• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
2018-tom-clancys-the-division-2-4k-6f.jpg
In its financial report today, Ubisoft says that The Division 2 is the best-selling game of 2019 in terms of units sold. The company says its estimates are based on numbers from NPD, GSD, GFK, and Famitsu, as well as Ubisoft's internal metrics, and covers sales worldwide.
Estimating The Division 2's success has been surprisingly awkward so far. Shortly after the game's launch, Ubisoft said The Division 2 sales have failed to meet expectations on console, but they're in line with with the original on PC. The game's now on the Epic Games store instead of Steam, which has resulted in the game selling ten times more on Uplay than the original.
Back in March, we saw retail figures from the UK that revealed that The Division 2's physical launch has only managed 20% of the sales of Division 1, and those console-focused retail numbers lines up with what we'd heard about the console sales elsewhere.

Real impressive stuff. Even with no new Assassin's Creed game this year, Ubisoft are still making bank off the Tom Clancy games.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird because I feel like I've heard next to nothing regarding buzz for this game. Whether it was pre-release or after. If it wasn't for the hard sales numbers, I would have assumed it actually bombed.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It was great from start to finish but sadly it didn't keep me engaged nearly as long as the first. After a couple weeks, my whole group completely stopped playing and haven't been back since.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Always figured this game low-key did mad numbers, kinda like Wildlands did when it first came out

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Ubi really came out on top with this strategy, didn't they XD
Mmm... yeah, since on Uplay they made 100% of the cut, so it's better for them then Epic (88%) and especially Steam (70%).

Nice strategy indeed ^^

[and they got free money from Epic too, so in one move they pushed ppl away from Steam to their store getting a ton of sells by using Epic store hate]

Feb 21, 2019
I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

It was super smooth and the looter shooter done right. I always felt like it was time well spent when I logged off.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had fun with it. Just wished we could buy clothing outright instead of looking for it in random backpacks/bags.

Oct 25, 2017
Its a real shame the endgame basically didnt exist when it launched and the loot drop scale was all over the place at max level.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i stopped right before the raid came out. anything else new that i can come back and play (besides the raid)?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is on top of their game right now. They finally have their pipeline down to where they can usually hit on both quality and quantity as opposed to previous years having to choose one or the other.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is on top of their game right now. They finally have their pipeline down to where they can usually hit on both quality and quantity as opposed to previous years having to choose one or the other.

I was going to say something similar to this. Whatever Ubisoft's figured out, other AAA publishers need to do the same. They're releasing quality titles on a reasonable time table, while everyone else is still telling us "It's Coming Out When It's Ready" like it's a free project or some shit.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
i stopped right before the raid came out. anything else new that i can come back and play (besides the raid)?

Title Update 5 releases next week which makes changes to skills and the crafting bench (Allowing you to upgrade the bench to vraft 500 GS items and recalibrate crafted items)

Oh, and Episode 1 releases next week as well for Year 1 Pass Owners. Comes with two story missions, 3 new weapons, and expedition mode

Also TU5 adds matchmaking to the raid.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say something similar to this. Whatever Ubisoft's figured out, other AAA publishers need to do the same. They're releasing quality titles on a reasonable time table, while everyone else is still telling us "It's Coming Out When It's Ready" like it's a free project or some shit.

It's tough. Other big publishers have tried similar and it usually becomes a problem with management being able to corral multiple studios to follow similar workflows on the same project. I mean just look at how much of a nightmare Anthem was for EA working across only two studios. Even Activision has run into issues with it on CoD as we saw with Treyarch getting moved up to next year.

Ubisoft just seems to have really airtight and solid management and team structure that allows them to swap projects between multiple studios with little issue, at least externally.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Well deserved, the game is great, apart from endgame balance issues.

The EGS deal was always hilariously in Ubi's favor. The announced the Epic agreement then had a fantastic pre-order deal on uPlay like two weeks later.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's tough. Other big publishers have tried similar and it usually becomes a problem with management being able to corral multiple studios to follow similar workflows on the same project. I mean just look at how much of a nightmare Anthem was for EA working across only two studios. Even Activision has run into issues with it on CoD as we saw with Treyarch getting moved up to next year.

Ubisoft just seems to have really airtight and solid management and team structure that allows them to swap projects between multiple studios with little issue, at least externally.

I've seen people claim Ubisoft has problems internally, but it's not affected their work of the last...I'd say three years now. Since Watch Dogs 2 they've just been firing on all cylinders. In EA's case they allowed egos to get in the way of letting people with experience help. But the bigger problem is they seemed to have no idea wtf they were doing in pre-production, something which supposedly happens a lot with Bioware.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
It was great from start to finish but sadly it didn't keep me engaged nearly as long as the first. After a couple weeks, my whole group completely stopped playing and haven't been back since.
Yeah, I feel like the environment was just better in the first one. I don't know, maybe there was just too much going on in this one for it to feel like an apocalypse.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Got close to 100hrs out of it, end game sucked. Raid content offered nothing for solo players.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are realizing that buying an Ubisoft game outside of the Uplay store is stupid as hell, who TF wants two launchers when you are playing one game? I don't.

And yet, people were willing to buy a game that used two launchers (often paying more, since retail/cd key websites sold Uplay versions and would usually have pre-launch discounts) as long as they could have it on Steam with the extra stuff you get from that. This only shows that, not that "People are realizing that buying an Ubisoft game outside of the Uplay store is stupid as hell"

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Holy shit. Not sure if scathing indictment of the performance of the Epic Games Store, or genius-level decision making by Ubisoft to cash that Epic cheque and increase sales on their own digital storefront.

Or...both.

It's genius. Steam takes a 30 percent cut, right? Well every game on Uplay we have to imagine nets Ubi a 100 percent take. This means that they could sell a significantly less amount of copies but still either break even or make more money. This doesn't even consider whatever upfront money they got from Epic, in addition to the Epic store's standard more developer friendly cut.

Ubisoft is absolutely winning with this decision.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Yeah, I feel like the environment was just better in the first one. I don't know, maybe there was just too much going on in this one for it to feel like an apocalypse.
Its 6 months after outbreak, so naturally it's be less apocalyptic and more focused on rebuilding society and hostile factions who have their own agenda over what must be achieved to rebirth society and vice versa

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Mmm... yeah, since on Uplay they made 100% of the cut, so it's better for them then Epic (88%) and especially Steam (70%).

Nice strategy indeed ^^

[and they got free money from Epic too, so in one move they pushed ppl away from Steam to their store getting a ton of sells by using Epic store hate]
Actually on steam they would be getting 80% of the money. Given they generate >50m revenue

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It ain't doing well playerbase wise

l2Npfkt.png

It's below Battlefront 2, Borderlands 2 and ESO. Hell NHL 19 is above it and Halo 5.