash/stock) even if we include distribution and ownership to all Marvel products already produced by SPE. Higher dividends, deleverage, stock buyback would be better use of capital, but I would trust Iger. IIRC I did some back of the napkin math based on 10-12x profit per year for a valuation of the property. Disney would probably value it at 2-2.5B (assuming 1 movie per years). Sony would probably value it at 6-7.5B (assuming 3 movies per year).

Regardless this is a rumor based on someone who we don't even know if they are credible. That said I would watch Venom Hard with a Vengeance if it includes Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson.

I'm sick of these mother fuckin' symbiotes in my mother fuckin' movies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird to see Liv Tyler interacting with a non-Norton Banner.

Maybe they'll make her Red She-Hulk! (lol please don't do that)

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It's kinda funny how the Young Avengers might all be ladies besides possibly Peter.

Don't stop on my account, Feige. Keep going.

FamiliarAnotherFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.