• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I opened up Uplay today and found this on the news page.

jSFQg52.png

I tried it even on the Ultimate Edition and it worked too. 20% off is a great deal.

The game is not out yet and it's already discounted if you buy it straight from their store. Ubisoft save 30% by selling their games through Uplay but they're giving most of it to the consumer.

Now this is how you compete with Steam instead of straight up pulling your games from it. You incentivise the consumer into buying from your store instead of forcing them to. Other third party publishers should take notes.

EDIT: Seems like it's not available in the US

Last edited:

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the first game, but im not buying untill i know they have proper anticheat mechanics this time around ( PC )

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Have they actually said it won't get a Steam preorder discount?

Probably will be cheaper still buying a uplay code from elsewhere.

What do you mean about the 30%? If Ubisoft are only getting 30% of the revenue from sales of their games on Uplay, who gets the other 70%?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, besides the fact that the OP screams of some direct-from-ubisoft AD of the amazing savings you get when you dont have to worry about the nebulous 30% whatever from other storefronts, you can also get 20-25% off at sites like greenmangaming and cdkeys, for Steam games as well.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017

What do you mean about the 30%? If Ubisoft are only getting 30% of the revenue from sales of their games on Uplay, who gets the other 70%?

On Steam, Valve gets a 30% cut of every sale. The OP is saying that Ubisoft is actually passing on some of their extra money from getting direct sales to the users.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this is only in select regions.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
You know, besides the fact that the OP screams of some direct-from-ubisoft AD of the amazing savings you get when you dont have to worry about the nebulous 30% whatever from other storefronts, you can also get 20-25% off at sites like greenmangaming and cdkeys, for Steam games as well.

Yeah it's usually quite easy to get discounts for Steam keys on different sites. I almost never buy directly on Steam these days.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Ubi doesn't do pre-order discounts on Steam.

I think someone just had a brain fart while setting up the store page as Odyssey is listed as a Uplay title.

Edit: Plus the Gold Edition and Ultimate Edition buttons change the Steam logo to the Uplay logo. It wouldn't make sense to mix SKUs like that.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. For many regions, a PC game at 20% off the full list price is not a meaningful discount. Especially with how prices for Ubisoft games have increased in recent years.

Might be a more worthwhile discussion to be had here if op listed the actual prices. "20%" discount really doesn't mean much without know what it's 20% of.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's not a good deal at all, the Uplay store has higher base prices then other stores, GMG currently only have -16% off which ends up being cheaper, also they have campaigns from time to time with better deals.

OP
OP
Nintendo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You still need to accumulate 100 points if you have never bought anything on Uplay.

You get those just by playing Ubisoft games even on consoles if you've linked your Uplay account. Not necessarily buying games from Uplay.

They haven't said anything about Steam but they did this for Far Cry 5 preorders and the Steam version didn't get a discount IIRC.

I meant that Valve get 30% from Ubisoft games sales on Steam. By selling their games on Uplay, they save 30%.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
That's the usual UbiStore 20% off with 100 club points, isn't it?

Got all of my recent Ubi games with that cut. Great stuff, since the club points can also be very easily accumulated via playing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
hrmph... wondering if i should get it over with now. rather than dealing with cdkeys or gmg months down the line (not that that'd be a hassle either way)

Lekyl

Nov 15, 2017
I've always wondered why this was not more frequent. Big publishers bemoan having to use steam, which is understandable as they are forced to pay for distribution services they are perfectly capable of providing themselves, but they don't provide great incentives to choose their own platforms over Valve's. Glad to see this is changing, if that is indeed a sign of things to come.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered why this was not more frequent. Big publishers bemoan having to use steam, which is understandable as they are forced to pay for distribution services they are perfectly capable of providing themselves, but they don't provide great incentives to choose their own platforms over Valve's. Glad to see this is changing, if that is indeed a sign of things to come.

uplay has been pretty good with this for awhile now. and the fact their games are still available on steam makes it less pushy, so if their long term goal is to ditch steam entirely it won't be as drastic. or not for me anyway, i started just buying from uplay directly without second thought despite generally preferring to launch everything through steam.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Nice offer. GMG does similar things often, that's one reason why pre-ordered the new Tomb Raider -- they were giving 20% off as well.

But I'm still indecisive whether to get Division for PC or PS4 because I might want to play with a friend who only would play it on PC.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this banner. US here.

I know they allow you to trade 100 units for 20% off on the store, but it usually doesn't apply to new games or preorders. And when I click the thing to get a code, it doesn't work anyway. I would def consider it if I could get it to work.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yup, Ubisoft is doing PC gaming right.

