• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they add matchmaking for the Raid?

• Yes.

Votes: 176 72.7%
  • No.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • At a later date.

Votes: 36 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm not being patronizing nor condescending, I'm offering my advice to back up my opinions.

If you're taking what I wrote here personally that is definitely not on my posts, I just re-read them and they're not doing what you suggest. At all.

Also, you are on Era, a place with a pretty strong TD2 community. It might not be ideal, but you absolutely can find a raid group in the OT and discord if you want to.

Huh I didnt even write that. Not sure how what you quoted was attributed to me lol

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Read my posts on the previous page.

Destiny and Division are shooters at their core, not your top down, click-to-move, loot games. Players have a totally different field of view and means of interacting with their environment.

Destiny, for example, is a first person shooter. However, players can grab and throw objects, operate vehicles and navigate various kinds of platforms, among other things. In WoW, you can see everything that is around your character at all times. Destiny, you can't, without turning around. That alone makes both games incredibly different from one another.

Destiny features all sorts of lengthy jumping sequences and puzzles, some that are incredibly difficult and require precise navigation. Destiny being a shooter, you actually have to aim, and land your shots. Now add free movement, verticality, cover, strafing, reloading, ammo management, special abilities and enemies that pretty much make use of all those things too.

There's a greater emphasis on having situational and spatial awareness in Destiny, because of the limited field of view, and due to the fundamentals on how first person shooters operate and challenge players. You don't have any of that in a game like WoW.

My point is, do you really wanna be stuck in a raid with someone who can't aim or shoot properly? If they can't grasp the game's most basic mechanics, there's no way they'll understand or execute the mechanics in an end game activity. So unless the raids are dumbed down, with virtually no mechanics or puzzles, matchmaking with randoms would be a horrible experience.

Nah. People payed 100+ for this game under the assumption all activities would have matchmaking and they don't. It's that simple.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing about performance sadly, I'm can't play play a session without my game freezing and catching up every 5 minutes.
Yeah I've been having performance issues as well on PC. I haven't played the game a while because of that tbh.

I'm gonna try to jump in tonight though.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it earlier but I just got back into the game as well and noticed hitches or freezes quite frequently. I initially thought it was nvidia being nvidia and screwing up but noticed I'd left direct x 12 on. Turned that off and everything has been smooth sailing since.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand.

It's not ideal, but the more people we have looking to raid in the OT and discord the more groups there will be.

And they will be 100x better runs than runs with randoms.

D6lqxnbUcAAqpHe.png

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
No matchmaking for the raid blows.

Was hoping to have an 8 player frenzy I could log on to with ease from time to time. Doubt I'll play it more than once now, just like Destiny.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I don't understand.

It's not ideal, but the more people we have looking to raid in the OT and discord the more groups there will be.

Because it an unnecessary extra step.

Why is MM with filters so hard? Its in all kind of online games, and Im not talking MMOs. I use Earth Defense Forces as an example earlier

Add a password to join group
Add a filter that you have to be at a certain level
Add a Filter that you have to have a certain specialty
Add a filter that you have had to complete the raid a certain amount of times, or put so much time in it
Add a filter that an mic must be active
etc

And if you dont want to play with randoms, dont click the matchmaking button.

Have to search offline solution to find a group is just of a "bad experience" that having a bad random on the team, either way its going to drive some people away, now even those how would have stuck around are out because who want to rally up 8 people offline, when you are ready to play "Now" with other who are ready to play "now" in game

I get the "oh blind matchmaking is bad" but do you really think this is going to bolster the numbers of offsite LFG-ers? Now the only raiders are going to be those who use offsite LFG anyways

I will probably LFG 1 or 2 times to enjoy the content, but Im not LFGing every time I want to raid, thats nonsense and they are pushing me away before a bad random even has a chance to

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll find I mentioned it's not ideal, but that it is a solution available. Our community is friendly, helpful, and the more people join the more raid groups there will be.

And I'm almost 100% certain Era raid runs will be much smoother than running with randoms.

Because it an unnecessarily extra step.

Why is MM with filters so hard? Its in all kind of only games, and Im not talking MMO. I use Earth Defense Forces as an example.

Add a password to join group
Add a filter that you have to be at a certain level
Add a Filter that you have to have a certain specialty
Add a filter that you have had to complete the raid a certain amount of times, or put so much time in it
Add a filter that an mic must be active

And if you dont want to play with randoms, dont click the matchmaking button.

