• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you planning to buy?

• I already have it preordered

Votes: 256 16.1%
  • I'll be buying day one or within the first few days

Votes: 201 12.6%
  • I'll be waiting to see how the community reacts

Votes: 305 19.1%
  • I'll buy only at a decent or deep discount

Votes: 343 21.5%
  • No desire to buy at any point

Votes: 582 36.5%

• Total voters

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I really did enjoy the demo, there's something about the way the game feels that I just like. It's kinda mindless and always has something going on. But between Anthem (which I'm waiting to see what the reaction for that is) and DMC5 coming out in the same time frame I'll have to make some decisions.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm already committed, and her name is Destiny. I can only dive deep in one of these types of games one at a time.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately no, I already put my ball in the Anthem court so hopefully I bet on the right game.

Division 2 just doesn't look as interesting as Div 1 did to me anyway.

Curious to see what the 3 month and 6 month sales look like for both games. If one flops there might be a huge pick up of players at that mark.

I've preordered D2 since I got a solid sale deal but I'm a little more skeptical on Anthem. I'm going to try it on Origin Access and see if I enjoy but I wasn't sold on the beta.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Day 1, the first Division was the best multiplayer experience I ever had.

CMDBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield
I enjoyed the demo, what bit I played of it. I mean, I've got no choice in buying it or not, I got it free with my GPU so that's something nice. Looking forward to it.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed the demo and it feels solid. Funny enough, I am more excited to play Anthem over this. It's probably just the new factor of Anthem. The open world portions of Division felt great.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I have no intention of buying it - but I plan to start Division 1 with a friend soon and this is mostly down to this beta. It was definitely significantly more enjoyable than Anthem, but it is still not really my genre. I will have mostly the same experience for 5ā‚¬ instead of 60 and with a, in my opinion, stronger, more atmospheric setting.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Curious to see what the 3 month and 6 month sales look like for both games. If one flops there might be a huge pick up of players at that mark.

I've preordered D2 since I got a solid sale deal but I'm a little more skeptical on Anthem. I'm going to try it on Origin Access and see if I enjoy but I wasn't sold on the beta.

Im used to the growing pains of these service games and I think Anthem will be ok.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case someone's interested, I got a code from buying an AMD CPU recently.

Willing to sell it for 50$, let me know via PM, this is a north american AMDreward code by the way.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
You saw two main missions. How on earth can you say those elements are non-existent when we saw so little of the campaign?

The beta was a vertical slice of what they got to offer. There was nothing of the sort in those 2 missions (and all the side missions and all the content), so it shows it clearly wasn't a focus of development. It'll end up as window-dressing. This is also how it was in the Division 1 and nothing seems to have changed in that department.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Beta made me realize I missed the Division gameplay loop. Map feels very fresh and packed with things to do.. I'm strongly considering pre-ordering.

Can't believe it's been 3 years since the release of the first game.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm on the fence right now.

The game is good but it look and feel more like a giant expansion and not a complete new game. (Similar to destiny 2)

Also the location is bland and not interesting compared with the first game.

With the first game i was bored after the first month, so i really don't know...

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
The beta was a vertical slice of what they got to offer. There was nothing of the sort in those 2 missions (and all the side missions and all the content), so it shows it clearly wasn't a focus of development. It'll end up as window-dressing. This is also how it was in the Division 1 and nothing seems to have changed in that department.

So you're going to dismiss the entire game based on two missions and a handful of side quests. Got it, your loss.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I enjoyed the atmosphere more than the last one. I should be in day one, unless anthem somehow blows me away. Also ran really well on my pc, especially for a beta.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Loved the first Division, and I always planned on getting Division 2 later in the year when the gold edition dropped down to $60. After playing the beta, I'm planning on getting the gold edition at launch. It's a lot of fun and improves on quite a bit from the first game. The new darkzone stuff seems awesome. I'm really excited for the game.

I like the new armor stuff, both with the player and enemies. I also wasn't sure how I'd feel about the setting as I loved snowy NYC, but I do like DC in the summer. The architecture is more interesting and unique, and I like how you aren't just looking at skycrapers everywhere. Plus the first time rain rolled in, I thought it was gorgeous. I'm hoping they do another survival type expansion, but instead of an intense snow storm it's like a hurricane is hitting or something like that.

Last edited:

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
I got a friend beta key, and it was certainly enjoyable, but I was mostly playing it to tide me over until Anthem releases..

