• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good, I dunno, written guide on how to get all the exotics? Kinda just wanna collect 'em since I don't feel motivation to do much else atm. Video guides fucking suck ass.

Googling around I keep finding incomplete shit and it's really annoying.

Or I'm bad at finding them. I'm probably bad.

Probably not. These gaming site guides often poorly convey information or care more about offloading the weapon stats instead of telling you how to obtain them (the method itself squirreled away on another page). I'll attempt to best summarise the ones available so far:

The GS/WT blueprint upgrade for an Exotic usually appears at vendors once that weapon is crafted, you obtain generic Exotic Components (required for upgrades) by deconstructing other Exotic weapons. Also, these methods can be repeated.

Sweet Dreams (shotgun) and Merciless (rifle): RNG drops from named Outcast and Hyena bosses respectively. Better doing story missions tied to those factions on the higher Hard or Challenging difficulties for a shot.

Lullaby (shotgun) and Ruthless (rifle): respective aesthetic blueprint conversions obtained from the pre-order/Ultimate Edition bonuses (also appearing as Lvl 1 weapons for new characters). These blueprints require a Sweet Dreams or Merciless of at least GS 250 and honestly seem to be a waste of time.

Chatterbox (SMG): multi-stage
  1. Note: can't be done in a day due to the 24-hour reset timers for locked crates.
  2. Farm Hyena keys from either underground wall boxes or Hyena bounties.
  3. I recommend completing the following non-invaded Hyena missions for three Exotic SMG parts in these crates: Loaded Canister (Grand Washington - after the minigun lobby, up the stairs, in the small bathroom on the right), Creative Mag (Jefferson Trade Center - on the right side of loading dock at the end of the garage segment) and Modified Mods (District Union Arena Stronghold - inside the mall (with named boss Brooks), in the ground floor room opposite the escalators).
  4. With all three components in tow, play the Bank Headquarters mission on Challenging difficulty. In the CEO office (see here), open a side panel that drops an RIFD card that enables entry for the left-side vault room with a Hyena crate that drops the Chatterbox Blueprint.
  5. Craft it.

Liberty (pistol): multi-stage, endgame.
  1. Note: must have a high-end (gold) D50/Desert Eagle pistol, a superior purple one doesn't work.
  2. Killing Kendra Nelson at the Capitol Building Stronghold drops the Pistol: Trigger & Mechanism component is required to start this. By the endgame, all players should have it.
  3. On at least Hard difficulty, obtain the following components: Pistol: Receiver & Paint Job, from Captain Briggs at the end of the American History Museum, Pistol: Sight & Rail from Staff Sergeant Carl Wade at the end of Viewpoint Museum, and Pistol: Grip & Tags (with Kendra's Liberty Blueprint) from Master Sergeant Steve "Junior" Quiroz at the end of the Space Administration HQ mission .
  4. Get to crafting.

Nemesis (marksman rifle): multi-stage, endgame.
  1. Note: can't be done in a day, drops depend on invasion availability of the rotating weekly invasions.
  2. Play the Tidal Basin Stronghold at WT4 to enter WT5.
  3. Replay Tidal Basin. In the building where Manny tells you to patch ISAC into a laptop, there's a keycard upstairs on the bunk beds.
  4. At back of hovercraft bay, before heading out, unlock the left-side room with a weapon crate that drops a high marksman rifle: the Adrestia SR-1.
  5. Deconstruct it to obtain the first component: Marksman Rifle: Scope - The Tally. Its inscription gives a clue for the three drops acquired from Black Tusk named bosses.
  6. Obtain Marksman Rifle: Barrel - The Scourge from David "Prime" Maxwell of Invaded Capitol Building, Marksman Rifle: Bolt from Erin "Shorty" Linwood of Invaded Roosevelt Island, and Marksman Rifle: Stock - The Bridle from Aurora "Klutz" Kay of Invaded District Union Arena.
  7. Finally, the Nemesis Blueprint will drop from Phaedra "Puck" Lao at the lobby of Invaded Grand Washington.
  8. Craft this beast.

