• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is cause for alarm.... Wonder what's going on.

Big publishers no longer need Steam to sell games. The open nature of the PC allows publisher to basically do whatever they want so this was inevitable. They aren't going to continue to put their stuff on Steam 'just because' if they can easily make their own store instead.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
This is cause for alarm.... Wonder what's going on.
what used to be i dunno whatever if we get any money out of that it'd be a plus just throw it on steam lol pc gaming pirates

turned into oh wow this is a significant revenue stream pc gaming huh

then wait what do you mean we could make even more money, this other company valve is taking a cut you say? well it's not like they're doing anything we could just release our games ourselves instead and get that money

in the future it may be well that was a failure maybe it was worth having valve take some money because they were part of the reason we made any in the first place

or it could be well now we're back to every game has it's own installer like the 90s so that's great and what do you mean we're not making any money what is this piracy you're talking about

it's the same thing that's happening with Netflix and Hulu

now we got cbs all access thank god I always wanted another streaming service that has less content and features than netflix

what do you mean people just pirate discovery

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back to the 2018 Steam sales that were released a little while back, weren't Ubisoft games all on the top of Steam in terms of sales and revenue?

It just makes me wonder how much money Epic is having to pay out to Ubisoft to have The Division 2 avoid Steam to make it worth their while, cause the game will not have as good visibility by skipping out on Steam. I mean, I can understand a smaller indie studio taking some exclusive money to be locked on to Epic's store but Ubisoft is a big publisher, so some big money surely had to have exchanged hands for Ubisoft to think it financially reasonable to skip out on putting a big GAAS type game on the biggest PC platform/audience.

Cause that's the thing too- its not like The Division is some game that you would buy, put 10 hours in the campaign and be done with it. At least ideally, it would be the sort of GAAS type thing that Ubisoft would want people playing and playing and playing. Which would mean they want people buying it long past the initial launch window. Which makes shoving it off on the barebones Epic games store kind of an odd fit, since I would think its not going to be as visible to people as it would be on Steam.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Russians for example. It is twice the price on the Epic Games Store.
Regional pricing is still not available, AFAIK.
Russian region pricing is enabled on Epic Store. I think it's one of the big ones so they bothered with it on launch, no clue about other countries in similar situation though.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
What facts? Don't you agree that steam get most games while other stores get more often nothing

And is that really Valve's fault??? Valve aren't letting devs put games on their store and their store only. Other storefronts like GOG and itchi.io has curation so it's a bit more difficult for any ol' dev to put a game on their stores compared to Steam.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is only the division 2? or all future ubi games? maybe ubi is only testing waters, or epic payed for a year of exclusivity?

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm actually really surprised (maybe naively) of the negative sentiment and understanding towards this.

The launcher of the most successful money-printer on PC in 2018 with more than 8million active players in the US alone can now host other games and takes far less of a cut than its direct competitor. Ditching Steam for Epic is a no-brainer for devs/pubs that aren't reliant on Steam's discoverability.

I don't get how this is bad for consumers beyond maybe having to install a new game store on their system - one that currently offers up to 2 free games a month.

Maybe the Epic games launcher also has more outreach in CIS and Asia than Steam does?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i dont have problem if they are in epic store, my problem is when they choose to make only epic store.

Ubi has zero incentive to stop using uPlay as store platform for own titles, they get 100% of the cut after all from there.

I'm actually really surprised (maybe naively) of the negative sentiment and understanding towards this.

The launcher of the most successful money-printer on PC in 2018 with more than 8million active players in the US alone can now host other games and takes far less of a cut than its direct competitor. Ditching Steam for Epic is a no-brainer for devs/pubs that aren't reliant on Steam's discoverability.

I don't get how this is bad for consumers beyond maybe having to install a new game store on their system - one that currently offers up to 2 free games a month.

Maybe the Epic games launcher also has more outreach in CIS and Asia than Steam does?

