• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
If you're willing manage trainers, mods, and tailor the experience ten different ways to Sunday, why quibble over a different launcher?
Well, the Steam Workshop makes managing mods extremely easy, and more importantly its availability (completely free for customers and at no extra cost for developers) has motivated several smaller/indie developers to implement official modding support in their games -- which they wouldn't have had the resources to had the platform not offered built-in support.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Same price
Can you refund Ubi game on Steam if it's already activated on Uplay?
The Division 2 is not coming to Linux anyway
And it's not an offline game

So what's your point?
Yes you can refund them. The uplay version won't work without steam so even if for some reason it's not removed from your library you won't be able to launch it.

Also from Linux support he means Proton. Game doesn't have to be on Linux for it to work on Linux due to proton. Now Linux users won't be able to do that. But also Linux users are such a tiny percentage of gamer population, like there was that Planetary Annihilation developer who said Linux made up for about 0.2% of their total sales. They ended up spending thousands of dollars to support a Linux version for a few hundred dollars of sales.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
d14.png

but seriously why?

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the Steam Workshop makes managing mods extremely easy, and more importantly its availability (completely free for customers and at no extra cost for developers) has motivated several smaller/indie developers to implement official modding support in their games -- which they wouldn't have had the resources to had the platform not offered built-in support.

it does, but in my experience once you go beyond basic mods you invariably end up working outside of the constraints of the Steam Workshop anyway.

At least was my experience with the TES games last time I looked, might have changed.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't bought anything from Ubisoft for years. They can keep their DRM shit sandwiches of denuvo, uplay and whatever launcher.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
But will those fortnight players actually leak over to these other games?
Stay tuned! Same bat time! Same bat channel!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
it does, but in my experience once you go beyond basic mods you invariably end up working outside of the constraints of the Steam Workshop anyway.

At least was my experience with the TES games last time I looked, might have changed.
Those games kinda have their own mod community, websites and manager based around that engine.

I think Xcom games are a good example of steam workshop. So many mods available and the game's launcher comes with a manager to manage it all. But I realise that it's an exception not the norm.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

For me, it's not so much about what I do specifically in terms of mods -- I can deal with complexity.

It's much more about its signalling effect and what a "race to the bottom" in terms of platform features means in the longer term.
As I said, several indie and smaller games only have official mod support because all the platform stuff and hosting is readily available for free on Steam.
I.e. if they had been exclusive to a store without that, they would never have implemented that feature.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't bought anything from Ubisoft for years. They can keep their DRM shit sandwiches of denuvo, uplay and whatever launcher.
So you weren't going to buy this game in the first place anyway. Remind me why you are posting in this thread or what point you came to discuss here? Or is this just a drive by comment?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This thread is ocean flavoured! Good get for epic, I guess they're fo real stepping in as a competitor.

Personally no interest in the game though.

By your own admission, you're not even a PC gamer and yet you come in here to tell everyone they're being salty?

I hate exclusive games as I can't afford buying multiple consoles. But I like Sony's exclusives more, at least right now, so I'll go with PlayStation.

Might go for a gaming pc though when it's time for my laptop to retire. Then I could get the MS titles as well.

Why?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think most of my UBI games are coming from their own uplay as GMG and most deals store sell you uplay key anyway. The discount coupon you get on uplay by trading point is good too.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But will those fortnight players actually leak over to these other games?
Stay tuned! Same bat time! Same bat channel!
I mean, if Epic sets itself up as something of a monopoly for some of these games, whether or not the Fortnite players are willing to shell out for some $60 games is sorta irrelevant. I see this as Epic using Fortnite money to attract (somewhat forcibly) an audience that Fornite couldn't to their store. Do you wanna play Ashen? Do you wanna play Hades? Do you wanna play Journey? Do you wanna play TWD Season 4? Well then, have I got a store for you.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
What's the consensus on solo'ing the first game? I skipped it because it looked boring to play without friends. And i'm old and my friends are old and we can't play games online. Only with my dearest Agent69 can I play from now on. I am sure she will be happy when this reality slowly sinks in.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't planning on getting The Division 2 anyway, but I refuse to add yet another launcher to my PC. I'll skip any game that is exclusive like this, just like I skip any game exclusive to the Windows store.

Edit: Just realized this means BG&E2 and further AC games will be exclusive as well... It's really disappointing as I loved AC:Odyssey, but oh well.

