• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they add matchmaking for the Raid?

• Yes.

Votes: 176 72.7%
  • No.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • At a later date.

Votes: 36 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I want that. I want to just click on a button and just jump in and check out the raid. I don't want to deal with all this stuff you just described. If you don't want that and you don't want to deal with people like me (fair enough) then don't click the button! It's not that hard :). You can use your LFG or whatever to triple vet your party members and make sure everyone is cool. I totally respect that's your approach so people shouldn't condescend to others about how they should do things.

'Cause sure as hell in few weeks when most people have done it one of those vetting criteria will be 'must have cleared already' and then I guess any new people are out of luck without matchmaking.

Strict LFG posts are an issue in these games.

But its still easier than matchmaking.

Doing matchmaking to "check out the raid" will allow you to "check out" the first encounter and thats p much it. If you want to check it out and then dip, thats not fair to everyone else in the group. And if you wanna do that think about how many others want to do that as well.

If you want ANY hope in actually finishing the raid, you need to LFG.

If it's anything close to a destiny raid its not even a question. Randoms will never beat it unless you win the matchmaking lottery.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So does no matchmaking mean it'll be like Destiny where you need to solve 5 puzzles and answer 6 riddles before, after and during every fight? If not, no reason why this shouldn't have a matchmaking button. Lock out the higher difficulty, but why not make 1 easy tutorial like setting so I dont have to watch a video on the internet how to play a game I bought :/

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Because you can screen people via LFG. "Hey do you have a mic" "yeah" "sounds good"

In matchmaking my experience has 99% of the time been "Hey you guys got a mic?" "........" "fuck"

I will say, we don't know the complexity of the raid yet. If its a glorified mission they should turn matchmaking on. If its more akin to a Destiny raid it should ALWAYS be off.

You can screen people with MM filters, I did it all the time in Earth Defense Force, and that had the simplest match making you can think of

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
So does no matchmaking mean it'll be like Destiny where you need to solve 5 puzzles and answer 6 riddles before, after and during every fight? If not, no reason why this shouldn't have a matchmaking button. Lock out the higher difficulty, but why not make 1 easy tutorial like setting so I dont have to watch a video on the internet how to play a game I bought :/

I doubt the raid will have any more complexity to it than the last stronghold's boss fight.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can screen people with MM filters, I did it all the time in Earth Defense Force, and that had the simplest match making you can think of
Hey I think everyone here would agree that these types of games need built in LFG features. But if the option is standard MM or no MM for a raid activity, always go for no MM

Oct 27, 2017
You're on ERA...

I mean...All of y'all saying "I have no one to play with/ I'm not in a clan"... You're literally posting on a message board with a dedicated community for this game. Why not group up and play together? Problem solved.

Is it so hard to understand that many people are uncomfortable with engaging random people, online or in reality, however brief that interaction may be and that they just want to play the game they paid for?

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Trying to co-ordinate a team of randoms for an activity that no doubt requires mic comms would be a special kind of hell.

That's before you add in the fact that matchmaking is often selected by players on a whim without truly considering the time/effort/coordination required.

I feel many people don't know what they're asking for.
Such a tired excuse. The biggest mmo in the world, world of warcraft, has had it for years. Theres ways to work around it. Either just let people do it and suffer through it, or in terms of wow, make a slightly easier version of the raid with less mechanics with shittier gear. Why people are ok with less options in terms of this is baffling. And it just turns a large amount of your player base off and basically just gates content

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Such a tired excuse. The biggest mmo in the world, world of warcraft, has had it for years. Theres ways to work around it. Either just let people do it and suffer through it, or in terms of wow, make a slightly easier version of the raid with less mechanics with shittier gear. Why people are ok with less options in terms of this is baffling. And it just turns a large amount of your player base off and basically just gates content
It's not a tired excuse, it's a reality.

Letting people suffer through it creates issues of their own (see above), and there are better solutions they could use like a proper party up system with decent support.

I'm all for adding matchmaking if there is an easier variant, perhaps unlocking higher level matchmaking upon completion. Or adding MM later couple of months after launch, but right away as an "on a whim" click and play button WITHOUT creating easier modes and specific support for it? It WILL create issues.

Just because some other games use it doesn't mean it would work here, and I've had more awful experiences in MMO MM with randoms than positive (anecdotal, of course).

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
It's not a tired excuse, it's a reality.

Letting people suffer through it creates issues of their own (see above), and there are better solutions they could use like a proper party up system with decent support.

I'm all for adding matchmaking if there is an easier variant, perhaps unlocking higher level matchmaking upon completion. Or adding MM later couple of months after launch, but right away as an "on a whim" click and play button WITHOUT creating easier modes and specific support for it? It WILL create issues.

