• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

WprSWfFeA732Z-mv_0CU189dMQg=.gif

X-Men and Spider-Man, for sure.
But Hulk, Iron-Man and Captain America were more mainstream than Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom.

Conversely, DC is finding more success eschewing from its second largest hero (or maybe first? I don't know but everyone knows Superman).

I think people just want good movies. If Ghost Rider (both movies) weren't dog shit, he might have been big by now as well.

Although we know Sony turned down all of Marvel characters for only Spider-Man. But they followed with choosing Ghost Rider over ANY of them? Good Lord.

Dec 31, 2017

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Hulk and Cap? Sure.

Iron Man? Absolutely not.
I gave up. I can't figure out a way to prove that Iron Man was more popular than the the fantastic four to average people. I think it's fair to say, he's at least as popular mainstream prior to the MCU (I was gonna go down an MvC2 route but digressed)

Cap wasn't known to the mainstream before the MCU. People knew the name "Captain America" but had no fucking idea who Steve Rogers was.
Completely disagree. How many people know "The Thing's" name or "Gambit's" name? Captain America was a popular figure before the MCU.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up. I can't figure out a way to prove that Iron Man was more popular than the the fantastic four to average people. I think it's fair to say, he's at least as popular mainstream prior to the MCU (I was gonna go down an MvC2 route but digressed)

Completely disagree. How many people know "The Thing's" name or "Gambit's" name? Captain America was a popular figure before the MCU.

The Thing had it's own cartoon in the late 70's, and the FF (and Iron Man) had cartoons in the 90's. Captain america hasn't had anything since the failed 90's movie.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The Thing had it's own cartoon in the late 70's, and the FF (and Iron Man) had cartoons in the 90's. Captain america hasn't had anything since the failed 90's movie.
I can't find historic metrics, lol.
My point is, the tweet saying that the MCU launching without F4/Dr Doom/X-Men is a disparage to the fact that Ironman, Hulk and Captain were known. The MCU gets credit for the Heroes that literally weren't even close to mainstream (Guardians, Strange, Black Widow, Black Panther)

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I can't find historic metrics, lol.
My point is, the tweet saying that the MCU launching without F4/Dr Doom/X-Men is a disparage to the fact that Ironman, Hulk and Captain were known. The MCU gets credit for the Heroes that literally weren't even close to mainstream (Guardians, Strange, Black Widow, Black Panther)

People thought Iron Man was a robot.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Those same people wouldn't know Ben Grimm (without internet access)

I actually don't think the Fantastic Four is better to start with than the Avengers. The X-men, sure. Spider-Man....probably? I'm not sure you could base a universe around Spider-Man. You really do need the Avengers. X-Men are kind of insular, and the FF are kind of limited. Huh. Wish I could see the alternate unvierse where they had the rights to Spider-Man.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Those same people wouldn't know Ben Grimm (without internet access)
Feige: We didn't have Spider-Man. We didn't have Fantastic Four. [We had] the B-list characters—that was the L.A. Times or somebody's headline. I never really thought that because I knew that Iron Man was really cool and Hulk was, arguably, next to Spider-Man, the biggest character we had. I thought they all had amazing potential, but the goal was deliver these two movies, and make the best Iron Man film we could, and make the best version of Hulk, even coming five years after another version of Hulk. It wasn't, this is the first of a 22-movie cinematic saga.

Feige straight out says that mainstream media called Iron Man "b-list" before the first movie came out. He was only known to comic readers and cartoon watchers.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I actually don't think the Fantastic Four is better to start with than the Avengers. The X-men, sure. Spider-Man....probably? I'm not sure you could base a universe around Spider-Man. You really do need the Avengers. X-Men are kind of insular, and the FF are kind of limited. Huh. Wish I could see the alternate unvierse where they had the rights to Spider-Man.
I know I get shit for being a Spider-Man Stan, but he is one of the few (Batman and X-Men) heroes who have such a rich history, especially with their rogues and world, that they are self sustainable. Feige, or an intelligent Sony, could have had (thinking of liked arcs), maybe 10 Spider-Man universe films that could've been awesome. Plus the spin-offs! The criminal underground unit of the Spider-Man Universe, I hope Lord and Miller are making a show about it for the TV Universe.

Fantastic Four is hard because of how many areas they touch and they just weren't huge outside of us nerds.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I know I get shit for being a Spider-Man Stan, but he is one of the few (Batman and X-Men) heroes who have such a rich history, especially with their rogues and world, that they are self sustainable. Feige, or an intelligent Sony, could have had (thinking of liked arcs), maybe 10 Spider-Man universe films that could've been awesome. Plus the spin-offs! The criminal underground unit of the Spider-Man Universe, I hope Lord and Miller are making a show about it for the TV Universe.

Fantastic Four is hard because of how many areas they touch and they just weren't huge outside of us nerds.

I think Spider-Man could make an amazing series of movies. I don't think he could be the first movie of something as expansive as the MCU.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Funnily enough, the Ozzy song was the theme song for the 90's cartoon. And isn't about Iron Man at all.

No it wasn't. Fox couldn't afford that shit.

Season 1 was this.

The other seasons used a knock off.

The first Iron Man movie used Ozzie's song but cut out all the lyrics and chorus and just used the instrumentals.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think Spider-Man could make an amazing series of movies. I don't think he could be the first movie of something as expansive as the MCU.
So, if the rights were as they were prior to the Fox merger, I agree. The Spider-Man Universe would be great but not as expansive.

