• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
You dont announce a partnership then. And if it was about the cut, it wouldnt be sold on 3rd party stores taking the same cut.
we dont know what the conditions of said partnership are, for all we know they are doing Division 2 and like 1 more 2019 game like this and that's it for the current partnership as it stands.

Idk only time will tell how well this plan works and what they do moving forward, personally dont really care and will just get the game on Uplay.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
we dont know what the conditions of said partnership are, for all we know they are doing Division 2 and like 1 more 2019 game like this and that's it for the current partnership as it stands.

Idk only time will tell how well this plan works and what they do moving forward, personally dont really care and will just get the game on Uplay.

That's the thing. I dont see it working. This move is just one meant to hurt Steam rather than making Epic Store more appealing.
What's the incentive to buy on the Epic Store ? Every 3rd party stores sell Uplay keys. The game is cheaper on Uplay and gives more money to the dev.

The only point here is the mindshare.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
That's the thing. I dont see it working. This move is just one meant to hurt Steam rather than making Epic Store more appealing.
What's the incentive to buy on the Epic Store ? Every 3rd party stores sell Uplay keys. The game is cheaper on Uplay and gives more money to the dev.

I dont know, personally id prefer it if it was just sold everywhere Steam, uplay, Epic, MS Store etc etc all with no boundaries at all but oh well.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically the exact same problem companies like Spotify and Netflix have with Apple and the app store, except that since this is a PC all they have to do is...not sell it through a completely optional ecosystem and still have effectively the same market.

Will they have the same market? We'll see whether or not that is indeed the case.

Steam is basically in a position where they are acting the same as MS/Sony/Apple, except that they're not in a closed market and thus the market is responding. That's what this is. This shift has been happening for several years now and it's not likely to stop - at this point if you're attached to Steam as a marketplace, you cannot ALSO extol the virtues of a PC without being willing to budge on that front.

I absolutely can and I absolutely will. On an open platform like the PC customers have the choice to support services that they think are doing a good job and reject those that are doing a bad job without putting absolutely everything on the line. Simply put: if you think that Sony sucks and don't want to support them by using their services, you are completely locked out of the Playstation platform. If you think that Steam sucks and don't want to supoort them by using their services, you still have tons of games available to you through various services. It is this open nature of the PC that allows me to ignore, say, Ubisoft games and still have thousands of other games at my disposal without having to switch platforms completely.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

It's Tencent most likely in this case. They own a big chunk of Epic and they are a significant investor into Ubisoft. Plus add in some sort of special deal due to Epic's bankroll.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So many moves by and news about Epic. I don't have a problem with them getting big games on their store. But I hope they will update their store constantly to make it more attractive as it's pretty barebones right now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know, personally id prefer it if it was just sold everywhere Steam, uplay, Epic, MS Store etc etc all with no boundaries at all but oh well.

Ideally, yes.

So many moves by and news about Epic. I don't have a problem with them getting big games on their store. But I hope they will update their store constantly to make it more attractive as it's pretty barebones right now.

There's no problem with them getting big games. There is a problem with them limiting people's choice.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That's true, but steam also lets developers generate keys for free to give away or sell elsewhere which steam will service without charge. Those are sales that valve does all the same stuff to support, but without getting paid. Steam keys sold elsewhere account for a significant portion of games registered on steam, and reduces the effective steam cut. For games successful enough to go far beyond the $50m threshold, it may be reducing the steam cut to below 12%. I suspect that it may be untenable for valve to both continue to offer and support free key generation and match the storefront cut of EGS, Discord, and certainly Itch.

This argument keeps cropping up, and it still remains disingenuous.
Most purchases are done on the steam storefront, a fact many of you reference when you keep talking about 'Steam Customer base'. Those purchased offsite are still redeemed on Steam, an event which is still of great value to Valve since it brings customers to the storefront where other games can be marketed to them.
on this forum, many of us damn the likes of Activision, Ubisoft and EA for chasing more and more revenue despite soaring profits, yet aren't keen to urge Valve to cut their take to help the developers that are responsible for their ever increasing profits. Their recent changes to give large publishers a better cut is a slap in the face of small developers on the platform.