Pestilence (LMG): RNG drop from named bosses in any of the three DZs.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. These gaming site guides often poorly convey information or care more about offloading the weapon stats instead of telling you how to obtain them (the method itself squirreled away on another page). I'll attempt to best summarise the ones available so far:

The GS/WT blueprint upgrade for an Exotic usually appears at vendors once that weapon is crafted, you obtain generic Exotic Components (required for upgrades) by deconstructing other Exotic weapons. Also, these methods can be repeated.

Sweet Dreams (shotgun) and Merciless (rifle): RNG drops from named Outcast and Hyena bosses respectively. Better doing story missions tied to those factions on the higher Hard or Challenging difficulties for a shot.

Lullaby (shotgun) and Ruthless (rifle): respective aesthetic blueprint conversions obtained from the pre-order/Ultimate Edition bonuses (also appearing as Lvl 1 weapons for new characters). These blueprints require a Sweet Dreams or Merciless of at least GS 250 and honestly seem to be a waste of time.

Chatterbox (SMG): multi-stage
  1. Note: can't be done in a day due to the 24-hour reset timers for locked crates.
  2. Farm Hyena keys from either underground wall boxes or Hyena bounties.
  3. I recommend completing the following non-invaded Hyena missions for three Exotic SMG parts in these crates: Loaded Canister (Grand Washington - after the minigun lobby, up the stairs, in the small bathroom on the right), Creative Mag (Jefferson Trade Center - on the right side of loading dock at the end of the garage segment) and Modified Mods (District Union Arena Stronghold - inside the mall (with named boss Brooks), in the ground floor room opposite the escalators).
  4. With all three components in tow, play the Bank Headquarters mission on Challenging difficulty. In the CEO office (see here), open a side panel that drops an RIFD card that enables entry for the left-side vault room with a Hyena crate that drops the Chatterbox Blueprint.
  5. Craft it.

Liberty (pistol): multi-stage, endgame.
  1. Note: must have a high-end (gold) D50/Desert Eagle pistol, a superior purple one doesn't work.
  2. Killing Kendra Nelson at the Capitol Building Stronghold drops the Pistol: Trigger & Mechanism component is required to start this. By the endgame, all players should have it.
  3. On at least Hard difficulty, obtain the following components: Pistol: Receiver & Paint Job, from Captain Briggs at the end of the American History Museum, Pistol: Sight & Rail from Staff Sergeant Carl Wade at the end of Viewpoint Museum, and Pistol: Grip & Tags (with Kendra's Liberty Blueprint) from Master Sergeant Steve "Junior" Quiroz at the end of the Space Administration HQ mission .
  4. Get to crafting.

Nemesis (marksman rifle): multi-stage, endgame.
  1. Note: can't be done in a day, drops depend on invasion availability of the rotating weekly invasions.
  2. Play the Tidal Basin Stronghold at WT4 to enter WT5.
  3. Replay Tidal Basin. In the building where Manny tells you to patch ISAC into a laptop, there's a keycard upstairs on the bunk beds.
  4. At back of hovercraft bay, before heading out, unlock the left-side room with a weapon crate that drops a high marksman rifle: the Adrestia SR-1.
  5. Deconstruct it to obtain the first component: Marksman Rifle: Scope - The Tally. Its inscription gives a clue for the three drops acquired from Black Tusk named bosses.
  6. Obtain Marksman Rifle: Barrel - The Scourge from David "Prime" Maxwell of Invaded Capitol Building, Marksman Rifle: Bolt from Erin "Shorty" Linwood of Invaded Roosevelt Island, and Marksman Rifle: Stock - The Bridle from Aurora "Klutz" Kay of Invaded District Union Arena.
  7. Finally, the Nemesis Blueprint will drop from Phaedra "Puck" Lao at the lobby of Invaded Grand Washington.
  8. Craft this beast.

