• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Epic is putting in 2 of the reasons everyone in this thread crying keeps bringing up for why their store sucks and they will ONLY buy steam products (even people that don't live in regions that need regional pricing), the reasons to remain only with steam are slowly shrinking to "Because I'm a PC gamer that wants to be a console warrior at heart" and that's gonna be largely it.

giphy.gif

10/10 I legitimately laughed

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you've read any of the thread if you believe this.

A) They're not losing millions of sales. The number of people that REFUSE to buy anything not on steam is miniscule and only getting smaller over time, not bigger.
B) They don't require 'compensation' in the sense you're trying to paint it, they get flatly more money on the Epic store. It's not a moneyhat, it's a business decision based on Epic offering them more than Steam.

Now that Epic is putting in 2 of the reasons everyone in this thread crying keeps bringing up for why their store sucks and they will ONLY buy steam products (even people that don't live in regions that need regional pricing), the reasons to remain only with steam are slowly shrinking to "Because I'm a PC gamer that wants to be a console warrior at heart" and that's gonna be largely it.
You have no idea what your talking about and if you honestly believe that Epic is not giving Ubisoft some extra money for exclusivity than you are naive or delusional or both especially since there's proof it has happened multiple times in the last month. The number of people buying on the epic store I bet you is tiny compared to buying it on steam and I have no doubt in my mind that will continue.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

A) They're not losing millions of sales. The number of people that REFUSE to buy anything not on steam is miniscule and only getting smaller over time, not bigger.
B) They don't require 'compensation' in the sense you're trying to paint it, they get flatly more money on the Epic store. It's not a moneyhat, it's a business decision based on Epic offering them more than Steam.

You underestimate the amount of people that buy games because they are on sale, on the front page, or just one click away from an impulse purchase while you are already in the launcher.

Sales: - Epic already said, they are not big on Sales and you must first open the EGS to go to the sale.
Front Page: - if you don't open the epic launcher, you don't see the front page and you don't see that game xyz is out now or be reminded that it came out 3 months ago and you wanted to try it out.
Impulse purchases: You can't impulse buy if you are not in the launcher.

Yes, many many people will buy the game regardless, but don't underestimate the tens of thousands and in the case of big publishers, the hundreds of thousands of impulse buyers/late buyers/sale buyers.
Also: don't underestimate the reluctance of people to add purchase information to yet another storefront. Do you know how many people still only buy games through the adding of Steam gift-cards? PSN and xbox-live gift-cards are always bestsellers on Amazon. If the EGS doesn't have gift-cards, they lose a bunch of customers who only buy games through gift cards (especially in specific countries outside US/EU, where game purchases through gift cards are the norm)

BTW: Do Fortnite players even see the front page of the EGS when they start the game?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair the Epic store only has about 12 games on it so that sounds perfect ;)

That's lifetime ownership. So, we are looking at 1 to 2 games a year. ;)

Edit: If I was Ubi and Epic had me convinced on possible Fortnite Audience engagement, I would have included a penalty payment in the contract if the numbers were below the minimum amount of what Epic convinced me would be guaranteed buyers. (And a bonus payment if it was above the highest number)

Last edited:

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I've never played the first game, but since it was available on uplay and steam, was there any in-game global friends-list? (e.g, you can play with the people on the same platform on PC regardless of where you got the game right?)

Just wondering because I don't have anyone on the Epic Games launcher. If friends buy it on uplay will I be able to play with them and or add them to an in-game friends list (if there is one)?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt Epic paid Ubi anything.

There's no way Unisoft didn't receive a good chunk of cash to keep the game away from Steam.

I didn't actually think they had (or would), was just double checking because we're talking like it's gospel. Maybe a very well educated guess but was just checking I hadn't missed something.

Yeah, just an educated guess, no official confirmation. Epic said they'll be making paid exclusivity deals, Ubisoft presomably likes money, people put two and two together.

Epic Games saving Pc gaming from the tyrannical monopoly by Valve.

Epic rebels vs Darth Gaben.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018

Your argument has a pretty significant flaw. If Ubisoft didn't care about Steam's sales and only cared about getting the maximum cut, THEY WOULD JUST SELL THEIR GAMES EXCLUSIVELY ON UPLAY. Yes, Uplay, their own distribution platform where they make 100% profit from each sale. The only reason Ubisoft would remove Division 2 from Steam instead of simply offering it on both Steam and Epic is if Epic gave them a sizable bribe to remove the game from Steam. Rest assured, just like all of the other Epic "exclusives," Division 2 will be released on Steam exactly one year after it launches on the Epic Store.

I swear, the anti-Steam/pro-Epic pundits don't even try.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've never played the first game, but since it was available on uplay and steam, was there any in-game global friends-list? (e.g, you can play with the people on the same platform on PC regardless of where you got the game right?)

Just wondering because I don't have anyone on the Epic Games launcher. If friends buy it on uplay will I be able to play with them and or add them to an in-game friends list (if there is one)?
Yes, you will be able to play with your friends.