In due course, competition from the likes of Epic will force them to give small developers a better share. And that's a good thing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This argument keeps cropping up, and it still remains disingenuous.
Most purchases are done on the steam storefront, a fact many of you reference when you keep talking about 'Steam Customer base'. Those purchased offsite are still redeemed on Steam, an event which is still of great value to Valve since it brings customers to the storefront where other games can be marketed to them.
on this forum, many of us damn the likes of Activision, Ubisoft and EA for chasing more and more revenue despite soaring profits, yet aren't keen to urge Valve to cut their take to help the developers that are responsible for their ever increasing profits. Their recent changes to give large publishers a better cut is a slap in the face of small developers on the platform.

In due course, competition from the likes of Epic will force them to give small developers a better share. And that's a good thing.

People explained you why that's not a good thing for customers and in the end, developpers.
Lower cut for stores means the death of 3rd party stores. Death of 3rd party stores, which relied on a price competition thanks to flexibility on their cut, means fixed prices, or higher than actual ones. Which means less buying power. TOday for 60 bucks, I can buy one AAA game and one or two indie titles.
Tomorrow, with 60 bucks, I'll buy my AAA game and the others will get shit.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
There's no problem with them getting big games. There is a problem with them limiting people's choice.

Yeah, store exclusivity sucks. But that's obviously the way Epic is going to attack Steam, so it's going to happen more and more. It's inevitable, so I just hope that the Epic store will catch up fast with all those features steam offers. Or at least the most important ones.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, store exclusivity sucks. But that's obviously the way Epic is going to attack Steam, so it's going to happen more and more. It's inevitable, so I just hope that the Epic store will catch up fast with all those features steam offers. Or at least the most important ones.

It's not inevitable. It's not normal. It's not the way it should happen.
I have a problem with the "Release first, fix later" mindset Epic is going for. Because the "fix later" tends to never happen.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
It's Tencent most likely in this case. They own a big chunk of Epic and they are a significant investor into Ubisoft. Plus add in some sort of special deal due to Epic's bankroll.
Also according to their wiki page they are considered the direct competitor to Steam in China and are wanting to expand their service to the West. From the wiki.

In 2017, 21 April, Tencent announced the rebranding of its Chinese 'Tencent game platform' as WeGame,[174]which was launched in September 2017. Tencent has since announced plans to develop a Hong Kong edition of WeGame that can be used by players outside of China, potentially setting up the platform to compete with Valve Corporation's Steam platform.

Conspiracy theory time but is it in Tencents best interest to weaken Steam before making any sort of move on a western market? Maybe a reaction to Steam launching in China last year?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People explained you why that's not a good thing for customers and in the end, developpers.
Lower cut for stores means the death of 3rd party stores. Death of 3rd party stores, which relied on a price competition thanks to flexibility on their cut, means fixed prices, or higher than actual ones. Which means less buying power. TOday for 60 bucks, I can buy one AAA game and one or two indie titles.

Take it down to 20% and 3rd party stores can still make their dough by taking 10% off.
Reducing storefront cut will definitely give developers more money. It is only an assumption that 3rd party key sites will go out of business to the detriment of developers. Why discard what is a certainty for mere conjecture?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Take it down to 20% and 3rd party stores can still make their dough by taking 10% off.
Reducing storefront cut will definitely give developers more money. It is only an assumption that 3rd party key sites will go out of business to the detriment of developers. Why discard what is a certainty for mere conjecture?

So instead of having 20% off discounts, I'm getting 10%. I don't benefit here.
Take it down to 20% will still be more than the 12% though.
How is that a mere conjecture ? That's basically a realistic look at how it works. You'd know it if you were using these sites.

I agree that it shouldn't be that way. But Epic is going to do it and good games will sell well even if they aren't on Steam.

That's where I'm doubtful.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I am going to politely disagree. I think Steam has gotten too big and now the smaller lesser known titles could suffer because of it. Even their royalty ratio promotes the big guys. Epic could be a place that has less clutter.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

It's not inevitable. If enough PC gamers raise their voice and vote with their wallets against this, devs and publishers will stop accepting Epic's moneyhats and Epic will stop doing it. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other great games to play on PC.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So instead of having 20% off discounts, I'm getting 10%. I don't benefit here.
Take it down to 20% will still be more than the 12% though.
How is that a mere conjecture ? That's basically a realistic look at how it works. You'd know it if you were using these sites.

That's where I'm doubtful.
That's the question, isn't it. Are games selling well on Elic's store? Division 2 may sell because it's an AAA title and somewhat fits with Fortnite audience but the indie games? Not particularly convinced and of course Epic won't release sales figures een though they hired SteamSpy guy who was super critical (justifiably mind you) when Valve stopped the API allowing for SteamSpy.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to politely disagree. I think Steam has gotten too big and now the smaller lesser known titles could suffer because of it. Even their royalty ratio promotes the big guys. Epic could be a place that has less clutter.