Yes... how dishing out cash in effort to limit consumers options and choices harms consumers? think.emoji

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Epic Store is not available across the entirety of China.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm actually really surprised (maybe naively) of the negative sentiment
[...]
I don't get how this is bad for consumers beyond maybe having to install a new game store on their system
perspectivesv6e5w.png

Happy to help your understanding.

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the first Division and put over 100h into it. Was considering getting the second near launch, but now I'll wait for bargain bin price. Not being on Steam means the product is worth less to me, so I won't be willing to pay as much.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's recently been enjoying using steam link on my mobile, this trend is not looking good to me as a consumer. I've already run into issues on the epic launcher, like not being able to manually limit the speed of my (free) game download, which caused my video streaming to be unwatchable while it downloaded and used up all my speed. The lack of features compared to steam which i rely on such as user reviews, discussion forums, big picture mode, wish lists, ability to buy steam gift cards, family sharing, as well as the questionable refund policies just further cement my disgust towards this situation. I may not particularly like it, but I can respect it when a publisher chooses to only to release a game on their platform. This however, is something else entirely, with one of the last remaining big publishers left who seemed to play nice with Steam now choosing to not just release on another platform, but to take their game off of Steam entirely for no good reason at all after it was already set to release on Steam.

Again, I wouldn't have a problem with this if Epic were to do like Origin and Uplay and offer their own developed and published games exclusively on the platform, while also selling indie games that are free to be bought elsewhere such as what GoG does. The real benefit to me as a consumer would be if they were to compete with Steam based on the features, the prices, and the user experience that they're able to offer. The dubious thing that Epic is doing is that they're snapping up games that they had no hand in creating, and should therefore have no exclusive claim to. We've never seen Pyre exclusively held ransom on EA's Origin store for example, or Super Meat Boy exclusively sold on the Blizzard store. These publishers have so far stuck to their respective lanes and I can appreciate that, but Epic is trying to change all that, and to me as a consumer it's not something that I can appreciate. They're effectively ensuring that in 2019 I'm going to have to sacrifice so many helpful features I've come to expect and rely on when it comes to the bulk of my PC gaming, and ensure that I'm going to have less options with how I buy my games (steam gift cards, user reviews, wish-lists, download speed limiter), play my games (big picture mode, steam-link, family sharing), and refund my games (something I don't do often, but works perfectly on Steam when I do). This isn't even getting into the whole regional pricing issue which I imagine is a real downer for a lot of other people.

Again, it's not that I have a problem with opening yet another shitty launcher before I play a game. I do that already with all my other launchers for their exclusively published games and I can deal with that. The problem here that is so unprecedented is that I now have to deal with a shitty launcher devoid of features and user friendliness so that I can play 3rd party and indie games that would have previously been released either on Steam, GoG, or CD key sites, effectively leaving me with less choice than ever when it comes to how I buy and play my own games.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This had a steam page, and I'm pretty sure you were able to buy it unless I'm mistaken. Was that addressed?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So we are suppose to give epic the benefit of the doubt for their shitty store that has been around for years? They don't deserve any benefit of the doubt and deserve to be called out for them buying exclusivity.

Epic doesn't need you blindly defending them
Not that i would be against defending Epic but how precisely am i defending Epic?

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first Division and put over 100h into it. Was considering getting the second near launch, but now I'll wait for bargain bin price. Not being on Steam means the product is worth less to me, so I won't be willing to pay as much.

Lets say the game did release on Steam... You would STILL have to use the Ubisoft launcher to launch it.

How is it any different? Just buy it on the Ubisoft launcher.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is it too hard to read the thread? Seriously, is it? Open a page, any page, and it will have been answered 5 times already.

Jeez. This forum is a fucking mess.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Aside
Lets say the game did release on Steam... You would STILL have to use the Ubisoft launcher to launch it.

