• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Same. Didn't see it as a D until it occurred to me how strange that fucking G thing was and why was it there?

It definitely consumes the entire logo by its presence.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Fascinating. Never saw it as a backwards G and it's really weird to see how someone could. It's awesome how visual perceptions work.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely not. A cursive D has a little tail, the Disney D has a swirly loop that hooks back into it.

Yep, I thought it was a backwards G too, always confused the hell out of me but I just accepted it

I hate to break this to you but if you've been writing cursive D's like that you've been doing it wrong

cursive-handwriting-third-grade.png

Edit: Found a better example with it in context!

Ok, then it's a stylized cursive D.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Cursive (also known as script, longhand or joined-up writing, among other names[note 1]) is any style of penmanship in which some characters are written joined together in a flowing manner, generally for the purpose of making writing faster.
yicFuu3.jpg

look at those joined letters. (it's not cursive)

if anything it's written in stylized block capitals (i and y excepted)

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Its a D, its not even a backwards G, and if it was it wouldnt make it a G. Were yall not taught cursive?
Did you read the thread? Not only is this not about cursive, with examples of what proper cursive Ds look like posted, but examples of the D mirrored have been posted twice now. It looks like a stylized G when you flip it. Which means when it's facing the normal way, it looks like a backwards G. It is the letter D, nobody is disputing that, but the way Walt's handwriting looks when cleaned up into a logo makes the D look like a stylized backwards G.

As Scrooge McDuck pointed out, it looks weird because we know what a cursive D is meant to look like. The logo D looks nothing like a normal cursive D. When he actually signed his name, Walt wrote in proper cursive:

But he also signed it with a stylized letter "D" under his signature, examples of which have been posted as well. That D looks like a stylized backwards G when cleaned up and turned into a logo.

Edit: Man I kinda hate the way Era does image quoting

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious what the average age is of folks thinking it's a G is. I always just saw it as a stylized D. And for folks bringing up gifs of cursive writing, how much cursive handwriting have you seen in your life? Cursive just means the letters are joined together, it's not a monolithic style.

Prior to personal computers and email being so prolific, it was very common for people to develop their own 'fonts' in their handwriting, and not just ape what they learned in school. I always just assumed that was how Walt wrote his last name.

I also looked at that D and just thought "oh, Walt Disney wrote his 'D' weirdly." However, I take umbrage at people here who smugly went "were you not taught cursive" because it simply isn't. Even if you take account of different writing style.

I mean, the point of cursive is to write with a continuous flow, which you can't do with that D, let alone the rest of the word. Cursive doesn't mean "swirly letters", you know.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This thread is just a parody, right?

It's a stylized D, in the style of a swiftly stroked signature. How are so many brains glossing over that to infer some sort of backward G (that also doesn't even look like a G lol)?!

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I did not remotely recognize it as a D, but I somehow knew it represented D in some abstract way I couldn't quite grasp.

I also didn't understand how this was "The Bay" (much clearer than the Disney D, I'll admit). I see it now, but y'know.
Bay%20logo%20Eng.jpg
Is this the logo of a cancelled PS2 action RPG

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's a really odd cursive D. I can see where the confusion comes from and it doesn't help itself there at all. It does look like a backwards G.

I can't say I ever noticed this before, or paid close attention to it, but you aren't wrong.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I also looked at that D and just thought "oh, Walt Disney wrote his 'D' weirdly." However, I take umbrage at people here who smugly went "were you not taught cursive" because it simply isn't. Even if you take account of different writing style.

I mean, the point of cursive is to write with a continuous flow, which you can't do with that D, let alone the rest of the word. Cursive doesn't mean "swirly letters", you know.

Except some of the "were you not taught cursive" folks are the same ones saying it looks like a G.

I wonder if the folks struggling grew up reading more typed stuff than handwritten stuff, and their only exposure to cursive was in a school setting.

BuryAllen

Oct 28, 2017
fixed
lp07FGL.jpg

oH7ijs7.jpg

more 6 than G to me
Walt 61isney
Walt 16isney

never saw it as a G
to see a G you have to ignore this whole fucking thing here
4Q9CCSp.jpg

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Except some of the "were you not taught cursive" folks are the same ones saying it looks like a G.

I wonder if the folks struggling grew up reading more typed stuff than handwritten stuff, and their only exposure to cursive was in a school setting.

Whether it looks like a G or not has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, though. I'm just saying that the "D" is not cursive. Not stylized cursive; not cursive by other methods of writing.

Like, these are cursive D, even if they're written in a different way and don't resemble each other.

zTZC3B7.png

You can write those with one, flowing stroke.

But the Disney "D" can only be written with two strokes. If that's cursive, it's a bad one that's missing the point!

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

The "Walt Disney" logo that this infernal D is from is not cursive. The "Walt Disney" handwriting from the beginning of their feature films [which I posted in my last post] is cursive. Also, what Scrooge said ^^

No,

2YbRewb.jpg

now it's fixed.