Edit 2: Forgot I could buy straight from Uplay... It's usually more expensive on there, but I don't have a problem buying future AC games and such on there on sale. Not trying to send any message other than not wanting more launchers to juggle.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus on solo'ing the first game? I skipped it because it looked boring to play without friends. And i'm old and my friends are old and we can't play games online. Only with my dearest Agent69 can I play from now on. I am sure she will be happy when this reality slowly sinks in.
I dropped it. Never liked it; game felt like a chore. And that's after all the updates Ubisoft applied to the game.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm slightly confused by the "Steam is a monopoly, which is bad, but paying Ubisoft for exclusives is unfair" argument. Unfair to who? Steam?

Given that Division 2 won't/doesn't integrate with most of Steam's features anyway because uPlay, I can't actually figure out who is harmed by this.

(And no, "I have to install another executable" does not qualify as "harm")

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Competition should mean supporting all platforms and users can see what works best. Maybe at a stretch some stupid exclusive DLC/costumes/artwork/etc.

Good luck PC gamers if the future of moneyhatting is on.

Console used to get far more moneyhatted 3rd party exclusives. At least most of them were timed.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Can't you still bypass Epics store and download directly from UbiSoft? If that's the case, again, this is more about UbiSoft and Valve (specifically their split) than moneyhatting. Epic doesn't gain a ton from this. Not enough to pay for lost potential sales on Steam. This is a UbiSoft playing hardball with Valve over margin.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly confused by the "Steam is a monopoly, which is bad, but paying Ubisoft for exclusives is unfair" argument. Unfair to who? Steam?

Given that Division 2 won't/doesn't integrate with most of Steam's features anyway because uPlay, I can't actually figure out who is harmed by this.

The people calling Steam a monopoly and the people complaining about EGS are probably not generally the same people.

And the complaint, at least from me, is not that I have to install another executable, but rather that it appears that I'm going to have to USE a worse executable for a large part of my PC gaming future. Where PC Gaming has been feature rich on Steam and Valve has been a pretty good actor, doing a lot of cool shit that's benefited the PC platform as a whole, I don't have much faith in Epic continuing that tradition. Their store is certainly a worse experience today.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The harm comes from regional pricing, refund policies and other things. The biggest issue is, it even able to buy it in the place you want and platform you see fit.

There's not benefits for the user in this exclusivity war.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning on getting The Division 2 anyway, but I refuse to add yet another launcher to my PC. I'll skip any game that is exclusive like this, just like I skip any game exclusive to the Windows store.

Edit: Just realized this means BG&E2 and further AC games will be exclusive as well... It's really disappointing as I loved AC:Odyssey, but oh well.

Edit 2: Forgot I could buy straight from Uplay... It's usually more expensive on there, but I don't have a problem buying future AC games and such on there on sale. Not trying to send any message other than not wanting more launchers to juggle.

So if a game is exclusive on Steam do you skip it also?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

You can buy from cdkeys, which has always been cheaper than steam and even uplay for almost all territories (outside of a few exceptions) when it comes to Ubisoft games. Btw uplay does 20% discounts via uplay coins if you weren't aware.

Also this is not for all Ubi games, they said it's only selected few titles. Farcry New Dawn is still on steam. I'm assuming these are all going to be the GaaS titles as they rely on mtx revenue and steam takes the same cut there too.

I don't know what EGS policy is regarding mtx for third party games and whether they allow publishers to use their own platform to process mtx (steam doesn't as you have to make the transaction on steam, even if the non steam version allows them to use uplay for transaction). Ubi is a unique candidate because they are the only publisher on EGS that has their own platform which is required for all their games. So if EGS allows Ubi to process transaction through uplay even for the EGS version of The Division 2 then Ubi is making 100% off mtx even for the game's sold on EGS rather than 88%.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So if a game is exclusive on Steam do you skip it also?
You misread my post, 90% of my games are on Steam and I'm against using yet another launcher (already at 4). I already mentioned I'm not trying to make any sort of stand, I just don't want more launchers on my PC. Not to mention I enjoy Steam's features including streaming and their overlay. The Windows store was a whole different issue (trouble downloading, corrupted files, unable to mod, etc).

You can buy from cdkeys, which has always been cheaper than steam and even uplay for almost all territories (outside of a few exceptions) when it comes to Ubisoft games. Btw uplay does 20% discounts via uplay coins if you weren't aware.