You're disagreeing but you're not replying to what I said. I'm not talking about Steam here, but Humble, GreenManGaming, Voidu. The smaller less known titles suffers from better titles. That's all.

That's the question, isn't it. Are games selling well on Elic's store? Division 2 may sell because it's an AAA title and somewhat fits with Fortnite audience but the indie games? Not particularly convinced and of course Epic won't release sales figures een though they hired SteamSpy guy who was super critical (justifiably mind you) when Valve stopped the API allowing for SteamSpy.

I doubt Division 2 is gonna sell on Epic Store for a reason: It's sold on Uplay and every other stores are selling Uplay keys. People buying Ubisoft titles on Steam are buying it for Steam. What's the incentive to buy it on Epic Store though ? It's available in better shape on Uplay. It's available everywhere else with Uplay keys for cheaper. If you want to buy it on Epic Store you have to actively want to own it on the Epic Store. The only point here for Epic is to prevent Steam from having it. They compete for mindshare here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's not inevitable. If enough PC gamers raise their voice and vote with their wallets against this, devs and publishers will stop accepting Epic's moneyhats and Epic will stop doing it. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other great games to play on PC.
Yeap, if that 12% cut comes along with shit sales, does it matter? We won't know for a while since Epic will probably prop some exclusives up but it's going to be interesting to see what happens in next year or two.

On Tencent, I wouldn't be surprised if Epic store gets rebadged WeGame in the East and gains WeChat integration for their social aspects.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I could only imagine the uproar if valve were to do something like this.

If they lowered their cut significantly all thise small stores could never in a million years compete. Epic has made a lot of money ey from this one game but steam has made a lot of money from a lot of games for a lot of years. They could money hat anu game they wanted. I wonder how some people would react to that...

And the notion that this is good for smaller devs is so stupid. These are still largely curated stores, were back to the whole well, i need to stand out in a market place that is crowded with goos games, steam, or i probably wont be allowed in at all a the other store.

For the few that get in it might be profitable but the vast majority will only suffer from a more splintered user base.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You're disagreeing but you're not replying to what I said. I'm not talking about Steam here, but Humble, GreenManGaming, Voidu. The smaller less known titles suffers from better titles. That's all.

I doubt Division 2 is gonna sell on Epic Store for a reason: It's sold on Uplay and every other stores are selling Uplay keys. People buying Ubisoft titles on Steam are buying it for Steam. What's the incentive to buy it on Epic Store though ? It's available in better shape on Uplay. It's available everywhere else with Uplay keys for cheaper. If you want to buy it on Epic Store you have to actively want to own it on the Epic Store. The only point here for Epic is to prevent Steam from having it. They compete for mindshare here.
The incentive is Tencent :).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I could only imagine the uproar if valve were to do something like this.

If they lowered their cut significantly all thise small stores could never in a million years compete. Epic has made a lot of money ey from this one game but steam has made a lot of money from a lot of games for a lot of years. They could money hat anu game they wanted. I wonder how some people would react to that...

And the notion that this is good for smaller devs is so stupid. These are still largely curated stores, were back to the whole well, i need to stand out in a market place that is crowded with goos games, steam, or i probably wont be allowed in at all a the other store.

For the few that get in it might be profitable but the vast majority will only suffer from a more splintered user base.

That's what some indies dont want to hear unfortunately. If the store were to be curated, they'd be the one curated.

The incentive is Tencent :).

I mean for the user. Not the reason on Ubi's deal :p

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
its a good time to say fuck you to epic store and ubisoft. i still in all the pages read here, have not found a single compelling argument in favor of epic store moneyhatting.
no features, barebones client, and people with their strawman competition argument saying they are not here for features, but for the game. gtfo with that bullshit. as if you have never pressed f12 on steam to save a screenshot.

see, i can get the division 2 on gmg with 15 percent off and another 10% for a code i have earned after buying so much from there. Thats a ridiculous discount for a place that takes i believe, 30% as well for their cut? so ubisfot putting it on gmg yet not on steam, only proves epics moneyhatting even more.

but whatever, competition is good is what the illusionists keep saying. lets see how good competition is when triple A games dont sell shit on epic store.

either way i have made up my mind and i wont even bother with this game until it comes to steam, cause we all know they will come back to it at some point.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
So it's on Uplay and Epic Store instead of Uplay and Steam. Ok. I'm nonplussed. Unless I own stock in Valve I don't see the kerfuffle. Business is business and Epic must have given them better terms.

