• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
People with data caps or crappy internet this is a really shitty situation. I live fortunate enough to have unlimited 400k down speed.

But I mean it's a multiplayer / always online game and I wouldn't buy those games on disc anymore.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
And of course you'll need a stupid amount of additional free space due to PS4's weird hdd space management.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not everyone has great internet. Also 'high speed' has been used for years to reference DSL, which cannot download such a game in a few hours. Try two days.

Yeah and I can sympathise with them. I'm talking to the guy who has a problem with it but has high speed unlimited internet access.

I agree if you have data cap or slow internet then it's shite.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
No biggie. I'm expecting next gen games to be 100GB minimum BEFORE patches. Already prepared for this. Plenty of space on my PS4 Pro SSD. Can't wait!!!

They won't bloat considerably larger than they are now initially , maybe by the end of the gen but I still doubt it

Not all games are red dead or broken

games like metro, dmc v and re2 all had small sizes for the way they looked / played

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe once more interesting games are released. Non-gimmicky games.

Nintendo is the worst of the three for games right now.
dd790bb509b45b59946576602f7489f3.gif

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was normal? Doesnt the PS4 usually need twice the size to download and install? After it finishes installing, it would go back down to its intended file size.

Oct 26, 2017
Says here the Download for the physical version is 48-52 GB It's the final install that's 90-100 GB
https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubiso...division-2-launch-everything-you-need-to-know

PS4: If you purchased a physical copy of the game, begin installing from the disc. Provided you are online, your console will simultaneously download Title Update 1 while you install it. Expect a 48-52 GB download, depending on your region and preferred language. Whether installed from a disc or downloaded digitally, the final HDD install size, including the patch will be between 90-100 GB.

(Edit)
Additionally, starting March 11, you will be prompted to download and install Title Update 1.5; expect about 2Gb in download, depending on your platform, region and preferred language.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OK, preorder canceled. I won't block the whole downstream for many days just for this fuckup.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devs need to get this bullshit under control. An 80GB day one patch is 100% unacceptable. Especially in a world where we have 2-disc games.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because a) If I buy a physical copy, I don't want to have to download an additional 90GB on top of the install, and b) I have to now juggle 90GB of storage on my console, which on the PS4 means I have to free up ~140-150GB because of how that console's file management works, and c) I only have a 500GB HDD.

It's fucking shit.
don't buy online games meant to be played online and to receive several patches and content throughout its lifetime then?

Oct 27, 2017
Geez and that's the download of an update!

Next gen we will need disc drives for sure to offset stuff like this, hopefully with 100GB UHD BR or 128GB BR XL

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Geez, a lot of games aren't online centric so you can always just get those. Get DMC 5 and Metro Exodus if you haven't.

Didn't like Devil May Cry 4, but DmC was fun. I may play DMC5, but if it's like 4...

Waiting for Exodus to be available at the library. It's on its route to the branch.

Probably will buy RE2, RAGE 2 and one or two others.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

Their exclusives are few and far between, many are gimmicky, and the system is getting a lot of ports. It doesn't get the big third party games most of the time because it can't support or run them because it's gimmicks over power.

I'd only want Zelda, Mario (I own it 'cuz I got it cheap) and maybe Mario + Rabbids. I've beat Zelda. Other games that would interest me are just ports of Wii U games I've already played, that Nintendo put out to mask its continued lack and few and far between approach to/of first party titles.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
If the file size needs to be double so they can repackage the textures in a way to avoid that streaming issue, that's nuts.

What other game has had to do this? Not even The Division 1 right?

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
They gotta find a way to cut these sizes down. I feel bad for people with data caps, I'm lucky I don't have one myself.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
If the file size needs to be double so they can repackage the textures in a way to avoid that streaming issue, that's nuts.

What other game has had to do this? Not even The Division 1 right?

If this the issue, couldn't they just send instructions to copy the affected data, instead of needing to send the same data twice?

don't buy online games meant to be played online and to receive several patches and content throughout its lifetime then?

To be fair, there is a difference between a year old game that continually has received updates, and a day one experience where a game is double in size compared to other platforms.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I have a theory. Doesn't the PS4 need double the space to install anything? On PC and XB1 the file size is 45GB. Double 45 is 90GB. So, I am thinking that the actual download is only 45GB.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd give it to them a year or 2 after release, still annoying, but I'd at least understand. But a day 1 50+ GB patch (even if you have a disc version) can fuck right off though. It's only a couple of hours for me now, but on my old Internet this was a full day. It's absolute shit and shouldn't be acceptable.

Punpun

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
That's insane. It's like developers just gave up on compression because the newer consoles all have at least 500GB available.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Holy shit. Remember when games were 10GB last gen? What happened?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
+90 GB? This gen js ridiculous... Whats the purpose of even having a disk? (Don't answer that)

From my POV absolutely none.

Hence why I've gone full digital this gen.

Pre loaded. Can play on day one, no bullshit

Sucks if you have caps or slow internet but it should clear by now that at average these games are coming in at 45gigs and above for the game and day one patches and updates.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Lazy developer rhetoric
Day 1 patch is the entire game. How does that happen. I think in this case "incompetent/lazy devs" is actually warranted.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Back in my day, you could put a game in your game machine and play it right away. They even included a manual with basic tips and background on the characters.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
At it's best our internet may be able to pull off a download rate of any where from 4 to 6 gigs per day. That haul figure is at it's best. If it's raining, or has been raining , i shit you not, you can shoot that figure into the can. We looking as sub meg speeds, and sporadic service. How often is it not raining, or hasnt' just been raining?

I could get it, the 90 gig game, but it would take quite a while, weeks maybe longer, and while the machine is getting it's bits, everyone else in the family is putting up with slow page loads, if they do even load, for the entire time the download is going on. So if i have a download going, i have to go and put the download on pause if people want to use the internet whenever. And then go check and see when they are done. Then unpause the download and let er rip.

It's a very sad song. Near the bottom. Cry with me?