• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
On today's State of the Game stream, the developers of The Division 2 revealed the first details of their long-requested repeatable PVE mode, The Summit (previously known as "Skyscraper"). I posted all of this info in the Community thread, but figured some people who don't follow that anymore may want to know about it to jump back in, or as an excuse to pick up the game for the first time.

For anyone who would like to know about the previous changes to the game, please view our community OT thread here.

THE SUMMIT
Cost: Free for all players who own Warlords Of New York, comes with Title Update 11
Release Date: September 22nd

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.03.57-am.png
  • A brand new, repeatable PVE game mode that involves climbing 100 increasingly difficult floors of a Skyscraper and is meant to be repeatable and feel fresh each and action packed time you hop in.
  • It comes alongside new exotics, new weapons (including named), new gear (including gear sets) and a new brand set. Some are tied to this mode exclusively, but many are a part of the Season 3 content.
  • It scales, whether you're solo or with 4 players, so theoretically possible to solo the entire 100 floors (though Legendary floors will be very challenging).
  • Thought of as a greatest hits of experiences you've had - every faction, including those from New York, are possible, many types of objectives (hostage rescues, boss fights, warhound, etc.), intended to feel different each time you play.
  • Floor sections have pre-sets geometrically (the layouts), so the layouts are pre-defined, but what you get when, and with what factions/objectives, will be randomized. In other words, there is a lot of randomization, but the floor layouts have been crafted.
  • You can matchmake with randoms.
  • First time you do Summit, you have to do Floor by Floor, starting at level 1.
  • Every 10 floors are boss levels up to level 100. The bosses drop the equivalent of Stronghold level gear and XP. Each floor is roughly 1-3 big encounters.
  • Once you've beaten a boss level you unlock the rally point (so if you beat floor 10, you can start the next time at floor 11). Also, if your friend is higher, you can always just hop into their game even if you haven't unlocked that floor.
  • Once you die, you return to the previous elevator (which tend to be every 3 floors). So at least a death doesn't mean having to redo 8-9 floors.
  • Looks like Legendary difficulty starts at 81, Heroic at 61, Challenging at 31 or 41, etc. So once you unlock them, you can jump in to the level of difficulty you want.
  • Currently, single targeted loot type for the entire Skyscraper, but they are open to feedback on this (note: I think it would be great if your group could vote on the Targeted Loot).
  • Rogue agent encounters can happen in this.
  • No comment on Hunters (the secret bosses from Div 2 that are challenging and drop unique cosmetics)...wink wink, nudge nudge.
screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.03.43-am.png

Exotic From Completing The Summit Mode - Ridgeway's Pride

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.50.28-am.png
  • Ridgeway's Pride (unlocked from completing the summit, which unlocks a quest. Completing that quest allows you to craft this Exotic). Bleeding Edge talent: applies bleed to any enemy that you shoot within 10m. For enemies bleeding you gain Armor Regeneartion. If you hit 1, you get 2% armor regen/sec, 2 is 4%/sec, 5 is 25% (!) per second. Obviously, it's hard to get going, but strong if you can. Seems very strong in PVP, but they reminded us that resistance mods are being doubled come TU11, so probably easy-ish to reduce the bleed.
screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.38.59-am.png

** Other Updates Coming With Title Update 11 Not Related To Summit **

New Exotic Weapon - The Backfire:

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.30.30-am.png
  • The Backfire: as you shoot the enemy, you add a stack that ups your critical hit damage up to 200%. When you reload, you apply a 10 second bleed to yourself (barbed wire magazine seems great). That damage scales with the number of stacks you have (0.5% of total armor per tick of bleed - with 200 stacks, lose all of your armor). To be clear: it can kill yourself. But you can reduce the bleed through Hazard protection...including entirely. Available on the seasonal track.
New Weapons (each has a named version too):

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.29.16-am.png
  • Kard-45 (named version gives +1 skill tier when you are holding it)
  • Six12 Shotgun (named version gives armor on kills, not normally accessible as an attribute on weapons
New Exotic Gear - Memento's Backpack (this may be tied to the Summit mode, they weren't clear):

