• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Genuinely surprised at the number of people who have defaulted to "no buy". I get that many people enjoy having their library consolidated; but as someone who has used the GOG, UPlay, Origin, and Steam clients side-by-side in order to cut down on costs via individual sales, this isn't a huge issue ot me as of yet.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
It's not a strawman, it was made after a great many exchanges which literally boil down to that (all of which are archived thanks to the power of the internet). Unless those were straw-people posting of course.
Ironically, competition from other launchers is likely the reason Steam changed their revenue share scheme.
People here seem to ignore that competition isn't just about providing alternatives, it's also about improving existing options.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely surprised at the number of people who have defaulted to "no buy". I get that many people enjoy having their library consolidated; but as someone who has used the GOG, UPlay, Origin, and Steam clients side-by-side in order to cut down on costs via individual sales, this isn't a huge issue ot me as of yet.
Good luck with epic

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I think my free key from AMD Rewards is a Uplay one, hope they don't try sending an EGS key to force sign-ups as part of this deal.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

It's almost as if the issue (for most) has nothing to do with wanting to consolidate our library to only one platform.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah having worse prices is amazing indeed
usually speaking steam's rarely the cheapest place to buy ubisoft games (Russian and Chinese versions being the two exception), even considering regional pricing. Uplay (after 20% discount) or resellers were/are cheaper. This is because outside of those two territories, Ubi games were on an average only 20% or so cheaper on steam.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Steam's very rarely the cheapest place to buy ubisoft games (Russian version and Chinese versions being the two exception), even considering regional pricing. Uplay or resellers were/are cheaper.
Always got games cheap thank to third party sites for steam keys. Bye to that now.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is how is the Epic Games Store tipping the scale for Ubi?

Steam has the userbase advantage. What the hell gives?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Steam's very rarely the cheapest place to buy ubisoft games (Russian version and Chinese versions being the two exception), even considering regional pricing. Uplay or resellers were/are cheaper.
In my case is pretty cheap (Argentina)

The division is at 62$ US at the cheapest option in the Epic store, at Steam i would pay around 30$ US

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
usually speaking steam's rarely the cheapest place to buy ubisoft games (Russian and Chinese versions being the two exception), even considering regional pricing. Uplay or resellers were/are cheaper.
That doesn't mean you have to take away the choice to buy from Steam. If the customer wants to buy it from Steam, then by all means.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
This thread is ocean flavoured! Good get for epic, I guess they're fo real stepping in as a competitor.

Personally no interest in the game though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
usually speaking steam's rarely the cheapest place to buy ubisoft games (Russian and Chinese versions being the two exception), even considering regional pricing. Uplay or resellers were/are cheaper.
Yeah, Ubisoft does offer regional pricing for their games on Steam, but it's not that great, like $50 instead of $60 for me. There are other places like cdkeys where you can buy their games cheaper than that.

I personally don't have a strong feeling about this one. At least we can still buy the uplay version/key through various sites. Games being locked in Epic Store is a big no, but this is okay.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
As I said earlier, at least for me (and probably other enthusiasts as well) the situation is that every year I have hundreds of games I want to try, dozens of games I buy, and a small handful that are must-plays and I know I will invest significant time into.

Will a game move from the latter category into "no buy" because it goes Epic Store exclusive? No. (It's not UWP after all :P)
Will I just go with another game instead -- one that is available with the full feature set I prefer on a platform I am confident I will still be using 10 years from now -- if it was in the former two categories? Absolutely! It also helps that I can send a (tiny!) signal of not appreciating exclusivity deals on PC that way.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In my case is pretty cheap (Argentina)

The division is at 62$ US at the cheapest option in the Epic store, at Steam i would pay around 30$ US
If I am not wrong the Indian store is cheaper than Argentine store and Ubi games on Indian steam store ranged from $42-48. On the Indian Epic store The Division 2 is $42, but I understand the Argentine store is more expensive than even US store atm. That has to be an error cause it doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I was wrong. Seems like Argentina is another exception for Ubi games on steam.

Always got games cheap thank to third party sites for steam keys. Bye to that now.
??
You never could buy steam keys for ubi games from third party sites. It was always uplay keys and you will STILL be able to do that with The Division 2.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I totally fail to see the problem with this. It's an Ubisoft Game, they need their own launcher since 2011 or so.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Damn - it made sense when I started seeing smaller companies utilize Epic store, but U B I S O F T?

I was under the impression that it would only be available via UPlay.

Cool.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Ubisoft does offer regional pricing for their games on Steam, but it's not that great, like $50 instead of $60 for me. There are other places like cdkeys where you can buy their games cheaper than that.

