• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC [See Threadmarks]

Oct 25, 2017
So MAYBE by the end of the year it will offer something Steam already offered since 2011. And that's impressive because...?

If people arent going to use Epics store because of missing features, thats not going to keep Valve safe forever as they are working on it. So the 10 or so games that will be on their store wont be available. People are acting like its the end of the world.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people can see the contradiction and hypocrisy in the person who basically disclosed every developer's sales through Steam Spy being against disclosing sales numbers. Let's be honest here. If Epic ever gets a success story for their store, they'll shout it through the rooftops.
Yup, the irony is not lost on me. I also remember how he complained about Valve's changes that broke Steam Spy, while knowing full well he wasn't going to make any stats service of the sort on Epic Store. In my opinion he doesn't come out looking good after this.

Oct 30, 2017
The PC market probably has more than 20 different vendors of digital games. There are already seven or so other clients. What is Epic bringing to the table for customers?
With their financial strength, Epic has the ability to bring more to the table for customers than the smaller vendors.

If they are willing to, which I agree is up for debate as of this moment. Some give them the benefit of the doubt, others do not. That's perfectly fine.

So Epic, who take a smaller cut (12%) are going to use their smaller margins to offer you a better deal? How? You're blowing my mind here.
That's why I specifically typed incentives in whatever form they may be. I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that serious competition forces vendors to innovate, incentivise customers to use their platform, etc.?

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are they actually moneyhatting of the deal is so sweet they're making developers leave Steam?
From what's been reported, the exclusivity is a year or more for most games. The division 2 probably will never come back out on steam but the indie games so far have been said a year if not more.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm someone who pays more for Ubisoft's games just to have them on Steam, especially if they have achievements! I'm really quite displeased about this news!

The Division is my #1 most played game on Steam by hour count, and now with the sequel I'll have to play it on a service that probably doesn't even track played time and let me easily view that in comparison with my other games!! Why not release it on both Epic Store and Steam and let people decide whichever they like best? I can't say it makes me think very highly of Tim Sweeney and the way he and his colleagues at Epic are choosing to draw attention to their new store. Money is more important than the user experience, which I might add is a lot more than just clicking an icon and booting up the game which I see some people trying to boil this down to. I'm not one bit happy about it whatsoever.

I find it sad that Tom Clancy's The Divsion 2 won't even have the chance to even appear on this list because of an unsavory business dealing!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I can't blame any developer - particularly an indie developer (though the ones Epic are targeting are on the larger side) - for accepting a large amount of money upfront. Especially not when it is a timed exclusive rather than indefinite.
Epic are the ones to blame here, not developers.
I don’t blame them either. All I’m saying is that they are the ones responsible for putting their game on Epic store. I still don’t see how Epic is to blame at all. They are putting more money into game development and developers are accepting the offer.

Ultimately, it’s the game studios that have to decide whether the tradeoff is worth it overall and they are the ones that have to bear the burden of their customers opinions.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lets not forget partial credit card information and 2-factor phone numbers. And how many days did it take for Valve to respond publicly about it? Days later when the sale was nearing an end wasnt it?
It was very brief. As for your accusation of partial credit card information being given away, you’re going to have to prove it.

Oct 30, 2017
Despite the term mono. It doesn't need to be a single player. If one is mighty enough to change the market in a significant way, you can indeed call that monopoly.
If you're just going to ignore what a monopoly actually is, then there's no point in going on. I'm going to assume you're just trolling now.

Oct 25, 2017
It was very brief. As for your accusation of partial credit card information being given away, you’re going to have to prove it.

Like i said previously, to their credit Valve fixed the issue relatively quickly and there hasnt been anything like that since. i understand stuff like this happens. Its the age we live in. The only real negatives i have with Valve is them not responding fully but, again, i understand the situation at the time might not have allowed for full comment. Its just a bad look that it coincided with the end of the sale. i dont hold Christmas 2015 against them really but the entire reason we are talking about this is my original point in that somehow, even with this incident under their belt, makes Valve somehow more trustworthy with private data over Ubisoft which has yet to have such an issue is absurd.