Also this is not for all Ubi games, they said it's only selected few titles. Farcry New Dawn is still on steam. I'm assuming these are all going to be the GaaS titles as they rely on mtx revenue and steam takes the same cut there too.
That's true, I forget about cdkeys a lot it seems like. According to the OP it sounded like the only reason New Dawn wasn't included was due to already being listed, it sure seemed like they planned on putting most if not all future games on the Epic store instead.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If a game is exclusive to Steam is because that's what the developer wants. Developers are free to generate keys and sell them in other stores. Even Valve does that.

Well I'm just saying, he's against exclusive games. So if it's exclusive on Steam, is that ok for him?

You're right, PC is an open market. Companies can choose to put games on any store they want.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You misread my post, 90% of my games are on Steam and I'm against using yet another launcher (already at 4). I already mentioned I'm not trying to make any sort of stand, I just don't want more launchers on my PC. Not to mention I enjoy Steam's features including streaming and their overlay. The Windows store was a whole different issue (trouble downloading, corrupted files, unable to mod, etc).

That makes sense. Got ya.

I just don't have the issue of stores/launchers like a lot of people I guess. Ya steam has a lot of great features that some others don't, but I have no issue's opening and closing a store/launcher for a game.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
The harm comes from regional pricing, refund policies and other things. The biggest issue is, it even able to buy it in the place you want and platform you see fit.

There's not benefits for the user in this exclusivity war.

Regional pricing is a fair point.

That aside, I take issue with characterizing this along the same lines as console exclusivity.

In console exclusivity deals, I have to spend $3-400 to purchase the platform it's locked to, in addition to the game.

Windows (not Steam) is the platform in this case, and it will cost me zero extra dollars (regional pricing, that constant PC storefront stumbling block that every storefront has struggled with aside) to install EGS and play Division 2, just as it cost me zero extra dollars to install Battle.net and buy Destiny 2.

Either you have a flexible, ungoverned platform which inevitably results in bunch of different launchers, all of which have to build critical mass and attract an audience, or you don't, and you don't. Asking for it both ways seems unrealistic.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably the weirdest Epic "exclusive" I've seen so far.

Ubisoft's whole play so far has been "Steam for eyeballs, our own store if you want to buy keys from third parties" The Epic store basically makes no sense for Ubisoft here outside of Epic giving Ubisoft a bag of money to help build up their cache.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

It's easier and more fun with other people. Every missions or events has matchmaking anyway so it's easy to find people to play it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

That's true, I forget about cdkeys a lot it seems like. According to the OP it sounded like the only reason New Dawn wasn't included was due to already being listed, it sure seemed like they planned on putting most if not all future games on the Epic store instead.
As I said they've said this EGS exclusivity is for "select titles" and I think they mean GaaS titles there. I edited my previous post to include the reasoning on why I think so.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
I would assume most people have these launchers already installed. I don't see what the big deal is. It comes down to money for Ubi. Epic gives publishers a bigger cut and they get the whole cut from their store.

Do you not have enough room on your SSD to install a 100mb launcher?

People get up in arms about anything. LOL

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume most people have these launchers already installed. I don't see what the big deal is. It comes down to money for Ubi. Epic gives publishers a bigger cut and they get the whole cut from their store.

Do you not have enough room on your SSD to install a 100mb launcher?

People get up in arms about anything. LOL
SSDs ain't cheap

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I certainly don't have it installed. I only see two reasons to have it installed. Fortnite which I don't play and Ashen which I got on my Xbox with gamepass. It doesn't seem like a very good launcher to have. I have Steam, Uplay, Origin and Bnet. That's plenty or me.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
So you weren't going to buy this game in the first place anyway. Remind me why you are posting in this thread or what point you came to discuss here? Or is this just a drive by comment?
I commented on their business model and why I refuse to buy their products, it's on topic as it gets. Not sure why I have to spell it out for you.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Competition should mean supporting all platforms and users can see what works best. Maybe at a stretch some stupid exclusive DLC/costumes/artwork/etc.

Good luck PC gamers if the future of moneyhatting is on.

Console used to get far more moneyhatted 3rd party exclusives. At least most of them were timed.

Might want to try a new business dictionary. The point of a business is to make money. Competition does not mean cumbaya. Especially for the underdog.

I respect why Steam loyalist love Steam and don't want any other launchers but the way they are asking other companies to compete, it's to compete in a way that allows them to ignore the competition. Nobody is opening up a new launcher because it has a better UI.