Edit - I am 100% a single player of games so my opinion is skewed that way. If you are a sociable person who enjoys playing with others and the associated functions available through digital online storefronts then sure I could see some kerfuffle.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That your comment is nothing more than irrational hatred of company X.

Well then your comment is fucking stupid and uncalled for,

7Ap3h0H.png

Surely this will also force Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to reduce their fee too.

We could only wish there were other options to choose from.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It already is 20% for AAA developers (and also AA in most cases)

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it hate to support more options? yes I understand the contradiction being this game and a few others are not available on Steam but why use the term hate?
Edit: nvm, I'm stupid.

You say this like its some kind of gotcha but that would be great if consoles gave developers a bigger percentage. Who knows? Maybe in several years time we will be talking about Epics new console.
Think that will be even harder, assuming Epic develops their own console. Doubt indies will accept money to put a game exclusive to one console (especially a newcomer console) while ignoring the other 3.

Do you think some consoles have a monopoly and that is why they moneyhat titles?
Unless I'm wrong, these days console exclusives are exclusives because the console manufacturer helps funding the development of said game, in case it is a third party game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

True, I just don't believe that enough gamers will vote with their wallet. There have been multiple big games that haven't been released on Steam and I believe they are strong enough to skip steam. Especially on the Epic store where millions of Fortnite players will spread the message. With small games though I agree, see Thronebreaker on GoG which did not sell well.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Epic is firing on all cilynders. Sooner than later will be a formidable foe in the PC market. Hopefully it moves Steam to reduce its fee.

We as customers shouldn't worry about that fee. We should instead worry about getting what the games we want, where we want them, packaged in a way that we're comfortable with, at a price we think is fair.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Why is it hate to support more options? yes I understand the contradiction being this game and a few others are not available on Steam but why use the term hate?

You must've missed all the "Stick it to Valve" and "hope Valve suffers so they make HL3" posts, Valve is one of those companies that get irrational hatred by many posters around here, some with a feverish fanaticism. And like you said there's no options given by Epic's move, only options taken off the table.

I hope steam moneyhats devs and publishers so people can actually have a reason to call steam a monopoly

I'd love it just to see the massive hypocritical reaction by the people cheering Epic's moneyhatting.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You must've missed all the "Stick it to Valve" and hope "Valve suffers so they make HL3" posts, Valve is one of those companies that get irrational hatred by many posters around here, some with a feverish fanaticism. And like you said there's no options given by Epic's move, only options taken off the table.

I wish they would make more traditional games but other than that Steam/Valve has been great. But what do I know, Sandersson thinks I'm some peasant console fanboy. The hostlie attitude seems to be going both ways and is uncalled for.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Do you think some consoles have a monopoly and that is why they moneyhat titles?

I don't think any console has a monopoly but if you throw enough money at something , you can convince someone to do something other than what they originally planned such as with shadow of tomb raider.

I mean these companies simply didn't decide to all of a sudden on good faith to stop releasing games on one platform that they previously announced and had a store page just to jump over exclusively (excluding their own store I.e Ubisoft) to another store - money is involved, these are businesses , not some charity group.

If one group does moneyhatting, I expect the competitor to do so the same soon.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
We as customers shouldn't worry about that fee. We should instead worry about getting what the games we want, where we want them, packaged in a way that we're comfortable with, at a price we think is fair.

What? There's a reason people buy free range eggs and fair trade coffee. Many people believe, rightfully so, that companies have a social responsibility. It's up to you where your line is or what you're willing to give up.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What? There's a reason people buy free range eggs and fair trade coffee. Many people believe, rightfully so, that companies have a social responsibility. It's up to you where your line is or what you're willing to give up.

If Valves revenue split was completely unjust, and where they didn't give anything back for what they take, your comparison would hold up better. Trying to paint supporting the Epic Store revenue split as something akin to social responsibility is just plain silly.

If I had the option to pay more, for a product where the devs get a bit more, and the product is "ecological" (less DRM and similiar stuff) then I would gladly pay that. That's a better comparison with how I chose which groceries. But as with groceries, I will not the same or more for a lesser product, which is why the Epic Store is a bad option for me, and in that context, the revenue split cannot be something I as customer base my purchasing decisions on.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Itch.io offers a bigger cut in games than epic or steam yet none of these well known pubs and devs went to their store

I wonder why ....