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.33.48-am.png
  • Memento Backpack: doesn't roll with secondary attributes. Rolls with all 3 core attributes. When you kill an enemy, they drop a trophy. When you collect the trophy, you receive 2 buffs. 1st buff lasts 10 seconds, but scales with the number of cores on your gear. All red build will gain 30% weapon damage. All blue build will gain 100-120% armor. All yellow will gain NEW ATTRIBUTE Skill Efficiency: 1% skill efficiency = 1% skill damage, skill health, skill duration, status effects, skill haste. It's the "ultimate hybrid exotic." For every trophy that you pick up you also get a long term buff (5 minutes). Gives you 1% weapon damage, 1% skill efficiency and .5% armor regen that stacks up to 30 times. So if no enemies to kill in an area, except for a boss, you should still have a buff going. So, ideally you are picking up individual trophies as you need them so that you have both buffs going at all times.
New Gear Set - Hunter's Fury (up close & personal):

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.25.12-am.png
  • 2 piece bonus: SMG & Shotgun Bonus
  • 3 piece bonus: armor on kill, health on kill
  • 4 piece: enemies within 15m receive a disorient debuff that also increases your damage by 20% (doesn't apply to teammates too)
New Brand Set - Belstone Armory (defensive):

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.43.40-am.png
  • 1 piece: 1% Armor regen
  • 2 piece: 10% Armor on Kill
  • 3 piece: 20% Incoming Repairs
New Named Gear:
  • Also two named gear pieces coming with Season 3 (Liquid Engineer and Everyday Carrier). One is Perfectly Efficient (75% chance to not consume medkit) and one is Perfect Bloodsucker (12% instead of...10% I believe)
New Skill - Shrapnel Trap (Reward For Season 3 Manhunt - Unrelated To Summit Mode)

screen-shot-2020-09-02-at-9.21.27-am.png
  • Can quick deploy quickly for area of effect - the way it works is you deploy a trap that has bouncing betty like sticky bombs that damage anything in the area.
PVP Changes:
  • Balance Adjustments: resistance mod power doubled, riot foam nerfed by 1 second, firewall burn on armor break won't work in PVP, pistol, rifle and marksman rifle damage nerfs from previous updates are going to be reverted to a degree (still testing numbers), shields will take more damage in PVP.
Agnostic Mods:
  • Mods slots will now be colourless (so you can add red, blue or yellow mod to any mask/chest/backpack)
Less Rainbow Rolls:
  • They are trying to have less gear drop with all three colours, since most builds are best as full specing into one colour (red for damage, yellow for skill, blue for tank). Most likely, the % chance that at least one attribute matches the core colour of a piece will be heavily weighted (expected to be around 75-80%).
Transmog:
  • They are adding appearance mods, so you can now keep the stats of your gear, but make it look like any other brand/gear set (not including Exotics)
...at first glance, it honestly looks like exactly what the community has been asking for. If the Rewards for the Heroic + Legendary floors are good (new exotics, gear, quests, etc.) and as efficient as playing the short missions or control points, this could be a real boost to the community.

Here's the full stream if anyone's interested in seeing some of it in action.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
In for the new Skyscraper mode we've been asking for since TD1 and I also like how that Hunter's Fury gear set sounds and looks...risk and reward.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome. Can't wait. Although same targeted loot for the whole thing is weird. Means some days it just won't be worth doing.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, this sounds great. Haven't played since a week or two after Warlords came out but might have to jump back in to try this out.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
A solo repeatable mode is exactly what I wanted from Division/Destiny, and it's finally here. Warlords was a good expansion and this just makes it even better.

Great stuff Massive.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Nice, I stopped playing a couple weeks into the season 2 manhunt bit I'll come back to give this a try.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
So how is the game compared to the first one? I was thinking to jump in.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Man I just un installed this game. This looks good but I never got to the endgame game so it might not even be worth for me to get back.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm interested, but I did burn out pretty hard on Warlords near the end of season 1 (especially with trying to do so many missions solo on very high difficulties for timed league events), and my feelings about Ubisoft and Tom Clancy stuff in general is a lot lower than it used to be for non-game-related reasons, so I dunno. It does sound fun but I'm also kind of concerned about how wild and horrific the top floors are going to get.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
Wonder if you have to complete the horrible, ridiculous final mission of Warlords that totally destroyed the game.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm this might make me finish the last mission of Warlords that made me quit and come give this a try.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So how is the game compared to the first one? I was thinking to jump in.
I would say: level design and the moment-to-moment encounters are way better. It's a lot of fun, the enemies have more flanking and tools at their disposal and there is more variety to them. The level 1-40 loop is a lot better, basically. Division 2's story is equally as mediocre as the first game's though (you won't really remember it and until the expansion, it feels a bit like it is lacking a true enemy). Where the game is a step back from Div 1 is PVP (honestly, it's just not balanced for fun) and lack of repeatable PVE content, which this seems to fix in a way that's been long-requested.

