• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whether you are comparing like for like.

No one can reasonably complain that games developed by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/Valve/Epic etc remain exclusive to their respective platforms.

But what Epic are doing here is much closer to what Microsoft did with nuTomb Raider 2, where a game that was already announced as multiplatform was then restricted to just their platform. Rightly so, people were not happy about this situation. This is obviously not at all the same as wanting Mario on Xbox or Halo on Playstation.

Note that no one has batted an eye at Fortnite not being on Steam.

I agree and we see it all the time including DLC shit practices like Destiny and Sony but my question is why wouldn't this happen on the PC? That's why I am not in the least surprised some are now trying to use exclusive deals to get people away from Steam.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
This doesn't affect me thankfully, no point in buying an Uplay game that requires the Uplay launcher anyway, off of Epic when I don't buy those games off of Steam anyway.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree and we see it all the time including DLC shit practices like Destiny and Sony but my question is why wouldn't this happen on the PC? That's why I am not in the least surprised some are now trying to use exclusive deals to get people away from Steam.
IT shouldn't happen and It makes me want to see those game bomb in sales until the exclusivitiy is up. I refuse to buy any game that they are moneyhatting on the epic game store until exclusivity is up.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I find it so dumb how this played out. But eh whatever I've still got my Amazon preorder so I'll keep it.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, I really hope this doesn't become a big trend, because it's not good for the PC space. Epic's platform is currently hot garbage compared to Steam, and I'd rather make a point of not buying anything on there until they come to Steam or GoG.

Granted, I was never gonna buy The Division 2, but this just makes me want to ignore it even more.

And for the folks who seem to have a chip on their shoulder for Valve, get your heads out of your asses. Steam is the top dog for a reason, and Valve is still improving it with features that are completely nonexistent on other platforms. Epic isn't actually doing any good for the PC space.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Nobody has answered me yet, how much do retailers get on every new game sold?

I belive its about 15 percent. But thats on top of another around 25 percent in other retail costs uncludion 10 percent to the platform holder atleast on consoles, not on pc of course.

Retailers make most of their money on the sale of used games though.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah i mean for me personally it doesnt affect me as i was never going to buy that game anyway, but if it continous it might affect me on some future title, and that sucks.

Put your game on as many platforms as you want but dont remove it from where many of your customers want it made available.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Well let's look at it.

Valve's cache issue allowed you to randomly see other users friends list, email address, or phone number.
Lets not forget partial credit card information and 2-factor phone numbers. And how many days did it take for Valve to respond publicly about it? Days later when the sale was nearing an end wasnt it?

Bethesda mistakenly sent out the user names, customer names, home addresses, phone numbers, and type of credit card of users, to other users.

So you tell me.
Personally if it were me i would want my information exposed to the smaller crowd of people. In Valves case 30,000+ accounts were compromised and exposed to everyone using Steam during then. During a normal day that wouldnt be so bad but since it happened on Christmas you are talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would get to see my info.

To Valves credit they fixed the issue relatively quickly and havent had any other major incidents like that since but my original point being that the idea that Valve is somehow a better custodian of private information over Ubisoft, which has yet to have a data leak of any kind (let alone one of the Xmas 2015 magnitude) is ridiculous.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I belive its about 15 percent. But thats on top of another around 25 percent in other retail costs uncludion 10 percent to the platform holder atleast on consoles, not on pc of course.

Retailers make most of their money on the sale of used games though.

That's what I would love to see, some sort of trade-in program for digital games. There have been some goodwill happenings like Spintires and a discount I got for having trhe original game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get the push back on having a valid competitor. Isn't Epic taking the smallest percentage of any store?
What makes them a good competitor? money hatting games that were on everything exclusive to epic game store for a year? a store that has less features and has barely been updated in 5 years?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Valve had cross-platform co-op (PC/PS3) in 2011 with Portal 2.

I'm not defending them. I think the experience they offer is far inferior to Steam. I'm just trying to explain where the responsibility lies. Getting mad at Epic for doing business is unproductive. Get mad at these companies that accept offers that are worse for the consumer. It is their product after all, and they are the ones choosing how to sell it.
I can't blame any developer - particularly an indie developer (though the ones Epic are targeting are on the larger side) - for accepting a large amount of money upfront. Especially not when it is a timed exclusive rather than indefinite.
Epic are the ones to blame here, not developers.

