• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018

Every console and PC tested in one sitting. The Division 2 scales wonderfully across every console with 30fps cap in mind, while PC has its own extras to boast about - including improved light shafts, shadows, ambient occlusion and more. The only point holding the consoles back at launch is the obvious texture pop-in, and AI glitches.

X1 = dynamic res 1080p with the lowest dip to 936p, 30fps most of the time but 29fps in smoke effects

PS4 = locked 1080p, locked 30fps in areas tested

PS4 pro =dynamic resolution 3456x1944 to 2458x1382 uses a reconstruction technique, 30fps locked in all areas tested

X1X = dynamic res however DF Did not find a res lower then 3840x2160, locked 30fps in every area tested

• Lower res reflection meshes on x1 + ps4
  • Texture and object pop in is an issue on all platforms but not PC with ssd
  • PC + x1 is 43gb
  • ps4 is 89gb
  • A. I is often erratic and plain goofy
  • X1X has 8k sky boxes

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Let me guess, base PS4/XBO is a disgusting piece of shit with textures never loading, and consoles crashing when it can't handle all the information (?) on screen, dropping to 5fps or less? Because that's what I've been experiencing on base PS4.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Let me guess, base PS4/XBO is a disgusting piece of shit with textures never loading, and consoles crashing when it can't handle all the information (?) on screen, dropping to 5fps or less? Because that's what I've been experiencing on base PS4.

Going over the performance analysis, according to them all versions seem to be holding 30fps really well. Resolution is dropped rather than frames, and there's the chance for screen tearing if things get really stressful, but they all do a really good job holding onto that 30fps, even the base Xbox One.

But since you say you have been experiencing drops, they might have missed some stress point where the performance dips.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lighting in this game seems like a massive improvement over Div 1 on PC. I'm catching myself admiring the scenery a lot as I walk around DC.

Runs great too. Props to Ubi / Massive.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Going over the performance analysis, according to them all versions seem to be holding 30fps really well. Resolution is dropped rather than frames, and there's the chance for screen tearing if things get really stressful, but they all do a really good job holding onto that 30fps, even the base Xbox One.

But since you say you have been experiencing drops, they might have missed some crucial stress point where the performance dips.
Looking at the video, they honestly just covered the first 30 minutes of the game, which is very linear and controlled. The game looks bizarre once you travel deep into the game world. They've Mentioned but skimmed over texture loading as an afterthought that can be fixed in a patch. It's really bad and completely destroyed any immersion you want to create. Add floating enemies/NPCs and stuck characters, and you got yourself a Ubisoft stew.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Looking at the video, they honestly just covered the first 30 minutes of the game, which is very linear and controlled. The game looks bizarre once you travel deep into the game world. They've Mentioned but skimmed over texture loading as an afterthought that can be fixed in a patch. It's really bad and completely destroyed any immersion you want to create. Add floating enemies/NPCs and stuck characters, and you got yourself a Ubisoft stew.
I agree with the Texture loading. Once everything is loaded the game is a sight to behold, but a lot of times the texture loading is atrocious visually. I am playing on the X1X

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree with the Texture loading. Once everything is loaded the game is a sight to behold, but a lot of times the texture loading is atrocious visually. I am playing on the X1X

Yea, the texture loading is bad, even on the X1X. It can get distracting. Reminds me of Unreal Engine 3 games last gen.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I do not think it's the "AI" that's the problem there. The AI in Division 2 is phenomenal from what I've seen.

Those erratic behaviour you seen where the AI ends up vaulting over invisible objects and suddenly end up on ground or fly up one level is I believe an issue with the game's animation system instead. The reason I say this is because the behaviour is consistent and the timing it takes for them to a spot from one spot is realistic, it's just that in between the animation system shits the bed at times and there's a skip, a freeze etc.

Also the game has areas that are a LOT more performance intensive later on. Specifically the Dark Zone which is a lot denser and if you get there during dusk/dawn with fog then the performance you get is considerably worse than usual. So I'm not sure if it performs just as well on consoles. Additionally sometimes you can get areas that are several floor deep and all those floors are in view along with a lot of lateral draw distance. There's one control point in particular where there's a big hole that you can look at and it's an entire building in itself, but at the same time you can see everything outside in the open with a lot of things drawn in. That's really is the one with the lowest performance by far of any area in the game. My game averages 60+ FPS almost all the time, but that area it can drop to mid 30s if the ToD and weather is volumetric heavy... Thankfully the only time you get to see that area in that state is when it's a settlement and a non combat zone.

EDIT: This is the area I was talking about. It's control point called "sinkhole".

x4UWrqF.jpg

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, calling out AI is bizarre, as this is in the 1% of loot shooters like this where the AI is actually noticeably very good

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't mind playing games at 30FPS. But The Division is one game where 60FPS and over makes so much of a difference. I played Div 1 on PS4 and didn't finish it, bought it again on PC and played it at high framerate and it just felt so so different and game changing. I think it's because of all the weather effects that look so much better at higher framerate.