Why is providing hefty discounts an example of 'PC gaming done right'?

In this case, it's perfectly understandable if this is a strategy to boost the Uplay userbase. But significant discounts at launch doesn't have to be held up as the ideal situation.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

In this case, it's perfectly understandable if this is a strategy to boost the Uplay userbase. But significant discounts at launch doesn't have to be held up as the ideal situation.

Because instead of 'exclusively' putting it onto their own platform they're offering it on steam but offering a discount on uPlay also. This way they can please their steam audience plus add an incentive to buy from their own store.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they able to sell steam keys direct without giving Valve a cut? Maybe they could do that on the UPlay store for a 15% discount. Although that sounds a bit shady.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

When someone buys a game on uPlay instead of Steam, Ubisoft doesn't have to pay Valve the usual 30% cut. By allowing us to trade club points for discounts, at least we got a benefit as well from buying on the publishers own client. This isn't true for any other publisher stores/clients on PC.

It's in the OP by the way:

Now this is how you compete with Steam instead of straight up pulling your games from it. You incentivise the consumer into buying from your store instead of forcing them to. Other third party publishers should take notes.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi had 20% off on Uplay like for years. You can preorder any game and get 20% off with 100 uplay club units any time. At least in Europe.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
uPlay have had this 20% off for a long time. It's even better because I've linked my XBL & PSN to uPlay so I can earn the coins/currency via achievements within Ubisoft games on those platforms and still work towards discounts on uPlay itself.

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
I'd rather wait until the game is released and has some decent indepth reviews before i chuck my money at it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
uPlay have had this 20% off for a long time. It's even better because I've linked my XBL & PSN to uPlay so I can earn the coins/currency via achievements within Ubisoft games on those platforms and still work towards discounts on uPlay itself.

Yeah it's also fairly easy to earn points. I've got more than 900 points and I've only played 5 games.

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
Not sure if I should get Division 2 on PS4 or PC :/

I always go for shooters with M&KB, but Division feels like an exception where it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Anyone who played Division 1 on PC actually felt like it was fast paced enough where controller was at a disadvantage, for the harder stuff?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US

I always go for shooters with M&KB, but Division feels like an exception where it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Anyone who played Division 1 on PC actually felt like it was fast paced enough where controller was at a disadvantage, for the harder stuff?
I've played it on both Xbox One and PC extensively and while it plays great with a controller, I much prefer it with m/kb on PC. The accuracy is just too hard to match on controller. I initially played with controller on PC just to have a more seamless experience but quickly switched and never went back.

Sorry, not sure if that helps, just some perspective from someone who loved this game on both platforms and enjoys both control options, but def has a preferred choice on PC.

Oct 30, 2017

Targeting enemy weak points/headshots looks like it would be harder with a controller, but I don't know how the controller aim-assist works, or whether consoles are balanced for this.

PVP is probably where it will make most difference, depending on your skill with a controller.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Not really a good deal IMO

Ubi Soft titles often see massive price cuts only 2 months after release. Got AC Origins for 25€ in January.

Never by a Ubi game day one unless you are a massive fan

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really a notable preorder discount on the PC market. You can get pretty much any PC game at least 20% cheaper before launch except the ones that are only sold on Steam.

Does the OP just want to complain about the outrageous 30% cut Valve takes (that is actually industry standard)?

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
Sorry, not sure if that helps, just some perspective from someone who loved this game on both platforms and enjoys both control options, but def has a preferred choice on PC.

Targeting enemy weak points/headshots looks like it would be harder with a controller, but I don't know how the controller aim-assist works, or whether consoles are balanced for this.

PVP is probably where it will make most difference, depending on your skill with a controller.

You've made my decision easy. Thanks for the input!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, this have been the case for a while. Bought AC Origins and Far Cry 5 with the same discount. If you actually play through all the games you buy, you'll earn a never ending supply of 20% discounts to use for other games.

This is also not exclusive just to pre orders, any purchase on the store is eligible.

Makes it pointless to buy it off Steam to the point where I can't see why anyone would do so. Just add the games .exe to your library and it will be as if you bought it there anyway.

asynchrny

Aug 22, 2018
Just wait till they have a beta going and try it out on both.
I played Div1 Beta with M&KB and felt like the game was slow paced and tactic based enough that controller wouldn't suffer too much.

Having never played the actual stressing gameplay of the harder challenges I was afraid I was misjudging and it appears to be the case.