• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Well considering no matter how much people point out all the disadvantages of Epic doing this shit. People still rush in to say "Oh its just a launcher stop being a fanboy!" Maybe a simple image board meme will help send the message.

I mean yeah but it's not gonna stop me from thinking that its fucking hilarious regardless of the intent

Modpost

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This topic is getting a bit too heated - let's try to dial things back a bit. Attacking another poster because of their preferences or opinions regarding storefronts is unacceptable. Discuss the topic or don't - but stop accusing each other of being shills or fanboys or anything of the sort.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see where it says Epic paid Ubisoft on that page, can you show me? I must be blind...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/epic-games-store-the-division-2-ubisoft/
The Epic Games store has secured its first major partnership as it will carry Ubisoft's The Division 2 on PC when it launches March 15. Besides THQ Nordic's Darksiders 3, the Epic Games store has largely hosted smaller indie titles since its launch in December. Now, Epic has secured one of the biggest spring releases, as The Division 2 will not be available on Steam.

give GhostTrick his $10 please

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If Steam is so feature rich and perfect for consumers then what other than exclusives can companies do to compete? What would make all of these boycotters use something else.
I don't know... Release a launcher with many of the features Steam has? Offer something that Steam doesn't have? Why GOG is still alive even when their launcher is barebones compared to Steam? Epic has enough money to implement those features.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Here's why some people might prefer Steam, it simply has more features for the consumer:

GkxM758.png
Doesn't uplay have install folder relocation, anti cheat support through via battleye and controller support for their launcher (pretty sure I've launched a few games on uplay using my controller)? Another thing to note is that particular sheet would look a slightly different for steam if we were to only talk about Ubi games on steam since uplay is mandatory (so things like DRM free support would not really matter in ubi's case).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not a PC players but can someone please explain to me why are the majority upset about a game not being on Steam but on Epic games store instead?
perspectivesv6e5w.png

If Steam is so feature rich and perfect for consumers then what other than exclusives can companies do to compete? What would make all of these boycotters use something else.
At least match the most basic features Steam introduced literally a decade ago when you launch your platform.
People act like this is some impossible challenge, which is frankly laughable when we are talking about a company like Epic. It's ridiculous.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The punchline of all this is that Ubisoft has required Epic Store purchases to launch the game through Uplay, which means fundamentally the only real difference this announcement makes is that game won't be available on Steam because *flips bird*.
Not necessarily the case here.

Steam's revenue split is between 70% to 80% going to the dev based on sales.
Epic's split is 88% to the dev.

You don't have to be a genius at math to see why this is a mitigating factor for Ubisoft in case D2 gets bad sales, or even if they have an overall lower number of purchasers by going Epic exclusive. But the other side of the story here is why they don't put it on both marketplaces--and this is explained if they believe that customers will not make a distinction between the two (if true, easily supported by data which we don't have but Ubisoft does). Basically, why let these customers buy from the less profitable storefront at all? And again, even if there are less customers overall, it could still be made up by the different in revenue share.

So yeah, I don't think moneyhat is the clear reason here.
Does beg the question as to why Ubisoft is selling codes for the game on stores that we know take substantially more than 12% (e.g. Humble Store, which takes 25%).

Hell, Ubisoft has their own store. If they were concerned about their own cut, why are they giving Epic 12% when they can make it exclusive to Uplay and collect all of the money. This claim that Ubisoft wants a lower cut doesn't make sense, considering they could quite easily pay no cut.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/9/18174375/division-2-pc-epic-games-store-steam
"Ubisoft and Epic said they will "also partner on additional select titles [coming to the Epic Games Store] to be announced during the coming year." Ubisoft also said it plans to fulfill pre-orders for The Division 2 made at other online stores prior to the game's launch on March 15. "
Could you pre-order the game on Steam? Are those retailers selling Steam keys?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, how well known is the Epic Store among casual Division players? Competition is great for developers, but why not launch on every platform?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not in every region. Ubisoft doesnt support as many regions as steam when it comes to regional pricing.
From my experience with Indian steam store (which is the 2nd cheapest store overall after Russian store and I don't know if uplay does regional pricing for Russia) uplay games were only on an average 20% cheaper than steam (unlike other publishers where it can be 50% cheaper or more on Indian store). But on uplay you could get 20% off via uplay coins so you'd end up paying about the same and have the option to go even cheaper than that if you get it off 3rd party sellers like cdkeys.