Being quite honest, if Anthem wasn't right around the corner, I'd very likely pick it up day one, just because running around with a sniper rifle and LMG was really fun

Monkeynuts

Jan 17, 2019
i can only handle 1 gaas type game and Destiny has that covered for me. i played division 1 and it never really clicked with me either.

hope it does well though, strong competition is always a good thing

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
If i end up passing on Anthem after my 10 hours of EA Access are up, i'll probably pick up The Division 2. The beta didn't exactly wow me, but my friends enjoyed it more than Anthem, so I'd consider it for that reason.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
The combat and overall mechanics are really repetitive, highlighted by the Endgame mission, which was somewhat fun (because it was challenging), but basically the same thing as normal missions. I feel like I've seen everything this game has to offer in 2-3h of the Beta.

Without strong worldbuilding, characters or narrative to fall back on (these elements are practically non-existent), there's nothing to entice me to play the game.

The world building is fantastic in Div1 - yet to see it in Div2 so no comment there.
The environmental story telling is top tier imo.
The world building is also contained in the echos, discover-able mobile phones and such; sure you might not appreciate those, but they are there, very well voiced and tell a compelling story.

I also found combat to contain decent depth particularly compared to what's on / coming to market. A decent variety of enemies with alternate AI routines requiring players to react and shift focus to combat each. A variety of personal weapons to switch up combat roles and your approach to combat scenarios.

I could go on but you get the picture :)

GraceflAnger

Nov 17, 2017
I loved The Division. Put a large amount of hours into it on Xbox One and PS4. Id say I played about 4 hours of the beta between Thursday and Friday. As of now I am very hesitant if I will buy it on release day. I realize it was only a beta, but the little bit of story we got and the overall world didn't impress me. There was something about New York City in the middle of winter that just screamed end of civilized society, and fit so well with what was going on. I really enjoyed the world in the first Division and so far 2 isn't doing much for me.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
It'll depend heavily on how invested my friend group is in anthem at the D2 launch if I buy it day 1 or claim I'll buy it on sale and never do. None on my friends list was on the beta this weekend either and that's a big strike against my getting it.

Ultimately I did play the beta this weekend and was unimpressed. It was basically the last game in a new city with a couple of tweaks. It's fun but I got so burned on the terrible roll out of the dark zone last game that I'm not going to run to this game without really good reason. It's beginning to look like I really don't have one.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
So you're going to dismiss the entire game based on two missions and a handful of side quests. Got it, your loss.

No. I said I find the gameplay too repetitive. Worldbuilding/story is often a saving grace for me, but I don't find evidence of it here. If, at a later date, I see there's focus on these, I will gladly revisit my decision.

The world building is fantastic in Div1 - yet to see it in Div2 so no comment there.
The environmental story telling is top tier imo.
The world building is also contained in the echos, discover-able mobile phones and such; sure you might not appreciate those, but they are there, very well voiced and tell a compelling story.

I also found combat to contain decent depth particularly compared to what's on / coming to market. A decent variety of enemies with alternate AI routines requiring players to react and shift focus to combat each. A variety of personal weapons to switch up combat roles and your approach to combat scenarios.

I could go on but you get the picture :)

The first Division barely had a story. Someone releases a virus, chaos reigns, you're sent to mop up. This sums up most of it. The eco-terrorist malthusian thread is interesting, but is not explored, both plot-wise and moral-wise. There's really no feeling of the plot moving forward too, the story is too slavishly bound to the game progression. It, and all the characters, don't elicit any emotions.

Re: environmental storytelling, it is there, but it is mostly one-note and it runs into the problem Fallout 76 has been criticized for (rightly so). All those stories already happened, those people are dead and their stories don't inform the main storyline. In other words, there's no reason to care.

The combat does what it can within the limits the game set upon itself with the setting. You can see them trying to expand on it with the drones and robot dogs, you can feel it with the unrealistic berserker goons and grenade-happy lobbers, but, for me, it's still too little to support a living service loot game.

Anyway, the thread asks how our experience translates to our interest in the game and this is what I got from the Beta (and Division 1).

EDIT: IMO, Ubisoft missed a trick here, not making the Division a G.I.Joe game. That would open up the game in the gameplay and storytelling departments.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Played on PC yesterday, everything is so dull, from the environments, story, gameplay, I didn't even finish the beta because I was so bored with it. I keep hearing how much things have changed over the original but I just don't see it, maybe if you were a hardcore Division player but outside of that almost nothing has changed, feels more like an expansion or DLC than a sequel.

Definitely skipping it.