Just because some other games use it doesn't mean it would work here, and I've had more awful experiences in MMO MM with randoms than positive (anecdotal, of course).
So put in the time to support it as a company. Or alienate parts of your audience that then drift away from the game. At this point in terms of games as a service, they shouldve figured it out by now. Or dont tell people that matchmaking is gonna be present for all activities and modes. The fact that you need to use outside sources to group up is ridiculous. Add it for the people that want it and the people who complain about it can you know, just not use it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So put in the time to support it as a company. Or alienate parts of your audience that then drift away from the game. At this point in terms of games as a service, they shouldve figured it out by now. Or dont tell people that matchmaking is gonna be present for all activities and modes. The fact that you need to use outside sources to group up is ridiculous. Add it for the people that want it and the people who complain about it can you know, just not use it

I'm with you in that these activities need a robust, in-game support structure. I just do not believe it's straight up "click and play" matchmaking as we know it.

It should be a little more involved than that, have the player create or browse groups they can filter so they find the right group, meet up with those people before the raid begins to briefly chat and set rolls etc... basically what LFG sites are now but in game and well supported.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You're on ERA...

I mean...All of y'all saying "I have no one to play with/ I'm not in a clan"... You're literally posting on a message board with a dedicated community for this game. Why not group up and play together? Problem solved.
Can't speak English and groups/players from my region are toxic as fuck.

Which is why I liked the matchmaking option before entering a mission, getting with a group of silent players, finish the thing and then leaving the group to keep playing on my own.

Didn't meant this as a retort or countering your argument but rather a way to express how I have been playing the game since launch and enjoyed every second of it, so not having matchmaking is a turn down for me. But I do agree on the LFG part of your post, raids are meant for fully committed players on Destiny 2 and I was hoping Division 2 raids were more casual friendly for people like me.

If not, I'll just ignore it like the Dark Zone thus far. :P

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

Agreed the people who will be "turned away" from blind matchmaking are the same people who are not got to spend time LFGing anyway

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There should definitely be some matchmaking tools to smooth out the process, but believe me folks, you do NOT want random matchmaking for stuff like this.

Yeah you can do it in MMOs like FFXIV and WoW, but there's a reason why people who do high-end raids avoid it like the plague.

It's often a miserable experience.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
No matchmaking for the raid sucks. Guess I won't be jumping back in. It's usually just me and another friend who still play so trying to find two other people every time just seems like too much of a hassle.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I have 0 friends who play games. It just annoys me so much that games do this. LFG is a worse experience than randoms in a raid, actually, that's what it is. Devs are just pushing the negative experience on to someone else.

Even if I was in a clan, wrangling all those people together at one time is nearly impossible. It was hard enough in Destiny back in the day.

You want to have a custom experience with your buddies, go ahead, no reason they can't spend the time to develop a matchmaking system for this.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I think folks just want them to have the feature they advertised. I don't see why people are defending this?
If they're going to have matchmaking later that's fine as well, but they should come out and say it. And they should have been clear up front.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
I think a raid in game like this should always have base difficulty that allows match making for those who just want experience the raid.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Is it so hard to understand that many people are uncomfortable with engaging random people, online or in reality, however brief that interaction may be and that they just want to play the game they paid for?

Then you're playing the wrong game and sure as hell trying to engage in the wrong activity. A raid is a COOPERATIVE and TEAM based experience that typically demands real time communication in order to solve puzzles and execute mechanics in some kind of complex boss encounter. It's incredibly difficult and sometimes impossible to do that without a mic.

So if you have some kind of social hang up or anxiety, you're going to have a terrible time. To think you'd have an enjoyable experience with totally random players via matchmaking is woefully naive and ignorant. Hell, people here constantly complain how they loathe online multiplayer and how gamers online are toxic, hostile and just unpleasant to deal with.

Raids are intentionally designed to be challenging and time consuming. That "toxic" player that your average ERA member laments, isn't going to suddenly develope compassion or any semblance of patience. They'll be just as hostile, if not worse, than they would be in a PvP environment. And yet, people ITT are clamoring for that for some odd ball reason.

This is why LFG is superior. You literally get to pick and choose who you want, on whatever criteria and conditions you desire. Sure, it takes a little longer, but raids are time consuming encounters anyway, so an extra 5 minutes won't kill and will definitely lend to a much better experience in the end.

Can't speak English and groups/players from my region are toxic as fuck.

Which is why I liked the matchmaking option before entering a mission, getting with a group of silent players, finish the thing and then leaving the group to keep playing on my own.