It's why despite having access to Indian store, almost all my Ubi games are on uplay because I bought it off cdkeys (which sold uplay codes). So I'm sure that atleast when it comes specifically to Ubisoft games steam version was never the cheapest version to buy and has been so for a while...unless you live in Russia then maybe. Because if it's more expensive to buy on steam even for the 2nd cheapest steam store then it's gonna be even more expensive in other regional stores. Again this is just for Ubisoft games, for others definitely steam is the better option and has been due to the massive regional price difference.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

everyone else?

Who knows but between

Steam
GOG
Sony
MS
Nintendo
Google
Apple
and countless more!

They all chose 30%, who cares who shot first?
So do you have proof that the 30% cut across the industry is Valve's fault?

Once again more ignorance that valve's take is "disgusting" when everyone else does the same, but no one complains about them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Console wars are old and busted, PC store wars are the new hotness.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Name some features you want that Steam doesn't provide.
I think this is a bad argument. It has more to do with the fact that's Epic hasn't got these expected baseline features, and are actively making some people's PC gaming experience worse by luring games off of Steam.

They should probably get their client in order before they start moneyhatting exclusives. Get a good refund policy, in-home streaming, big picture, and the slew of other features that as Steam offers.

All of a sudden, people who use those Steam features are now getting a worse experience thanks to Epic.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm totally down for Steam to lose some Steam, competition is good and I feel Valve was getting pretty complacent. Perhaps Valve needs some EXCLUSIVE titles of their own... to better... their... platform...?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally down for Steam to lose some Steam, competition is good and I feel Valve was getting pretty complacent. Perhaps Valve needs some EXCLUSIVE titles of their own... to better... their... platform...?
In what way does an exclusive game better a platform? Unless it was literally developed by the company themselves in which case I'd still rather have the option to buy it anywhere. Steam is the best platform because of it's amazing feature set. But to say Valve was getting complacent is insanely ignorant at best.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's another game I was looking forward to playing, but will avoid picking up now.

I really, really do not want to support a company's launcher that largely came about after Epic threw tons of cash at a select few smaller devs in order to get "exclusives" on the PC. That's not even touching upon the fact that the EGL lacks so many consumer facing features compared to other launchers (as shown above).

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone screaming "moneyhatting!!!" can prove that this is what happened and not Ubisoft choosing to go to Epic for the 12% cut instead of the 30% cut, I will pay them with a $10 Steam game of their choice. First one to do it wins.

Good luck, you'll need it.

you have to be pretty dumb to not see that. Btw Valve would only take 20% of a cut for The Division 2.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This topic is getting a bit too heated - let's try to dial things back a bit. Attacking another poster because of their preferences or opinions regarding storefronts is unacceptable. Discuss the topic or don't - but stop accusing each other of being shills or fanboys or anything of the sort.
I know the thread is moving relatively quickly, but ^

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I will say that Steam's cut is uncompetitive - yes it's the same as Apple, MS and Sony but they all have a literal monopoly over their respective platforms. PCs are open and thus open to rival marketplaces as we see here. If Valve could've dropped their cut to 15% or something none of this would've have happened.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Something no PC players want, take that shit to consoles

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how all those indies feel now that Epic is throwing money around the big boys lol.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming doesnt exactly need closed platforms/exclusives, thats consoles terrain

In what way does an exclusive game better a platform? Unless it was literally developed by the company themselves in which case I'd still rather have the option to buy it anywhere. Steam is the best platform because of it's amazing feature set. But to say Valve was getting complacent is insanely ignorant at best.

I think they were being sarcastic.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
share features
cloud saves
mod workshop
customizable gamepad support
regional pricing
community hubs
linux support
tradable microtransactions

etc.

More features, other business models (like subscription models), videogame streaming or simply the prices games are being sold at.

So... what makes you believe that those features won't be part of the launcher(s) at some point in time? Steam was the biggest piece of CRAP back in 2004, as HL2 released. And it was still CRAP years later. They came very far with their software now, but they also took their time.