People keep saying this but it's pretty seamless for steam on recent games. I don't even see Uplay unless I specifically click on the shortcut anymore. Odyseey just shows a splash screen and starts.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's kinda the boat I'm in. I always picked up Ubi games on PC directly through Steam instead of a site like Green Man Gaming, even though GMG might have 10-15% off pre-ordering the game, because I was willing to give up the sale for having it in my Steam Library. At the same time, I still had to go through Uplay, so functionally it was just that I wanted to be able to see the game in my library, which is ultimately kinda silly. The same people in my friend's list on steam that i'd play Division 2 with are already on my uplay friend's list, so I'll be just fine. This makes me want to pick the game up on GMG and get the discount, so it kinda works out in my favor.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Is it too hard to read the thread? Seriously, is it? Open a page, any page, and it will have been answered 5 times already.

Jeez. This forum is a fucking mess.

Hey man, cmon - can i not contribute to the conversation and ask questions without reading through every post in the thread?

Sorry if i asked a question or made a point that's already been made - but im not gonna read through every post before trying to join the conversation.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dont have problem if they are in epic store, my problem is when they choose to make only epic store.
They will never stop using ubi's digital store, my issue is this game was on steam until yesterday and now it's taken off to be exclusive to epic's store in addition, it's pretty shitty.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Seriously. I don't understand anyone who won't buy this game because of the launcher lmao. Who cares.

People that care about security? I've used the epic launcher for Unreal tournament, and fortnite. I had it on my system for almost a year, and have had my account hacked almost on a by weekly basis.

Doesn't happen with any of my other accounts like Blizzard, steam, even shitty origin.

Epics security is garbage.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

putting it on the epic store makes sense yes

no one gives two shits about that

"ditching" steam for it is what people are just straight confused about

hope the money was worth it i guess ubisoft

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
putting it on the epic store makes sense yes

no one gives two shits about that

"ditching" steam for it is what people are just straight confused about

hope the money was worth it i guess ubisoft

Yeah, i see that now - dropping an already existing platform is a pretty harsh scenario.

At the end of the day, its all politics and revenue. The shift to Epic store is revenue driven. Steams 30% cut is revenue driven. It's a big cut. Developers have been asking Steam to reevaluate that cut for some time. We're in a world where the AAA pubs don't need Steam to hit decent player numbers anymore.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that i would be against defending Epic but how precisely am i defending Epic?
In multiple posts you are pretending that epic will magicly add features when there's little proof of that especially with their store being the way it is for so long and that stuff like epic buying exclusivity on games is a good thing. It's a shitty thing for epic to do.

Yeah, i see that now - dropping an already existing platform is a pretty harsh scenario.

At the end of the day, its all politics and revenue. The shift to Epic store is revenue driven. Steams 30% cut is revenue driven. It's a big cut. Developers have been asking Steam to reevaluate that cut for some time. We're in a world where the AAA pubs don't need Steam to hit decent player numbers.
Possibly but will taking away from a platform help their revenue at all? I would guess they will lose money on this type of decision because of how the epic store is.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve had cross-platform co-op (PC/PS3) in 2011 with Portal 2.

This fact would mean a lot more if they had done literally ANYTHING to further cross-platform play in the last fucking decade. Yeah, they had it 2011 on one game, and exactly zero games since then have supported it. This is much more a knock against valve than a point in their favor.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
In multiple posts you are pretending that epic will magicly add features when there's little proof of that especially with their store being the way it is for so long and that stuff like epic buying exclusivity on games is a good thing. It's a shitty thing for epic to do.

Possibly but will taking away from a platform help their revenue at all? I would guess they will lose money on this type of decision because of how the epic store is.

They would have evaluated that they won't lose money from this decision - which is probably why they made it. As long as the player numbers are not -18% less than what they have predicted they would have gotten on steam - then the decision has reaper profit.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They would have evaluated that they won't lose money from this decision - which is probably why they made it. As long as the player numbers are not -18% less with The Division 2, then they have made more than what they would have if it was on Steam.
I'm saying we will see if it comes true. I think they will lose some playbase with this decision.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm saying we will see if it comes true. I think they will lose some playbase with this decision.

