• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It still feels like it's playing mind games.

Do they not teach cursive writing in school any more?

I mean just look at the thing. A backwards G is obviously not a real letter but that looks like a backwards G. The topic isn't asking if you said it Gisney it's asking if you saw the old rendition of the company name as having a weird backwards G where the D should be. It's obviously a D when you look at it but it also obviously looks like a backwards capital letter G. Just look at Bleen's post where they flipped the image. When mirrored, the D becomes a G because of the way it's stylized.

Or is this some kind of reverse FedEx arrow where some people have always seen the D as a D and are only now waking up to the fact it's designed like a backwards G?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
As a child I recognized that it was so supposed to be evocative of a signature, and that the extra flourishments in the D did not turn it into a backwards G.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
It's based on his signature, which is a stylized cursive D. He was a creative guy, he had a creative signature that grew over time to what we see now as the logo.

main-qimg-0df39802321a3854ffde72c51f73f54c-c

main-qimg-a6562deb817d701df2a2786dff8c10c6-c

You can even see him write the D with his own hand here in this video, you can see he even adds a funky underline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FRpJZWhxso&t=17m49s

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Gisnep for me. For some reason, as a kid I thought it was a foreign company with weird pronunciation that made "Gisnep," "Disney" when spoken. XD

I want to say I was in middle school when I realized it was just a stylized "D" and "y," and I felt dumb for not seeing it sooner.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I did not remotely recognize it as a D, but I somehow knew it represented D in some abstract way I couldn't quite grasp.

I also didn't understand how this was "The Bay" (much clearer than the Disney D, I'll admit). I see it now, but y'know.
Bay%20logo%20Eng.jpg

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I thought all the people calling him Walt Gizz-ney were just being crass. Turns out they were just confused...

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I never once in my life even came close to thinking it was a G. I didn't realize this was common. While it isn't a cursive D, I wonder if most of you weren't taught cursive in school in general so it looks weird?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it looked more like a lowercase d. I know it's a D, but in my head it's a d.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as a kid, I knew it said Disney, but it couldn't register in my head that the first letter was supposed to be a D.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I have always been a fan of Disney font.
I was going to say this but thought people would think I was weird, thank you for being braver than I. I've always thought the cleaned up version of his handwriting is really pleasant, glad I'm not the only one haha.

Cursive is evil shit
It is!

Lol I never once in my life even came close to thinking it was a G. I didn't realize this was common. While it isn't a cursive D, I wonder if most of you weren't taught cursive in school in general so it looks weird?
I was absolutely taught cursive in school (I posted something similar to the worksheets I remember from 1st grade, I hated them) so I never thought it was a cursive D, but I am able to see it as both a stylized D and a backwards G. Disney just happened to have a signature style where, when cleaned up and made into a logo, his D's look like backwards G's. If you flip it it's identical to a handwritten G:

befunky_disney-logo-2.jpg

You fucks are all lysdexic.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I used to think it was just a symbol that meant Disney. Technically that's what it actually is. At the time I thought it was kind of in the same vein as the symbols at the start of sheet music. I've met like two other people who agreed they never saw it as the "D". It most definitely is and an idealised version of Disney's signature but even now I have to think about it to see it as d.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought it was a backwards G. Always thought it represented a D, but didn't see that it actually was a D for a long time.

Now that dot above the 'i' always used to look like a skull to me.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks weird because I was taught cursive. Like, it doesn't look like cursive D at all and the rest of the letters are not even in cursive.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I had the same problem with a grocery store called Dominion.

EfqttgU.jpg

I had to force myself to see it as a D.

Yes. I did not remotely recognize it as a D, but I somehow knew it represented D in some abstract way I couldn't quite grasp.

I also didn't understand how this was "The Bay" (much clearer than the Disney D, I'll admit). I see it now, but y'know.
Bay%20logo%20Eng.jpg
Thread of hideous old Canadian retail logos.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I always knew it was a D.... I had no idea people thought it was a G??
I don't think it's that people thought it was a G, it's that they thought it was a D that looked like a backwards G. Everyone knew it was Disney, nobody was thinking it was "Gisney" like I've seen suggested, the D just look like a backwards G because of Walt's handwriting.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as i kid i didn't know what the fuck that D was but i was like "whatever. that spells out 'disney'... somehow"

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I worked at Disney for 5 years and this is the first I've ever heard of the G thing. Always been a D for me.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious what the average age is of folks thinking it's a G is. I always just saw it as a stylized D. And for folks bringing up gifs of cursive writing, how much cursive handwriting have you seen in your life? Cursive just means the letters are joined together, it's not a monolithic style.

Prior to personal computers and email being so prolific, it was very common for people to develop their own 'fonts' in their handwriting, and not just ape what they learned in school. I always just assumed that was how Walt wrote his last name.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
WTF is this thread

Never ever looked at that logo and thought g. I mean, it's completely the wrong way round to be a g. You'd have to look at it in a mirror to think it was a g.

Was taught how to read handwriting, I guess.

Edit: LOL at the timing of the post below me
Was thinking the same thing, this thread is weird.

Never saw it as a backwards G, always looked liike a D to me, just written by someone that didn't lift their hand fast enough.