But if Feige had all under his control, Spider-Man opens up everything.

So in that case, he had a hand tied behind his back. But he still didn't start off with unknown heroes. They focus tested and Iron-Man was the best choice. Iron-Man was in video games. He wasn't Star Lord.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
So, if the rights were as they were prior to the Fox merger, I agree. The Spider-Man Universe would be great but not as expansive.

But if Feige had all under his control, Spider-Man opens up everything.

So in that case, he had a hand tied behind his back. But he still didn't start off with unknown heroes. They focus tested and Iron-Man was the best choice. Iron-Man was in video games. He wasn't Star Lord.

I mean, Iron Man's a good choice. Sort of an every man (I know Stark's a billionaire genius, but it's not like he was born with super powers) you got a cool flying suit of armor, and you have RDJ who has enough charisma he makes everyone he shares a scene with look better.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Okay.... But how many seasons of Firefly, Space Above and Beyond, Terminator the Sarah Conner Chronicles, ect do you have?

9 seasons of Brisco county jr, 5 seasons of firefly, and 4 movies, 3 seasons of SAB, 7 seasons of the SCC, and it lead to a series of 5 movies, and the last episode of how I met your mother was widely regarded as the greatest finale to a tv show ever, beating out the series finale of MASH.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
9 seasons of Brisco county jr, 5 seasons of firefly, and 4 movies, 3 seasons of SAB, 7 seasons of the SCC, and it lead to a series of 5 movies, and the last episode of how I met your mother was widely regarded as the greatest finale to a tv show ever, beating out the series finale of MASH.

I like you. So much.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
That reminds me of another question: Do you think, had Disney owned Marvel at the time, they would've let them cast RDJ as Iron Man? What if Sam Rockwell had got the part (I heard he was up for it)

Oct 31, 2017
Cool, hope they announce Kamala soon.

$20 bucks it's Geraldine Vishwanathan.

Not a bad choice actually. A bit older than I expected, but Holland is 23 (even though he started acting as SM at 21). No idea if she can act though.

People thought Iron Man was a robot.

I am one of those people. I was much more of a gamer and not a comic book reader at all. I straight up knew who Spider-man, Hulk, and, of course, the X-Men (and rogue) were from Marvel. Possibly Captain America as well. I know I knew Randy Couture's nickname was Captain America in the early '00s and I probably would have recognized the shield and. There was a shitty ass 90s movie that I watched with Captain America. I remember that too. There was also a shitty Spider-man movie from back then that I remember watching and actually liking lol. I also knew Fantastic Four somewhat (definitely no idea who Dr. Doom was for example) and definitely Blade, but didn't know they were Marvel. I watched some random CBMs here and there at the theater like Ang Lee's Hulk, 2006 Superman, Dark Knight and Dark Knight Returns, X-Men. When I first heard Avengers I had no idea what it was. Then I was told they are gonna have all these heroes together in one movie and I thought that is so fucking stupid. I started getting into Comic Book movies, and movies in general circa 2016, so fairly recent. I was always into games and sports before. Movies and comics were kind of secondary.

I had no idea who Iron man was. I would have thought he was the character that Shaq played in that movie. Second guess would have been a Robocop knock off. And I played MvC2 a lot, but my team was always Wolverine, Ken/Ryu, and Blanka, sometimes Guile and I never paid attention to anything else. DC was a lot more mainstream back in the days, at least to me. Superman (and Luthor), Batman (and rogue), Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Plastic Man were all well known to me. Matter of fact I didn't even know they were owned by different companies, nor did I care. That's one thing Feige is so good at, he understands the ignorance from the mainstream audience.

Blankman and Meteor Man were more known to me than Iron man was.

When the movie was going to come out my dad asked "Is it about that Iron Giant movie again, or the Ozzie Osborne song.?"

When someone asked me to watch Ant Man I thought it would be about a movie where a dude literally turns into an ant. Think The Fly with Jeff Goldblum.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Dunno how reliable this source is, but...

HN Entertainment has learned that there is a sign that a new Deadpool movie might be already in development at Marvel Studios after recent teases from actor Ryan Reynolds that it could be coming in Phase 5 and his visit to the Marvel Studios offices.

A new shell company has been designated by Disney (most likely Marvel) for an upcoming feature film.

FINGER GUNS PRODUCTIONS LLC
A pose that has been attributed to Wade Wilson and the company is described as "guns and ammo" (a possible cheeky reference to the magazine).

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Remember the Pym Industries trademark last week and what got announced yesterday?

Yeah I buy it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Ryan Reynolds didn't visit and post those pics just for shits and giggles

deadpool 3 2022 lets go

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Interested to see what they do in terms of continuity. Hope they bring back characters from the previous movies and handwave away the X-Men stuff by breaking a few walls of the 4th kind.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So will Deadpool be the first mutant hero in MCU? I wonder if at least initially Marvel Studios will center mutant-related stuff around him like they did with Iron Man and the Avengers.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So will Deadpool be the first mutant hero in MCU? I wonder if at least initially Marvel Studios will center mutant-related stuff around him like they did with Iron Man and the Avengers.

Definitely the first to get a movie but I'm sure many films before it will tease mutants in post credits scenes. I don't think he'll be the focal point for mutants though, my guess would be Cyclops or Storm.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So Antman 3 is Pym Particles Productions III
Ms. Marvel is Circle Q Productions
Hawkeye is FingerGuns Productions

Status
Not open for further replies.