Ubisoft games, even the Steam version, will require you to install and login to Uplay. So on top of Steam, the Uplay launcher will open when you start the game. I believe this will be the case for EGS version too.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I did miss the news last month - thanks for the link.

Those cuts - 30% up to $10m, 25% up to $50m, and 20% beyond that - are still pretty far out from what Epic store are offering.

Ubisoft maybe have it worked out that they would still turn a greater profit from shifting from Steam.
This is before you factor in that any developer can create thousands upon thousands of free steam keys and then sell their games on their own website (or on other storefronts) without Valve getting a single penny. So the effective Valve cut is even lower

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This steam key argument comes up frequently, it might be have been relevant years ago mostly for indie games, but its not salient anymore. Games are a service now, especially stuff like the Division, nobody wants to continue paying Valve 30% of all service generated revenue like season passes, microtransactions etc
Ignoring that the steam cut on a game like The Division wouldn't be 30% anyway..

I dunno. Seems like direct sales to consumers is still pretty high. Who should I believe? You or the devs at GDC?
salesbreakdown.png

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument has a pretty significant flaw. If Ubisoft didn't care about Steam's sales and only cared about getting the maximum cut, THEY WOULD JUST SELL THEIR GAMES EXCLUSIVELY ON UPLAY. Yes, Uplay, their own distribution platform where they make 100% profit from each sale. The only reason Ubisoft would remove Division 2 from Steam instead of simply offering it on both Steam and Epic is if Epic gave them a sizable bribe to remove the game from Steam. Rest assured, just like all of the other Epic "exclusives," Division 2 will be released on Steam exactly one year after it launches on the Epic Store.

I swear, the anti-Steam/pro-Epic pundits don't even try.

They ARE getting 100% of the important microtransaction revenue on the epic store. That's huge.

Oct 25, 2017

Why would you buy it on Epic? Just get it on Uplay, you'll only have to deal with one launcher that way. You can even get Uplay keys from third party key sellers for cheaper than Epic's store.

Friends list is your Uplay friends list no matter what.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
They ARE getting 100% of the important microtransaction revenue on the epic store. That's huge.

Getting 100% of the microtransaction, DLC and base game sales revenue would be even better. If they were truly concerned only with getting the biggest cut, they would just sell exclusively on Uplay like EA does on Origin. They would also pull Far Cry: New Dawn and all future games from Steam as well. Hell, they could just pull all of their games right now. But they won't because Epic only paid them to pull Division 2.

It actually works out really nicely for Ubisoft. They're still selling Division 2 on Uplay and the game requires Uplay even if you buy it on EGS, so many customers will likely just buy it on Uplay now whereas before they would have bought it on Steam. The game is multiplayer and Ubisoft plans to support it beyond the first year so when it returns to Steam, there will still be interest in it thanks to DLC.

Last edited:

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what they are hoping to achieve with this.

Why should I buy it on the EPIC Store, when I can buy it directly from Uplay?

There is no added value to it. I would understand if someone wants to buy the game from steam, but with EGS there is nothing they bring to the table. Why should I even care about their launcher in this case?

(And the keys for Uplay will propably be cheaper than EGS)

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
you're willing to give up
Oh, fuck this mentality.

God damn no one likes having a rug pulled under them and there is no "betterment" for anyone except the 1% when power plays that involve market take overs. Epic (and anyone else for that matter) who keep saying these "we the good guys cuz of Fortnite" statements have to stop when you pull last minute shit like Metro and Ashen. You want prove your god damned worth? Just have it available with no strings attached. That's it. But that's not what been happening. The longevity of this debate probably would have been cut short if they just stuck with odd/legendary titles and games early in development but they couldn't just do just that because apparently becoming so big (of an already big studio), so fast makes you throw Fuck You money around.

Seriously, what the fuck is happening to PC gamers? This exclusivity streak and scheming goes against the very spirit of this platform. The supposed forward march towards freedom that such versatility holds and you want it to be thrown away? For what? Over some promise from a conglomerate that they won't fuck you over in the end?

*looks at Durante's post*
Far as I can tell, Ubisoft is a bigger company than Epic so why would they be moneyhatted by smaller fish...unless that smaller fish is supported by a fish bigger than you.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

There is no added value to it. I would understand if someone wants to buy the game from steam, but with EGS there is nothing they bring to the table. Why should I even care about their launcher in this case?

(And the keys for Uplay will propably be cheaper than EGS)
True. On top of that, Epic version will also launch Uplay on top of Epic launcher anyway, just like Steam version.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Does the Division allow for unified accounts? I tried looking it up but I don't see that or crossplay as an option. Epic stated they will be bringing their certain Fortnite features to all games sold on the Epic store during q3 this year and they specifically mentioned unified accounts.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
I find it hilarious that Tim Sweeny would consistently bitch about win10 and MS trying to break steam, and now his own company is trying to take over with its non customer friendly practices.

Thanks Tim. Cant hear a peep out of you now can we.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well this just pushes more and note away from pc gaming. If I can't treat my PCs like a console then there is no point. This also means no more yearly pc builds so I guess that's a good thing lol.