I too think they'll see more than an -18% drop, but not enough to have Ubisoft consider the move a failed decision - the benefits of the move (to them, and AAA pubs as a whole) stretch beyond the revenue of a single title.

But like you've said - we'll see.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Anything that hurts valve is a ok with me. I want old valve back and the only way I think I will ever get that is if steam crumbles or atleast weakens.

To me every store front is the same. All the niche features steam offers mean nothing compared to even 1 valve game sequel of their old IPs. Portal, half life, l4d.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like regional pricing i expect them to tackle if they wish to sell in those areas. Stuff like cards and controllers and VR? Who knows?

And as for buying exclusivity i dont care. i didnt care with consoles where i had to spend hundreds of dollars for hardware just to play the games i wanted, and from the looks of it many people dont care about clicking another icon to access the games they want either.

Anything that hurts valve is a ok with me. I want old valve back and the only way I think I will ever get that is if steam crumbles or atleast weakens.
When HL3 is announced everyone better get on their knees and thank Epic and Tencent lol

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too think they'll see more than an -18% drop, but not enough to have Ubisoft consider the move a failed decision - the benefits of the move (to them, and AAA pubs as a whole) stretch beyond the revenue of a single title.

But like you've said - we'll see.
I just don't see how this really benefits anyone but the epic store, it would be different if they were making it exclusive to the uplay store but taking it off one platform in spite of another just seems like a short sighted decision.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've made my permanent switch to Linux. So I'm mostly out of this situation by means of OS, but it is non directly hurting me since Epic seems to be taking games off of the only storefront that did anything with (everything for) Linux gaming, hell gaming in general. I wouldn't be able to buy Division 2 anyways since it seems UBI DRM doesn't play well with Proton. Hopefully these companies get set straight and at least realize what they're doing is anti-consumer and only hurts them in the long run.

What a fucking mess this all is.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017

To me every store front is the same. All the niche features steam offers mean nothing compared to even 1 valve game sequel of their old IPs. Portal, half life, l4d.

I don't know how much thought you put into this. If steam fails valve isn't going to suddenly start working on games again and getting them out in a timely manner.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how this really benefits anyone but the epic store
It doesn't. But that's what Epic is doing going for right now. They are building up a library (slowly) of high profile titles in order to entice people over to their platform. Once they have that, they're basically hoping others will follow suite without needing the moneyhat from Epic. Because I don't think Epic can keep this up forever. It has to cost them a lot of money to pay for the potential loss in sales from Steam's userbase. Especially for a big title like The Division 2.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Why are people continuously talking about 18%?

The revenue split on Steam for a highly successful full-price game like The Division is no longer 30%.
So that doesn't make sense, unless you are comparing to consoles?

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I don't know how much thought you put into this. If steam fails valve isn't going to suddenly start working on games again and getting them out in a timely manner.
Want to bet? As someone who was gaming when half life 2 came out on PC you could literally watch Valves attention slide from games to steam in real time.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Why are people continuously talking about 18%?

The revenue split on Steam for a highly successful full-price game like The Division is no longer 30%.
So that doesn't make sense, unless you are comparing to consoles?

I think steam has a pretty consistent 30% steam-tax on all games, no preferential treatment. If some titles were getting a better deal from steam than others, that wouldn't be a great ecosystem for devs.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Oct 30, 2017

Well, I like my playtime tracked on Steam. I like to see when my Steam friends are playing the game. I like for my screenshots to be saved and uploaded in Steam to my activity feed because that is where my friends are. This is in addition to many of the other reasons posted in this thread dozens of times. This is similar to when EA took their games off of Steam. I now wait until their releases are sub $5.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Want to bet? As someone who was gaming when half life 2 came out on PC you could literally watch Valves attention slide from games to steam in real time.
As big as a shit show its been with Epic coming onto the store scene could you imagine if they tried this even just a few years ago when the Lord Gaben PC Gaming Master Race stuff was in full effect? The freakouts would be much worse.