Pestilence (LMG): RNG drop from named bosses in any of the three DZs.
Wow! Thanks a lot, this is so much better and cleaner than any of these dumb guides I keep finding. You're my hero. :D

Rick Sanchez

Oct 27, 2017
i left every side missions so i play them when i reach higher levels, now they disappear from the map ... Does anyone know what's happening?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Got Nemesis. What a beauty. I love the way this weapon works. I finally have something that makes me want to put down Liberty.

nUhrs6E.png
Nice screenshot...!!!!

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is only €36 on CDkeys right now so I had to get it.

Any tips for newcomers to the franchise?

Feb 10, 2018
Is there a real "ending" to this game ? I mean, I beat the last mission, and the Black Tusk have invaded the map and all, but this was quite underwhelming, I mean there was no cutscene or anything, just a bunch of menus explaining the principles of World Tiers, Invaded Map, Equipment Points, but no real closure to the campaign, no credits, no nothing.

Will that happen if I beat the Black Tusks or is it never ending ?

Do we know when we have "beaten" the game ?

Sometimes it feels to me that The Division is just a glorified and very complex "clicker", like cookie clicker, that asks you to replay the game over and over again to have better stats to fight stronger enemies to get stronger loot with better stats to fight stronger enemies with no real sense of closure

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a real "ending" to this game ? I mean, I beat the last mission, and the Black Tusk have invaded the map and all, but this was quite underwhelming, I mean there was no cutscene or anything, just a bunch of menus explaining the principles of World Tiers, Invaded Map, Equipment Points, but no real closure to the campaign, no credits, no nothing.

Will that happen if I beat the Black Tusks or is it never ending ?

Do we know when we have "beaten" the game ?

Sometimes it feels to me that The Division is just a glorified and very complex "clicker", like cookie clicker, that asks you to replay the game over and over again to have better stats to fight stronger enemies to get stronger loot with better stats to fight stronger enemies with no real sense of closure
Welcome to the world of looters.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
It's not incomplete, I checked it before I posted it.

Each exotic's description has a link at the bottom on how to get the exotic.

Have a nicer day.
Check out the Nemesis section, bud. The guide it links to was still incomplete last I checked a couple days ago. It's finally correct now, but it wasn't before. They haven't bothered updating that paragraph, ironically enough. This is the guide I've been using (until now, 'cause Aangster is a cool person), so I'm already familiar with it. Which is unfortunate, because it's a fuckin' mess.
there's like 40 guides on how to get them, you're not reading or want information spoon fed in once sentence. exotics take a bit of work
there's also dozens of YouTube videos.
I mean you'll note that I said in my original post I don't want video guides. I don't like them. They're far too time-consuming. And I've perused over a dozen guides and they're all organized incredibly poorly or drowning in ads and I haven't found a single one that has all the information collated in an actual readable fashion.

Y'all got some real weird hangups, huh. Chill.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never played that kind of game before. So that means that there's no real ending ?

I don't really understand how players can keep playing then, if the only reward means stronger enemies (more damage and hp) and no real evolution or change
Because you enjoy the game play loop? Diablo, Wow, destiny, they are all the same. You keep playing because you enjoy the activities and playing with friends

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm legit annoyed I can't get Nemesis for another two weeks. Sniping is the only thing I really enjoy in this game (unless/until they make a skill build actually viable). ):

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else using a controller on PC? Have you found any issues? I'm only interested in the PvE part myself.

GazzaGSi

Oct 28, 2017
Derby, UK

This took far longer than what I thought and probably should've gone in a pair rather than solo but hey, it's all worth it for a backpack trophy right..? Right?! :))

I was losing some control points quicker than I could take the others mid way through but was quite enjoyable planning which control point to take next and intercepting enemies on their way to a control point etc.

