• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
In early summer of 2021, we had a thread regarding this situation. While it was discussed in the gaming community for a bit, it faded away fairly quickly. During today's Nintendo Direct, I hadn't even realized that Factorio was the game at the center of last year's controversy until being reminded of it on Twitter this afternoon.

With today's announcement that the game is heading to Switch and a number of positive posts about it in the Direct thread, it's important to shine a light on this. This is not a case of someone saying a couple ignorant things on Twitter ten years ago. This is recent and it is truly disgusting.

I'll try to recap as simply as possible:

- The Factorio team released a developer blog that referenced a programmer by the name of Uncle Bob.

View: https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1405834475997704193?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1405834475997704193%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

- Uncle Bob is a racist, sexist and Trump supporter. Sourced information on that can be found in this blog post. When this was pointed out to the developers, one of the founders of the studio (and a director on the game), kovarex, had this to say:

CAqx3iS.jpg

- After it was pointed out that Uncle Bob said that women shouldn't be software engineers, kovarex defended him. After all, Uncle Bob might have some valid arguments as to why women shouldn't be software engineers and it would be unfair to label him a bigot:

MQkQpu4.png

- He also defended homophobia:

ccPtLus.png

- As kovarex's problematic comments made the rounds, he doubled down on this through the Factorio Twitter account and mocked the situation by calling it free publicity. That tweet is still up.

View: https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144

- Perhaps most disgustingly, his comments also include an absolutely horrifying claim that statutory rape isn't actually rape. It's an "SJW term."

yi12Zqv.png

The director of this game and founder of the studio is literally defending rape on Reddit.

Please do not support this game.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Certified 'yikes' moment

Do Nintendo not background check for this nonsense? It's The Last Night all over again.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"statutory rape? new SJW term?" might be the grossest thing ive seen someone post online in a bit

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Really appreciate you posting this OP. Good reminder that this dev is an absolutely disgusting and vile "human"

I have had this game blocked on Steam when I saw the original Era thread. Fuck this chud

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Thanks for the info. Had seen good things about the game so I was curious but this is gonna be a hard pass then.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Holy smokes. 'Yikes' is putting things very lightly it seems.

Satisfactory always seemed like the more approachably fun-looking game of the two anyway so I'll give that a shot most likely.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. Thanks for the warning, OP, I had no idea about this and was planning on getting the game.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
That game didn't look like my kind of thing anyway but I know I'll definitely keep ignoring it now. What an awful person.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
jfc. Factorio always interested me but now I'm not so inclined to play it...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot that I looked at his Reddit account when I saw this posted about the first time.

I got curious and took a look. He primarily posts about Factorio and so there isn't enough off topic for it really to get him in trouble. Although he did respond to a now deleted post by ranting about how weird it is that America claims to be a free country but you can't get naked in front of your kids.

Granted, I don't know what the deleted post is so maybe it made more sense in context.

He's also in the Factorio Reddit right now saying that he doesn't fit into the American left/right spectrum and linking the Wikipedia page for Ron Paul as an example.

Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to keep your fucking mouth shut. And he'll claim to be the victim of "cancel culture" too after feeling the need to defend rape and all that other shit.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. All relevant parties distributing his game should be made well aware for the sake of full disclosure in who they're supporting.

Good luck, fucko.

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, that's a whole lot. I already wasn't interested in the game so it's a easy skip.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
He dug deep for that statutory rape thing didn't he?
It's safe to assume it's actually rape…since it's illegal EVERYWHERE. And a child, yes a child since it's statutory, cannot make informed decisions about sex so…fuck you and your game and your studio you pedo mother fucker.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never played this game due to the ugly aesthetic but this is magnitudes way more awful and I'll never play a game made by kovarex.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Man, I'd forgotten about this. Thanks for the reminder.

His apologists can miss me with their "cancel culture" garbage -- you just know these are the same bigots screaming about "groomers".

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking "I don't want to see any more gay movies. I've seen enough" is a harmless position to take.

Like… why would someone ever offer up that statement unless they had an issue with 'gay movies'? How many of these generically gay movies are there for this hypothetical person to be fatigued?

Such a shit, nonsensical strawman.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Man came out of nowhere to argue about the definition of statutory rape.

Also... how is "I don't want to see any more gay movies. I've seen enough" an actual thought someone would have. The only way you see queer films is if you look for them.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks for reminding me. During the conference, I was like "There were a bunch of these factory games popping up, and one of them was made by a scumbag. Is this that one?"

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Good thing my interest in this game was absolutely miniscule. Easy pass.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I remember these comments. Super disappointing but also depressingly common among a certain kind of libertarian tech worker. Anyone remember James Damore? No? Good.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking "I don't want to see any more gay movies. I've seen enough" is a harmless position to take.

Like… why would someone ever offer up that statement unless they had an issue with 'gay movies'? How many of these generically gay movies are there for this hypothetical person to be fatigued?

Such a shit, nonsensical strawman.
"I just don't want their agenda shoved down my throat!!!!!!!!"

*meanwhile, two same-sex people share a blink-and-you'll-miss-it peck on the cheek 90 yards into the background*

Like, I WISH these movies with gay characters being openly gay actually existed. At best we get the faintest reference or wink and a nod more often than not that Disney can cleanly edit out for China/Russia.

But yes shoved down their throat and all. Nevermind that actual gay people have had no qualms witnessing hetero content somehow even though it's in 99% of all media.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good one for putting this out there again. Dude is a chud through and through.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He dug deep for that statutory rape thing didn't he?
It's safe to assume it's actually rape…since it's illegal EVERYWHERE. And a child, yes a child since it's statutory, cannot make informed decisions about sex so…fuck you and your game and your studio you pedo mother fucker.
This is really a different topic, I guess, but I imagine that some countries might still be behind on this legally. Like in France there's been a huge resistance to age of consent laws, and you can see articles from 2018 about how they're creating their first statutory rape laws. I don't think this guy's country was that far behind, but it's not unthinkable that there's similar organized attempts to normalize pedophilia elsewhere which just haven't developed the same influence yet (and hopefully stay that way).

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking to myself "Is this the one with that horrible director, or am I thinking of another in the same genre?" during the Direct, and this thread reassured my memory. Thanks for putting it out for other to know.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Certified 'yikes' moment

Do Nintendo not background check for this nonsense? It's The Last Night all over again.
This is the same company that allowed racist stereotypes to seep their way into Smash & continues to employ the likes of Karen Strassman, so this shithead slipping through sadly doesn't surprise me.

But yeah, fuck Factorio. Nintendo shouldn't have given them a platform.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
This is really a different topic, I guess, but I imagine that some countries might still be behind on this legally. Like in France there's been a huge resistance to age of consent laws, and you can see articles from 2018 about how they're creating their first statutory rape laws. I don't think this guy's country was that far behind, but it's not unthinkable that there's similar organized attempts to normalize pedophilia elsewhere which just haven't developed the same influence yet (and hopefully stay that way).
The age of consent in most of Europe is 16. For some reason in the Vatican it is 18.
Other have it at 14.
Strictly going by the definition of the term this isn't pedophilia since it only applies for pre-puberty and with age 16 and in most cases even 14 you've left this stage.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I played and loved Factorio before finding out about any of this. It's deleted now, and it won't be coming back. Too many great games are being made by non-terrible people to waste my time with this.