To be clear, there's a TON of content for PVE, whether playing solo or with friends, but if you've been at endgame for a year +, this is (orappears to be) the mode you've been waiting for.

Hmm. I'm interested, but I did burn out pretty hard on Warlords near the end of season 1 (especially with trying to do so many missions solo on very high difficulties for timed league events), and my feelings about Ubisoft and Tom Clancy stuff in general is a lot lower than it used to be for non-game-related reasons, so I dunno. It does sound fun but I'm also kind of concerned about how wild and horrific the top floors are going to get.
They've done a ton of balance passes since WONY came out. It feels like it's in a really good place. Heroic can be completed with most build types, but still requires some good positioning and prioritization. Legendary is very punishing, but there are some cookie cutter builds (skill damage turret + drone) that make it mostly a cakewalk even on consoles. That said, 20 floors of Legendary content in The Summit with random spawns may be really difficult.
Wonder if you have to complete the horrible, ridiculous final mission of Warlords that totally destroyed the game.
Hmmm this might make me finish the last mission of Warlords that made me quit and come give this a try.
They did a lot of balance passes on the game since then. I don't remember what the problem was, as I mostly beat it at launch and didn't both replaying much, but having had to play through it on Heroic recently for the Seasonal content, I found it very managable (and maybe even fun?).
Let's hope the scaling isn't that bad when there's 1 or 4 players.
It should scale similarly to the open world and missions, which is to say that Normal to Heroic should be a-ok for even solo play, and very very managable for groups. Legendary is the difficulty that can still be extremely punishing for solo players, just because of how hard enemies hit. But yeah, the original expansion scaling of 4 player missions has been fixed a long time ago. It was really ridiculous at one point.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't gotten around to WONY. Will see about picking it up next time there's a sale.
This looks neat though. I quite liked the idea of the underground in TD1 even though the execution was maybe not all there.

Last edited:

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Warlords of New York compared to the base game. I fucking loved the first one, but couldn't get into the second one much because of the setting maybe?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this comes with actual fixes for the various skill bugs in the game because I'm getting really tired of my repeated returns to Div 2 being punctuated with "oh guess I'm using assault turret and striker drone again since nothing else works remotely as reliably".

Or at least just consistently fix AI just running several blocks away in engagements because nothing kills a session faster for me than what should have been a relatively short side activity I did on a whim turning into a marathon of me trying to chase down the last remaining enemy and aggroing other patrolling events in the progress.

The Summit is really cool sounding though.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it when it was $2 on PC and maybe only got like to level 5, maybe I should go back.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
I would say: level design and the moment-to-moment encounters are way better. It's a lot of fun, the enemies have more flanking and tools at their disposal and there is more variety to them. The level 1-40 loop is a lot better, basically. Division 2's story is equally as mediocre as the first game's though (you won't really remember it and until the expansion, it feels a bit like it is lacking a true enemy). Where the game is a step back from Div 1 is PVP (honestly, it's just not balanced for fun) and lack of repeatable PVE content, which this seems to fix in a way that's been long-requested.

To be clear, there's a TON of content for PVE, whether playing solo or with friends, but if you've been at endgame for a year +, this is (orappears to be) the mode you've been waiting for.
Nicee, I was more of a PVE in the last one, will check it out, thank!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a bit like FFXIV's Palace of the Dead and Heaven on High.

This expansion was fantastic by the way, easily recommended. The gearing is much better than what it was at launch and it's fun to chase upgrades for the Calibration Library.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Nice this should get me over the hump of wanting to spend full price to get Avengers

