• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft's latest big release, The Division 2, did not meet Ubisoft's commercial expectations on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The French publisher confirmed on an earnings call today that the console edition failed to meet sales targets, but sales of the PC edition were in line with Division 1.

"The Division 2 ended up short of our ambitious expectations on console. We believe this was due in large part to a more competitive market than expected," chief financial boss Frederick Dugue said, though he did not name any specific competitor titles.
Dugue added that he expects The Division 2 to "grow and gain traction" over time with new content releases such as the game's first big raid coming this week. He also noted that while The Division 2 did not meet sales expectations, the game was received very positively by fans.

For the PC edition specifically, sales on Ubisoft's own Uplay store surged 10 times compared to the original The Division. This was no doubt in part attributable to how The Division 2 was not released on Steam, in favor of coming to Uplay and the Epic Games Store.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-2-sales-fail-to-meet-ubisofts-targets/1100-6466940/

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yeah I'm not entirely sure how they could be confident after the beta ended. Final release is also quite a mess. Massive absolutely learned nothing from the first game in terms of balancing, granted it actually runs well and there are no game breaking bugs / people teleporting all around in the dark zone anymore but still. All of my friends dropped the game after not even one month and the raid doesn't seem to warrant a curiosity peek back ...

Missions are not as good and the atmosphere of this sequel also is missing out what made the first great in my opinion, which in turns makes the game less compelling in terms of farming. Sure there are a LOT of systems with bounties, hunters and everything but ultimately It's like looking at Rambo > Rambo 2 except Michael bay is in command for some reason of the sequel. Just not the same, and not as engaging

Should have went with the Survival dlc "feel" instead. It single handedly saved Div 1 for a good reason, same with Western Pier cementing that a bit after / Signal Lost, that was fantastic content

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I think the end of this gen approaching has made people a bit skiddish on jumping into a full GaaS and with anthem coming out just before and putting people off the idea too.

Division 2 will has a good word of mouth and I don't see it not selling well before it's time is up.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
There can only be so many Gaas Loot shooter on the market before people burnt out on all of them.....

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really do feel that a lot of kids are growing into PC gaming much more than they did when I was younger. Thanks to twitch etc and the huge success of Fortnite all the kids want a gaming PC. I have a 13 year old kid and every single one of his friends have ditched PS4/Xbox for PC. It's pretty amazing to see.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well the raid later today will be a big part of whether the game has legs moving forward and if people think they'll return later or just stop all together.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And i was laughed at when i told people that TD 2 was not going to be as successful as TD.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm not sure what the lesson here is, though. Division 2 had a great launch and didn't seem to suffer any of the issues that many other GAAS multiplayer loot shooters have this gen. Were the targets too high? Did it release at a bad time? I mean.. a lot of people still bought Anthem. Sure, there are always complaints about the details of these games, but the general reception to this game was good. It was definitely not sunk by word of mouth. Kind of a shame.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The Division 2 ended up short of our ambitious expectation

Maybe they should have aimed for realistic rather than ambitious. Surely the point of financial estimates is to produce as accurate a figure as possible? Putting forward the best case scenario is rarely going to match reality.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was division 2's location which made me not interested in the release.

And I personally don't want to commit to another online based game especially when we could be seeing what next generation looks like very soon

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't like The Division 1 or 2's beta, so skipped 2, I doubt I'll give it another shot, as none of my friends care either, but we'll see I guess, Ubi have been good at getting me in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they just reveal that 90% of Division 1 sales came from Steam? If total Division 1 sales equals total Division 2 sales, but Division 1 sales were 1/10th on Uplay Store, that means Steam sales were 90% of Division 1 sales. There could be a small amount of Epic sales for Division 2 obfuscating the numbers here, but it seems Steam was quite dominant for Uplay games and will still be for the games that Epic isn't making exclusive.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is good fun, but games company has unrealistic expectations is turning into a meme.

Just because you make something GAAS doesn't mean instant 15 million sales. Especially not in a saturated market where every fucking game wants you non stop playing it.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Can only speak for myself but I'm done with GaaS, especially freshly released ones. You can't fill a market with games that demand you play ONLY that game and expect every single one of them to be wildly successful.