Oct 27, 2017
And perfect timing, I don't know if this was posted here yet, but Epic just got an F for the BBB for bad customer service and their refund policy.
Thank goodness for all of that competition!

Epic really seems to be screwing over PC gaming in general here. I mean, its fine to have actual, genuine competition in terms of storefronts and launchers, but specifically for consumers, what is the appeal to the Epic store? The only noteworthy thing I can see right now is the free game thing, which I guess is nice, but how long will that last for? EA/Origin did that for a bit but then they stopped. And its not like you couldn't have gotten Subnautica/Meat Boy for pretty damn cheap on sale from Steam or other places before this. Add in how hypocritical somebody like Tim Sweeney looks now when he was crying about Windows 10 being so locked down and yet Epic is trying to lock down PC exclusives to their own walled garden and... this rubbish makes me not want to give Epic any money in any form whatsoever as a consumer.

It would be fine if the Epic Store was an actual feature for feature competitor with Steam, but its nowhere close to that. So instead they're just trying to use their Fortnite money to buy everyone away from Steam. I really hope this practice doesn't continue as it just fractures PC gaming and takes away one of the huge positives of the platform, namely the openness and options you have when purchasing.

Maybe the better cut is a nice thing for developers, but frankly, as a consumer, with the state of the Epic store right now, I hope it crashes and burns or they drastically improve it. It offers nothing to me as a consumer other than locking down games on an feature deficient launcher and offering inferior services compared to most competitors like Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
And perfect timing, I don't know if this was posted here yet, but Epic just got an F for the BBB for bad customer service and their refund policy.
BBB is basically scam, means nothing really. It's same for Valve too, because they're not member.

Because Epic knows people would just buy it on Steam, so they paid Ubisoft to have it on the Epic Store.

I wonder how long they can keep this up.
Considering it's available everywhere else, they most might've (also) paid not to have on Steam.

Oct 28, 2017
If you're just going to ignore what a monopoly actually is, then there's no point in going on. I'm going to assume you're just trolling now.
Do I have a choice to use something else than stream if I want to play AAA and Indie games? No at least if you want to play on pc!

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
gfwl can only get better so I don't know why you'd ever criticize it just give them some time

it's not like they would abandon it, it's Microsoft we're talking about they will definitely compete with steam

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If people arent going to use Epics store because of missing features, thats not going to keep Valve safe forever as they are working on it. So the 10 or so games that will be on their store wont be available. People are acting like its the end of the world.
So we are suppose to give epic the benefit of the doubt for their shitty store that has been around for years? They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt and deserve to be called out for them buying exclusivity.

Epic doesn't need you blindly defending them
gfwl can only get better so I don't know why you'd ever criticize it just give them some time

it's not like they would abandon it, it's Microsoft we're talking about they will definitely compete with steam
Pretty much but I bet you the same people defend epic defended Microsoft as well.

Oct 28, 2017
lol, yes

GOG, Itch.io, Twitch, Discord all exist and work well

for your AAAs they already are on their exclusive launchers.
So we pretend that you can get most/all indie games on other stores and that Steam don't get any AAA games because everything is exclusive now. Alrighty then.

May 31, 2018
Having all these launchers is a pain in the ass. Back to the days where we could install open a game independent of any of that. Each launcher needs to update everytime I want to play something as well.

/Winge

Oct 26, 2017
Is there actual evidence that Epic is offering cash incentives for game publishers to sign release exclusivity deals for the Epic Store or is it just more ERA bullshit per usual?

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Having all these launchers is a pain in the ass. Back to the days where we could install open a game independent of any of that. Each launcher needs to update everytime I want to play something as well.
At last we don't have to look for game patches on fileplanet anymore ^^

Is there actual evidence that Epic is offering cash incentives for game publishers to sign release exclusivity deals for the Epic Store or is it just more ERA bullshit per usual?
That evidence is posted several times already in this thread. Both Sweeney and the Satisfactory devs admitted it.

Because Epic knows people would just buy it on Steam, so they paid Ubisoft to have it on the Epic Store.

I wonder how long they can keep this up.
Long. They have millions to spend thanks to Fortnite.