Epic has been moneyhatting devs to get 1 year exclusives.
I believe some of them are longer than 12 months.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So MAYBE by the end of the year it will offer something Steam already offered since 2011. And that's impressive because...?
UHYR3Qr.gif

If people arent going to use Epics store because of missing features, thats not going to keep Valve safe forever as they are working on it. So the 10 or so games that will be on their store wont be available. People are acting like its the end of the world.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people can see the contradiction and hypocrisy in the person who basically disclosed every developer's sales through Steam Spy being against disclosing sales numbers. Let's be honest here. If Epic ever gets a success story for their store, they'll shout it through the rooftops.
Yup, the irony is not lost on me. I also remember how he complained about Valve's changes that broke Steam Spy, while knowing full well he wasn't going to make any stats service of the sort on Epic Store. In my opinion he doesn't come out looking good after this.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I mean, you can still buy the game on third party key sellers, and they redeem on uPlay. If you don't want to buy it through Epic, buy it from Humble or GMG.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The PC market probably has more than 20 different vendors of digital games. There are already seven or so other clients. What is Epic bringing to the table for customers?

With their financial strength, Epic has the ability to bring more to the table for customers than the smaller vendors.

If they are willing to, which I agree is up for debate as of this moment. Some give them the benefit of the doubt, others do not. That's perfectly fine.

So Epic, who take a smaller cut (12%) are going to use their smaller margins to offer you a better deal? How? You're blowing my mind here.

That's why I specifically typed incentives in whatever form they may be. I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that serious competition forces vendors to innovate, incentivise customers to use their platform, etc.?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm someone who pays more for Ubisoft's games just to have them on Steam, especially if they have achievements! I'm really quite displeased about this news!

The Division is my #1 most played game on Steam by hour count, and now with the sequel I'll have to play it on a service that probably doesn't even track played time and let me easily view that in comparison with my other games!! Why not release it on both Epic Store and Steam and let people decide whichever they like best? I can't say it makes me think very highly of Tim Sweeney and the way he and his colleagues at Epic are choosing to draw attention to their new store. Money is more important than the user experience, which I might add is a lot more than just clicking an icon and booting up the game which I see some people trying to boil this down to. I'm not one bit happy about it whatsoever.

hc1PDrz.png

I find it sad that Tom Clancy's The Divsion 2 won't even have the chance to even appear on this list because of an unsavory business dealing!

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I can't blame any developer - particularly an indie developer (though the ones Epic are targeting are on the larger side) - for accepting a large amount of money upfront. Especially not when it is a timed exclusive rather than indefinite.
Epic are the ones to blame here, not developers.
I don't blame them either. All I'm saying is that they are the ones responsible for putting their game on Epic store. I still don't see how Epic is to blame at all. They are putting more money into game development and developers are accepting the offer.

Ultimately, it's the game studios that have to decide whether the tradeoff is worth it overall and they are the ones that have to bear the burden of their customers opinions.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Lets not forget partial credit card information and 2-factor phone numbers. And how many days did it take for Valve to respond publicly about it? Days later when the sale was nearing an end wasnt it?

It was very brief. As for your accusation of partial credit card information being given away, you're going to have to prove it.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Despite the term mono. It doesn't need to be a single player. If one is mighty enough to change the market in a significant way, you can indeed call that monopoly.

If you're just going to ignore what a monopoly actually is, then there's no point in going on. I'm going to assume you're just trolling now.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
It was very brief. As for your accusation of partial credit card information being given away, you're going to have to prove it.

8V9nO1F.jpg

Like i said previously, to their credit Valve fixed the issue relatively quickly and there hasnt been anything like that since. i understand stuff like this happens. Its the age we live in. The only real negatives i have with Valve is them not responding fully but, again, i understand the situation at the time might not have allowed for full comment. Its just a bad look that it coincided with the end of the sale. i dont hold Christmas 2015 against them really but the entire reason we are talking about this is my original point in that somehow, even with this incident under their belt, makes Valve somehow more trustworthy with private data over Ubisoft which has yet to have such an issue is absurd.

