• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I buy physical for like single player games but these games like destiny and Division, I always go digital.

This obviously isn't a direct reply to you, but...

Of course people still buy physical. What kind of an ignorant comment is that? There's a reason it still exists. What? Do you think everyone lives in a city or new subdivision with gigabit internet?

It's faster to buy the disc, install it off the disc and download the updates (or hopefully lack thereof)

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Day 1 patch is the entire game. How does that happen. I think in this case "incompetent/lazy devs" is actually warranted.

Please if you are going to accuse the devs who have quite obviously put a lot of effort into the game then please explain why? What could they have done differently?

Or maybe they should of all worked 80 hour weeks to get that file size down.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Complete pass on the game, FFS. I have a 1 TB data cap and don't want to use 1/10th on it for a game I bought physically. I was thinking of playing with PS4 friends because I was passing on the PC version due to Epic Game Store nonsense that excludes 3rd party website discounts on pc version after launch.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
At it's best our internet may be able to pull off a download rate of any where from 4 to 6 gigs per day. That haul figure is at it's best. If it's raining, or has been raining , i shit you not, you can shoot that figure into the can. We looking as sub meg speeds, and sporadic service. How often is it not raining, or hasnt' just been raining?

I could get it, the 90 gig game, but it would take quite a while, weeks maybe longer, and while the machine is getting it's bits, everyone else in the family is putting up with slow page loads, if they do even load, for the entire time the download is going on. So if i have a download going, i have to go and put the download on pause if people want to use the internet whenever. And then go check and see when they are done. Then unpause the download and let er rip.

It's a very sad song. Near the bottom. Cry with me?

Seems you would be better of sending your PS4 to a friend/relative with higher bandwidth, let them download the game and ship it back to you...

Edit: not that this is a solution to your problem, just a theoretical reality.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
File size complaining? Really? For people who claim to love videogames you really find a lot to hate about them. Better looking games = more space for the information. More game = more data.
I think it's reasonable for people to complain that the download size on PS4 is almost double the size on other versions. They're not getting double the game, and it's not going to look better on PS4 than on Xbox One X or PC,.

People complain about data caps and a shitty internet conection in threads about streaming but it seems like soon these people will suffer even if they want to go physical. I guess with an almost 100gb download for a physical game we're already there.
Yes, there's going to be a weird period where for some people and for some games, streaming is going to be the most data-cap-friendly option. 100GB gives you approximately 22 hours streaming a game at an overall bitrate of 10 megabits per second. If it's a choice between downloading a 100GB game or streaming it, people with lower data caps might very well pick streaming.

Not everyone has great internet. Also 'high speed' has been used for years to reference DSL, which cannot download such a game in a few hours. Try two days.
Let's be fair please, the term "high speed" has no business being used to refer to DSL. The post you're responding to says that a high speed internet connection will have 90GB downloaded in a few hours and I think that's fair for anyone whose definition of "high speed" is based on what's available nowadays. For anyone with really high-speed internet the bottleneck here is likely to be PSN - although speed varies the highest speed that I see PSN maintain consistently is around 10 megabytes per second (so 80 megabits per second) and that'd result in a 2.5-hour download for this patch.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know why Monster Hunter World is a reasonable size when it looks and sounds so good. Base game is 14gb.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I think it's reasonable for people to complain that the download size on PS4 is almost double the size on other versions. They're not getting double the game, and it's not going to look better on PS4 than on Xbox One X or PC,.

Yes, there's going to be a weird period where for some people and for some games, streaming is going to be the most data-cap-friendly option. 100GB gives you approximately 22 hours streaming a game at an overall bitrate of 10 megabits per second. If it's a choice between downloading a 100GB game or streaming it, people with lower data caps might very well pick streaming.

Let's be fair please, the term "high speed" has no business being used to refer to DSL. The post you're responding to says that a high speed internet connection will have 90GB downloaded in a few hours and I think that's fair for anyone whose definition of "high speed" is based on what's available nowadays. For anyone with really high-speed internet the bottleneck here is likely to be PSN - although speed varies the highest speed that I see PSN maintain consistently is around 10 megabytes per second (so 80 megabits per second) and that'd result in a 2.5-hour download for this patch.

I still see high speed advertised for speeds lower than mine, or thereabouts. All the time.

That's called cable or fiber or gigabit (which I'd give a kidney for).

jml

Mar 9, 2018
File size complaining? Really? For people who claim to love videogames you really find a lot to hate about them. Better looking games = more space for the information. More game = more data.

Not sure what you guys are expecting here. You all better buckle up and brace yourselves because as in-game assets get even more detailed and game worlds get even larger, file sizes will continue to increase in size. You know...pretty much how things have been going for the past 30 years.
I don't like it because I have a data cap. If what you're saying for next gen is true (and it probably will be) and my data cap stays the same then I'll probably turn into an indie-only gamer because I can't really afford to download games that are over 100gb. I already have to ration my game downloads as it is.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I still see high speed advertised for speeds lower than mine, or thereabouts. All the time.
I'm aware that companies are going to want to use the term to apply to their internet connections regardless of how fast they actually are. That doesn't mean that we have to accept their definition of the term as valid. At least in Europe, guidelines for what should be classed as "high speed" are 100 megabits per second and above, and while there's always some subjective wriggle room with relative terms, personally I wouldn't think of anything much lower than that as being "high" speed.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah the ability for you to engage your brain apparently
That would appear to be you in this instance. Initially it seemed like the day one patch was a repackage of the entire game, but now it appears that not only is it that - they are keeping the patch alongside the initial install, effectively doubling the size of the install. This is silly because PS4 has had the ability to do diff patches for ages, so there's no reason for this to be the case.