Division 1 was also kind of clunky to play on console (tried the beta on PS4 which made me decide to get it on PC), maybe that impression carried over.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really do feel that a lot of kids are growing into PC gaming much more than they did when I was younger. Thanks to twitch etc and the huge success of Fortnite all the kids want a gaming PC. I have a 13 year old kid and every single one of his friends have ditched PS4/Xbox for PC. It's pretty amazing to see.
PC sales being in line with 1 don't really point to that.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately for Ubisoft, consumers backed the wrong horse - Anthem - and either got burned out on the genre from it or couldn't afford both.

I hope this doesn't make them scale back support for the game because it's a lot of fun.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
As a console player, I just find it too big of a commitment to keep up with what's going on in D2, in terms of changes, loot, builds, all the variables that change in each update are just overwhelming. When I log back in after a week or two away I am totally lost, just looking at pages of numbers and not really knowing what I'm doing. Like the first game I'll just most likely bail and play something less time-hungry. Shame, because I love the core of the game, just everything around it is bloated and seems unnecessarily complex for a cover shooter.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Division 2 lacked the woah factor reveal division 1 had, i think is the main cause

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Well the raid later today will be a big part of whether the game has legs moving forward and if people think they'll return later or just stop all together.

the raid won´t help with this, mostly it is under 5% of a community who participate in raid content. TD2 is very casual with matchmaking for everything, most people won´t look for a group to raid externally.

the raid is more or less reserved for the hard core group of people playing and not for the masses as it is with every raid content.

As a console player, I just find it too big of a commitment to keep up with what's going on in D2, in terms of changes, loot, builds, all the variables that change in each update are just overwhelming. When I log back in after a week or two away I am totally lost, just looking at pages of numbers and not really knowing what I'm doing. Like the first game I'll just most likely bail and play something less time-hungry. Shame, because I love the core of the game, just everything around it is bloated and seems unnecessarily complex for a cover shooter.

this

for a sequel the game was severly unfinished when it comes to gear systems and stuff, it was like a full price early access release, too much changed in too short of a time and the missing world tier 5 was also a problem which turned people away from the game.

they should have taken more time and made it a next gen game, would have been wiser.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for Ubisoft, consumers backed the wrong horse - Anthem - and either got burned out on the genre from it or couldn't afford both.

I hope this doesn't make them scale back support for the game because it's a lot of fun.

And said consumers yet again have their trust eroded in AAA.

Stop pre-ordering games and don't support companies that lie to you or deceive you.

But yes another offshoot problem with GAAS is just how much shit launches broken, incomplete or with half the stuff missing promised at E3. Can't blame consumers for thinking I'll pick it up in 6 months or more.

And then after that 6 months passes another 4000 GAAS clones have released or its time for the yearly entry of the other competing franchise.

TD2 definitely wasn't the worst offender of this but given where TD1 ended the TD2 was almost like a clean slate again and did have quite a few bugs at launch. Last time I played it I still couldn't complete a fucking side mission that had been bugged for over a month.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Anthem was also below expectations
?

The Division 2 uPlay sales are x10 better The Division.
Read the OP
The French publisher confirmed on an earnings call today that the console edition failed to meet sales targets, but sales of the PC edition were in line with Division

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People here keep on saying that the UK sales were/are unrepresentative of anything but the decline for this series here was enormous. Sure digital and all but still, I was sure surprised and lo and behold it was not wholly unrepresentative after all.

BaronVonJof

Apr 12, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm literally burned out by Gaas. I simply can't spend any more time on them. Played Division 1, Division 2, Destiny, Destiny 2, Anthem It's just too much of a time commitment keeping up to date and highest level and all that crap.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC sales being in line with 1 don't really point to that.

Has the xbox and ps4 lost sales? So that would mean PC is not following the market trend. Even if it's flat in a market that is seeing decline it is a positive. If the reason that sales have floundered are due to competing products (fortnite etc) It would say to me that they are migrating to PC as those players are playing on PC and purchasing the game on PC. I would also put the point out there that if it was still on steam PC version would have seen growth.