Yeah, calling out AI is bizarre, as this is in the 1% of loot shooters like this where the AI is actually noticeably very good
As I said, I think it's an issue with the animation system instead of the AI...which is actually very very good and quite possibly the best we've seen in this genre.
The behaviour is always sensible it's just that when going between point A to point B the animation system can crap out and make it seem visually weird...but it's not often.

Last edited:

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Someone needs to do a deep dive on the resolution scaler the game has on PC. looks fantastic

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Stunning game on PC. Plays so well at 60fps too. Shame there's no performance settings for the half-step consoles to get there.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Would you like to guess again
Nope. The game looks bonkers on base console. I absolutely do not believe this video analyzed anything beyond the first two hours of the game. The texture popping and rendering is so bad, it's actually worse than any previous open world games Ubisoft had released.

Edit: I will add that it gets so bad that talking to NPC will cause the menu text to go all blurry, and game to stutter at single digit fps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
That's called native 4K then.

The game is also advertised as a native 4K game on Xbox One X.

DF say in the video that ubi have stated snowdrop has been overhauled so the 1X can handle other resolutions better.

-----

Can someone help me, I can't remember a word which means to optimise a game engine, anyone know what it is?, thanks x

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any comparisons to the skyboxes? It is pretty low res looking on the pro. Just curious is all. Love the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
From my experience this week on the X, the game has looked great and ran well. My only irritation, which is extremely minor and actually probably working as intended, is the HDR implementation makes it hard to see at times because they do a good job with sun in your eyes, etc. The atmospheric effects should be lauded during weather.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The draw distance can be absolute ridiculous sometimes on the Xbox One X.

But on the other hand, it has some of the highest detailed textures these consoles probably have ever seen.

9B72SfG.png

EDBo2Oq.png

S1mYLyt.png

(The wall is as detailed as the floor if you go closer with the cam)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

But on the other hand, it has some of the highest detailed textures these consoles probably have ever seen.

9B72SfG.png

EDBo2Oq.png

S1mYLyt.png

Very impressive.

But I hate LoD pop-in more than anything, and Ubisoft's games are plagued with it on consoles. I wish they'd make their compromises elsewhere.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

9B72SfG.png

EDBo2Oq.png

S1mYLyt.png

I'm really hoping they built the game with updates to next gen consoles in mind. I would love to be to push the console version up to 60fps.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Took a few screenshots just now on my PS4. Played for around 10 minutes. There's a lot worse texture loading issues that I wasn't able to capture or replicate.

sPW7mlQ.jpg

7K6fCsl.jpg

vK14YfH.jpg

BnG6tvB.jpg

cAQMNDc.jpg

Waiting five or ten seconds for textures to load is ridiculous, no matter how good they are once they're loaded in. Next-gen can't come sooner.

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
The AI can be goofy though, just watch the AI; they do dumb stuff sometimes.

Several, several times I've seen an enemy run around up stairs or up a ledge up to the 2nd floor, only to immediately keep running to jump down the balcony/ledge to where they were just at without doing anything in between. Or vice versa, they'll jump down a ledge only to continue running back where they jumped down from for no reason. It's like they hate being still and just run to run.

When stuff like this isn't happening though, the AI is pretty dang cool and challenging with flanking and rushing you and avoiding grenades thrown their way, etc etc.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did they get any FPS drops on the Pro?

Cause in the first major mission I got to a couple of points where it dropped to single digits.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't mind playing games at 30FPS. But The Division is one game where 60FPS and over makes so much of a difference. I played Div 1 on PS4 and didn't finish it, bought it again on PC and played it at high framerate and it just felt so so different and game changing. I think it's because of all the weather effects that look so much better at higher framerate.

Same here. Tried the first beta on XB1X and didn't enjoy it mainly because of the really sluggish controls.

Tried the second beta on PC and it felt like a different game.

Can't wait to try RDR2 on PC at 60fps as the sluggish controls are what made me quickly mainline the game on the X. Do you think they can improve the controls as much on it versus The Division 2?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Same here. Tried the first beta on XB1X and didn't enjoy it mainly because of the really sluggish controls.

Tried the second beta on PC and it felt like a different game.

Can't wait to try RDR2 on PC at 60fps as the sluggish controls are what made me quickly mainline the game on the X. Do you think they can improve the controls as much on it versus The Division 2?
RDR has straight up input lag due to animations, it will def feel much better as 60fps = half the input lag of 30fps but it will still be more sluggish then other games at the same framerate.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Occasionally AI does some weird stuff and shows signs of being glitchy but on the whole, it's really good.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Seems pretty great on all systems. Needs a few bug fixes and hopefully they sort out the PS4 file size but overall it looks like a very solid game on the technical side.

Jun 1, 2018
Took a few screenshots just now on my PS4. Played for around 10 minutes. There's a lot worse texture loading issues that I wasn't able to capture or replicate.

sPW7mlQ.jpg

7K6fCsl.jpg

vK14YfH.jpg

BnG6tvB.jpg

cAQMNDc.jpg

Waiting five or ten seconds for textures to load is ridiculous, no matter how good they are once they're loaded in. Next-gen can't come sooner.
this is unacceptable even for a ps4 base game