• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should they add matchmaking for the Raid?

• Yes.

Votes: 176 72.7%
  • No.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • At a later date.

Votes: 36 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, that's kind of a hard sell to me. Really implies you'll be able to matchmake with anything in game and the raid was well established at that time as something coming shortly after launch.
I think it's eas yto see either way. If that is the only time they said it, I don't see it as a lie. If they said it elsewhere specifically about the raid, or about incoming content, then sure.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who wishes raids to have matchmaking I want you to go matchmake into a crew in Sea of Thieves Arena.

It's much more simplistic in mechanics but you do need to work as a team to sail the boat. I want you to report back if you had fun or not.

Seeing as it's Sea of Thieves I imagine the answer would be a no.

Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% not impossible for you. It will take a little bit of extra effort, but it will be perfectly doable once the raid drops and discord and era people are looking for group members.

Please do not be put entirely off, you will still be able to find a group.

I guess I'll will but it's more or less a problem with time-zones, most people from ERA are in the US so the raids will probably be done later in the evening and I live in Sweden so I'd probably have to be up in the middle of the night to play.

But you're right, I shouldn't be so negative haha, I was just envisioning it being matchmaking, it needed to be matchmaking for me to be able two play with my two friends, we can only play with other when the kids are sleeping and so on, so it'll suck even more for them haha. But it'll be fine, even if I can't play the raid there is so much other stuff to do either way :).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll will but it's more or less a problem with time-zones, most people from ERA are in the US so the raids will probably be done later in the evening and I live in Sweden so I'd probably have to be up in the middle of the night to play.

But you're right, I shouldn't be so negative haha, I was just envisioning it being matchmaking, it needed to be matchmaking for me to be able two play with my two friends, we can only play with other when the kids are sleeping and so on, so it'll suck even more for them haha. But it'll be fine, even if I can't play the raid there is so much other stuff to do either way :).

I honestly think you'll be fine. You might need to organize something in advance even, but you will be able to do it. I've had loads of experience with Era communities organizing raid groups, it's not anywhere near as hard as many think it will be!

Give it a shot!

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think you'll be fine. You might need to organize something in advance even, but you will be able to do it. I've had loads of experience with Era communities organizing raid groups, it's not anywhere near as hard as many think it will be!

Give it a shot!

I will, I don't really want to miss out on the raid so I guess I'll give it a more effort haha.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Trying to co-ordinate a team of randoms for an activity that no doubt requires mic comms would be a special kind of hell.

That's before you add in the fact that matchmaking is often selected by players on a whim without truly considering the time/effort/coordination required.

I feel many people don't know what they're asking for.
Its simple really.
We are asking for the option to matchmake.
I dont have 8 people on my clan who is online at any time during my day so getting 8 people to play with me on a raid is nigh on impossible.
I'm sure there are many others online who do not have much friends to play with online in this game that would love to try raids with others.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Its simple really.
We are asking for the option to matchmake.
I dont have 8 people on my clan who is online at any time during my day so getting 8 people to play with me on a raid is nigh on impossible.
I'm sure there are many others online who do not have much friends to play with online in this game that would love to try raids with others.

So they should have a party up menu where you can build and browse groups, but not straight up "click and play" matchmaking.

FF14 had a system like this when I played it and it was great, avoided almost all the pitfalls that MM brings.

Also you are on Era, there is the OT and the discord, you definitely can build a group.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You people who think raid matchmaking can be a pleasant experience are living in a dream world.

"But I should at least have the option of having an awful time"

No. Take the added 5 minutes to use LFG. It will save you more time and effort than rolling the dice with matchmaking.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well I can see why because they want people to be able to chat, etc. Oh wait, the game offers voice chat built in along with text chat via group, etc.

But yet they won't allow us to simply find other randoms to quickly group up? Dumb.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
So they should have a party up menu where you can build and browse groups, but not straight up "click and play" matchmaking.

FF14 had a system like this when I played it and it was great, avoided almost all the pitfalls that MM brings.

Also you are on Era, there is the OT and the discord, you definitely can build a group.

FF14 also let you use matchmaking for everything. From 4 players bosses to 24 players raids.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I can see why because they want people to be able to chat, etc. Oh wait, the game offers voice chat built in along with text chat via group, etc.

But yet they won't allow us to simply find other randoms to quickly group up? Dumb.
lmao at finding people that communicate in matchmaking.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
You people who think raid matchmaking can be a pleasant experience are living in a dream world.

"But I should at least have the option of having an awful time"

No. Take the added 5 minutes to use LFG. It will save you more time and effort than rolling the dice with matchmaking.

How is this different than matchmaking? Playing with random people on the forum, instead of playing with random people in the game?

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Yep your right.

Here's the source for that:

Ah f**k this, man. I think I'm out. So we're supposed to go up to random people in the safe house and be like "hey, wanna do the raid?". This game just went downhill so fast for me it's unreal. This is why I just end of going back to Warframe for my looter-shooter itch.