Basically, the way they have packaged the patch on PS4 is scuffed. Maybe if you had engaged your brain you would have figured that out?

I mean, you can get high speed DSL. I can download 90gb in about 4hrs on my DSL connection, which is OK.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Xbox Scarlett and Ps5 would try to launch with a 500 gig harddrive

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm aware that companies are going to want to use the term to apply to their internet connections regardless of how fast they actually are. That doesn't mean that we have to accept their definition of the term as valid. At least in Europe, guidelines for what should be classed as "high speed" are 100 megabits per second and above, and while there's always some subjective wriggle room with relative terms, personally I wouldn't think of anything much lower than that as being "high" speed.

You're lucky because that's not the case here. The government said we should all have 50mbps as a necessity, but cable and telecom companies basically said fuck you.

I called the cable company and asked them if they could help us out because of that, but they told us that the government didn't give them enough money and basically laughed at me.

If I don't get better Internet or move soon, I'll end up jumping off a cliff or quitting gaming.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Sloppy and untalented devs.
giphy.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be too surprised if the console's day 1 patch would probably take up half that. Can't believe we are getting 100GB games that aren't even 4K in most cases. Next gen a 1TB HDD will probably be too small a couple years in.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Everybody with data caps is welcome to come to my house. Feel free to bring laundry too

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
You're lucky because that's not the case here. The government said we should all have 50mbps as a necessity, but cable and telecom companies basically said fuck you.

I called the cable company and asked them if they could help us out because of that, but they told us that the government didn't give them enough money and basically laughed at me.

If I don't get better Internet or move soon, I'll end up jumping off a cliff or quitting gaming.
I'm aware I'm lucky and I sympathise with anyone who is stuck with poor internet speeds. I've been on the other side of that divide, messing around with dial-up connections that struggled to maintain 33kbps while others were getting ISDN or ADSL.

However I think that's even more of a reason to be selective about how the term "high speed" gets used. If there's general acceptance that something like, say, 10 megabits per second can be counted as "high speed", then when you ask a government or a company to provide "high speed" internet that kind of speed is what they'll target.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 14, 2017
At it's best our internet may be able to pull off a download rate of any where from 4 to 6 gigs per day. That haul figure is at it's best. If it's raining, or has been raining , i shit you not, you can shoot that figure into the can. We looking as sub meg speeds, and sporadic service. How often is it not raining, or hasnt' just been raining?

I could get it, the 90 gig game, but it would take quite a while, weeks maybe longer, and while the machine is getting it's bits, everyone else in the family is putting up with slow page loads, if they do even load, for the entire time the download is going on. So if i have a download going, i have to go and put the download on pause if people want to use the internet whenever. And then go check and see when they are done. Then unpause the download and let er rip.

It's a very sad song. Near the bottom. Cry with me?
Downloads shouldn't interfere with other users on your network, no matter how slow your internet connection. I used to do 300mb downloads of anime fansubs (I am an old skool weeb) on a 56k modem which would literally take a day per episode and it didn't interfere with other users on my network.

You should look into getting a router that works with OpenWRT and configuring SQM Cake to combat the buffer bloat you are most likely experiencing. It's a problem with most modern consumer grade routers because they tend to come with more memory than they really need, and they use it to buffer traffic when they should just drop packets to rate limit connections. When you have it setup you should just be able to leave the downloads running without causing latency or bandwidth issues for other applications on your network.

You will probably still have to pause when it rains though.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
That's wild. People with base PS4s can only have 5 games at this point.

Next gen consoles better have 2TB to start.

US is where a lot of posters live.

I'd be happy with that but a lot of gamers are cheapskates sorry, 'price sensitive' and they'd rather delete a game to make room than pay a bit extra to have a bigger internal HD at launch.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, this is downloading RDR2 all over again lol Downloading this is Rest Mode will hopefully download this in under 2 hours like Red Dead for me.

Good thing I transferred another 200GB of games to my external.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think its pathetic a game needs a titile update on release day. I tend to avoid games that require that because it just shouldn't happen.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I really think manufacturers need to start putting size limits on some of these games.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Something seems off with this. Whole pre-load is only 43GB on Xbox.
Pre-load for digital yes, but physical still needs a 50 gig patch.

Xbox One and PC:
- If you purchased a physical copy of the game, begin by installing the game. You will then be prompted to download and install Title Update 1; expect a 48-52 GB download, depending on your region and preferred language. Whether you installed the game from a disc or bought it digitally, the final HDD install size, including the patch, will be 48-52 GB.

Are they shipping empty discs with just a license key or something?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does not sound right.

Is preload available yet on PS4? I preordered but have no idea.

My internet is pretty shit so games like this I go digital and the time they give you to preload is usually sufficient if I even care to be there day one.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

I was saying before HDD sizes were announced for PS4 and Xbox One that they should be 1TB and 500GB wasn't going to be enough. Next gen is going to need a minimum of 2TB of storage.

That's why I just said fuck it and bought a 4TB external drive.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no thanks.

Easy pass.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Is this one of the reasons why games these days have two release dates? I mean how ridiculous is this? You can't defend this kind of practice or even talk anything good about it. Unless you're getting paid by Ubisoft or are an employee of an internet provider who supports download limits so you have to pay more when exceeding the limits.

If this happens in an age where we don't even have 4K games. We're screwed for next-gen. Downloads will be 250/350GB per game.