Have to search offline solution to find a group is just of a "bad experience" that having a bad random on the team, either way its going to drive some people away, now even those how would have stuck around are out because who want to rally up 8 people offline, when you are ready to play "Now" with other who are ready to play "now" in game

I get the "oh blind matchmaking is bad" but do you really think this is going to bolster the numbers of offsite LFG-ers? Now the only raiders are going to be those who use offsite LFG anyways
I've literally said this, yes.

BUT

You can join the raid via the community which is a really, really good resource. And while it's not ideal, as I have said multiple times.... it is a way for you to raid, and the more people join the better/easier it will be.

OP
OP
Remark

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it earlier but I just got back into the game as well and noticed hitches or freezes quite frequently. I initially thought it was nvidia being nvidia and screwing up but noticed I'd left direct x 12 on. Turned that off and everything has been smooth sailing since.
I went back to the game yesterday and everything is running fine now, was able to play for like 4 hours no crashes. idk this game has to be the most fickle to me whether it wants to work or not.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll find I mentioned it's not ideal, but that it is a solution available. Our community is friendly, helpful, and the more people join the more raid groups there will be.

And I'm almost 100% certain Era raid runs will be much smoother than running with randoms.
That's not the point. Some of us don't get to play video games whenever we want. Some of us actually liked this game because the matchmaking worked, and worked well, for all the activities in the game instead of putting me behind a walled garden.

In my own case, I never once got to do a raid in Destiny due to the lack of matchmaking, even with the LFG apps. I can't give a specific time when I can play, it might be 10 pm on a weeknight or 8 am on Saturday morning. My builds are never great because I don't ever get to play and I absolutely don't meet the list of requirements most people put on LFG's. I'm nearly 40 years old, I just want to play for the 10 minutes or 2 hours whenever I get the change and enjoy myself. Not get completely left behind because I don't have a stable of friends to play with or people in a similar situation in order to get a group together.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point. Some of us don't get to play video games whenever we want. Some of us actually liked this game because the matchmaking worked, and worked well, for all the activities in the game instead of putting me behind a walled garden.

In my own case, I never once got to do a raid in Destiny due to the lack of matchmaking, even with the LFG apps. I can't give a specific time when I can play, it might be 10 pm on a weeknight or 8 am on Saturday morning. My builds are never great because I don't ever get to play and I absolutely don't meet the list of requirements most people put on LFG's. I'm nearly 40 years old, I just want to play for the 10 minutes or 2 hours whenever I get the change and enjoy myself. Not get completely left behind because I don't have a stable of friends to play with or people in a similar situation in order to get a group together.

There are plenty of people just like you with very similar issues making it hard for them to raid... in the OT and discord, who manage to find groups.

That's what the community is for, helping support players like you.

You can join if you want, the OT is here. Discord is in the OT.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Go to the OT, give the Discord ring leader your psn id.

It's not rocket surgery.

As PXG stated already, you're on an enthusiast website. Era is LFG for gaming shit.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand.

That doesn't go away with a MM option in game.

I wish I could refund it, seriously. Never buying anything Massive again.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The problem is, with matchmaking as seen in WoW is an absolute destroyer for raid community building. It makes you become a robot, simply doing the raid for the sake of the loot with no interaction of building the group and talking. There's less connections from a matchmaking side of things because it's shaping groups to "click button, do raid and go" rather then something organic through the community.

I totally understand your time commitments and the inability to play all the content, however you yourself admit you'd not fall in line for requirements from groups which can be a problem. Even in matchmaking if you don't have decent stats you are going to be delaying people's progression because of that inability to retain stat relevance. Again, I understand your situation and I'm in a similar situation as a teacher aide but I also find time in stat games to keep relevant if I want to do the content.

It's really all about balance for the devs. Can they create multiple versions of difficulty that allow all types of groups the chance to complete the content without it being too much. Remember a raid is different to the other content currently available so it's difficult to say matchmaking will make it possible to raid and be successful.

I'm on the fence mind you. I understand commitment issues and want to play all content and those wanting the community challenge. You yourself even stated you don't know how long your sessions go for. Would you just stop the content when you need to go leaving the other 7 matched players hanging out in the wind? Should situations like that be considered in matchmaking? The concepts and challenges rise so quickly see that sometimes good old fashioned group making actually works better.

That doesn't go away with a MM option in game.

I wish I could refund it, seriously. Never buying anything Massive again.
That's a bit of an overreaction no? No matchmaking at this moment doesn't nullify your game and make it unusable, so refunding is somewhat selfish in that sense. Wanting your money back after spending so long in the game simply because the raid has no matchmaking at this moment is just petite for the sake of being petite.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, with matchmaking as seen in WoW is an absolute destroyer for raid community building. It makes you become a robot, simply doing the raid for the sake of the loot with no interaction of building the group and talking. There's less connections from a matchmaking side of things because it's shaping groups to "click button, do raid and go" rather then something organic through the community.