Oct 27, 2017
And perfect timing, I don't know if this was posted here yet, but Epic just got an F for the BBB for bad customer service and their refund policy.
Thank goodness for all of that competition!

Epic really seems to be screwing over PC gaming in general here. I mean, its fine to have actual, genuine competition in terms of storefronts and launchers, but specifically for consumers, what is the appeal to the Epic store? The only noteworthy thing I can see right now is the free game thing, which I guess is nice, but how long will that last for? EA/Origin did that for a bit but then they stopped. And its not like you couldn't have gotten Subnautica/Meat Boy for pretty damn cheap on sale from Steam or other places before this. Add in how hypocritical somebody like Tim Sweeney looks now when he was crying about Windows 10 being so locked down and yet Epic is trying to lock down PC exclusives to their own walled garden and... this rubbish makes me not want to give Epic any money in any form whatsoever as a consumer.

It would be fine if the Epic Store was an actual feature for feature competitor with Steam, but its nowhere close to that. So instead they're just trying to use their Fortnite money to buy everyone away from Steam. I really hope this practice doesn't continue as it just fractures PC gaming and takes away one of the huge positives of the platform, namely the openness and options you have when purchasing.

Maybe the better cut is a nice thing for developers, but frankly, as a consumer, with the state of the Epic store right now, I hope it crashes and burns or they drastically improve it. It offers nothing to me as a consumer other than locking down games on an feature deficient launcher and offering inferior services compared to most competitors like Steam.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
And perfect timing, I don't know if this was posted here yet, but Epic just got an F for the BBB for bad customer service and their refund policy.

BBB is basically scam, means nothing really. It's same for Valve too, because they're not member.

Because Epic knows people would just buy it on Steam, so they paid Ubisoft to have it on the Epic Store.

I wonder how long they can keep this up.

Considering it's available everywhere else, they most might've (also) paid not to have on Steam.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
gfwl can only get better so I don't know why you'd ever criticize it just give them some time

it's not like they would abandon it, it's Microsoft we're talking about they will definitely compete with steam

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people arent going to use Epics store because of missing features, thats not going to keep Valve safe forever as they are working on it. So the 10 or so games that will be on their store wont be available. People are acting like its the end of the world.
So we are suppose to give epic the benefit of the doubt for their shitty store that has been around for years? They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt and deserve to be called out for them buying exclusivity.

Epic doesn't need you blindly defending them
gfwl can only get better so I don't know why you'd ever criticize it just give them some time

it's not like they would abandon it, it's Microsoft we're talking about they will definitely compete with steam
Pretty much but I bet you the same people defend epic defended Microsoft as well.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Having all these launchers is a pain in the ass. Back to the days where we could install open a game independent of any of that. Each launcher needs to update everytime I want to play something as well.

/Winge

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Is there actual evidence that Epic is offering cash incentives for game publishers to sign release exclusivity deals for the Epic Store or is it just more ERA bullshit per usual?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Having all these launchers is a pain in the ass. Back to the days where we could install open a game independent of any of that. Each launcher needs to update everytime I want to play something as well.

At last we don't have to look for game patches on fileplanet anymore ^^

Is there actual evidence that Epic is offering cash incentives for game publishers to sign release exclusivity deals for the Epic Store or is it just more ERA bullshit per usual?

That evidence is posted several times already in this thread. Both Sweeney and the Satisfactory devs admitted it.

Because Epic knows people would just buy it on Steam, so they paid Ubisoft to have it on the Epic Store.

I wonder how long they can keep this up.

Long. They have millions to spend thanks to Fortnite.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
So now Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Bethesda aren't going to be putting games out on Steam anymore. Wouldn't be shocked if 2K/Rockstar either makes their own launcher or moves off the store for when RDR2 comes to PC

So that just leaves.... Capcom, Square-Enix and Deep Silver as AAA publishers putting stuff on Steam?
This is cause for alarm.... Wonder what's going on.