I personally don't have a strong feeling about this one. At least we can still buy the uplay version/key through various sites. Games being locked in Epic Store is a big no, but this is okay.
But ubi also offers 20% discount that can be added on top via their uplay coins...after which that $50 game would become $40.
After that 20% discount the games on uplay may or may not end up being cheaper than cdkeys, but that'd ofcourse depend on how cdkeys prices each game individually.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I totally fail to see the problem with this. It's an Ubisoft Game, they need their own launcher since 2011 or so.
Obviously Ubisoft's choice is Ubisoft's choice, but it's still an unhappy situation for anyone who'd prefer to buy and play games through Steam whenever they have the opportunity to do so. After all, many of us have been choosing just that for years, despite the option to get games on Uplay for less money. So we grumble.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If I am not wrong the Indian store is cheaper than Argentine store and Ubi games on Indian steam store ranged from $42-48. On the Indian Epic store The Division 2 is $42, but I understand the Argentine store is more expensive than even US store atm. That has to be an error cause it doesn't make sense.

EDIT: I was wrong. Seems like Argentina is another exception for Ubi games on steam.

??
You never could buy steam keys for ubi games from third party sites. It was always uplay keys and you will STILL be able to do that with The Division 2.
I always got steam keys from CD keys cheaper than direct from Steam did it with ACO before release.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I always got steam keys from CD keys cheaper than direct from Steam did it with ACO before release.
Yea I'm gonna need to see the receipts on that one.
We haven't been able to buy steam codes for Ubisoft games for years now. Steam store is the only place where you can get a steam copy of Ubi games and has been for a good while now.

I bought AC: Origins on cdkeys too at launch and it was a uplay code.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Ubisoft's choice is Ubisoft's choice, but it's still an unhappy situation for anyone who'd prefer to buy and play games through Steam whenever they have the opportunity to do so. After all, many of us have been choosing just that for years, despite the option to get games on Uplay for less money. So we grumble.

The fact is that whether you like it or not you need to have Uplay installed and running to play any of their games from AC Brotherhood onwards. The ship to complain about that sailed years ago. I never understood those who buy their games through Steam. Why? It's another client eating resources for...having access to your friend list, I guess?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Can you give me more details on this? For Ubi games specifically
Not much to say, got it off cdkeys
Yea I'm gonna need to see the receipts on that one.
We haven't been able to buy steam codes for Ubisoft games for years now. Steam store is the only place where you can get a steam copy of Ubi games and has been for a good while now.
Bare with me, I'll see if I still have the order email

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Was there any reason why the Uplay store didn't just sell steam keys direct (even with a surcharge)?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see how this all pans out, loaded up the Epic Launcher for the first time in a while today (Played Fortnite and Paragon once or twice each) and wasn't impressed by what I saw. But this can all end with Steam dropping their cut to 20% then it'll all be worth it.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I totally understand that and I am not dismissing it but at the end of the day, I am in it for the games.

If Dark Souls 4 comes out and it says it is not coming out on Steam. I am going to buy it day 1 on whatever service they put it on. There has to be a game for everyone that they just go screw it I want it now because the most important thing here is the games.

This is why I don't get the Steam loyalty and the attitude of "No Steam, No sale". Maybe if Valve themselves were putting out more games of their own but I just don't know why someone would be more loyal to the platform than the games. It is not at all like consoles.
I'm in for the games, which is why I'm willing to sacrifice my short term enjoyment, and tbh it's not much of a sacrifice since there is a huge amount of amazing game that still need to be played anyway. For what I consider being a move that might send a message which could be making gaming better long term ( or at least prevent it from becoming worst ).

It's also why I bought some game at release even when I still have a backlog and don't intend to play it for quite some time, to show that there is demand ( jrpg or visual novel on PC for example, or say those late release of Etrian Odyssey in europe ). That's why I didn't import Gundam Versus on ps4 and choose to wait a few month for the localisation. Or kickstarted projects.

Sadly this is not the norm which is why online gaming on console became subscription based and cross-platform multiplayer might never become the norm ( "I don't defend sony I'm only coming in every single thread about cross platform to explain, why it make business sense to do what they do" )... and why now on PC more and more title might cost more to get played on a platform offering less feature.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that whether you like it or not you need to have Uplay installed and running to play any of their games from AC Brotherhood onwards. The ship to complain about that sailed years ago. I never understood those who buy their games through Steam. Why? It's another client eating resources for...having access to your friend list, I guess?
Steam is literally always open on my PC. The fact that it launches ubisoft games through uply is almost invisible to me, as a Steam user. There's no decision about "do I want Steam eating resources while I play AC Odyssey?" It's not a question. If I want to launch a game, I'd prefer to do it with Steam. And I prefer to have access to the friends list and other features available in the overlay as opposed to not, given the option. Even if I'm playing a game through battle.net or Origin, I remain accessible through Steam.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not much to say, got it off cdkeys

Bare with me, I'll see if I still have the order email

This is what I got when I bought Origins back at launch (to others don't bother copying the code, it won't work lol)
RaLk1lh.png

And this is what the game's page on CDKeys says:
UtiU8PP.png

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I was going to buy it in uplay anyways but thats going to hurt the community available in pc, many ppl is not going to buy it because of being epic only, and that hurts the amount of people playing.
At this point im even considering to buy it on ps4.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy it in uplay anyways but thats going to hurt the community available in pc, many ppl is not going to buy it because of being epic only, and that hurts the amount of people playing.
At this point im even considering to buy it on ps4.
It's still on uplay so you can just buy it on uplay as you were going to.
It's one of the biggest games of 2019, player population is not going to be an issue for it.