Dec 28, 2017
I bought ultimate edition on psn and after playing the beta I'm starting to have second thoughts about the game. I was hoping that they will not make the same mistake that Bungie did with destiny 2. Don't change something that works only for the love of changing because it's new iteration of the game.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I had a lot of fun, and my most recent experience with a game in this kind of genre/style was Wildlands which I ended up revisiting and completing the story.
I felt like there was kind of a lot thrown at me immediately in the beginning but I got the hang of it.

I plan on waiting for a discount personally since I have way too many other games to hit first.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
Compared to it's peers, the title lacks in both traversal mechanics and setting. And even the traversal problem is largely due to the setting.

However, I still like it - fast travel takes a few seconds, no loading screens, settlements seem to fit well, the UI isn't that bad (e.g. anthem) and the world feels alive.

I'm happy with my preorder, but I'll probably bail rather than stick around for the end-game. This a repetitive genre, and using a real-world setting simply amplifies that.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% all in. I loved the original The Division and The Division 2 simply looks better in every way. Didn't play the private beta and simply don't need to as I know what im getting. An awesome 80+ hours of a shooting cover based RPG with a 40 hour story. Hell yeah!!! I'm ready.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Division 1, Division 2 is mostly more of the same with a bit of expansion. I'm in since I feel like there wasn't a need to really change much.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I would like an open beta for me to try, right now I don't know if I'll get it, I do like the shiny new toy feel of Anthem, but of course waiting on that as well (tried the beta, thought it was good just loading was trash).

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
No. I said I find the gameplay too repetitive. Worldbuilding/story is often a saving grace for me, but I don't find evidence of it here. If, at a later date, I see there's focus on these, I will gladly revisit my decision.

The first Division barely had a story. Someone releases a virus, chaos reigns, you're sent to mop up. This sums up most of it. The eco-terrorist malthusian thread is interesting, but is not explored, both plot-wise and moral-wise. There's really no feeling of the plot moving forward too, the story is too slavishly bound to the game progression. It, and all the characters, don't elicit any emotions.

Re: environmental storytelling, it is there, but it is mostly one-note and it runs into the problem Fallout 76 has been criticized for (rightly so). All those stories already happened, those people are dead and their stories don't inform the main storyline. In other words, there's no reason to care.

The combat does what it can within the limits the game set upon itself with the setting. You can see them trying to expand on it with the drones and robot dogs, you can feel it with the unrealistic berserker goons and grenade-happy lobbers, but, for me, it's still too little to support a living service loot game.

Anyway, the thread asks how our experience translates to our interest in the game and this is what I got from the Beta (and Division 1).

EDIT: IMO, Ubisoft missed a trick here, not making the Division a G.I.Joe game. That would open up the game in the gameplay and storytelling departments.

I guess we approached the game somewhat differently. To me, discovering what happened before was interesting to me, a discovery. It fed into the atmosphere of the game. I figure you would want that but for it to grow further; to see progression within that. Perhaps 2 will address this.

Curious what you mean by G. I. Joe. Barely remember that toy from childhood!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Just like every other game involved in a store exclusivity deal on pc, I won't buy it. Plenty of other games to play.

Oct 27, 2017
I found it to be just as bland and uninspired as the first game. Never buying. Still better than Anthem though, but all of them including Destiny now take a back seat to Apex.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Got the digital gold edition preordered on Xbox but that was before I even tried the beta. The beta only confirmed my choice.

I have over 300 hours into the first game and playing the beta on my X(which ran great for the most part) only confirmed I will put more time into this one.

Don't bother, I'm seeing a lot of preconceived notions about TD2 and people ignoring how much the first game improved.

Agreed.

People just saying it's more of the same are clueless. I put so many hours into the first, playing the beta I could see and feel the changes. The division from launch to where it ended after all the updates changed the game for the better.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If other people I know pick it up, I'll think about it. Right now it's a wait and see. I did enjoy the only mission I ended up doing with some other people (in an atrium) but right now I'm just still going through a few games and honestly just really enjoying any time I get with Apex Legends.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I guess we approached the game somewhat differently. To me, discovering what happened before was interesting to me, a discovery. It fed into the atmosphere of the game. I figure you would want that but for it to grow further; to see progression within that. Perhaps 2 will address this.

Curious what you mean by G. I. Joe. Barely remember that toy from childhood!

Maybe it would, if not for the realistic setting of the game. You're in a gang-infested post-epidemic NY, there's really not a lot of mystery to these audio logs.

G.I.Joe? I was just thinking that it was close enough to reality to have everything the Division has (realistic guns, setting, terrorists), while at the same time has enough fantasy/sf to allow for more varied gameplay (through gadgets and abilities etc) and justify more outlandish storylines and characters. Just musing.