• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should they add matchmaking for the Raid?

• Yes.

Votes: 176 72.7%
  • No.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • At a later date.

Votes: 36 14.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm at work so I can't watch streams.

Are there Destiny-like mechanics or are bosses just crazy ass bullet sponges who deal insane damage?

I saw Goth wipe. That's about it.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are there Destiny-like mechanics or are bosses just crazy ass bullet sponges who deal insane damage?

I've never played Destiny raids but there are mechanics involved here not just bullet sponge bosses.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Both. I think the bosses might be overtuned personally. Streamerhouse is on the third boss. Definitely not matchmaking ready

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true raid info was datamined, as in solutions and mechanics? I heard someone talking about it on a stream before it launched and looking at Twitch, there is a group somehow on the third or fourth boss, while everyone else is stuck at the first.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Taken from reddit comments
The boss is immune to damage at first. At least one player will have to act as bait. Whoever spots a red eye icon in the middle of the screen – this means the boss will go after them. They should use the furniture in the middle of the room as distractions to slow him down. While they're kiting him, others should deal with adds and mount the turrets. When you see a red box on the boss' back, shoot it in order to stun him. When he drops to his knees, focus damage on him.

The turrets jam easily, so you have to drag the boss around the room. Also, he has a healing plate on his chest. Whoever is baiting him should shoot at it whenever it starts glowing. This will stop him from healing. Keep the adds and the boss away from the turrets – they'll try to destroy them. Also make sure you destroy the signal sources whenever they start glowing again, since they provide immunity to the enemies.

There are terminals in the middle of the room A - D as well. When you hear a prompt from ISAC, you can press to cancel the defense system from reactivating. Keep in mind the prompt isn't long, so you'll most likely need 1 at each terminal.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a new headphone with mic just for the raid. Clearly Maasive will now patch in some sort or MM or in game LFG. Still at WT1 and so far the MM has been great.

This game has provided tons of value to me, and this will be the first raid I complete. I can do patient to see how the raid mechanics play out. I remain excited and have faith in Massive. They missstepped the MM verbiage for the raid but I in for the long haul.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Did i say that?

Raids on Destiny are more complex, not harder, they rely on mechanics where do you need to coordinate certain steps on every stage of the raid, a complete different approach of FFXIV raids where do you spam skills.
Gotta give me proof on FFXIV raids where people just spam skills and don't do mechanics

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta give me proof on FFXIV raids where people just spam skills and don't do mechanics
What does an FF raid entail?

Just from going off of visuals all I see is everyone is in the same room and either laying into the boss or healing. Lots of powers and VFX going off. Though I'm sure there's more nuance than that.

I just know that in Destiny its mostly all very mechanic heavy. You often split off into smaller teams and all have a roll to play. There's often some kind of item someone or a couple people have to handle.

Something like the first Destiny 2 raid is nearly ALL mechanics. DPS matters but mechanics reign supreme. You could have everyone have a 5x damage boost and still fail an encounter if you don't do it right.

Destiny and Division are also more "grounded" in that you don't have an overview of the battlefield. You can only see what you see and have to rely on communication from people elsewhere in the arena. We're already seeing this in the division raid.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The randoms are interested, of course, but they will alt+f4 to the first wipe. And that happens all the time.
in what game? I do MM LFD and MM LFR all the time in WoW. and I would say it's rare that everyone drops after one wipe. in fact, that's very rare and the minority situation

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
There's a good reason why Raid Finder difficulty in WoW is baby's first raid difficulty.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in what game? I do MM LFD and MM LFR all the time in WoW. and I would say it's rare that everyone drops after one wipe. in fact, that's very rare and the minority situation
I'd argue WoW is inherently more hardcore though.

This is a ubisoft AAA
game where 99% of the content is largely completely accessible and easy. No need to min/max.

There are people who play Division as a Ubisoft Action Shooter, not an RPG. And they can clear all content (thus far)

Not to mention I am on Xbox and that population is even more casual.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's a good reason why Raid Finder difficulty in WoW is baby's first raid difficulty.
yeah and I already addressed that in my first posts earlier in the thread

obviously this means making multiple difficulties for the raids in Division or Destiny. and the MM should only be for the easiest difficulty, just like WoW and other MMOs with the same way

now I have seen some posters think it's a "crazy" idea that a raid have multiple difficulties. I have absolutely no fucking clue why anyone would think that. I don't play Destiny, but Division itself *already has different difficulties for all the other missions and strongholds*!

so why the hell is it weird or crazy to make different difficulties for Raids too?

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I don't see how a matchmaking group can defeat the first boss. Premades have been stuck on him for hours. I'm wondering if a nerf will happen in the future.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah and I already addressed that in my first posts earlier in the thread

obviously this means making multiple difficulties for the raids in Division or Destiny. and the MM should only be for the easiest difficulty, just like WoW and other MMOs with the same way

now I have seen some posters think it's a "crazy" idea that a raid have multiple difficulties. I have absolutely no fucking clue why anyone would think that. I don't play Destiny, but Division itself *already has different difficulties for all the other missions and strongholds*!

so why the hell is it weird or crazy to make different difficulties for Raids too?

It's not but enemy difficulty is not what makes the raid difficult. It's the mechanics and communication.