Missed no end of loot scattered around with CP's going down that quick. Mats full and bag full I just didn't have the time to sell off etc.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well, just finally finished the campaign and unlocked my specialization. I know I'm way, waaaayyyy behind most of you but it was such a great pace of content up to this point.

And now that I look at what I need to start working on... just a tad overwhelmed. Geez. Time to work on that GS.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the apparel event and knocked down District Union, so decided to take a break and switch to The Division 1 (which I've been playing through for the first time on and off). I'm sure time of day had something to do with this but I saw more players in the DZ in five minutes of Division 1 than I have in the 2-hour morning sessions I've been putting in all weekend in Division 2 to get my DZ level up to 50.

(The sign that I'm not really a DZ person: I vastly prefer the Div 2 experience and noped out as soon as I saw that first group of people, didn't even care that my contaminated gear would be destroyed)

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Anyone else using a controller on PC? Have you found any issues? I'm only interested in the PvE part myself.

What kind of problems would you expect ? I'm using a xb1 control and all is well .

Also to people speaking on the boot time, yes! What has happened with that?

The stuttering issues I had went away when I used dx11 too

Oct 30, 2017
Well, just finally finished the campaign and unlocked my specialization. I know I'm way, waaaayyyy behind most of you but it was such a great pace of content up to this point.

And now that I look at what I need to start working on... just a tad overwhelmed. Geez. Time to work on that GS.
Don't worry too much about it. Massive improved the initial endgame by highlighting Invasion missions that can help you up your GS relatively quickly. Doing those, coupled with the daily missions, should quicken things. Honestly, I've ignored control points and side missions since starting the endgame and now just run missions. Still having a blast.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So has anyone had hard crashes where they had to reboot the machine? I couldn't alt-tab out or bring up the task manager.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Nah, I've just never played looters before (so no Diablo, no Borderlands, etc) and never played MMORPGs, so I'm just surprised !

There's a difference between them, though. A good looter (in my book) will provide more than just levelling up and collecting, it will provide content that demands teamwork and skill (raids). For me WoW, for instance, was not about grinding loot (not really how it works anyway) but more about beating X or Y raid with friends: mechanics are king, not shinies. I got D2 recently to try the raid, and see how that goes. I played Destiny 1 and 2 because of raids (though I never felt satisfied in that series), not because of collecting guns (dull as hell). So looters can offer more than just grind, and for me actually they have to.

Is there an Xbox clan I could join? Preferably EU...

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between them, though. A good looter (in my book) will provide more than just levelling up and collecting, it will provide content that demands teamwork and skill (raids). For me WoW, for instance, was not about grinding loot (not really how it works anyway) but more about beating X or Y raid with friends. I got D2 recently to try the raid, and see how that goes. I played Destiny 1 and 2 because of raids (though I never felt satisfied in that series), not because of collecting guns. So looters can offer more than just grind, and for me actually they have to.

Is there an Xbox clan I could join? Preferably EU...

WoW isnt a looter game though, its just an MMORPG. The "grind" really is the core gameplay loop of a looter e.g. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, etc. I think so far The Division 2's failure as a looter is that a lot of the loot, especially the rarest stuff is a) flat out boring to get and b) Massive are invalidating the time investment of the grind. Exotics and gear sets dont need to more powerful than other options, but they should be build enabling/defining. At the moment the only real choice the game has is "what type of gun will I use". They need to make skill builds viable, they need to make exotics and gear sets build enabling. They can do all that without having them supplant high end gear (a problem the Division 1 had). Getting Pestilence should be like getting a Wand of Woh in D3, a chance to try out a fun new playstyle. It's nice that Massive seem engaged with the community. But while they seem to be making a lot of changes, beyond the bug fixes and such, not a lot of them are making me want to play the game more. Games like D3 or Path of Exile, or really anything with seasons, means people who enjoy these games are used to "starting over". But you generally arent doing it at the pace it looks like you'd have to here.