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Will there be next gen enhancements coming?
They haven't said (I can't remember if the wording months ago was "we have nothing to announce yet" or "we aren't currently working on that,"), but the community has been pretty vocal about wanting 60FPS on console and...ideally...crossplay. Here's hoping bare minimum that the Series X and PS5 can just double the frame rate easily.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think (?) Ubisoft said they're going to enhance R6 for next gen, so hopefully they do the same for TD2.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So in a way this is basically Division 2's version of Survival mode.
The devs have always pointed out to think of it as its own thing, but if you're comparing to Div 1, it sounds closer to a mix of Underground (randomized encounters) and Resistance (waves of enemies that get harder, with better loot as you progress). Survival made you start the mode with no gear, where here you are entering it with your current build. It also had new mechanics around thirst, warmth, food and syringes to stave off infection. And you had to extract your gear. And there were no checkpoints.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The devs have always pointed out to think of it as its own thing, but if you're comparing to Div 1, it sounds closer to a mix of Underground (randomized encounters) and Resistance (waves of enemies that get harder, with better loot as you progress). Survival made you start the mode with no gear, where here you are entering it with your current build. It also had new mechanics around thirst, warmth, food and syringes to stave off infection. And you had to extract your gear. And there were no checkpoints.
Oh yea Underground, totally forgot about that mode.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lots of good stuff in this update. I put in a question to Bruce on Twitter asking if Summit has a progression reset but I haven't heard back yet. I'll update if I do.

Now we just need them to create Survival 2.0 and I'll truly be happy.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So how was Warlords? I enjoyed playing through the base game enough but I think it lost me in the endgame. Think it's on sale right now...

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Donwloading game again and probably gonna buy Warlords expansion, is it good for solo players?
So how was Warlords? I enjoyed playing through the base game enough but I think it lost me in the endgame. Think it's on sale right now...

WONY is pretty good. Basically 1/3rd the size of the DC map but still plenty to explore. Missions are good with a pretty fun finale mission that sets up some interesting narrative implications.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for cross save to pick up Division 2. Wanna use my PS4 save on PC.
Looks like a cool mode and I teresting changes though. Not sure it would ever compete with destiny 2 for me though. The gear in division 2 mostly just feels like "another one" while destiny 2 I'd say all the exotics, if not most of the guns in general all feel unique.

Lenz

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is exactly the kind of content I wanted from this game. I'm totally back in when this releases.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Time to reinstall I guess. I was loving Warlords when it came out but I got suuuper distracted by Warzone lol. Time to dive back in!

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
What I'd say about WONY:
- it's a pretty big expansion (1/3 size of the map) and it's really nice to be back in New York, which is insanely detailed and more vertical than DC
- the story content takes about 8-12 hours depending how quick you run through it, and there are collectibles, side missions, open world bosses, etc. as well.
- the levels are great on first few playthroughs (fun layouts, varied areas, some fun boss fights), but they are longer than many missions, so they aren't as fan as areas to farm repeatedly
- there are a few exotics tied to the content
- there are another dozen or so Hunters to track down with masks. Honestly, I got sick of how convoluted the steps were and never finished these, but I should at some point...
- It also adds another map's worth of Targeted Loot, so if you are farming gear, it's nice to have more options
- by the end of it you'll be at level 40, which is perfect for endgame
- the enemies, I'd say, are actually tougher than DC
- the major downsides are: outside of the Seasonal content and targeted loot, there's not much reason to go back to New York right now. There was talk of them adding a bigger Dark Zone there

All in all, though, it's fun. You can read the community thread in the original post for the exact breakdown of the WONY expansion, though!

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Warlords of New York's story is weird because on its own it's a decent enough story.

Except it's like, placed at the absolute wrong place in the game's timeline.

Like I feel like it would make more sense for a Div 2 where the story progression went mmore like level 1 to 30 story -> WoNY -> base endgame, because otherwise there's a lot of talking about how you should really consider what kind of people would actually want to utilize the division after you've already been effectively burned, having already found out the current president of the united states ISAC recognizes is in on it with the people that were just using you and the rest of the organization for their own means.

It just felt super weird that the game was trying to make that kind of point about the division when it already did the part where you found out the antagonists you fought earlier weren't lying about not being able to trust the people in charge.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Time to get this game re-downloaded. I loved it, but stopped after I finished the campaign. This looks like a nice Horde mode.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Warlords and never actually played it, since I never did the WT stuff prior to Warlords launch and wanted to do that before going to Warlords, because it locks you out of a bunch of trophies and such if you use the level boost to skip to Warlords. Then in the process of doing that I hit a mission I just couldn't manage and got frustrated and uninstalled the game.

...as much as I'd hate to redownload 100GB *again*, this might bring me back. It's basically what I've always wanted from the game. The grind to WT5 is pretty brutal though, and I'm still only on WT2.