If they wanted to be nice, they'd make a version of the raid that disables all mechanics and just makes the bosses their normal sponges. Stronghold tier.

No raid loot, but you can at least have the mission.

Anything with mechanics will need a premade group.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not but enemy difficulty is not what makes the raid difficult. It's the mechanics and communication.

If they wanted to be nice, they'd make a version of the raid that disables all mechanics and just makes the bosses their normal sponges. Stronghold tier.

No raid loot, but you can at least have the mission.

Anything with mechanics will need a premade group.
ok well at least you're trying to discuss and understand it in a constructive manner

so here's my answer, again straight from WoW --

You are correct about mechanics/communication. So in WoW, the MM LFR difficulty does disable many of the tougher mechanics. It's not just lesser HP or lesser damage. So you are right

as for loot, you still get loot in MM LFR but of course at a lower item level. it should not be zero loot, cmon. Just the lowest item levels

more hardcore players will still play the higher difficulties, because each difficulty has different corresponding item levels

OP
OP
Remark

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I don't see how a matchmaking group can defeat the first boss. Premades have been stuck on him for hours. I'm wondering if a nerf will happen in the future.
The mechanics aren't hard for Boomer. It's just his self-heal that's a problem.

By the time you bring down 2 shield blobs one comes back by the time he comes back. Either there is another mechanic we don't know about that calms that down or that needs to be tuned down a little bit.

I can definitely say watching Marco's Team and Streamerhouse though that normal MM would not have worked. In-game LFG was the smart choice.

Oct 30, 2017
I think part of the issue was that one group did not have any optimized builds so DPS was painstakingly low. They had the strategy pretty much nailed down but the damage wasn't there. Add an increasing number of ads as the fight goes on and you have wipe after wipe.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Taken from reddit comments
The boss is immune to damage at first. At least one player will have to act as bait. Whoever spots a red eye icon in the middle of the screen – this means the boss will go after them. They should use the furniture in the middle of the room as distractions to slow him down. While they're kiting him, others should deal with adds and mount the turrets. When you see a red box on the boss' back, shoot it in order to stun him. When he drops to his knees, focus damage on him.

The turrets jam easily, so you have to drag the boss around the room. Also, he has a healing plate on his chest. Whoever is baiting him should shoot at it whenever it starts glowing. This will stop him from healing. Keep the adds and the boss away from the turrets – they'll try to destroy them. Also make sure you destroy the signal sources whenever they start glowing again, since they provide immunity to the enemies.

There are terminals in the middle of the room A - D as well. When you hear a prompt from ISAC, you can press to cancel the defense system from reactivating. Keep in mind the prompt isn't long, so you'll most likely need 1 at each terminal.

This sounds awesome

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, especially considering how much they harped on matchmaking for everything.

I don't see the difference between a group of 8 strangers that are dedicated to completing the raid vs a group of 8 strangers that found each other on Reddit (aka offline matchmaking) that are deducted to completing the raid.

Just stop with this shit at this point.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long did it take?
Little over 5 hours I believe. By streamers who specialize in the division. I believe the destiny streamers are still struggling.

Honestly after seeing the the raid mechanics the only thing turning on traditional matchmaking would do is let people shoot at an invulnerable enemy in a new location.

Luckily they are working on a in game lfg solution. But traditional matchmaking would be absolutely pointless.

Not sure if they'd consider making a less mechanic heavy version in the future

demi

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of stuff looked overtuned, especially in the first encounter. Some stuff definitely needs to be tweaked

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The mechanics aren't hard for Boomer. It's just his self-heal that's a problem.

By the time you bring down 2 shield blobs one comes back by the time he comes back. Either there is another mechanic we don't know about that calms that down or that needs to be tuned down a little bit.

I can definitely say watching Marco's Team and Streamerhouse though that normal MM would not have worked. In-game LFG was the smart choice.
you shoot the box on his chest when it glows. that stops seaf heal

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Having played the raid for 3hrs last night - matchmaking that shit would be hilarious, absolutely no chance. If they add a 'build a raid team' option with mandatory options like mic, region etc, be fine, but rando matchmaking just wouldn;t work.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Having played the raid for 3hrs last night - matchmaking that shit would be hilarious, absolutely no chance. If they add a 'build a raid team' option with mandatory options like mic, region etc, be fine, but rando matchmaking just wouldn;t work.
Exactly what I and others have been saying.

MM is fine for run of the mill activities, but with raids you're asking for trouble.

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
Destiny and Division have the most mechanically complex, mentally taxing raid design of any game out there. You pretty much need to be on point to do this stuff, it brings out the best of the best.

FF14 BA runs, O12s or Shinryu ex only wish they were half as hard as Destiny or The Divison.

Asking for MM in these games is something that also keeps me awake at night because i just can't live knowing that people will have the option to try and then fail. Me and my dam empathy. Argh!!!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've seen.

Destiny has (at least some) more mechanically complex encounters.

But Division is harder in that it demands execution of certain mechanics WHILE ALSO demanding you have a good gear build.

A good player who is gear score 500 but with random guns and armor will not fare very well here.

I thought I'd get to raid last night but WOOF at my gear. Got some more grinding to do.