I totally understand your time commitments and the inability to play all the content, however you yourself admit you'd not fall in line for requirements from groups which can be a problem. Even in matchmaking if you don't have decent stats you are going to be delaying people's progression because of that inability to retain stat relevance. Again, I understand your situation and I'm in a similar situation as a teacher aide but I also find time in stat games to keep relevant if I want to do the content.

It's really all about balance for the devs. Can they create multiple versions of difficulty that allow all types of groups the chance to complete the content without it being too much. Remember a raid is different to the other content currently available so it's difficult to say matchmaking will make it possible to raid and be successful.

I'm on the fence mind you. I understand commitment issues and want to play all content and those wanting the community challenge. You yourself even stated you don't know how long your sessions go for. Would you just stop the content when you need to go leaving the other 7 matched players hanging out in the wind? Should situations like that be considered in matchmaking? The concepts and challenges rise so quickly see that sometimes good old fashioned group making actually works better.

That's a bit of an overreaction no? No matchmaking at this moment doesn't nullify your game and make it unusable, so refunding is somewhat selfish in that sense. Wanting your money back after spending so long in the game simply because the raid has no matchmaking at this moment is just petite for the sake of being petite.

How do you know how much I played the game?

I bought it because of the promise of MM for every activity. Now they are backpedaling and I'm the one overreacting. Ok.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
destiny era discord was rarely helpful with matchmaking for me and my group (the magic of time zones) and I'm sure it'll be the same for division

this sucks

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
How is a LFG option in the game different than browsing reddit? Matchmaking doesn't have to be totally random. But these games don't do anything.

Trying to look for a group is a pain and it's random.

I think that LFG plus a simpler raid for people who don't want all the communication stuff would be ideal. Make the easier version simple and have more waypoints and "help" from the game. It's extra work but I don't think catering to a smaller audience is the way to go.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Even though I probably won't get to try the raid I got 50 hours of fun and I really liked the game so I'm glad that I bought it.

Have they mentioned incursions down the line?

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Most of the communication stuff could be addressed with in game prompts in a easier version.

Edit: at least in the Destiny stuff I did. And no, it would not be as fun. But it's better than nothing and it's an option for your players.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but no MM on the raid is inexcusable. The game oozes accessability except for this one thing?
Nope it's acceptable, Raids in these games should never have matchmaking. It's good the rest of the game has matchmaking but the raids are the one thing I am more than okay with not.

How do you know how much I played the game?

I bought it because of the promise of MM for every activity. Now they are backpedaling and I'm the one overreacting. Ok.
Yes you are overreacting.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
That's what the community is for, helping support players like you.
There's the problem, most people in my situation don't know communities like this exist. I don't know a single person my age who still plays video games, much less anyone who browses video game communities to find a group to play with. Even though I do, I'm not going to spend time LFG for the few precious times I get to actually play a game. I'll just go find something else to play until their is new SP content.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get why some people are so against the idea of an alternative for people who don't want to or have time to engage with matchmaking raids.

And then go "this isn't for you". Well, then make alternatives for those people. Don't design your "flagship" content for a select few with no alternative.

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I probably won't get to try the raid I got 50 hours of fun and I really liked the game so I'm glad that I bought it.

Have they mentioned incursions down the line?
No mention of Incursions as that idea was elevated/evolved into a "Raid" which I bet isn't any more mechanically driven than the Incursions we experienced in the first game...just more players meaning more switches to hit at the same time, etc and more firepower needed. I guess Legendary Missions de-evolved into "Invaded" missions or Strongholds (I guess) so they're out too basically. The next content drop and mode added will likely be Survival which will likely feature a Battle Royale-type version and maybe just a PvE version too if the first game is anything to go by but given the hints, etc Survival should be the first one.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's the problem, most people in my situation don't know communities like this exist. I don't know a single person my age who still plays video games, much less anyone who browses video game communities to find a group to play with. Even though I do, I'm not going to spend time LFG for the few precious times I get to actually play a game. I'll just go find something else to play until their is new SP content.
We're talking about people like yourself who are on Era though, not the people we can't help.

We know it's a problem some form of MM doesn't exist in-game, but we have a great TD2 community on Era willing to help and the more people join the more people who join the more raids will run.