I don't understand why raids never have matchmaking. It makes it such a pain in the ass.

Raids do have matchmaking but just not in the game apparently.

Also inb4 Destiny people chiming in that we don't really want matchmaking for the raid.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
How is this different than matchmaking? Playing with random people on the forum, instead of playing with random people in the game?
Exactly. I was right in the middle of typing out something similar but your post pretty much sums it up. Apparently matchmaking is just completely pointless yet spending 5 mins via LFG is the perfect solution. I don't understand.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It adds a buffer that really, really helps.

People get to click on the MM button on a whim and jump in regardless of the commitment required, but having to do a little bit of legwork and seek out a group and meet up with them pre-game and briefly discuss things etc... potentially removes a lot of issues like players with no mic, trolls, people who don't understand the time commitment, etc...

And while you will still find issues, it is a lot less than "click and play" mm.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because you can screen people via LFG. "Hey do you have a mic" "yeah" "sounds good"

In matchmaking my experience has 99% of the time been "Hey you guys got a mic?" "........" "fuck"

I will say, we don't know the complexity of the raid yet. If its a glorified mission they should turn matchmaking on. If its more akin to a Destiny raid it should ALWAYS be off.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many of you complaining about no matchmaking are on Xbox? LFG there works like a charm.

Also you don't want raid matchmaking.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
LOL @ anyone who seriously wants raid matchmaking in any non-traditional, MMO-like game. Sure, have fun playing with brain dead randoms who will likely rage quit after 10 minutes. You're guaranteed to have a miserable experience and not likely come close to finishing.

What games like Destiny and Division need are proper LFG tools in game. Destiny has them, they just exist in the form of apps and websites, outside of the game. Being able to manually choose teammates on whatever criteria you want is far better than standard matchmaking.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I guess I'll say having raid matchmaking doesn't matter to me since I will always use LFG.

Similar to how Sea of Thieves has matchmaking but I never use it. I've only used it to get a quick glimpse at Arena. No one on my team was talking. Everyone was doing their own thing. Someone tried using the quick chat to bark commands but it wasn't working. I quit 5 minutes in. That's generally what you can expect with raid matchmaking.

I think, from a dev point of view, they'd rather you put more effort into having a good time rather than being frustrated 99% of the time. And with 8 people jesus. What are the chances all 8 are communicative and will see the mission through. Let alone are competent.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they shouldn't have said they have matchmaking for everything if they didn't.
Nothing in The Division 2 has convinced me that communication for this raid will even be 100% necessary like it often is for Destiny.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks man that would help alot. I'm always looking for people to play with and with mice lol.
Not too sure what discord is though.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It adds a buffer that really, really helps.

People get to click on the MM button on a whim and jump in regardless of the commitment required, but having to do a little bit of legwork and seek out a group and meet up with them pre-game and briefly discuss things etc... potentially removes a lot of issues like players with no mic, trolls, people who don't understand the time commitment, etc...

And while you will still find issues, it is a lot less than "click and play" mm.

Yes, but I want that. I want to just click on a button and just jump in and check out the raid. I don't want to deal with all this stuff you just described. If you don't want that and you don't want to deal with people like me (fair enough) then don't click the button! It's not that hard :). You can use your LFG or whatever to triple vet your party members and make sure everyone is cool. I totally respect that's your approach so people shouldn't condescend to others about how they should do things.

'Cause sure as hell in few weeks when most people have done it one of those vetting criteria will be 'must have cleared already' and then I guess any new people are out of luck without matchmaking.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I want that. I want to just click on a button and just jump in and check out the raid. I don't want to deal with all this stuff you just described. If you don't want that and you don't want to deal with people like me (fair enough) then don't click the button! It's not that hard :). You can use your LFG or whatever to triple vet your party members and make sure everyone is cool. I totally respect that's your approach so people shouldn't condescend to others about how they should do things.

'Cause sure as hell in few weeks when most people have done it one of those vetting criteria will be 'must have cleared already' and then I guess any new people are out of luck without matchmaking.

Nothing stopping you from making an LFG for new players and a Sherpa.

Oct 27, 2017
I would've understood no matchmaking if it was only a 4 player affair, but getting 8 people together for this on your own is an annoyingly high barrier that most people won't bother with I guess.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks man that would help alot. I'm always looking for people to play with and with mice lol.
Not too sure what discord is though.
Check The Division 2 OT in the gaming community forum. Discord is a chat client. It's all linked in the OT!

And matchmaking for more complex activities brings a LOT of negative aspects that would very likely ruin your experience, when all it takes is a little bit of extra effort chatting with Era people in the OT or on Discord to avoid.

There are reasons why adding MM would create negative impact, too, as reasoned above.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I mean they shouldn't have said they have matchmaking for everything if they didn't.
Nothing in The Division 2 has convinced me that communication for this raid will even be 100% necessary like it often is for Destiny.