Do we have a split of numbers, by platform for PS4/xbox one?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
?

The Division 2 uPlay sales are x10 better The Division.
Read the OP

The Division 2 sold about as much as The Division 1, but 10 times more on Uplay because it isn't on steam anymore.

In other words: The EGS exclusivity helped Ubisoft push more sales on their own platform, while getting a nice money infusion from Epic. Still, total sales are about on the same level as Division 1. Which isn't great for a sequel.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The Division 2 sold about as much as The Division 1, but 10 times more on Uplay because it isn't on steam anymore.

In other words: The EGS exclusivity helped Ubisoft push more sales on their own platform, while getting a nice nice money infusion from Epic. Still, total sales are about on the same level as Division 1. Which isn't great for a sequel.

Oh my bad then.

I really can't read this morning, second oopsie today

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Game has really good woman, I picked it up last week and am really enjoying it. And the way ubi supports games, I wouldn't be surprised if it has good legs. This is the first loothooter to catch my attention, and I'm sure it'll end up fine in the end.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Borderlands 3 is going to be crazy tho, judging by pre orders alone. It's not the genre, it's just the game in this case. Div 2 isn't great despite having an actually fun AI to play against
is borderlands is full gaas loot shooter like destiny, division, anthem though that requires full online requirement?

Based on my experience with both BL1 and 2, BL always seems to me like a fps diablo with online coop as an add-on. You can play BL1&2 entirely offline by yourself. while division, destiny, anthem can't even get past the title screen without an internet connection.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Has the xbox and ps4 lost sales? So that would mean PC is not following the market trend. Even if it's flat in a market that is seeing decline it is a positive. If the reason that sales have floundered are due to competing products (fortnite etc) It would say to me that they are migrating to PC as those players are playing on PC and purchasing the game on PC. I would also put the point out there that if it was still on steam PC version would have seen growth.
Not meeting expectations doesn't necessarily mean less sales, though given TD1's massive hype and massive disappointment it left many, probably a safe bet it's sold less.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the first game for about The Division. I really enjoyed it personally, those 50 or so hours were pretty much a 9/10 experience for me. But I felt that it was... enough. The endgame didn't interest me much, and the sequel, on the surface, did nothing to reignite my interest. Will likely mess around with it once it gets cheap because the core gameplay still looks great, but nowadays it's not what I am looking for anymore. The consensus seems that the game improved a lot on the first game, but I never really saw it as a game that can convince people who were disappointed by the first game, so it was always gonna appeal to a smaller group me thinks.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
is borderlands is full gaas loot shooter like destiny, division, anthem though that requires full online requirement?

Based on my experience with both BL1 and 2, BL always seems to me like a fps diablo with online coop as an add-on. You can play BL1&2 entirely offline by yourself. while division, destiny, anthem can't even get past the title screen without an internet connection.

Ya you're correct, I had the looter thing in mind rather than the always online Gaas

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure what the lesson here is, though. Division 2 had a great launch and didn't seem to suffer any of the issues that many other GAAS multiplayer loot shooters have this gen. Were the targets too high? Did it release at a bad time? I mean.. a lot of people still bought Anthem. Sure, there are always complaints about the details of these games, but the general reception to this game was good. It was definitely not sunk by word of mouth. Kind of a shame.

A big part of it for me at least, its kinda well, boring to play at times, it's not that different from the first game and the bullet sponge enemies are kinda grating after a few hours

I do like the game, but theres not a lot keeping me engrossed compared to Destiny or even Fallout 76 at times

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Division is a known quantity at this point so you won't get the kind of numbers Div 1 launched with where millions just want to see what the fuss is about.

Division 2 is great and was hoping to be pleasantly surprised that sales somehow matched the first game's launch but i knew it was a moonshot

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Maybe they should have aimed for realistic rather than ambitious. Surely the point of financial estimates is to produce as accurate a figure as possible? Putting forward the best case scenario is rarely going to match reality.

They probably expected it to do Division 1 numbers which is normal for a sequel especially with the big difference in console install base. Looks like it did way lower on consoles from the data available.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry for the dumb question, but isn't the big sellling point of a GAAS game that there are no more sequels?