Didn't meant this as a retort or countering your argument but rather a way to express how I have been playing the game since launch and enjoyed every second of it, so not having matchmaking is a turn down for me. But I do agree on the LFG part of your post, raids are meant for fully committed players on Destiny 2 and I was hoping Division 2 raids were more casual friendly for people like me.

If not, I'll just ignore it like the Dark Zone thus far. :P

LFG tools need to be built-in to these types of games. The PS4 doesn't have it like the Xbox One. People use the Communities as a makeshift LFG board, but it's sloppy and cumbersome.

MM would not harm you in the slightest

You're right. I will continue to play with my clanmates and friends. I'm telling you, be very careful what you wish for. Trust me, you will have a miserable experience. Again, people here complain about how horrible it is to play with randoms online. Yet, here, you think it would be any different? It won't.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The gear still looks like shit. That's my main takeaway. Also if they wanted to do MM for raids then they should have done an easy version like WoW LFR and for the normal or "hard" version don't allow MM but offer better gear drops. Done deal, everyone's happy.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm more bothered by the possibility that you'll need voice comms to do the raid. I don't mind teaming up with Era clanmates or just whoever's in the Discord LFG, but voice comms are both kind of a pain in the ass and a potential source of toxicity I'd rather avoid.

I guess we'll see. It's fine if the raid ends up not being for me, but if it's not then my vacation away from the game will be greatly extended.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
That's a huge change log. Kudos to Massive for the proper post-launch support
Time to get back to Anthem.
tenor.gif

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I gotta jump back in and grind some more before I can even think about the raid. Looking forward to impressions on it.

Regarding matchmaking, part of me is really hoping they cave and activate matchmaking for the raid just to see who's right about whether it would be a shit show or not.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I never did the raids in D1 or D2, so the same will probably happen here. I'm ready to grind the apparel event and doing the new assignments.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Why are they nerfing so much stuff in such a PVE focused game? I'd much rather they buff the weaker talents and skills.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HAHAHA!

All the pontification and navel-gazing at the idea of the folly of random MM raid,

its brought you all back here

to me

Seriously, you thought an 8-person raid would go well through random matchmaking?

really?

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Wait no matchmaking for raids?
Thats me stuffed on pc then.

Might stand a chance on ps with the era clan. Missed half the Destiny 2 raids because of this.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Jebus what's wrong with people who are supporting no MM. Peeps just wants to play the game they paid for without going through a bunch of loops. Not everyone is a loner who sits in front of a computer with a bunch of online communities within their reach or even know wtf LFG is.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jebus what's wrong with people who are supporting no MM. Peeps just wants to play the game they paid for without going through a bunch of loops. Not everyone is a loner who sits in front of a computer with a bunch of online communities within their reach or even know wtf LFG is.
Surely, if they are indeed 'loners' they'd be on your side.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
making it 8 player from the games usual 4 player activities and not including MM is... well....
so dumb. I expect ubisoft to change their stance on this though.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Strict LFG posts are an issue in these games.

But its still easier than matchmaking.

Doing matchmaking to "check out the raid" will allow you to "check out" the first encounter and thats p much it. If you want to check it out and then dip, thats not fair to everyone else in the group. And if you wanna do that think about how many others want to do that as well.

If you want ANY hope in actually finishing the raid, you need to LFG.

If it's anything close to a destiny raid its not even a question. Randoms will never beat it unless you win the matchmaking lottery.

So what, those who want to use a specialized team can do LFG all they want and those who want to matchmake can matchmake. And I managed to do Heroic Incursions in Division 1 with randoms. Plus with matchmake you can add players that you happen to like, extending the network of players that can play with you during your available time, all without ever needing to leave your game.

I can't understand why people would be okay with less options, especially in the marketing material for this game they're pretty explicit saying that you can matchmake ALL activities in ALL difficulties.

Truly dont understand why anyone is defending no matchmaking.

Not giving us the option is ridiculous.

This, the heck.

One of the major reasons why I steered away from Destiny 2 is exactly because of the same issue. It's really annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Then you're playing the wrong game and sure as hell trying to engage in the wrong activity. A raid is a COOPERATIVE and TEAM based experience that typically demands real time communication in order to solve puzzles and execute mechanics in some kind of complex boss encounter. It's incredibly difficult and sometimes impossible to do that without a mic.

So if you have some kind of social hang up or anxiety, you're going to have a terrible time. To think you'd have an enjoyable experience with totally random players via matchmaking is woefully naive and ignorant. Hell, people here constantly complain how they loathe online multiplayer and how gamers online are toxic, hostile and just unpleasant to deal with.

You're basing your assessment solely on Destiny, which has a very specific way of doing raids. You can design cooperative content like this without including obtuse puzzles that need players to use their mics.