Maybe it will though...? I havent watched the Raid trailer because I want to see it for the first time when I try it...but how the game plays,its likely like you say...but what if you need like 2 Survivalist with heals that take care of 2 specific Demolitionist tanks that play together and stuff like that...we shall see.

Last edited:

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully my clan is still playing after Ramadan is over so I can actually try a raid for once

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
As much as LFG tools should be in game, if you can't be assed to use a LFG site for 5 minutes, sorry, but I can't trust you to be in my fireteam/ party and not be a detriment and waste everyone else's time. If that you're not willing to commit a modicum of effort and time towards a challenging, end game activity, then maybe said activity isn't for you.

It isn't meant to be a casual romp, where you can be on your phone or watch Netflix simultaneously. It demands a considerable amount of time, concentration and coordination with your team.Your average player simply isn't willing to exert that sort of effort and commitment. They'll leave just as fast as they came in and you'll never finish in a reasonable amount of time, if at all.

With LFG, you can weed out the riff raff and invite players who want put forth a serious effort towards completing the activity.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
As much as LFG tools should be in game, if you can't be assed to use a LFG site for 5 minutes, sorry, but I can't trust you to be in my fireteam/ party and not be a detriment and waste everyone else's time. If that you're not willing to commit a modicum of effort and time towards a challenging, end game activity, then maybe said activity isn't for you.

It isn't meant to be a casual romp, where you can be on your phone or watch Netflix simultaneously. It demands a considerable amount of time, concentration and coordination with your team.Your average player simply isn't willing to exert that sort of effort and commitment. They'll leave just as fast as they came in and you'll never finish in a reasonable amount of time, if at all.

With LFG, you can weed out the riff raff and invite players who want put forth a serious effort towards completing the activity.
Have you played the raid? It seems like you're speaking from experience but based on saying fireteam, I assume you're just speaking to Destiny and assuming it'll be the same thing here?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I just want my fucking face back, all that tripe about nerfs and shit, And I still look like Joseph Parker default when I created someone completely opposite.

Sort the barber bug out

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Have you played the raid? It seems like you're speaking from experience but based on saying fireteam, I assume you're just speaking to Destiny and assuming it'll be the same thing here?

I imagine it will be very similar to Destiny's raids, if not, even simpler.

If this raid is just a series of big ass bullet sponge bosses, with simple "take down their shield" mechanics, then maybe matchmaking could work.

But if they're similar to Destiny, when it comes to mechanics and the margin of error most encounters allow, you'll definitely wantLFG and not matchmaking

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it will be very similar to Destiny's raids, if not, even simpler.

If this raid is just a series of big ass bullet sponge bosses, with simple "take down their shield" mechanics, then maybe matchmaking could work.

But if they're similar to Destiny, when it comes to mechanics and the margin of error most encounters allow, you'll definitely wantLFG and not matchmaking

Destiny is pretty puzzle heavy which hasn't been the case with most of the TD2 content so far. That said, LFG is probably best early on.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who really enjoyed the first game playing solo through the story but thought the dark zone post game was rubbish, how is 2?

Been thinking about picking it up since I have finished days gone and only have fortnite season 9 to tide me over at the moment.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Whether you think it should or shouldn't have matchmaking is kinda irrelevant tbh. They sold this game saying all activities would have matchmaking, the graphic posted earlier says as much. There are previous topics everywhere around the net around the time the game was coming out with people who felt confident it had matchmaking, including conversations on this very forum. It had an impact on some folks decision to buy the game in the first place. If it's not in it's pretty much false advertising.

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
Based on my limited D2 LFG experience this comment from reddit could be really close to reality come the 16th :D

LFG:" operation dark hours ", 10+ clears , must have day 1 clear patch , be in the frame in the whitehouse , english only , #knowwhatyourdoin , 2 deaths and you get the boot , adults only , no babies in the background, #stonerfriendly* ........

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Whether you think it should or shouldn't have matchmaking is kinda irrelevant tbh. They sold this game saying all activities would have matchmaking, the graphic posted earlier says as much. There are previous topics everywhere around net around the time the game was coming out with people who felt confident it had matchmaking, including conversations on this very forum. It had an impact on some folks decision to buy the game in the first place. If it's not in it's pretty much false advertising.

They already delayed the raid. Maybe during testing they weren't happy with the results they were seeing from matchmaking.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Whether you think it should or shouldn't have matchmaking is kinda irrelevant tbh. They sold this game saying all activities would have matchmaking, the graphic posted earlier says as much. There are previous topics everywhere around net around the time the game was coming out with people who felt confident it had matchmaking, including conversations on this very forum. It had an impact on some folks decision to buy the game in the first place. If it's not in it's pretty much false advertising.

Agreed.

If they had said up front that there would be no matchmaking for the raid, I wouldn't have bought the game.