Last edited:

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Same as OP. I was early 20s when I actually processed that is was a fancy D and not some strange character. Always thought it looked like a weird G.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I still can't see it as a D. like, I CAN see it, and I know it is a D, but I didn't realize it until I was a teenager for sure, and it just doesn't look like one in passing to me.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
To everybody saying they didnt realise it was a "D" until recently, didnt the "isney" part give it away? Did you guys completely ignore the other letters? Or did yall think for some weird reason the Disney logo is written as Gisney?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
To this day I have to force myself to see it as a D. Always saw it as a backwards G as well.

Ha, yep. You've broken the brains of generations of children, Gisnep.

To everybody saying they didnt realise it was a "D" until recently, didnt the "isney" part give it away? Did you guys completely ignore the other letters? Or did yall think for some weird reason the Disney logo is written as Gisney?

It's like, I knew it was 'Disney', but it just didn't look like 'Disney'? So my brain symbol associated the 'Gisney' logo with Disney.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, yep. You've broken the brains of generations of children, Gisnep.

It's like, I knew it was 'Disney', but it just didn't look like 'Disney'? So my brain symbol associated the 'Gisney' logo with Disney.

So it's like, imagine if instead of "The Artist Formally Known As Prince", he had spelled his name [symbol]RINCE. You would read it as "Prince" but that first letter sure as heck ain't like any normal "P" you've seen before.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I had the same experience as a kid, like you OP. I even thought one of the Wonderful World of Reading logos had a backwards G in Disney. It still haunts me today, lol.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who think that D is weird have never used a pen to write anything worthwhile.

It literally shows the motions of a liquid pen.

The "Walt Disney" logo that this infernal D is from is not cursive. The "Walt Disney" handwriting from the beginning of their feature films [which I posted in my last post] is cursive. Also, what Scrooge said ^^

No,

2YbRewb.jpg

now it's fixed.

Fix the t, and the I dot, and the s, and the y.

you're better than this.

Shit the D in that fixed version still shows the inkship on the top left.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the smug posts are hilarious to me. It's truly not that important to take such a smug stance on the way people (in this case, mostly kids that didn't know cursive during the time) viewed someone else's handwriting.

Edit: Like posts like this...

People who think that D is weird have never used a pen to write anything worthwhile.

Come on lol. It's not that serious at all.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh no.
Funny to see so many people having the same experience though.
Always looked like a Free drawn D to me.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I saw it as a backwards G for the longest time and didn't understand it. Like the OP, I thought it was some funky thing adults understood, but I wasn't hip to. I still see the G first, and it still bothers me that no one at Disney ever corrected it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really obviously, but when I was a kid I always saw the Disney logo as starting with some weird backwards G treble cleff hybrid thing. I assumed it was some fancy ass cursive that I wasn't hip to yet and didn't question it. I was probably middle school age before I even realized it was really just a D with a little swirl.

disney_logo.jpg

Did this happen to anyone else?
Yes! It took me years and years and years to realize it really was a D all along. I always saw it as a backwards G too.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This "Gisney" thing pops up every few years and I just don't get it. It very obviously says "Disney" in stylized handwriting. Why the fuck would you think it's a G? It's the most well-known name in mass media probably ever. Like I get thinking it looks kinda like a backwards G but you always get people who claim they thought it actually WAS a G and that makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
This "Gisney" thing pops up every few years and I just don't get it. It very obviously says "Disney" in stylized handwriting. Why the fuck would you think it's a G? It's the most well-known name in mass media probably ever. Like I get thinking it looks kinda like a backwards G but you always get people who claim they thought it actually WAS a G and that makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
Nobody thought it was an actual G. Nobody thought it read "Gisney". Nobody thought a Backwards G was a new letter that made the same sound as a D. We all knew the word was Disney, we just recognized that the D is screwy since it's Walt's stylized handwriting makes it look like a backwards G.

It literally shows the motions of a liquid pen.

Fix the t, and the I dot, and the s, and the y.

you're better than this.

Shit the D in that fixed version still shows the inkship on the top left.
All I did was fix the D to look like the letter D and not a backwards G, which is what the entire thread is about. I don't need to fix the rest of his loopy handwriting because all of the other letters actually resemble the letter they're meant to and the thread isn't about the rest of the letters. The person I was quoting's "fix" didn't actually fix it in a way that made it resemble the letter D. I just got rid of the unnecessary flourish that's the source of all the confusion. Apparently Walt was a fan of Junji Ito.

Also, Walt himself, with an ink pen, wrote his name like this:

Walt_Disney_1942.png

Which looks nothing at all like the D in the stylized Disney logo. Even the crazy "D" he puts under his name has little resemblance to the actual letter or the logo.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I always saw that as a D, but when I was a kid I read it as "Disnep". I thought the "p" was silent