Feb 10, 2018
There's a difference between them, though. A good looter (in my book) will provide more than just levelling up and collecting, it will provide content that demands teamwork and skill (raids).

Well I think that's the problem with The Division 2 for me here : I never felt I needed real teamwork (appart from reviving friends and trying to spread out) and no strategy to beat the missions. It's just taking cover and shooting over and over. Maybe this changes at very high level ?

Oct 27, 2017
Well I think that's the problem with The Division 2 for me here : I never felt I needed real teamwork (appart from reviving friends and trying to spread out) and no strategy to beat the missions. It's just taking cover and shooting over and over. Maybe this changes at very high level ?
Same, though I don't mind not needing teamwork too much since being able to do stuff on your own has its benefits. I do wish the rest of the game required more strategy on my part.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Time to remind people of the insanely good OST this game has:

This one is basically straight out of a DOOM soundtrack

This one has these perfect drums+synths going on with that little synth "victory jingle" in the middle

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Same, though I don't mind not needing teamwork too much since being able to do stuff on your own has its benefits. I do wish the rest of the game required more strategy on my part.

Play Challenge or Heroic.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
The constant changes and nerfs killed my motivation to spend much effort fine-tuning my gear but the game still remains fun as hell to play. Finished apparel event and now I think I will try and get some exotics at least. But honestly, it's so much effort balancing everything for gear with the RNG, the colours and the recal restrictions for them to swing a wrecking ball through it every few weeks. Just makes me not want to bother and that is a big no-no for a looter-shooter in my book.

Got Nemesis. What a beauty. I love the way this weapon works. I finally have something that makes me want to put down Liberty.

nUhrs6E.png
Rad pic!

WoW isnt a looter game though, its just an MMORPG. The "grind" really is the core gameplay loop of a looter e.g. Diablo 3, Path of Exile, etc. I think so far The Division 2's failure as a looter is that a lot of the loot, especially the rarest stuff is a) flat out boring to get and b) Massive are invalidating the time investment of the grind. Exotics and gear sets dont need to more powerful than other options, but they should be build enabling/defining. At the moment the only real choice the game has is "what type of gun will I use". They need to make skill builds viable, they need to make exotics and gear sets build enabling. They can do all that without having them supplant high end gear (a problem the Division 1 had). Getting Pestilence should be like getting a Wand of Woh in D3, a chance to try out a fun new playstyle. It's nice that Massive seem engaged with the community. But while they seem to be making a lot of changes, beyond the bug fixes and such, not a lot of them are making me want to play the game more. Games like D3 or Path of Exile, or really anything with seasons, means people who enjoy these games are used to "starting over". But you generally arent doing it at the pace it looks like you'd have to here.

The bolded is not true at all, come on. And I definitely do not want to get into cycle of starting again frequently. I think starting again in those games is an optional thing for the season isn't it? Your actual character still persists...

Last edited:

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time to remind people of the insanely good OST this game has:

This one is basically straight out of a DOOM soundtrack

This one has these perfect drums+synths going on with that little synth "victory jingle" in the middle

Music is so great in this game (as it was in the first), yesterday I played the daily missions solo and made some encounters last so the music plays longer.
I love how dynamic it plays the music, before an encounter it slowly ramps up and waits for you to open fire to start the main part.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the new patch to drop is so damn boring. There is no reason to farm for gear at all at this point, because they will change the talents with the upcoming patch (with some ridiculous attribute requirements) and they're also gonna make changes to skill mods and power.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017

My fiance and I played through WT1-WT5 this past week. You basically only need to do the 2 invaded missions and stronghold to advance. You'll get enough gear in just those missions to proceed. We cleared a few control points and what not, but found all the missions fairly easy just the 2 of us and we hit the GS tier ceiling before the end of the stronghold. Don't put too much stock into GS beyond being able to unlock the strongholds. You'll start to get gear that includes "build around" talents that can easily last you a whole tier or more.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is not true at all, come on. And I definitely do not want to get into cycle of starting again frequently. I think starting again in those games is an optional thing for the season isn't it? Your actual character still persists...