You don't need to LFG during your game time, you do it while you're casually posting on Era. Loads of players just like you book a time slot in advance with other players.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
NO MATCHMAKING ON RAID?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I'M FUCKING DONE. FUCK ME FOR WAITING FOR THE FUCKING RAID. WHAT A FUCKING CHORE THIS GAME WAS.

Got more content out of Wildlands in the first 5 hours than I did in 50+ hours of this spongefest.

/MAD.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I saw a post in this thread that said "Wow no matchmaking for Div2 raid? I'm going to Anthem"

YIKES

I changed my tune regarding this issue. I now want them to put matchmaking into the raid. Just so I can see everyone who won't play without it eat crow at their first experiences. Oh it will be delicious.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I saw a post in this thread that said "Wow no matchmaking for Div2 raid? I'm going to Anthem"

YIKES

I changed my tune regarding this issue. I now want them to put matchmaking into the raid. Just so I can see everyone who won't play without it eat crow at their first experiences. Oh it will be delicious.
We should probably wait and see the mechanics of each encounter of the raid before being so sure about anything.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
destiny era discord was rarely helpful with matchmaking for me and my group (the magic of time zones) and I'm sure it'll be the same for division

this sucks

It really does and the fact that some players act like parrots repeating same stuff. I've dealt with setting up raids on D1 and it was always a mixed bag so having a MM option that is totally optional, I'd be ok with that.

Oct 27, 2017
One sad thing that has happened to gaming is the gross idea that many players seem to have and that is if you don't play with a regular fireteam/group/team whatever on a regular basis and/or are not part of a clan you somehow are or automatically are a lesser player and much less informed concerning a particular game...get over yourselves. This whole idea that all "random" players are bad, etc is just, well, stupid.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gatekeeper elitist attitude lmao

people like you make these games shit to play

Is it elitist to want 1 aspect of the game to be satisfyingly complex content? Something that requires coordination and communication? I don't mean just "It's a mission, but tougher enemies and more players" I mean something with, as the Devs have put it, will have bespoke mechanics and be like nothing else in the game before it?

Or is it elitist that I want there to be a gate before you enter the activity that requires you to put in some effort to show you are serious about this content and aren't wasting everybody elses time? Look at something like Sea of Thieves Arena. It has matchmaking. Every journalist that has reviewed it, and every player that has played it said they only had an awful time with randos. It will be the same here.

No one on #TeamNoMM here is trying to prevent people from playing the raid. We are trying to prevent people from having a bad time from playing the raid. I mean people in this thread are dumbfounded because they don't see how this 8 player content will be any different than the other missions in the game. The devs have stated it will be a true "raid" experience with mechanics to follow, and wipes and whatnot. The datamined stuff suggests parts where your team will be split up as well.

We should probably wait and see the mechanics of each encounter of the raid before being so sure about anything.

Oh for sure. But going off what we know from data mined stuff and what devs have said "bespoke mechanics, wipes, etc" they are for SURE going to be more complex than an incursion from Div 1. If they reach Destiny levels... that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
There still isn't a single official word from an actual developer on this, is there? Probably in 15min on State of the game?

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
You'd think that page with the 6 different types of matchmaking ingame would have an option but I'd suppose until you're in the raid itself you can't have an 8 party group. Can't even use that as a workaround. Day one there should be lots of people by the copter in your instance, but still.

If this gets to Destiny level? Can't wait for my next obtuse picture puzzle bah gawd, I want a 3rd person shootbang challenge - the puzzle parts should be simple enough that a 12 year old can solve it after shooting bad guys for 45 minutes. The need to be worlds first and all that is stifling the accessibility of these raids for the general public, methinks.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't believe people keep fucking up with this. No matchmaking in the Raid makes me so glad I didn't bother with this game, despite how much I liked the first. It's frustrating as hell to find a Raid group in Destiny 2, and that's only 6 people. Having to find 8 seems tragic.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Mister. I have been playing with randoms from Level 1 to Tier 5, and I have zero issues with people playing like shit or not communicating or rage quitting. I have a clan with 8+ people; good luck having the clan show up at the same time, especially when half the player base has ditched the game.

I will not only eat crow, but I will also bathe in its blood. I rather have matchmaking than no matchmaking, but you Mister can enjoy your wankfest in a dead-ass game.

It's as if *gasp* people just want to play games, and the person on the other end is a human being!

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure i remember them saying the Raid supported matchmaking.... i get that plans can change but fucking hell that's a terrible change. Kills any chance of me coming back to check the raid out.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England

I see your point and being not to far from 50 time is precious but as mentioned popping on Discord will see you doing raids.
Don't get me wrong matchmaking should be an option but if you want to play that part of the game a clan can help.