Nov 1, 2017
So now Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Bethesda aren't going to be putting games out on Steam anymore. Wouldn't be shocked if 2K/Rockstar either makes their own launcher or moves off the store for when RDR2 comes to PC

So that just leaves.... Capcom, Square-Enix and Deep Silver as AAA publishers putting stuff on Steam?
This is cause for alarm.... Wonder what's going on.

Oct 26, 2017
Big publishers no longer need Steam to sell games. The open nature of the PC allows publisher to basically do whatever they want so this was inevitable. They aren't going to continue to put their stuff on Steam 'just because' if they can easily make their own store instead.

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
what used to be i dunno whatever if we get any money out of that it'd be a plus just throw it on steam lol pc gaming pirates

turned into oh wow this is a significant revenue stream pc gaming huh

then wait what do you mean we could make even more money, this other company valve is taking a cut you say? well it's not like they're doing anything we could just release our games ourselves instead and get that money

in the future it may be well that was a failure maybe it was worth having valve take some money because they were part of the reason we made any in the first place

or it could be well now we're back to every game has it's own installer like the 90s so that's great and what do you mean we're not making any money what is this piracy you're talking about

it's the same thing that's happening with Netflix and Hulu

now we got cbs all access thank god I always wanted another streaming service that has less content and features than netflix

what do you mean people just pirate discovery

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back to the 2018 Steam sales that were released a little while back, weren't Ubisoft games all on the top of Steam in terms of sales and revenue?

It just makes me wonder how much money Epic is having to pay out to Ubisoft to have The Division 2 avoid Steam to make it worth their while, cause the game will not have as good visibility by skipping out on Steam. I mean, I can understand a smaller indie studio taking some exclusive money to be locked on to Epic's store but Ubisoft is a big publisher, so some big money surely had to have exchanged hands for Ubisoft to think it financially reasonable to skip out on putting a big GAAS type game on the biggest PC platform/audience.

Cause that's the thing too- its not like The Division is some game that you would buy, put 10 hours in the campaign and be done with it. At least ideally, it would be the sort of GAAS type thing that Ubisoft would want people playing and playing and playing. Which would mean they want people buying it long past the initial launch window. Which makes shoving it off on the barebones Epic games store kind of an odd fit, since I would think its not going to be as visible to people as it would be on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
What facts? Don't you agree that steam get most games while other stores get more often nothing
And is that really Valve's fault??? Valve aren't letting devs put games on their store and their store only. Other storefronts like GOG and itchi.io has curation so it's a bit more difficult for any ol' dev to put a game on their stores compared to Steam.

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is only the division 2? or all future ubi games? maybe ubi is only testing waters, or epic payed for a year of exclusivity?
I'm guessing it's testing the waters and it's only the division 2 but more than likely it will end up being all ubisoft games in the future imo.

May 5, 2018
I'm actually really surprised (maybe naively) of the negative sentiment and understanding towards this.

The launcher of the most successful money-printer on PC in 2018 with more than 8million active players in the US alone can now host other games and takes far less of a cut than its direct competitor. Ditching Steam for Epic is a no-brainer for devs/pubs that aren't reliant on Steam's discoverability.

I don't get how this is bad for consumers beyond maybe having to install a new game store on their system - one that currently offers up to 2 free games a month.

Maybe the Epic games launcher also has more outreach in CIS and Asia than Steam does?

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i dont have problem if they are in epic store, my problem is when they choose to make only epic store.
Ubi has zero incentive to stop using uPlay as store platform for own titles, they get 100% of the cut after all from there.

I'm actually really surprised (maybe naively) of the negative sentiment and understanding towards this.

The launcher of the most successful money-printer on PC in 2018 with more than 8million active players in the US alone can now host other games and takes far less of a cut than its direct competitor. Ditching Steam for Epic is a no-brainer for devs/pubs that aren't reliant on Steam's discoverability.

I don't get how this is bad for consumers beyond maybe having to install a new game store on their system - one that currently offers up to 2 free games a month.

Maybe the Epic games launcher also has more outreach in CIS and Asia than Steam does?
Yes... how dishing out cash in effort to limit consumers options and choices harms consumers? think.emoji

Oct 26, 2017

Epic Store is not available across the entirety of China.