Yeah it is generally an optional thing for seasons but the bolded part absolutely is true. What playstyle altering builds are there that arent built around what weapon type you're using? At the moments "builds" consist of stacking DTE and deciding to go crit or not (which will limit your weapon choices) and then throwing on some weapon specific damage. I've certainly enjoyed my time with the game but it's disappointing that there arent even decent skill builds. I wasnt expecting the same breadth of builds when moving over from TD1 but its painfully anaemic at the moment.

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
this game's builds do suck. 150 hours and I have like two that destroy everything.
guess it's good they are tweaking it but right now no point in playing unless it's for apparel event or dailies.
exotics suck as well, except maybe nemesis and that's bugged right now.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm also in a holding pattern right now. Have a Berserk AR/SMG Crit build and an AR/LMG UF build which both are great right now, will see how things change after the patch.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yeah,same here...taking a break,the grinding for exotics for instance is really annoying,I did at least 10 runs now of Potomac to get a chance at getting the sweet Dreams for the Lullaby and its not dropping from the Boss...Roosevelt on hard and up at the last section is hard enough already,having to do it over and over and not getting any drops gets old fast...why do they do this,this is a formula for end game that needs to change...they have made some good strives towards that with the World Tiers but I would of prefered if they made the leveling up from W1 TO 5 longer...you can achieve that in week and then you are back to the end game grind,waiting on new stuff or taking a break for new content...bring on the Raid,I will play less till then.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Don't worry too much about it. Massive improved the initial endgame by highlighting Invasion missions that can help you up your GS relatively quickly. Doing those, coupled with the daily missions, should quicken things. Honestly, I've ignored control points and side missions since starting the endgame and now just run missions. Still having a blast.
My fiance and I played through WT1-WT5 this past week. You basically only need to do the 2 invaded missions and stronghold to advance. You'll get enough gear in just those missions to proceed. We cleared a few control points and what not, but found all the missions fairly easy just the 2 of us and we hit the GS tier ceiling before the end of the stronghold. Don't put too much stock into GS beyond being able to unlock the strongholds. You'll start to get gear that includes "build around" talents that can easily last you a whole tier or more.
Thanks! Yeah it's been going quite smooth and just running through the invaded missions with randoms has proved to be quite fun. Really love how quick it is to group up and instantly travel to a player. I was a bit worried it would take forever but as you both mentioned, the gear comes quite fast and score goes up without much effort. Already 365 which I think is pretty darn fast for me.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah,same here...taking a break,the grinding for exotics for instance is really annoying,I did at least 10 runs now of Potomac to get a chance at getting the sweet Dreams for the Lullaby and its not dropping from the Boss...Roosevelt on hard and up at the last section is hard enough already,having to do it over and over and not getting any drops gets old fast...why do they do this,this is a formula for end game that needs to change...they have made some good strives towards that with the World Tiers but I would of prefered if they made the leveling up from W1 TO 5 longer...you can achieve that in week and then you are back to the end game grind,waiting on new stuff or taking a break for new content...bring on the Raid,I will play less till then.

How is 10 runs a lot? lol That's the main thing of loot games you play things over and over again till you get what you want, if this wasn't the game loop then those games would die super fast. Besides you should be doing DCD not PEC, as it's much faster and it drops the weapon more often.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
this game's builds do suck. 150 hours and I have like two that destroy everything.
guess it's good they are tweaking it but right now no point in playing unless it's for apparel event or dailies.
exotics suck as well, except maybe nemesis and that's bugged right now.

That is absolutely not true, if you have a build that destroys Heroic I would love to see it cause even with my op build it still takes time to clear it and even with 260K armor you die fast if you not careful.