• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaand no buy. Excellent! Why?
Mooooooney.

Incindentally, I get the feeling this will mean higher prices consumers pay on the game. PC usually has options where you can pick up pre-orders 20-30% off. But I wonder if that will still be the case now with Epic only titles.

The advantage of steam is you have massive eyes on. So yes you're paying for a premium, but it's because it can direct a lot of attention to your game. I wonder if they really think the game is big enough in terms of interest they don't need that. Having both makes sense. Epic only. Seems odd.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Funnily enough they can't even get people to play their own games and have shut two of them down since Fortnite took off.

Love this...I'll say it again: people that think Fortnite players are going to start buying games because they are listed in the same place as Fortnite are in for a rude awakening.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you, bad for everyone else. Steam has lots of features that feels minimal reading them on that list, but Im using them so much that if Valve removed, let's say, community uploads (screenshots, guides, Workshop) I would be really fuckings pissed.

I take a lot of Steams feature without "care", because they are so natural integrated into my PC gaming so going to another client that doesn't have those features is not something I want to do.
That's cool.

But the difference between this post and the image I'm objecting to is the difference between "Here's my thought-out argument" and "lolcarelessmeme.png"

That's all I ask, really, carry on.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ditching Steam?
A bit understandable, you need to have Uplay installed alongside Steam for Ubigames anyway.
But going for Uplay + Epic instead of Uplay only? WHY?

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
In what way does trading cards, badges, or customizable profile page add to this discussion about storefront viability? These are "gotcha" bullet points that aren't even worth mentioning.

You can sell the trading cards, badges and items you get just from playing games for money, which you can then use to get small discounts on games.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly didn't expect such heated reactions over so little.
Do people worship Steam this much, even after some recent questionable practices ?
I thought people would be more happy to finally see some proper competition after all these years of hegemony.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Do people worship Steam this much, even after some recent questionable practices ?
I thought people would be more happy to finally see some proper competition after all these years of hegemony.
every time, without fail.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ditching Steam?
A bit understandable, you need to have Uplay installed alongside Steam for Ubigames anyway.
But going for Uplay + Epic instead of Uplay only? WHY?
Uplay has a big user base without a lot of games on it?

maybe they think that the resulting hullabaloo will actually work to their favour to getting The Division 2 back on people's minds?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Sony locked a ton ton of Epic accounts from use on other platforms I think I'll steer clear of putting too much Cash or faith into my Epic account

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love this...I'll say it again: people that think Fortnite players are going to start buying games because they are listed in the same place as Fortnite are in for a rude awakening.
Absolutely. I think that's why they want to get Epic launcher up and are so competitive right now though
Fortnite can ride for a good while. But, it's not something you can hinge your entire business on. Like you said though, people are just there for free stuff right now.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017

unknown.png

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
How about saying no because moneyhatting is a bad practice that I don't want to support?
Fight the power, I guess?

Used to be 'money hatting' meant when a game got locked to a specific hardware platform on account of cash incentives, which angers people who perceived this as a rise in the financial barrier to entry for a desired game as now resources would need to go to also buy a different console.

This modern take that now it means "a game isn't for sale on Steam because I think money changed hands between shrouded figures in trench coats in an alley and bulging cartoon sacks labeled with big green dollar signs" is baffling to me, personally. But again, do you.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
More to the point, if these higher profile games had amazing sales on the Epic Store, they would be shouting it from the rooftops to attract more and bigger games.

Thing is there is nothing to compare Ashen to. It's a new IP. So having those numbers wouldn't tell you much. You could speculate (probably rightly) that it would have sold more on Steam, but there would be no way of knowing if it sold enough more to offset the revenue split they gain with Epic or however much they received.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Features and services offered to consumers aren't worth mentioning?? Why? Because Epic offers nothing?
Because compared to "features" like gifting, automatic refunds, overlays, early access, regionaly pricing, etc. a statistically insignificant amount of customers would base their use-case decisions on them. They're fluff made expand an already expansive lead Steam has on most all storefronts. There's no need for further padding. With trading cards, you can sell them, so fair play. But badges? Profile pages? Really?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I will post this again, this happened when people got choice where to buy games. Millions still picked Steam over UPlay even though they could get games for cheaper on UPlay.

DLalvt1.png

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting move, wonder if it will pay off for them.

Wish there was a way to track player counts on the Epic launcher, lots of money being wagered on the theory that the Fortnite audience will translate into a large user base for other games, which could happen, I'm not completely certain of the demographics of Fortnite beyond it skewing young. I don't know that the user bases have the same level of disposable income, and I have my doubts that the phenomenon will last long enough to allow that audience to mature along with the store front the way it worked for Steam.

Still, interesting times indeed.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something wrong with that? Is there any reason I shouldn't vote with my wallet as a customer?
Do whatever you want, man.

Even if it means redefining the term 'moneyhatting'

Your money, your choices, I'm not trying to convince anybody to buy or not buy a video game.

I'm just finding some of the reasoning (not necessarily yours) little more than avant-garde posturing.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, guess I'm not buying it then. Shame, me and my friends are looking forward to it.

Will inevitably buy it when it's released on Steam post-bomb.

Oct 25, 2017
So I checked it out ubisoft will lose alot of money on my purchase and I suspect many others, hope that Epic money was worth it

If I could buy div 2 on steam : 60e -30% = 42 euro to ubisoft
Launch price on cdkeys : 43e -??% = less than 42 euro to ubisoft
Me buying game on sale on cdkeys = alot less than 42 euro to ubisoft

I've bought quite a few games at launch because of a 27% discount available on a preorder that I otherwise likely would have waited until there was a 50% discount on. On games tied to the Epic store it would likely mean less money to the publisher from me at a later date, and honestly anything that was Epic exclusive I'd likely need to see a larger discount on.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Sucked is a strong word. Flawed at launch? Yeah.

the game had problems for awhile, looked nothing like the reveal trailer and got boring fast. in a few months this statement will apply for the sequel.

out of all the possible games they could have money hatted they chose this one.. im glad they didn't get exclusivity for Metro Exodus.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Do whatever you want, man.

Even if it means redefining the term 'moneyhatting'

Your money, your choices, I'm not trying to convince anybody to buy or not buy a video game.

I'm just finding some of the reasoning (not necessarily yours) little more than avant-garde posturing.

Is is possible there is a nuance to the reasoning that you might have missed though?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Any other publishers Tencent invested/moneyhatted their way into lately? I need a list so I'm prepared for when more bad news hits.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is there is nothing to compare Ashen to. It's a new IP. So having those numbers wouldn't tell you much. You could speculate (probably rightly) that it would have sold more on Steam, but there would be no way of knowing if it sold enough more to offset the revenue split they gain with Epic or however much they received.
You cam compare it to similar games on Steam and comment on the traction the Epic store is getting. If Ashen sold say 5K copies on PC or 200K then obviously the discussion takes a turn.